• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I'm clear:)))

Then the job is yours; please post orders in-thread for the next two months by Wednesday at 10 PM. Remember, we're using AI control (allegedly at the army group level, although practically speaking it's at the army level.) You will fill in only when Tom is unavailable (as he appears to be), but you can certainly help him when you aren't coming up with things on his own.

Honorable members of Congress,

[...]

The War in Europe is winding down. Soon our armies will be in Berlin, and as more of the European coastline falls under Allied boots, the need for the guns of the United States Navy in Europe are needed less. Because of this fact, over the next few months, units should be cycled from the Atlantic to the Pacific theater of operations. It is on the bows of ships that our military power will be projected against the Empire of Japan. It is true that brave marines won the beaches in Europe, but it was the landing craft, battleships and carriers that ensured those victories. I have yet to meet a marine who was not thankful for the heavy guns providing shore bombardment from the decks of our battleships.

The Empire of Japan is a naval powerhouse. They are dangerous even after the losses they have suffered at the hands of the Chinese. This is not the coastal waters of Europe, where the British fleets have hemmed in Germany since the beginning of the war. This will be a battle over the vast Pacific, where Japanese carrier aircraft could strike from beyond the horizon at a moment’s notice. To prosecute this war we will need more ships, more planes, and more marines. It is of vital import that we remember that while Germany will soon be licked, the war is only half done.

Operation Shuffle

I have come before you today to present an endeavor known as Operation Shuffle. The Operation consists of four major parts:

[...]

Secretary Knox,

I appreciate the fine plan you have set forth to reorganize our war efforts into more effective battle groups. I also applaud the initiative in restoring our fighting strength in the West. I have but a small question to put forth, however. The war in the Pacific will require far more resources than the two battle groups that have been put forth, but thinning our efforts in the East could have disastrous consequences should our shipping lines become imperiled in the Atlantic. If you remove those two battle groups, of which I have heard wonderful news about in the Atlantic - who would you have take over those duties? Or are you leaving our men and children in the East to fend for themselves, this close to victory?

I ask for your humble consideration of the circumstances before the redeployment of our resources.

At the service of the United States of America,

Senator Keon Monisset - D(NV)

Senator Monisset,

The two primary naval threats in Europe were from Italy and the Nazis. Italy has been rendered an ally by the victorious invasion of the Italian peninsula, and their navies are now working alongside our own. Similarly, the German surface fleet has been little more than an annoyance. What does remain of the enemy surface fleet is too cowardly to sail into open waters to face our victorious Navy in open battle. Should the need for it arise, two task groups have been retained for the needs of the European theater. These taskgroups are oriented towards supporting a beachhead should the need for another such invasion exist, but they remain powerful surface fleets should the need arise. The real threat in the European waters comes from Axis shipping. As long as convoys get through, the Axis war machine will continue to work. This is why the brave men of our underwater fleet strive day and night to sink as many enemy vessels as they can.

Should these points not sway your opinion that it is too soon to withdraw SAG ‘Oklahoma' and SAG ‘Montana,’ those parts of Operation Shuffle can be delayed until further ground is captured in Europe.

Regards,
-Frank Knox,
Chief of Staff, United States Navy

Senator Monisset,

[...]

Should these points not sway your opinion that it is too soon to withdraw SAG ‘Oklahoma' and SAG ‘Montana,’ those parts of Operation Shuffle can be delayed until further ground is captured in Europe.

Regards,
-Frank Knox,

I find your briefing to be most adequate, Secretary Knox. I merely wanted to confirm that we are not leaving our servicemen without adequate resources. I would be remiss in my duties if I had not checked. Carry on with the state of Nevada's full support, and make us proud.

-Sen. Monisset (D-NV)

Operational Planning Atlantic Theater, 1 July 1943 - 1 September 1943

Until this classification is altered by the President of the United States or the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the contents of this briefing are classified Top Secret. Under the Espionage Act of 1917, the transmission of this briefing in any format to unauthorized parties constitutes an act of treason, and will be prosecuted accordingly.

