Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Muchly deserved - a masterpiece in the making

Congratulations. I look forward to the day when I can finally catch up with chapter V.

Well, you guys really know how to kick the Black Dog in the haunches. Black Dog goes yipping out of the room to hide under the bed... And I thank you for that. I admit, I was a bit down yesterday but this news certainly turns my mood. Thanks especially to TreizeV for picking it out of the huge amount of material to choose from. Believe it or not, I have been writing this thing for just about a year (with a few breaks in there :rolleyes: ) and I sometimes fear I will be writing it for another year if I keep slowing up every two months or so. Let's hope not.

So, Into the West - what is it and why? Well, read the thing to answer that question. :p No, seriously - as I was finishing up my Persia AAR in Victoria, I started having these ideas of a western - the period of Victoria is perfect for it timewise and it would be easy to structure a story like that around a game as the USA.

What started as a simple western has now seen me fight the Civil War and just now has my main character, Sonny Gamble starting his move out west. And he's got much more to deal with as he travels that road.

This is a story driven AAR in serial format. If you want game mechanics, it is not for you. I was inspired to write this by many people, but among them were TreizeV's own Vive L'Emperer, the tremendous work of Lord Durham, the terribly prolific MrT when he was around on a regular basis - most especially his outstanding beginning of Rivers Run Red, and some major portions of Director's Napoleon AAR which is reviewed in the Gazette. And of course, my first AAR inspiration - the amazing characters of Ariel's England AARs - both in EUI and EUII.

You will get battles, hardships, friendships and heartache, loss and even some gain (though you have to look hard for it ;) ) - in short, I'm doing my best to create a very real human being going through a very real period that we recall as larger than life. The war and the old west. I'm halfway there. Let's hope I can get to the end. This honor will greatly assist in that endeavor. Thanks once again TreizeV and thanks to the rest of you for some very kind words. Now go read my AAR! ;) :D

A truly splendid AAR. Excellent choice by TreizeV and Congratulations Coz1!

I'm a little late but congrats TreizeV on being selected and on making a great choice for the next winner coz1. I've been reading both stories for some time now and plan of sticking around for the duration. Well done to you both. :cool:

Joe

Well, it appears to be that time again to pass on the showcase to another deserving AAR.

First, let me say thank you once again for al the kind words you have said about my own work and I hope that you will have the same good feelings about this next AAR that I wish to see showcased. If you are not reading it, then you should be.

So let's all take a look at stnylan's A History of Lord Roger de Courseulles and his successors - a Somerset AAR in the CK forum. Very similar in style to his sadly unfinished EUII AAR titled MonAARstery Chronicles, this AAR follows a Norman Count given land in England by William after The Conquest.

With outstanding writing, interesting characters and plenty of activity, stnylan has a wonderful ability to describe events that can certainly teach all of us how to incoporate them into our work. So take a look at it and enjoy. And then come back here and give stnylan your congrats on his work being showcased. I think it is quite deserving. Congratulations stnylan! :D

Congratulations Stynlan! I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor for this AAR and I've really enjoyed following it. Little things like the construction of a library are just wonderfully treated in the chronicle. Then there is the agendas of the chronicle writer which makes it even more interesting guessing what "really happened."

What else can I say, it's a great AAR. :D

Go stnylan!

Congratulations, stnylan, and an excellent choice coz1. I have to say that reading this AAR has made my own experience of playing CK a whole lot more vivid - suddenly just clicking on a fishing wharf to build it seems like an adventure in itself! Outstanding!

Thank you all (and especially coz1), and sorry for not replying here sooner myself. I honestly didn't really know what to say. When I started playing my current game I wasn't really intending to write an AAR - it was more of a learning exercise in how best to take notes for CK, to learn skills to apply at a later date. It was also my first game as a count, but after a certain event (now told) I thought I could make something of the game, so...

My great inspiration, as was the case for MonAARsteries, is the redoubtable Havard, whose Tuitio Fidei - an EU2 AAR about the Knights of St John (which older hands among the forum may remember). Of course there are other AARs I might cite, but his was the first AAR I ever read (and also iirc the first I commented in), and it marks me still.

The AAR itself is a chronicle following the career of the count of Somerset, and has so far reached 1082 (1083 if I manage to finish the update I'm writing tonight). It is told by Brother William. I have played far enough to know that Lord Roger has at least one successor - and a good chance of several more!

Since mention has been made of Libraries and Fishing Wharves, well, why not? What stories lie behind the basic events of the game? And therein is the chief reason for this AAR - a place for me to indulge in my love of game events. But not only that, but also my love for chronicles and, at least as important, chroniclers. And for that the author of this book is entirely responible (he was a professor of mine at uni).

Anyway, thanks to all who have read it. I hope you continue to do so, and now it's back to the writing desk.

Just time to pass this on before I have my dinner.

Now for something completely different. I first came across the author in the Vicky forums, but this is an offering from HoI2. A person who has shown a distinct attachment to one country in particular, no matter what delusional odds are stacked against him. In this case the Italian army. It's Secrets of the AARk by anonymous4401. Enjoy the Lobsters, I certainly have.

A humorous look at Ethiopia trying to survive the Italian onslaught. Really nice!

A welcome addition to the showcased AARs. Anonymous4401 has spent a great deal of time plugging along in AARland and I can't think of another that deserves a showcase more at the moment. Keep it up and congrats, anonymous! :D

Wow, what an honour!

I must say that I am deeply honoured by this. Thanks, stnylan!

When I first got HOI2, I saw the hopeless situation that Ethiopia was in, and wondered if it could be rescued at all. I tried several times before finally finding a strategy that worked, and its success has been overwhelming. I actually started the AAR intending it to be a short piece, ten or twelve updates at most, with humour as its objective. I was going to lose gracefully, describing the troubles of my hopeless situation humourously. But then I had to go and survive...

The Semi-Lobster idea came to me when I couldn't think of anything, and I latched onto it with both hands. As a way of recognizing my #1 fan in my Delusions of Grandeur AAR, as Semi-Lobster has been there from the beginning, nearly a year ago, always coming back even when I stopped writing for months at a time.

Personally, I can't wait until next Sunday, to award the next Showcase.

Good show! Well deserved and all that.

It's been a while since I have read such a ludicrous tale. :) And I mean that in the best way possible! It's a fun diversion to cheer me up between tasks. With half-lobsters, outrageous Italian accents and even more outrageous mustaches, you just have to wonder: what does anonymous spike his coffee with? :p

Congratulations on being awarded the Showcase, anonymous4401. I'll see you in your thread some day soon. :)