• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you, General, for that informative report.
----------------------------------------------
Foreign policy is called in favor of Isolationism. No new bills may be introduced at this time.

I'll let the Italian Embargo Act ride for one more day. We'll officially call it tomorrow, Thursday, at 10 PM (-6 GMT).

It's currently:

Aye 5
Nay 7.

Thank you, General, for that informative report.
----------------------------------------------
Foreign policy is called in favor of Isolationism. No new bills may be introduced at this time.

I'll let the Italian Embargo Act ride for one more day. We'll officially call it tomorrow, Thursday, at 10 PM (-6 GMT).

It's currently:

Aye 5
Nay 7.

((Don't you mean today or is it the time that is doing the differencial so much that we are on two seperate days?))

((if possible I would like to join as the second senator from Illinois))

Name: Senator Gordon Sinclair of Illinois
Born: June 5, 1873 (age 63)
Party: Democratic

- Foreign policy: The United States of America has always been a country that tries to help the lesser in the world. In these dark times, people who are being oppressed by the totallitarian regimes of either communism or fascism must be dealt with. A second world war must be stopped at all cost, and those who threaten to defy the rights of any citizen on this world should be brought to justice by the Permanent Court of International Justice. As a top priority the USA should immediately join the League of Nations and try to preserve world peace in a diplomatic way. Should, however the moment arise that the League of Nations fails as an institute, the USA should join hands with the old Allied alliance to bring peace in a more fitting way.

- I will give my thoughts on the budgets at another moment.

- Army: The air force should be a higher priority then it is now. It enables us to act swiftly on crises in the world.

- Nuke: May God strike with furious vengeance upon those who use such an inhumane weapon of mass destruction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On more recent events, with the aggressive political policy of Germany and Italy it might be wise to not forget who our friends are. I've missed my chance voting on the last foreign policy effected bill, but it is just a reminder to my fellow senators.

To the Italy question, I vote Aye.
The unlawful 2nd Italo-Abyssinian war was a complete assault on the efforts to keep world peace. And with the accusation from the League of Nations that the Italians shot at red cross workers makes this event even more infuriating. Italy should see hard punishment for this, and the least that can be done by us, as we are not a part of the League of Nations is an embargo.

Benito Mussoline said this to the accusation from the League of Naitons on the shooting at red cross workers: "the League is very well when sparrows shout, but no good at all when eagles fall out." Let us show him that we are not so soft.

Senator Gordon Sinclair.

((Don't you mean today or is it the time that is doing the differencial so much that we are on two seperate days?))

Yes, I did mean today; I wasn't paying attention to the time when I posted :)

With Senator Sinclair's vote, we're now at

Aye 6
Nay 7.

EDIT: Voting is now closed. The Italian Embargo Act has failed. I'm going to play some tonight and may or may not update as well.

Last edited:
Timeline of events: July 1, 1936 to December 31, 1936

July 24, 1936: Engineer Brigade is finished. Research on Infantry Support Weapons begins.

July 25, 1936: Construction on the USS Yorktown and Enterprise is completed. They are deployed to Seattle, Washington by Executive Order. (Note: In the last update, I called this the Saratoga and Lexington; I had the wrong names. Sorry :sad:). Carrier wings deployed to each ship.

July 31, 1936: A planning error is discovered; two Naval Bombers were under construction instead of one. All construction on the second was scrapped.

August 8, 1936: Light Tank Armor is finished; research continues.

August 15, 1936: A Great War Demonstration is held.

36wardemo.jpg

Also, per the Beckendorf bill's technology clause, 15 IC is now diverted to upgrades from production. (I was told to do this when all '36 techs were finished; I think Light Tank Armor was the last one.)

August 20, 1936: Spanish Civil War. Germany, Italy, and USSR all intervene.

September 11, 1936: Great Peace Demonstration.

36greatpeace.jpg

September 18, 1936: Interception Tactics is finished; research continues.

September 29, 1936: Education is finished; research continues. By Executive Order, Supply Transportation is added to the queue. (I will explain this in the upcoming second part.)

November 1, 1936: Elections. FDR wins again!

November 9, 1936: Light Tank Reliability and Aircraft Carrier Armor are finished; research continues on both.

