• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Plebiscites should be held in East Prussia, Danzig, Silesia, and Alsace-Lorraine, run by neutral nations (Sweden and/or Switzerland), to ensure fair voting procedures. Any forced movement of people's in order to adjust borders would be akin to cultural genocide. We must respect the roots of the people of Europe, and must let them decide where they wish to live. Any border adjustments must be made with them in mind.

My fellow senators,

I certainly agree that we must avoid fracturing the German peoples and putting undo hardship on them as was done after the Great War. It seems to me, that the best solution is to have German lands together in a unified German nation. If that means that land must be taken from what our allies consider to be theirs, I would remind them that all of their land would be under German control if not for the sacrifice made by brave Americans. And I will be damned if a third generation has to fight and die in a European war for our "allies" because they weren't willing to sacrifice a small bit of land in order to keep the peace.
That being said, the Germans should receive only the regions which are culturally German and wish to join Germany, such as Austria. We shouldn't give them every piece they might want, otherwise we might as well have left Hitler to rule over Europe. I also feel that we must consider how Stalin will act as far as Germany is concerned. Even now the Soviets push on eastern Germany and they will almost surely demand a say in its future. Just, something to consider when drawing up plans for partitioning.

- Senator Andrew Ryan, R-MI

((I won't pretend to know which regions are historically German so I left this post intentionally vague, but it think it gets my point across.))

((One thing we have to consider: How should we simulate the mentioned plebiscite game wise? Random?))

((Either that or somebody can do exhaustive historical research to figure who belongs where.

I call "not it." :)))

((We could also send some Senators to each area.))

((Either that or somebody can do exhaustive historical research to figure who belongs where.

I call "not it." :)))

((The following maps might be of some help:

Germans in Austro-Hungary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Austria_Hungary_ethnic.svg

Closer view of Sudeten German settlement:
http://www.bwbs.de/UserFiles/Image/1936-1940/Sudetenland.jpg

Settlement of Germans in Eastern Europe (mostly useful for determining Silesian and Prussian claims):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Volksdeutsche.jpg

As I don't have HoI3 on this computer (it can't run it), I can't do the exact province determination
))

URGENT FLASH MESSAGE

To all members of Congress,

Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany have surrendered to the allies this day, November 9, 1943. President Willkie has declared this "Victory in Europe Day".

More to follow.

Admiral William D. Leahy, Presidential Chief of Staff

*Sinclaire begins laughing ecstatically, almost forgetting she's in the Senate floor. She then calms down, fixing her glasses.*

Oh, excellent! Today is a bright day, my fellow Americans! Now, let's discuss Europe's bright new future!

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

*Mary stands up and cheers*

Such a great day, I may say it now, it has been a pleasure governing this nation with you for these past seven or more years, fellow Senators. Today is one for the record books... Now it is time to rebuild Europe.

- Senator Mary Philipps (D-CA)

Briefing: January 1, 1944

First, I would like to echo the sentiments of Senators Sinclaire and Phillips; it may please everyone to know that Herr Hitler is under arrest, as are all the heinous members of his regime. The people of Germany are once again free!

General Stillwell was given orders to press harder for Berlin; an order he followed with relish. General Taylor, the new Commander of First Army, was similarly given explicit orders to charge for Berlin and cut off any Soviet expansion to the west.

armygroupfrance1143.jpg

firstarmy1143.jpg

General Patton grumbled that Fourth Army was not to be part of the drive on Berlin, but understood the fighting for him had been especially difficult and his men needed rest. General Hodges of Second Army personally guided his men to their final assault on Bucharest.

seeyalaterromania.jpg

Patrols were ordered in the Pacific, but there was no action of consequence there the last 60 days. ((There was one battle, and neither side lost a ship.))

Victory was achieved in Bucharest on November 4. A Nazi destroyer division was caught off the coast of Holland a few hours later.

romaniadefeated1143.jpg

Five days later, without even needing to occupy Berlin itself, Germany surrendered.

germanyandpolandliberat.jpg

For most of the remaining period, troops in the Atlantic Theater were given leave, apart from an operation to attack Vichy France. With some bureaucratic problems gumming up the works, the invasion began Christmas Day. ((Entirely my fault; I didn't quite get the divisions put together the way shierholzer wanted until I figured out my problem -- I can't strip an INF brigade and leave a support brigade by itself. I created a unit of 2 arty brigades, which solved the problem, but too late to finish with Vichy this update.))

dowvichy.jpg

The operation was simple, and involved three parts. Two reformed infantry divisions would attack north Africa at Tunis and Alger.

invasionoftunis1143.jpg

invasionofalger1243.jpg

Elements of three other corps would simultaneously attack key points in Vichy France itself.

invasionofvichybegins.jpg

By New Year's Eve, Vichy itself had fallen, but resistance proved to be tougher than expected at Alger and Nice. Still, the Allies have already defeated the greatest threat to Europe since Napoleon; only Japan and Vichy France remain to resist. They shall meet the same fate as Hitler and the Nazi Party!

