• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To Senator John Davis

As one of the Senators from Illinois, and I think my fellow Senator will agree, is that we will not lend any assistance to any nuclear warfare activity in our state. We see the Mississippi River as a unique landmark that stands as a symbol to restore unity between the African-American community and our own. Such a landmark can not be used for a weapon which only purpose is to destroy.

Because O'l man river, just keeps rolling along.

With regards,

Senator Gordon Sinclair.

To Senator John Davis

As one of the Senators from Illinois, and I think my fellow Senator will agree, is that we will not lend any assistance to any nuclear warfare activity in our state. We see the Mississippi River as a unique landmark that stands as a symbol to restore unity between the African-American community and our own. Such a landmark can not be used for a weapon which only purpose is to destroy.

Because O'l man river, just keeps rolling along.

With regards,

Senator Gordon Sinclair.

I agree with my brother senator. The serene hills and grasslands of the midwest should not be used for nuclear testing. That should be left to the desolate states of the southwest!

- Sen. Wilhelm Tiffany Winklebottom, R-OH

To My Fellow Senators G. Sinclair of Illinois and W. T. Winklebottom of Ohio,

You would let the vile and dark powers of Imperialism and Tyranny to over run this great land over something as a river? If we were invaded would you still share this view? All I am simply saying is to use the mighty Mississippi River System for Research and Development. I have talked to many nuclear physicists, such as the prestigious Enrico Fermi, and they tell me that the adverse effects(if there were any) of R&D on the River would be miniscule. If you think that I would let the military test the weapon anywhere near the Midwest you are very much mistaken. I agree that should remain in the southwest.

Also, Sinclair, while there would nothing I would want more than to help the plight of the Black man(in fact I be more than happy to work with you in that regard) a river would not bring equality to them. Only the deconstruction of Jim Crow could possibly help them.

- Senator Jim Davis I-IN

I hate to intrude on the matters of Midwesterners as a New Englander, but as a scientist, I can safely assur you that the Southwest would be a better better area for nuclear testing. We don't know much of this technology yet, so let's not potentially affect too many lives. States such as New Mexico, Oklahoma, and the western parts of Texas would be more ideal for nukes.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire

Senators,

Are we speaking of possible sites for a nuclear reactor, or possible testing sites for nuclear devices?

- Gen. MacArthur

Hm, the general asks a good point. A nuclear reactor is far less dangerous than a nuclear test site.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire

To My Fellow Senators G. Sinclair of Illinois and W. T. Winklebottom of Ohio,

You would let the vile and dark powers of Imperialism and Tyranny to over run this great land over something as a river? If we were invaded would you still share this view? All I am simply saying is to use the mighty Mississippi River System for Research and Development. I have talked to many nuclear physicists, such as the prestigious Enrico Fermi, and they tell me that the adverse effects(if there were any) of R&D on the River would be miniscule. If you think that I would let the military test the weapon anywhere near the Midwest you are very much mistaken. I agree that should remain in the southwest.

Also, Sinclair, while there would nothing I would want more than to help the plight of the Black man(in fact I be more than happy to work with you in that regard) a river would not bring equality to them. Only the deconstruction of Jim Crow could possibly help them.

- Senator Jim Davis I-IN

Yet if there WERE a problem, millions of people could be affected. There are no miniscule affects when it comes to radiation. Why not put the reactor in a more remote part of the nation?

~ Sen. Wilhelm Tiffany Winklebottom, R-OH

((Welcome aboard, EU3NOOB, you're on the list.))

I give my support to the current budget proposal, I would also give my support to the proposal to build a nuclear reactor however I propose it be moved to the Alaska territory.

Sen. Conrelius Fredrickson of Virginia.

When dealing with such an unknown and dangerous technology it seems prudent to keep it as isolated as possible, yet we must compromise with practicality. Alaska is simply too remote to make a good test site. I would support a central location near the Grand Canyon (relatively speaking) with good rail access and hydroelectric power. Another promising site is in Washington state which is sparsely populated and posses waterways. Also, keeping any nuclear facilities in isolated areas will remove them from the prying eyes of any foreign infiltrators providing another advantage to backwoods sites.

-Sen. Thomas Rudolf [R-OH]

Timeline of events: January 1 1937 - June 30 1937

While still paused:

Espionage -- Germany, Italy, Japan, France, UK, and USSR all at three priority. Canada, Mexico, both Spains at two priority. All other priorities removed.
Build queue -- Add four serial divisions of 3 INF x 1 ART. Not reserves.
Techs -- For discretionary techs, I add RADAR and keep the two air force doctrines alive, for now.