Administrative Action 1: Set objective for Second Army to Bucuresti, with Blitzing Stance.
Administrative Action 2: Detach 3rd Corps from Third Army and attach it to 1st Army*
Administrative Action 3: Attach 2nd USMC° to 1st Army*
Administrative Action 4: Set 1st Army* objectives to Bayonne, St. Palais and Orlon on Attacking Stance
Operational Action 1: Redeploy Army Group 'Italy' to Ljubljana
Operational Action 2: Move SAG 'Tennessee' in front of Bordeaux, to intercept minor German vessels based there.
--
After Southwestern France is liberated, disband 1st Army* and reattach 3rd Corps to Third Army.
No further need for 2nd USMC°.
--
After Romanian surrender, attach Second Army to Army Group 'France' and set objectives of the latter to Amsterdam, Berlin, and Hannover on Attacking Stance.
--
From the Atlantic Theater point of view, I'm perfectly fine with SAG 'Tennessee' alone, so Operation Shuffle has my OK theater-wise, if needed I would give away SAG 'Arkansas' also.
--
* == Newly created, temporary name.
° == If I could get them for one additional month it would be great. However if they're needed desperately in the Pacific, I could do without them.
--

Sincerely,
Lieutenant General Joseph Stilwell
Deputy Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Theater

[...]

° == If I could get them for one additional month it would be great. However if they're needed desperately in the Pacific, I could do without them.

Sincerely,

PACCOM communique to Secretary Knox, Lieutenant-General Joseph Stilwell:

PACCOM is unable to effectively deploy 2nd USMC. <STOP>
Lack of transports makes unit ineffective<STOP>
Resource may remain in Atlantic <STOP>
Will requisition through Chief of Navy if needed <FULL STOP>

The following reassignments are to occur prior to the beginning of Operation Catalyst.

1st Navy will be renamed CTF “Enterprise”
CTF 'Providence' [Commander F.P. Sherman to be assigned]
CTF 'Portsmouth' [Rear Admiral Stark to be assigned]
CTF ‘Enterprise’ [Commander Scott to be assigned]
SSQ 'Jackal' [Commander Fife to be assigned]
SSQ 'Dingo' [Commander Commstock to be assigned]
TRG 'Bulloch' [Commander Powell to be assigned]

I also formally request the reassignment of the following officers of the Army Air Corps to command Carrier Air Groups: [Note; Not sure if CAGs fall under Navy or Air Force, opinion PVTPrivate?]

Major General Goodwin (to be assigned 1st Enterprise) [1st Enterprise to be renamed 1st CAG]
Major General Belligner (to be assigned 1st Yorktown) [1st Yorktown to be renamed 2nd CAG]
Major General Sallada (to be assigned 14th CAG) [14th CAG to be renamed 3rd CAG]
Major General Kennedy (currently commanding 13th Tactical Bomber Wing, to be assigned 18th CAG) [18th CAG to be renamed 4th CAG]
Major General Krogstad (to be assigned 1st Air Wing) [1st Air Wing to be renamed 6th CAG]
Major General Fitch (to be assigned 3rd Air Wing) [3rd Air Wing to be renamed 9th CAG]
Major General Grow (to be assigned 7th CAG) [Name Retained]
Major General Norstrad (to be assigned 5th Air Wing) [to be renamed 11th CAG]

In addition to retention of the following officers of the Army Air Corps who are already in command of Carrier Air Groups:

Major General Cannon (12th CAG) [Name Retained]
Major General E.R. Harmon (10th CAG) [Name Retained]
Major General Van Ross (16th CAG) [to be renamed “Lucky” 13th CAG]
Major General Mitscher (8th CAG) [Name Retained]

Additionally, the 7th CAG will be reassigned to SAG 'Montana' where it will be based on the CVL USS Independence [which doesn't have a CAG for some reason]

Further reorganization of the United States Navy will occur after the conclusion of Operation Catalyst, according to the tenants laid forth in Operation Shuffle.
-William Franklin Knox

Last edited:

Until this classification is altered by the President of the United States or the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the contents of this briefing are classified Top Secret. Under the Espionage Act of 1917, the transmission of this briefing in any format to unauthorized parties constitutes an act of treason, and will be prosecuted accordingly.