Asia, 1/1/44:

asia1143.jpg

Europe, 1/1/44:

europe1144.jpg

Technologies learned: Naval Strike Tactics 5, Naval Air Targeting 4, Rocket Interceptor, Integrated Support 4, Schwerpunkt 5, Submarine Torpedoes 4,
Units built: 3 x armored division (1 x ARM, 2 x MECH), 1 x CAS, 1 x ranger division (4 x MTN), 1 x airborne division (4 x PARA), 4 x CAG, 2 x FTR, 2 x CV, 6 x TRP (deployed to LA)
Ships sunk: 1 x DD (German)
Convoys sunk: 1/0 (German)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
victoryconditions1144.jpg

As you can see above, we've finished all but five victory conditions. When we beat Vichy, Overlord and Torch will be done. Attacking and puppetting Bulgaria as well as finishing off Japan take care of two more. That leaves just one victory condition, Operation Zeppelin. Specifically, one province.

kiliaprovince.jpg

Therefore, we'd have to beat Japan, Vichy France, Bulgaria... and the Soviet Union. For one province. I propose the following alternative: shierholzer releases Kilia from the USSR via an event. That means, we've got one or two more updates in the AAR. So, we need to vote on three items.

DOW on Bulgaria (Aye or Nay). If no, Bulgaria would be part of the conference mentioned under Poland.
Kilia problem? (Transfer to Romania via event or DOW USSR).
Poland? (Condition fulfilled, Take all of Poland by force,, Take all of Poland via diplomacy.) In the third option, I will roleplay Stalin; the Senate will put together a fair proposal and I will respond in the character of Stalin.

Before I can fairly ask for budget stuff from Gen. Marshall, dresdor, and Matt Adler (if he's still interested), this stuff needs to be settled. Voting will go until Wednesday at 10 PM (-6 GMT). Furthermore, we will wait until the entire period is done unless we have at least ten unanimous votes. EVA will not apply.

So, vote! :)

I vote Aye on attacking Bulgaria. They're known Fascist sellouts.
I say we give the Soviets one chance to cede Kilia to its rightful owner. If it refuses, then we go to war with the Great Bear.
I say we use Diplomacy to secure Poland its rightful borders. Not out of pacifism, but because we own more. We have the advantage, and we can shoot Stalin down politically and save our own boys from further harm.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

I echo the beliefs of my fellow Senator above.

-- Mary Philipps (D-CA)

Early polls:

Bulgaria?
Aye: 3
Nay: 1

Kilia?
Diplomatic solution: 2
War: 2

Poland?
Diplomacy: 2
War: 2

Last edited:
I vote Nay on DoW Bulgaria. I think that Fascist party itself is not bad untill they are rulling good, they won a voting and they are elected by their own people, this isn't Nazi neither Mussolini regime that take reign by force, they also weren't agressive towards other countries.
I vote War in case of Kilia and War in case of East Poland, they should be free, Communist regime is as dangerous as Nazi, we can't negotiate with them! They should not exist, they weren't elected, but they rise to power by force, and by force they are occupying the land that should be free. No one remember about Estionia? Lithuania? Latva? Finland? Romanian Bassarabia? No one remember that Ukraine was helping Germans in invasion of USSR because they wanted to be free? There is no other solution, but war, Stalin would not accept our request to resign from rulling USSR, he would not accept our request to restore democration. THIS IS OUR DUTY!

- Senator Jack Rimbly, VA

I vote Nay on DoW Bulgaria. I think that Fascist party itself is not bad untill they are rulling good, they won a voting and they are elected by their own people, this isn't Nazi neither Mussolini regime that take reign by force, they also weren't agressive towards other countries.
I vote War in case of Kilia and War in case of East Poland, they should be free, Communist regime is as dangerous as Nazi, we can't negotiate with them! They should not exist, they weren't elected, but they rise to power by force, and by force they are occupying the land that should be free. No one remember about Estionia? Lithuania? Latva? Finland? Romanian Bassarabia? No one remember that Ukraine was helping Germans in invasion of USSR because they wanted to be free? There is no other solution, but war, Stalin would not accept our request to resign from rulling USSR, he would not accept our request to restore democration. THIS IS OUR DUTY!

- Senator Jack Rimbly, VA

Votes added.

((Historically, I can't think of anything that would make Stalin give up land, except for more land.))

Senators,

I do not have any specific affection for the peoples of Poland or Moldova. Neither do I loathe the working class of the Soviet Union. What I wouldn't like to see is that these three peoples continue to live under the terror of a communist regime. The people of the Soviet Union deserve a democratic regime as much as we do, so I will vote War on the both Communism-related proposals.

Bulgaria is a different story altogether, yet I do think that we should rid the world of fascism. So War in the case of Bulgaria.

- Senator Ryan Marshall (D-NV)

Votes added. ((Yes, the intent would be some sort of horsetrading for land.))

I vote WAR for all three topics.
However we have to think about Bulgaria:
Some fascists are left even if we beat them, especially Franco's Spain, so you can only argue with removing fascism, if you're willing to dow him also.
-- David Worth Clark (D-ID)

I vote Aye to declare war on Bulgaria.

For the Killa, I vote Diplomacy.

Finally, I say we take Poland, through Diplomacy.

- Sen. Lennox (R-WV)