January 1, 1937: Soviets do Great Officer Purge.
January 5, 1937: Construction starts on 1 strategic bomber and 2 serial builds of one interceptor wing.
January 8, 1937: Light Tank Armor 2 completed. Research continues.
February 12, 1937: Industrial Efficiency 5 and Industrial Production 5 are completed; due to inefficiency, further research in these fields is cancelled.
February 20, 1937: Encryption Machine and Decryption Machine 1 are completed; due to inefficiency, further research in these fields is cancelled.
February 22, 1937: Fighter Ground Control 1 is completed. Research continues.
February 26, 1937: Airborne Assault Tactics 1 is completed. Research continues.
March 1, 1937: Tactical Air Command 1 is completed. Research continues. I discover we have a little more IC to play with thanks to research; by Executive Order, serial builds of infrastructure are ordered for Montana and Idaho, which will bring us up to 10 for all relevant provinces. Specifics can be seen in build queue at the end of the State of the Union.
March 30, 1937: Supply Production 5 is completed; further research in this field is cancelled.
April 6, 1937: Construction begins on active duty cavalry division, 3 X CAV. Four artillery brigades added to queue as well (I think you or I miscounted last time, Tom.)
April 15, 1937: Cavalry Anti-Tank Weapons 3 and Cavalry Support Weapons 3 are finished. Further research cancelled by order of Chief of the Army.
April 16, 1937: Cavalry Light Artillery 3 finished. Further research cancelled by order of Chief of the Army.
April 26, 1937: I notice a consistent shortfall in cash; I sell 10 supplies per day to the UK for $1.88/day.
April 28, 1937: Nationalists win Spanish Civil War; they get bumped to priority 3 in espionage.
May 5, 1937: Basing 1 is completed. Cruiser Crew Training begins.
May 8, 1937: Cavalry Small Arms 3 is completed; further research cancelled.
May 12, 1937: Super Heavy Battleships and Small Arms 2 are finished. Operational Level Organization and Battleship Engine 3 are added.
May 19, 1937: Aircraft Carrier AA Armament, Hangar, and Engine 3 all completed. Research continues.
May 24, 1937: Light Cruiser Main Armament 3 finished; research continues.
June 1, 1937: Interception Tactics 2 finished; research continues.
June 4, 1937: Light Artillery and Infantry Anti-Tank Weapons 1 finish; research continues.
June 5, 1937: Medium Tank Brigade finishes. Medium Tank Armor begins.
June 19, 1937: Light Cruiser AA Armament 3 finishes; research continues.
June 23, 1937: Light Cruiser Engine 3 finishes; research continues.
June 30, 1937: Supply Transportation 1 and Light Cruiser Armor 3 finish; research continues on both.

State of the Union coming soon.

State of the Union: July 1937

My fellow Americans,

Our nation continues to grow at an impressive rate. Although our production of arms has escalated slightly, I believe this is a wise decision. Germany and Italy have been quiet, but there are shocking events coming out of the Soviet Union and Spain.

According to our Ambassador to Moscow, a number of Soviet officers, most notably Marshal Tukhachevsky, were found guilty of treason and shot. Our Ambassador suggests that these trials were not, strictly speaking, entirely legal, but there is little hard proof to dispute. It is nonetheless troubling, to say the least, and may cripple the Soviet Union's army for years to come. This may only encourage Chancellor Hitler's aggression.

37purge.jpg

The Nationalists proclaimed victory over the Republicans in Spain. I cannot help but worry that we may have been able to support a democratically elected government. I can only pray this will not hurt us in the long run.

37scwover.jpg

I know many of you have been curious about the concepts of nuclear power which have been suggested by some of the world's top scientists. I have decided to instruct our scientists to investigate this matter closely at their earliest convenience; we will worry about placement of reactors when and if the design becomes practicable. ((I'll start the first available nuclear tech at the first possible opportunity in-game.))

Mr. Astor has drastically overhauled our intelligence forces; top priority has been given to France, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Japan, and Spain, with strong local offices being maintained in Mexico and Canada.

The world has been mostly quiet these past months. I cannot believe, even on my best days, that this quiet will continue. It may be the calm before the storm.

In any case, I have enclosed the latest reports from my personal Chief of Staff.

Thank you, and good night.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IC and build queue:

37ic.jpg

37buildqueue.jpg

Leadership and tech queue ((Note, I added a few techs before I unpaused, but didn't remember to write them down. I'll remember to do this next time :rolleyes:))

37leadership.jpg

37techqueue.jpg

Save game for 7/1/37: Click here.

We've gone from 156 IC to 159 IC, thanks to techs. I welcome a bill that suggests a use for this additional IC.

We also need to reevaluate foreign policy. Vote for alignment is, as always, Axis, Allies, Comintern or Isolation.

