Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apologies for not nominating someone earlier in the day, got sidetracked by football :)

But anyways, it's always hard to choose just one AAR or WritAAR as there are many great ones out there. I was leaning towards sending this over to the EUIV side of the railroad tracks, but I discovered an AAR earlier this week in CKII that has just been way too entertaining and has given me quite a few laughs.

So with that in mind I'm naming Avindian's The Oldest God -- A Zoroastrian CKII AAR (featuring Death) as this week's AAR Showcase.

It's quite the entertaining read, and very funny, full of weresloth tests and Wincest, so definitely think people should go check it out!

I think it is especially fitting to give this award to the originator of this thread (who has, somehow, only won this once before -- can you believe it?!) for his superb Random World Order -- congratulations, CatKnight!

Only once before? Wow. Very good choice, Avindian – and very well deserved CatKnight! (Thanks once again for helping with the research, by the way. :))

A great choice Avindian, I've been really enjoying Random World Order , and it is great to see the work of the OP feature. Congratulations Catknight, richly deserved!

Wow! Thanks Avindian!

(Though I'll note in passing this is my fourth Showcase.)

I never expected Random to be so popular. After being soundly thumped in Tannenberg IV I wanted to keep writing AARs, but not be so deeply invested if things went poorly again.

Random's premise is simple enough: I started with a country selected by the 'Random Nation' button on the set up screen. I then play in 5 year spurts, rolling a die each time to see whether I stay with that country for another session or load as another 'random' country. We've taken to claiming they're 'Johan's Dice' as sometimes they do feel like the whim of an all powerful, capricious god.

Some of the country choices have been painful: OPM Luxembourg and Bengal come to mind. Others have been more fun: The Timurids/Mughals and Morocco for example.

I'm especially honored that a handful of similar 'random' AARs have sprung up citing this as their inspiration. I encourage you to check them out:

Along with my own inspiration, EU2's Three Countries, One Goal by Storey.

Thank you once again for this amazing honor. I've always been fond of the 'Weekly Showcase' and am overjoyed that it's still going strong after seven years.

Congratulations! I need to catch up again (and I will, give or take a few days), but I've immensely enjoyed RWO so far. A simple concept that makes for compelling reading, in easily digestible chunks. :)

Oh, and anything inspired by Joe Storey's old magnum opus gets bumped onto my 'must-read' list automatically. I still peruse that old thing every few years...