• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!
We released the 2.4.2 patch today and now part of the team is on vacation while the rest is working hard to fix as many bugs and improvements as possible for an upcoming 2.4.3 patch.
We obviously ran into a lot of old and new problems with older DLC in 2.4.1, but they should be fixed by now.
Not much else to say at this point. We'll be focusing on getting the game in as good shape as possible and not on adding any new features.
Some things are being re balanced, an example being the Bubonic plague which should hit a lot harder now than before.
Other than that I hope you're having a great summer and are enjoying Horse Lords!

Do you have a quote on that?

They said speeds comparable to 1.1. There have been only statistics completely disproving that. Go read or play. If you played the game since then and actually payed attention you would understand that. There is zero evidence from anyone that live is the speed they mentioned in the dev diaries. All evidence to the contrary.

Reactions:
They said speeds comparable to 1.1. There have been only statistics completely disproving that. Go read or play. If you played the game since then and actually payed attention you would understand that. There is zero evidence from anyone that live is the speed they mentioned in the dev diaries. All evidence to the contrary.
As for me, speed has improved a bit with this patch. But yes, it's not really comparable to 1.1.

Yea, I'm asking for the quote where the devs said that speeds will be comparable to 1.1. I can't find it.

Yea, I'm asking for the quote where the devs said that speeds will be comparable to 1.1. I can't find it.

I think it was by Groogy, though not sure. I am not going to go looking for it, but it has been mentioned many times.

Honestly, what really bothers me is that I haven't actually seen any dev response to this specific issue, yet there have been many responding to minor bugs. If they just acknowledge this as an issue, there would be far less posts about it. But the fact that they continue to spout information on really small bugs/issues (comparatively speaking) is really irritating when they had the community expecting one thing and threw us another.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh so maybe adding the missing rulers in India for some start dates (at least 1066) might be on the agenda?

It is, yes.

Reactions:
Reactions:
@Devs
Great job so far. I've been enjoying 2.4. and HL a lot, even though the statement of us having 1.1 speeds didn't come to pass.

Regarding performance.
My PC is ancient. AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+, 2 GB 533 RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 3850 with 512 MB
From 1.1 to 2.0.x I could play the entire timeframe. A month took (depending on how long the game ran) between a few seconds and half a minute at speed 4. In 2.4. it's now about half a minute for a month with performance occasionally slowing down to 1 day per second on speed 4.
Fun fact: In HoI3 and Vicky2 the game runs faster when zooming out. In CK2 it's the opposite.
Slowdowns happened the longer I played and I really have to chuckle when I read stuff like "CK2 is stuttering on speed 5!!!11", when it always has been like that. Not just in CK, EU has the same problem, HOI and Vicky too.
OFC if people play with a PC whose specs are several times as powerful as the recommended specs you won't notice certain performance issues. If you are like me though and stuck with an 8 years old PC, stuff like this is old news to you.
With an old rig like mine you really want to tweak the engine as much as possible. The only tweak that really improved my performance was removing India (in 2.3. haven't yet bothered to rewrite the silk road so I can safely remove India). And I guess that's where the main problem is: Too many characters. Too much strain on the engine.

I'm not sure though how CK operates. Does it load all the resources on game start or are there resources that the game accesses while it's running? Or to rephrase my question: Would archiving the game data be possible?

Doesn't have to be mandatory thing. If archiving could solve lots of problems related to performance it would be great to have as feature in the game options.

Thanks for finding the quotes. I've been unfair. Since 2.4 was not public, those claims could have very well been true.
So you're telling me that they managed to go from "much much faster than 1.0" to slower than ROI in one mini-patch? 2.4.1 was primarily a bug-fixing patch so there's no way that they could have crushed the performance that much.

Thanks for finding the quotes. I've been unfair. Since 2.4 was not public, those claims could have very well been true.

While I personally have no information (and we probably never will) I do believe 2.4 might have had those good speeds mentioned, but something in the shortly (comparatively speaking) tested 2.4.1 messed it. Again, total speculation.

To me it seems something hard-coded is the culprit, but I could be totally wrong.

Maybe we need to add some kind of "Enjoy your Crusader Kings II responsibly" disclaimer. Don't want you to lose your job or anything ;)
Baldur's Gate on one of the loading screen tooltip had a reminder to the players that while the characters in game don't have to eat, players do...

Maybe you should add something similar? :)

I think it was by Groogy, though not sure. I am not going to go looking for it, but it has been mentioned many times.

Honestly, what really bothers me is that I haven't actually seen any dev response to this specific issue, yet there have been many responding to minor bugs. If they just acknowledge this as an issue, there would be far less posts about it. But the fact that they continue to spout information on really small bugs/issues (comparatively speaking) is really irritating when they had the community expecting one thing and threw us another.

It is, yes.

User says it's not good the devs are not addressing the issue, very next post is from a dev, not addressing the issue.

That's some tunnel vision there witch-king.

Reactions:
In 2.4. it's now about half a minute for a month with performance occasionally slowing down to 1 day per second on speed 4.

I know you're just giving subjective time guesstimates, but how is 1 day per second (30 seconds per month) a slowdown from half a minute per month (30 seconds per month)?

Reactions:
Devs think performance is fine.
I sure hope this is not the case, because if it would be then it's one-way ticket to uninstall valley for this game as far as I'm concerned.

Sure I can just roll back to 2.0.4 and have a good time with fast speeds, but what does that make for all the euros I spent on DLC after that?

I don't see a patch on my Steam anywhere, and if I go to the Betas tab where I have access to all of the patches then it still lists 2.4.2 as a Beta patch and that I should use it at my own risk :confused:

Am I missing out on something here? The threads here are saying it launched, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

I know you're just giving subjective time guesstimates, but how is 1 day per second (30 seconds per month) a slowdown from half a minute per month (30 seconds per month)?
well, if the latter involves 0.5 seconds per day (so 15 seconds per month), with an additional 7.5 second stutter per half-month, it might feel subjectively faster even if the total duration is the same

I don't see a patch on my Steam anywhere, and if I go to the Betas tab where I have access to all of the patches then it still lists 2.4.2 as a Beta patch and that I should use it at my own risk :confused:

Am I missing out on something here? The threads here are saying it launched, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

try verifying integrity of CK2. it should download it afterwards

restart steam