Other bills may be proposed; deadline for votes and new bills is Friday, January 27, at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT).

Sen. John Davis of Indiana proposes a possible fifth option: Form a fourth faction, The American Faction. This faction would theoretically consist of the free nations of the Western Hemisphere. The American Faction would fight the twin evils of Imperialism and Communism. If the Allies, though are imperialists they still hold the basic western ideals of freedom, agree to dismantle their antiquated empires they are more than welcome to join forces with the still theoretical "American Faction" to eliminate the Axis and Comintern. But I hope I never see the day when America joins forces with Hitler or that Stalin fellow.

I've made my proposal and my case for it now I await the decision of my honorable colleagues.

(@Avindian: My proposal would make for an interesting game.)

Last edited:
Sen. John Davis of Indiana proposes a possible fifth option: Form a fourth faction, The American Faction. This faction would theoretically consist of the free nations of the Western Hemisphere. The American Faction would fight the twin evils of Imperialism and Communism. If the Allies, though are imperialists they still hold the basic western ideals of freedom, agree to dismantle their antiquated empires they are more than welcome to join forces with the still theoretical "American Faction" to eliminate the Axis and Comintern. But I hope I never see the day when America joins forces with Hitler or that Stalin fellow.

I've made my proposal and my case for it now I await the decision of my honorable colleagues.

(@Avindian: My proposal would make for an interesting game.)

Though I disagree with you when it comes to nuclear testing, this my fellow senator, is a wonderful idea. I will put my full force behind this.

~ Sen. Wilhelm T. Winklebottom, R-OH

To Sen. John Davis.

Then would you also propose to release the nations of Liberia, Panama canal and the Phillipines? Let's face it, we are even imperialistic as the old nations of Europe, I think to create such a new faction we should first resolve these problems within our borders, otherwise we are just being hypocritical. I think you make some solid points in what you say senator Davis, but it's a little more complicated. I'm still for better relationships with the Allies. Communism and Fascism are the biggest threats in the world right now.

Sen. Gordon Sinclair.

((I like the idea of the American Faction very much, but for an RP game there need to be some adjustments made to make it look plausible. If those are made, I can support it more easily))

Just wondering, why do we have 82.07 on the consumer goods when we only need to have 65.52?

And i vote Isolationist

((We have some dissent, and I'm burning that off. It'll be back down in a couple of days. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention at one point :rolleyes:))

To Sen. John Davis.

Then would you also propose to release the nations of Liberia, Panama canal and the Phillipines? Let's face it, we are even imperialistic as the old nations of Europe, I think to create such a new faction we should first resolve these problems within our borders, otherwise we are just being hypocritical. I think you make some solid points in what you say senator Davis, but it's a little more complicated. I'm still for better relationships with the Allies. Communism and Fascism are the biggest threats in the world right now.

Sen. Gordon Sinclair.

((I like the idea of the American Faction very much, but for an RP game there need to be some adjustments made to make it look plausible. If those are made, I can support it more easily))

((If we want a fourth Faction -- an American faction -- we'll need some pretty extensive modding to the game. The closest thing we could get to an American faction would be if we stay isolationist, but the way the game works, we'll be forced into one faction or another when the European war starts, probably.))

((Have you changed the Consumer Goods Law yet?))

((An American Faction would be very cool, but Avindian is right, it would take a massive amount of modding and alot of time to get it to work as intended))

((An American Faction would be very cool, but Avindian is right, it would take a massive amount of modding and alot of time to get it to work as intended))

((We could just stay out of the Allied faction, but sign individual alliances with friendly powers - that way, we could get involved in Europe without needing to bind ourselves to a faction. Or, since it seems like "British/French imperialism" is the main concern, we could just join the Allies, and then negotiate the post-war settlements so that they have to give independence to whatever countries they can.))

((Or we could just go for a straight WC, I suppose. Who needs factions when you can literally defeat everyone in the game? :rofl:))

((Have you changed the Consumer Goods Law yet?))

((We've not been eligible to change any laws yet, except the ones you can change at game start like education investment and training; I would ask you folks to vote on them.))

((We could just stay out of the Allied faction, but sign individual alliances with friendly powers - that way, we could get involved in Europe without needing to bind ourselves to a faction. Or, since it seems like "British/French imperialism" is the main concern, we could just join the Allies, and then negotiate the post-war settlements so that they have to give independence to whatever countries they can.))

((Or we could just go for a straight WC, I suppose. Who needs factions when you can literally defeat everyone in the game? :rofl:))

((I think Tom's ideas make sense; I'm not sure how we'd do with straight alliances or how peace negotiations work in FTM, apart from the war goal system. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

A WC would definitely be an interesting idea -- but could we pull it off before 1948?))