November 12, 1936: Light Tank Gun is finished; research continues.

November 19, 1936: Cavalry Light Anti-Tank Weapons and Light Artillery are finished; research continues on both.

November 20, 1936: Multi-Role Fighter is developed; Supply Organization is started by Executive Order. Cavalry Support Weapons are finished and research continues.

November 25, 1936: Small Arms, both Cavalry and Infantry, are finished and research continues.

December 23, 1936: First Armored Division is completed and deployed to Sacramento, CA. A Light Armored Brigade is added to the First Cavalry Division. Four additional divisions are completed and deployed according to General MacArthur's orders.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A question for the readAARs; do you want me to continue mentioning every tech in these updates? Do you want more on where units are deployed?

State of the Union is up next.

State of the Union: January 1937​

My fellow Americans,

First, I want to thank you for your confidence in my leadership, electing me to my second term as President of these United States. I will do my best to ensure I do not fail that trust.

36elections.jpg

These are grave and dangerous times. War has broken out in Europe, although not where anybody expected: in Spain, there is civil war.

36civilwar.jpg

Italy, Germany, and the Soviet Union have all sent advisors and equipment to their particular favorite side. We have had demonstrations for both war and peace in our country these past six months; I have elected to stay neutral, although that could certainly change if you, Senators, would like the US to intervene in some way.

We are not free of problems at home, either. The Commander of the Naval Base in San Diego, a close personal friend, informed me his men are simply not getting enough to eat. I ordered my Cabinet to consider this problem, and we found the state of our nation's infrastructure in an alarming state of disrepair near the Canadian border.

36supplyproblems.jpg

I took the opportunity to direct our nation's scientists to invent new ways of transporting goods from coast to coast, offering a $1000 prize to the scientist or scientists who can address the need. I hope the Senators will also find a way to work additional infrastructure into their proposed budgets for the 1937 Fiscal Year. I found two accounting errors in our industrial expenditures; an additional naval bomber was found and some misfiled paperwork resulted in an infantry brigade being attached to the wrong corps. I have issued orders to send this brigade to New Orleans by fast rail. The plans to form an additional infantry brigade have been cancelled. We have also begun issuing some of the fine new weapons designed by our scientists to our troops; this progress is currently slow, and you may wish to consider increasing this as well in the new budget.

There is one final consideration. All of my cabinet ministers shall remain the same at present; I am, however, requesting confirmation for Vincent Astor as the new Head of Intelligence. He will give us coverage on the armies and navies of the world, instead of just the armies as Mr. Friedman did.

36astor.jpg

We must design a new budget for 1937. We must also determine where our loyalties lie, if anywhere, with Europe. Do we stand with our brothers in the United Kingdom? Do we join the Axis? Accept the Communist philosophies of the Soviet Union? That choice, like so many, is up to you.

Thank you, and good night.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need new budgets! We have 153 IC to distribute (as before) and 34 leadership. Including resource allocations, you can order any existing construction or research scrapped or make specific recommendations as to what else we do with our IC or leadership.

Here's our IC distribution now and build queue.

36ic.jpg

36buildqueue.jpg

Leadership and tech:

36leadership.jpg

36techs.jpg

Spain after the beginning of the Civil War and January 1, 1937:

36spainseptember.jpg

spainnewyear.jpg

Other matters to consider:

1) What do we do about Spain? Anything is on the table except for declaring war (I also don't think we can send expeditionary forces without being in a faction or allied to one of the countries.)

2) Foreign policy direction.

3) Confirmation of Astor.

Ministers, when we get around to new orders, go ahead and build in a few extra techs, just in case something is finished earlier than expected, or you're stuck with my best judgment :)

Let's have budget and Spain bill proposals by Monday at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT). Everybody can also vote on Foreign policy and confirming or kicking out Astor, without bills. Those votes will close at the same time.

Save game for 1937: click here.

Last edited:
In a brief letter to our President.

My advice to you concerning the points you want addressed, I can give a short statement.

1) We only send medical aid, to help civilian casualties.

2) I still say that we should keep good relations with the Allies, and not be tempted by either communism or fascism.

3) I fully support your choice of Astor.

With kind regards,

Senator Gordon Sinclair.

Spain is non of our concern, they are fighting a civil war, and that's an internal matter, we have no right to interfere.

