Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Once more, thank you very much everyone.

Unfortunately, I've not had as much chance to read lately as I would like, so I took awhile this morning to wander the forums and find my successor. I also wanted to get away from the 'newer' games (EU4/CK2) and shine the light on their Victorian sister.

The AAR I'm recommending is very detailed. It might be a bit wordy for some, but if you dig into it you'll find the beginnings of a plausible history that's deeply rooted in the context of the time. I don't know enough British history to be sure how much really happened, and how much comes from the author's imagination, and the fact I can't tell gives this work an authenticity that very few writers, myself included, can hope to match.

Without further ado, I present to you A Biography of Great Men – A History of Britain: 1836-1935 by DensleyBlair.

Very well deserved -- congrats, DensleyBlair!

Congrats!

Congrats, Blair. Bask in your glory while you celebrate. But not too much basking, for it would be bad for your health. I even hear reports that it could make your liberal condition even worse...terrible thought indeed.

Once more, thank you very much everyone.

Unfortunately, I've not had as much chance to read lately as I would like, so I took awhile this morning to wander the forums and find my successor. I also wanted to get away from the 'newer' games (EU4/CK2) and shine the light on their Victorian sister.

The AAR I'm recommending is very detailed. It might be a bit wordy for some, but if you dig into it you'll find the beginnings of a plausible history that's deeply rooted in the context of the time. I don't know enough British history to be sure how much really happened, and how much comes from the author's imagination, and the fact I can't tell gives this work an authenticity that very few writers, myself included, can hope to match.

Without further ado, I present to you A Biography of Great Men – A History of Britain: 1836-1935 by DensleyBlair.

Wow! Thanks a lot, CatKnight. Receiving an award is always a really nice surprise (and finding out I'd won certainly lifted an otherwise monotonous bus journey,) but to receive one from the author of one's favourite narrative AAR is an even bigger bonus. :)

I'm really humbled that A Biography had received such a warm reception. I hadn't expected it to be half as popular as it is, so I'm really grateful to everyone who has commented and read thus far. 19th century British poltical history is a favoured topic of mine, so being able to share that passion with others is really great – especially eating dialogues going and discussing events from the updates and history, which is always very enjoyable. I feel compelled now to get the next update together, though my GCSEs may have other ideas...

In the words of David Bowie:

"Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!"

(Not as poetic as the words of a certain Farrokh Bulsara I know, but variety is the spice, and all that.)

As ever, I'll be back on Sunday with a successor.

Very well deserved -- congrats, DensleyBlair!

Thanks Avindian!

Congratz!

Thanks BR. Hope to see you back in-thread some time soon. ;)

Great choice - congratulations Densley! I have a lot of catching up to do it seems, you've moved on a bit since the last update I read!

I look forward to having you caught up again. :)

Thanks, Seel.

Congrats!

Thanks, Nikolai!

Congratulations DB!

Thank you, Big D!

Congratulations, Messr. Blair! It appears you have yet another AAR out there that I'm unaware of. I should take a peek - haven't been in the Victoria forums for a while, anyway.

Thanks a lot, Mjnhr. Stuyvesant! ;) I'd be honoured to have you along for the ride.

I think, despite being relatively new, your AAR will turn out to be one of the best Victoria ones out there. Congratulations Densley!

Wow, that's high praise indeed! Thanks, The B!

Congrats, Blair. Bask in your glory while you celebrate. But not too much basking, for it would be bad for your health. I even hear reports that it could make your liberal condition even worse...terrible thought indeed.

You know, I actually made the Tories look pretty good last update. :p

Thanks, King!

Congrats Densley! I didn't even know about that AAR :) Going to have to go check it out soon!

It'd be great to see you there, tnick. Thanks for the good wishes. :)

Great to see an excellent AAR gaining some award-related attention!

Congratulations! It's very well deserved for a fantastic AAR

Congratulations DensleyBlair! A Biography of Great Men is an excellent AAR.

Thanks Zorro! Your comments are always greatly valued. :)

Just got to catch up Densley, but I will soon ;)

I look forward to it. ;)

Great to see an excellent AAR gaining some award-related attention!

Why thank you very much! It's always good to have followers of AARs able to provide comments based on knowledge of the period about which you're writing, and I very much enjoy the debates those comments sometimes spark. Thanks a lot, Tanzhang. :)

Congratulations! It's very well deserved for a fantastic AAR

Thanks a lot, Mondo! It's always old to see you in thread. :)

Great AAR, I'm looking forward to getting caught up with it. Congratulations on a well deserved award.

I look forward to it too. Thanks again, Seel.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to go and check out ABoGM as a result of this award. I hope to continue to see many of you going forward. :)

Before I hand over the award, though, I have to make a couple of apologies:

First, sorry for doing this on Monday rather than Sunday – half of it is me selfishly wanting to keep the award for a full week. The other half is to do with things out of my control.

Secondly, usually when handing on an award I try and select someone or an AAR from another section of AARland. Sorry, that won't be the case this week – but I feel that I would be doing our next incumbent a disservice by doing so.

The AAR I have chosen deals with, I think it is fair to say, a relatively clichéd period of Victoria's history, and yet it is this element that heightens my respect for both the AAR and the author. With this AAR, we get a level of depth that I have seldom seen in similarly themed pieces before, with just the right balance between giving us readers all of the juicy details and moving along with some expedition. Not to mention the prospect of a poltical focus; politics basically being the reason why I love Vicky so much.

Despite this, the updates are nicely paced and concise – not too verbose, but satisfying enough that one is able to comment after each installment. It is relatively wordy (especially for an AAR of its subject matter) though this is something that, as anyine who has read any of my work will be able to tell you, I enjoy. It hasn't been running for too long, so there is still plenty of time to sign up for the ride – something which I encourage all of you who haven't yet done so to do.

Please give your very warmest contrafibularities to Jape, for the brilliant A House United: America in the Civil War and Beyond!

Congrats Jape!

A very good choice, indeed.