• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Poll:

"War Package" (DOW of Japan, Day of Infamy, Law changes)

Aye: 5
Nay: 0

Senators, those of you that are voting to delay war with Germany, what would you have us do if the United Kingdom formally asks us to join? Secretary Smith can maybe put them off for thirty days.

President Willkie

I vehemently vote yes. Do you see, everyone? Do you see why I have pushed incessently for us to fight for democracy and anti-fascism? Now we must pick up our guns and blades, and fight the Japanese and bring them to their deaths.

I vote yes on German war. Let us burn Berlin with our bombers. Let us bring the Axis menace down, before the goliath that is the American Eagle!

New Poll:

"War Package"

Aye: 6
Nay: 0

Under the provisions of the Emergency Voting Act, I consider the War Package signed into law.

War with Germany

Now: 1
Delay: 2

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Congress, I look upon this situation with a grim sadness. It seems war is inevitable and that our attempts to make peace have failed.

Make no mistake, the Germans may have not declared war upon us yet, but in time they will. America can no longer stand still and simply wait for the Germans to come to us. We must intervene in Europe before it is too late and we face Germans and Japanese on their own terms. Let us take the initiative.

I vote AYE on all four motions. Let us go to war with the Germans before they go to war with us.

~Senator Sarah Quentin O'Hanahan, D-OR

Senators. I am not voting against war with Germany. I am voting against war with Germany NOW. Let us give our military time to prepare for the war, then fight it when we are ready. We chose to join the Allies. War with Germany is inevitable now. Let us get our boys in position first.

I vote:
AYE on DOW Japan
NAY on DOW Germany
NAY for enacted laws
AYE to... what was that last one... Oh. Day of Infamy.

Sebastian Lender, D-GA

Last edited:
This is an outrage! The nerve of those Japanese! I vote AYE on all measures to instate a full state of emergency.

The Germans will no doubt declare war upon us very soon, let them come I say. Let them come. That snot-nosed Austrian will never know what hit him! ((This would be my choice to delay the war with Germany, but as it was irl, I expect them to declare on us very soon))

-Senator De Brink, D-WY.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear members of Congress,

As Chief of the Army, I implore you to enact emergency laws to redistribute funds into the increased need of the army. Give us the possibility to use our full arsenal, and I shall see fit that the fascist menace will be pushed back into the heart of Berlin itself.
"Give us liberty, or give us death" has never again been this paramount and true to our times as it was since 165 years ago.
Give the military the chance to defeat these devils.

-General Malin Craig

"General Craig is right. As Chief of the Navy, I too insist that enabling the military to use its full might is the quickest and best way to end this war decisively. The Arsenal of Democracy is vast, and with our full power we will surely defeat the Japanese and Germans swiftly and decisively!"

~Admiral William H. Standley

New poll:

DOW Germany

Now: 2
Delay: 3

Saithis, I'm interpreting your vote as declare war on Germany now.

Also, note that the War Package measures are enacted, as of the earlier post, so let's focus on the war now :)

((War on Germany was my intention, yes. I was retroactively RPing since I missed the window.))

Aye to every war measure except the industrial laws. In times as desperate as these, simply mandating a mixture of industrial and consumer goods is not enough - we must harness our deepest reserves of strength, and direct all our efforts to manufacturing for the war effort.

Let the Germans come with all their hordes, their Italian allies and Japanese partners, their Balkan puppets and their conquered slaves; we beat them in the last war, and we'll beat them once more today. Let there be war with Japan, war with Germany now, and war with the Axis to the last man!

- Senator Stephen McCarthy (D-TX)

((Once we activate Day of Infamy, we'll have enough National Unity to switch to Heavy Industry Emphasis, which IMO is a better law choice than Mixed Industry. Also, Chiefs, I have plans for the Norway invasion ready - do you want them now, or should I wait until I get the North Africa plans?))

"I'm in agreement with Senator McCarthy, we're fighting a surprise war on Japan's terms, we need to begin producing weapons en masse or there will be no victory for America. I second the motion to enact emphasis on heavy industry instead of consumer goods. The people will understand, now that we have been attacked so unjustly."

~Senator Sarah Quentin O'Hanahan, D-OR

((I'm fine with seeing the Norway plan now. I'm drawing up plans for the military occupation of the Philippines and reinforcement of Guam as well as combat deployments into the Pacific. Do we have anyone interested in becoming Pacific Commander? It'd be great on my free time if I didn't have to do it, although I'm happy to be the interim one.))

I endorse the Heavy Industry Emphasis espoused by McCarthy and Hanahan; with three more votes, I will sign it into law under the Emergency Voting Act.

President Willkie

((Oh, I almost forgot: we were embargoed by Hungary and Finland. So there's that. :rolleyes:))

I vote Aye on both DOWing Germany now and the Heavy Industry Emphasis.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

The Axis powers have shown themselves ruthless aggressors who will not stop until they have enslaved the world. Although I have advocated diplomacy, that time has passed and the time for war has come. I vote Yes to declare war on Germany and Japan.

Thomas Rudolph [R-OH]

One more vote to get Heavy Industry instead of Mixed needed.

Poll:

German DOW

Aye: 4
Nay: 3

Senator Rudolph, could you make your position plain? Would you like war with Germany now or later?

President Willkie

As soon as our allies officialy call us into war with Germany, we should be ready to strike! Until then, let us focus on showing the Japanese they are in a little bit over their heads.

I also vote Aye on Heavy Industry.

- Sen. John Linton, D-FL

I also vote Aye on Heavy Industry.

((Thanks for the Norway plan update.))

I'll sign Heavy Industry into law under EVA.

German DOW

Now 4
Delay 4