We should keep our policy of Isolationism, there is no need for us to get involved in matters in Europe, it's not our place.

I also support your choice of Astor.

Sen. Henry Heidelburg

We must remain neutral of the Spanish War.

We should join the Comintern.

I also support the Appointment of Astor.

Sen. Mary Phillipps

Mr. President

I agree with Senator Sinclair to only send medical teams to help the civilians

I recommend we should continue our policy of Isolationism for the time being. We do not need the support of any other nation at this time.

I also agree with your appointment of Astor as Head of Intelligence.

Sincerely, Senator Charles Beckendorf, D-MA

We must support Republican Spain in it's struggle against fascist regime! The spread of fascist and non-democratic ideas threats freedom of Europe. This is the time we should act and leave this coward isolationism policy! Doing nothing we only help Hitler's and Mussolini's dogs to enslave free people of Europe! We need to act, decisively and now!

Sen. Alvin Miller

While unfortunate, the Spanish Civil War is none of our business. We should maintain our isolationist stance and remain uninvolved. As for the nomination of Astor I approve.

-Sen. Thomas Rudolf [R-OH]

((could you please upload the savegame so we can better plan our funding bills?))

Spain is a sovereign country, the Europeans and the Russians messing in their internal affairs are already bad enough. A civil war is no one's business but theirs. So we wil not interfere.

Concerning our general position in the world I vote for remaining Isolationist. I see no reason so change this at present time.
Lastly I approve of the nomination Astor.

If any one of my fellow Senators has budget bill that needs support they can send a note to my personal office.

- Senator John Linton for Florida

While unfortunate, the Spanish Civil War is none of our business. We should maintain our isolationist stance and remain uninvolved. As for the nomination of Astor I approve.

-Sen. Thomas Rudolf [R-OH]

((could you please upload the savegame so we can better plan our funding bills?))

((D'oh! I knew there was something missing in that update! I'll upload it this evening; I'm at work and won't get back until about 2 or 2:30 PM CST))

Polls thus far:

Astor

Aye 6
Nay 0

Foreign Policy

Isolationist 4
Comintern 1

Senator Sinclair, could you clarify your foreign policy? Do you intend to say that you support the Allies or continued Isolationism, regarding whether or not we should drift towards them?

President Roosevelt.

((Mood seems to be against intervention in the SCW as well; can't say I didn't expect that ;)))

Due to the recent events in Europe, and to provide a voice against the Comintern interest in the USA led by Sen. Mary Phillipps, I support a drift towards the Allied countries,

I do wish to ask what the Senators feel about the Pacific theater with the rise of the Empire of the sun. It is not so long ago that they won the war against the Chinese. What are our current relations with them, and even more important what is our policy with them in the future.

Sen. Gordon Sinclair

Due to the recent events in Europe, and to provide a voice against the Comintern interest in the USA led by Sen. Mary Phillipps, I support a drift towards the Allied countries,

I do wish to ask what the Senators feel about the Pacific theater with the rise of the Empire of the sun. It is not so long ago that they won the war against the Chinese. What are our current relations with them, and even more important what is our policy with them in the future.

Sen. Gordon Sinclair

The poll, then, is

Isolationist 4
Comintern 1
Allies 1

((I also wanted to ask something again here, since some of you might have missed it -- is the timeline too complicated? Do you want to know which techs we get and when, which units are finished and when, or would you rather I stick to events in a broader sense, as in specific global events?))

((I also wanted to ask something again here, since some of you might have missed it -- is the timeline too complicated? Do you want to know which techs we get and when, which units are finished and when, or would you rather I stick to events in a broader sense, as in specific global events?))

((I would prefer to keep the timeline as it is. I find it useful and very informative to what is happening. Just keep everything as it is :happy:))

((I would prefer to keep the timeline as it is. I find it useful and very informative to what is happening. Just keep everything as it is :happy:))

((Can do! :D))

1. Only send relief to both sides. Support neither side militarily. Both the Republicans and Nationalists would not want to harm us, and neither are Red, so I see no reason to intervene.

2. For now, Isolationism is best. It's too early to align ourselves with a faction.

3. Aye on Astor. He will be a valuable member of the Cabinet.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire