Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Incumbent Dutch Wordsmith is no more!
Who will congratulate our winner?
As a poet I'm quite a bore, and
I'm really only a beginner.

That's no true, really, and
Though I don't like to brag,
Wordplay and poetry is
Sort of my bag.

So never fear; Densley is here!
To delight and amuse and regale,
(And when my couplets enter your ears,
You might just turn pale...)

So congratulations, my friend!
You've lucked out again this time;
May this streak never cease or end, and—
Sod it – I can't be bothered to think of a final line...

Very well done, Tanzhang. Though my last congratulatory verse was edited, this is wholly original! Enjoy, and many contrafibularities! (You really thought I'd get to the end of the post without a Blackadder reference? ;))

Congratulations Tanzhang!

Firstly, allow me to thank Seelmeister not only for bestowing my personal favourite of the four weekly awards upon my latest (and greatest, possibly?) AAR but for taking the time to write a lovely little write-up of what he thought of it. With these awards, anyone can just drop a title and a link and be done with it, but it takes effort to write even a short description like that - and that effort behind the description, quite frankly, is the true award - not the title of Weekly AAR Showcase or seeing my AAR's name up in lights for a week. Thanks to Seelmeister once again, and I hope I do that effort justice this week as I pass on the award to someone else.

Thanks also to everyone who stopped by to offer their congratulations, I believe it was Densley who first echoed the words of the late Freddie Mercury when he won one of his numerous awards some time ago: "I thank you all!" (he sought to omit the "Fame and fortune and everything that goes with it" bit; so shall I) Allow me to echo the sentiment. Thanks especially to Densley for actually coming up with an original poem to celebrate the occasion (although In all honesty Gen. M., I would have been fine with a re-posting of your fantastic re-working of Britain's favourite maritime anthem. ;)) and to everyone who has commented and read my AAR thus far. I hope to see you all sometime soon within the AAR thread proper!

Anyway, one final thing I'd like to mention is that the Weekly AAR Showcase was actually the first AARland award I ever received, and thus, it occupies a special place within my heart. I think it's very important -- and I'm sure many of you will agree with me on this -- to reward and encourage new writers here in AARland, so it is to a new writer that I chose to name as next week's recipient. And when I say new, I mean brand-spanking, only started his first AAR like 48 hours or so ago new. :)

The AAR in question shows a level of polish and professionalism which one ever so rarely finds in a debut AAR (have you read mine? It's an utter mess! :)) and although most of you will know that narrative AARs really, really aren't my cup of tea, this one is special. It makes you want to follow along, the writing as I say is polished and engaging - plus it references Arthurian myth, which is always a particularly big plus in my book. :)

And so without further ado, I hereby proclaim that The Dragon's Head - Heirs to the Once and Future King be named as this week's Weekly AAR Showcase! It is a very new AAR so please do give it a read and if you have the time, offer some words of encouragement to one of our latest AAR authors. :)

Very many congratulations to gotya for what certainly looks to be an intriguing, engaging piece of work, and, of course, for being this week's recipient.

I posted thanks on my thread but I will reiterate my gratitude here. :)

So how does this work? Do I nominate another work? (when Tanzhang's week is over, of course).

Edit: And of course congratulation to Tanzhang. I believe I posted on his thread some time ago that I found his Rome AAR so interesting and so well written that it inspired me to register on the forums just to comment on the AAR!

Last edited:
My week is over, this is your week. ;)

In seven days time, you name your own nominee.

Okay, so I suppose I will post my nomination now since I face a very busy weekend (Heh, being a history major means too many papers, including the 15-page one due Monday. I haven't even picked a topic), and it is unlikely I will have the time to type this up. (Forgive me, O AARland denizens...).

Anyway, who says an AAR has to be about one game? Or even the game? The AAR I have selected is one of the most unique works on the forum at the moment. It follows several CK2 games, but what makes this one special is that it offers a glimpse into the life and thoughts of the narrator. Granted these thoughts are generally not happy, but they do offer something of an existential thinking point about the nature of these computer games.

That being said, the writing is absolutely suburb and quite witty, far outclassing anything I could possibly write. The writer is an AAR veteran, I know, having won several awards back in 2007, and I think it's quite clear he deserves another.

I present to you The Recluse and the Meta, by Jestor. Check it out! Quite the spectacular read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturally, my sincerest and warmest congratulations for a fine piece of work. Well done, Jestor!

Congratulations Jestor! A very good beginning to your AAR and a well deserved award. I hope you continue your excellent start!