Administrative Action 1: Set objective for Second Army to Bucuresti, with Blitzing Stance.
Administrative Action 2: Detach 3rd Corps from Third Army and attach it to 1st Army*
Administrative Action 4: Set 1st Army* objectives to Bayonne, St. Palais and Orlon on Attacking Stance
Operational Action 2: Move SAG 'Tennessee' in front of Bordeaux, to intercept minor German vessels based there.
--
After Southwestern France is liberated, disband 1st Army* and reattach 3rd Corps to Third Army.
--
After Romanian surrender, attach Second Army to Army Group 'France' and set objectives of the latter to Amsterdam, Berlin, and Hannover on Attacking Stance.
--
From the Atlantic Theater point of view, I'm perfectly fine with SAG 'Tennessee' alone, so Operation Shuffle has my OK theater-wise, if needed I would give away SAG 'Arkansas' also.
--
--

Sincerely,

General Stilwell,

Where is your First Army coming from? General Marshall already has a First Army. Do not forget that you also have mechanized units in Norfolk who may be of some assistance in the Atlantic Theater.

May I assume that General Patton's orders are unchanged? You do not mention him in your plan.

Admiral Leahy, Presidential Chief of Staff

The following reassignments are to occur prior to the beginning of Operation Catalyst.

1st Navy will be renamed CTF “Enterprise”
CTF 'Providence' [Commander F.P. Sherman to be assigned]
CTF 'Portsmouth' [Rear Admiral Stark to be assigned]
CTF ‘Enterprise’ [Commander Scott to be assigned]
SSQ 'Jackal' [Commander Fife to be assigned]
SSQ 'Dingo' [Commander Commstock to be assigned]
TRG 'Bulloch' [Commander Powell to be assigned]

I also formally request the reassignment of the following officers of the Army Air Corps to command Carrier Air Groups: [Note; Not sure if CAGs fall under Navy or Air Force, opinion PVTPrivate?]

Major General Goodwin (to be assigned 1st Enterprise) [1st Enterprise to be renamed 1st CAG]
Major General Belligner (to be assigned 1st Yorktown) [1st Yorktown to be renamed 2nd CAG]
Major General Sallada (to be assigned 14th CAG) [14th CAG to be renamed 3rd CAG]
Major General Kennedy (currently commanding 13th Tactical Bomber Wing, to be assigned 18th CAG) [18th CAG to be renamed 4th CAG]
Major General Krogstad (to be assigned 1st Air Wing) [1st Air Wing to be renamed 6th CAG]
Major General Fitch (to be assigned 3rd Air Wing) [3rd Air Wing to be renamed 9th CAG]
Major General Grow (to be assigned 7th CAG) [Name Retained]
Major General Norstrad (to be assigned 5th Air Wing) [to be renamed 11th CAG]

In addition to retention of the following officers of the Army Air Corps who are already in command of Carrier Air Groups:

Major General Cannon (12th CAG) [Name Retained]
Major General E.R. Harmon (10th CAG) [Name Retained]
Major General Van Ross (16th CAG) [to be renamed “Lucky” 13th CAG]
Major General Mitscher (8th CAG) [Name Retained]

Additionally, the 7th CAG will be reassigned to SAG 'Montana' where it will be based on the CVL USS Independence [which doesn't have a CAG for some reason]

Further reorganization of the United States Navy will occur after the conclusion of Operation Catalyst, according to the tenants laid forth in Operation Shuffle.
-William Franklin Knox

Admiral Knox,

While Carrier Air Groups are, of course, the property of the US Navy, using existing Air Force officers does require the intervention of the USAF. I hope this clears things up.

Admiral Leahy, Presidential Chief of Staff

((If you don't mind, please send me a PM with all changes you intend to make, so I've got them all in one place.))

As 48 hours have passed, Operation Catalyst is officially approved as is. The clock on the Atlantic Theater planning starts now.

Admiral Leahy,

As stated on the bottom of my briefing, 1st Army (not First) is the standard temporary name for a newly created Army, we'll use them only to control the fast liberation of Southwestern France*.
I wasn't fully sure, if the boys in Norfolk we're mine, so I didn't include them into my planning. I'll propose an updated planning in just a few hours.
You're right, General Patton's orders are unchanged, his advance through the alps is comparatively slow (which is not his fault, more a combination of the massed axis forces and the rough terrain there).
* == you, the president, or the senate could rename this unit accordingly. However, keep in mind 1st Army is only temporary for approximately one month.
((AI control below theater level is really bad in managing multiple fronts))

Lieutenant-General Joseph Stilwell,
Deputy Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Theater

ATLCOM communique to Secretary Knox, General Roy S. Geiger:
ATLCOM will deploy 2nd USMC with SAG 'Arkansas' after Southwestern France Campaign. <STOP>
SAG 'Arkansas' will remain in PACCOM if the President or Senate approve. <STOP>
ATLCOM asks for further confirmation of PACCOM and the Chief of the Navy. <FULL STOP>

Admiral Leahy,

As stated on the bottom of my briefing, 1st Army (not First) is the standard temporary name for a newly created Army, we'll use them only to control the fast liberation of Southwestern France*.
I wasn't fully sure, if the boys in Norfolk we're mine, so I didn't include them into my planning. I'll propose an updated planning in just a few hours.
You're right, General Patton's orders are unchanged, his advance through the alps is comparatively slow (which is not his fault, more a combination of the massed axis forces and the rough terrain there).
* == you, the president, or the senate could rename this unit accordingly. However, keep in mind 1st Army is only temporary for approximately one month.
((AI control below theater level is really bad in managing multiple fronts))

Lieutenant-General Joseph Stilwell,
Deputy Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Theater

If I am correct, you propose the new First Army would be composed of 3rd Corps (from Third Army) and 2nd USMC -- is this accurate, or do you anticipate using additional units?

Admiral Leahy

If I am correct, you propose the new First Army would be composed of 3rd Corps (from Third Army) and 2nd USMC -- is this accurate, or do you anticipate using additional units?
Admiral Leahy
You're correct.
Lieutenant-General Stilwell
((1st Army is just the standard name for a newly created army ingame, and I'm not sure, if I could rename troops on my own))
EDIT:
(( General Marshall's First Army is not the same as this 1st Army, Marshall's First Army isn't changed at all ))

Last edited:
revised planning

Administrative Action 5: attach 2nd&3rd&100th(merged with 306th&312th from Norfolk) FTR, 13th TAC, 2nd&5th(merged with 12th from Norfolk) STR to Army Group 'France'
Administrative Action 6: attach 7th FTR to Fourth Army, and 4th FTR to First Army
Operational Action 3: SAG 'Montana'°° ship 5th US Marines to Nantes (attach them to 2nd USMC after arrival)
Operational Action 4: SAG 'Oklahoma'°° rebase to Portsmouth
Operational Action 5: SAG 'Arkansas'°° ship 33rd,4th,7th,8th Division to Dunkirk (attach to newly created 4th Corps, attach 4th Corps to Third Army)

--
After Southwestern France is liberated, disband 1st Army* and reattach 3rd Corps to Second Army.
--
--
From the Atlantic Theater point of view, I'm perfectly fine with SAG 'Tennessee' alone, so Operation Shuffle has my OK theater-wise, if needed I would give away SAG 'Arkansas' also. Also the three TP based in Norfolk (which I assume are mine), aren't needed in the Atlantic, so they might be transferred to PACCOM.
--
° == Will be redeployed after Southwestern France Campaign to PACCOM.
°° == after their actions pictured are done, they could be redeployed to PACCOM, just keep in mind, that 2nd USMC will need one of them to get redeployed.
--

Sincerely,
Lieutenant-General Joseph Warren Stilwell

One final clarification -- by Operational Action 1, are you just moving the HQ or the entirety of Army Group 'Italy'?

With this plan completed, we've got everything we need to update on Thursday night, barring any objections by any Senator.

Senators,
With VE Day close, we should think of the liberation of France. Inextricably connected with that matter is, how we deal with the neutral fascist regime of Philippe Petain in the South. So here is my proposal:
Liberation of Vichy France Bill
This bill proposes the following:
1. After allied forces reached the river Elbe, the Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Theater is ordered to provide sufficient troops for the invasion of Southern France and French Northern Africa.
2. We'll set the goal to conquer Vichy France.
3. After ATLCOM is ready for both invasions, we'll declare war on Vichy France
4. After Vichy France is conquered, we'll liberate France
5. Definite Invasion Plans and OOB's are to be determined by the Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Theater and will be approved separately by the senate.

-- David Worth Clark (D-ID)