• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[EDIT: I got two USA AAR's mixed up, but I thought Russia got defeated?]

Last edited:
American Wartime Freedoms Act of 1943

Preamble

The Senate of the United States on this the 11th of February, The year of our Lord nineteen-hundred and forty-three, Recognizing the importance of freedom as the gateway to prosperity and the foundation of this great nation, Understanding that this nation was conceived in the idea of free speech and assembly, do hereby guarantee the following:

Section I
Any and all laws censoring the press will be deemed unconstitutional and repealed by this body with the exception of bans on sedition and advocacy of unlawful acts.

Section II
The Selective Service Act of 1941 will be amended to provide for a 3 year draft.

Signed,
Senator F. M. Sackett, Kentucky, Senator Steven Hyde, Wisconsin

Last edited:
Pacific Control Act of 1943

Preamble

The United States Senate on this day the 15th of February, The year of our Lord nineteen-hundred and forty-three, recognizing the difficulty of the war, understanding the sacrifice our armed forces have made, urging the President to end the war as quickly as possible, do hereby seek to make order for the pacific theatre in which we are engaged,

Section I
The United States hereby lays claim to all extra-national colonial holdings of the Japanese Empire in the central pacific with the exception of those mentioned in following sections.

Section II
The United States considers itself to be in a state of colonial war with the Japanese Empire and in no way seeks the destruction of the Japanese People.

Section III
The Republic of China is the unequivocal ally of the United States and we intend to form a lasting bond.
a. The Republic of China will be guaranteed by the United States​
b. The Republic of China will be granted access to special trade agreements to strengthen her armed forces as well as American Military Advisors.​
c. The Republic of China will be recognized by the United States Government as the sole China for diplomatic purposes and all relations with any other pretender shall be severed.​
d. The United States recognizes the claim of the Republic of China on the Island of Formosa.​

Section IV
The United States recognizes the right of self-determination of the people of Korea.

Section V
The United states guarantees the colonial possessions of all of our allied nations.
a. In accordance with international law all colonial holdings of the Republic of France will be returned to her upon cessation of hostilities.​
b. The United States has no intention of undermining our fellow democratic nations and will not take hostile action against any friendly colonial power.​

Section VI
The President is empowered to enforce all of the above sections.

Signed,
Senator F.M. Sackett, Kentucky
(I still seek a co-sponsor for this bill. Perhaps Senators Sinclaire, Osborn or Marshall?)

Preamble

The United States Senate on this day the 15th of February, The year of our Lord nineteen-hundred and forty-three, recognizing the difficulty of the war, understanding the sacrifice our armed forces have made, urging the President to end the war as quickly as possible, do hereby seek to make order for the pacific theatre in which we are engaged,

Section I
The United States hereby lays claim to all extra-national colonial holdings of the Japanese Empire in the central pacific with the exception of those mentioned in following sections.

Section II
The United States considers itself to be in a state of colonial war with the Japanese Empire and in no way seeks the destruction of the Japanese People.

Section III
The Republic of China is the unequivocal ally of the United States and we intend to form a lasting bond.
b. The Republic of China will be granted access to special trade agreements to strengthen her armed forces as well as American Military Advisors.​
c. The Republic of China will be recognized by the United States Government as the sole China for diplomatic purposes and all relations with any other pretender shall be severed.​
d. The United States recognizes the claim of the Republic of China on the Island of Formosa.​

Section IV
The United States recognizes the right of self-determination of the people of Korea.

Section V
The United states guarantees the colonial possessions of all of our allied nations.
a. In accordance with international law all colonial holdings of the Republic of France will be returned to her upon cessation of hostilities.​
b. The United States has no intention of undermining our fellow democratic nations and will not take hostile action against any friendly colonial power.​

Section VI

Signed,
(I still seek a co-sponsor for this bill. Perhaps Senators Sinclaire, Osborn or Marshall?)
(i will cosponser this Bill)

Preamble

Section I

Section II

Section III

Section IV

Section V

Section VI

Signed,
i will Co-sponser this bill in under 1 condition the We will not guarantee China. Chiang Kai-Schiek is still a dictator maybe not as bad as hirohito but still a dictator.

David Osborn
Michigan-Proud Republican

I've caught my self up and am loving this this AAR, I as hoping I could join. I've got a Senator to propose:

Name: Senator John Andersen of Colorado ((last I checked there are no Senators for this great State yet))
Born: 1902 (41 Years)
Party: Democrat

Policy ideas:
-- Foreign policy plans: This state of war is tragic, however, it presents America with an opportunity to reshape the world. America must voice its clear support for democracy and self determination as we did after the Great War, and our determined opposition to imperialism in all of its forms. While France and Italy both have allied governments, they have also had ones at war with us. We propose the complete dismantlement of French and Italian colonial holdings to follow a timeline similar to that to be imposed on our enemies. Furthermore, our erstwhile allies the Soviets will pose the greatest threat to democracy after the defeat of our present enemies. The United States must prepare for the possibility of further war, and prepare an alliance for this eventuality.

-- Budgets for IC: Expansion of our Airforce will allow us to utilize modern technologies and pave the way for the future. The proud state of Colorado is well placed and has the necessary infrastructure to begin accommodating rapidly expanding forces. Secondly, the current state of war allows the government the opportunity to continue the New Deal and continue industrial expansion to be returned to civilian use in peace time.

-- Budgets for leadership: Research will show the way to the future and must be the highest priority. While American espionage has had recent success, it must be remembered that the state of war is largely the result of the subversion and direct attacks on legitimate democratic governments. All efforts possible must be made to protect our freedoms domestically, and to support and restore legitimate democratic government elsewhere.

-- Declaring war/signing peace treaties: The long term prosperity of our nation depends on the expansion of democracy, self-government, and free trade. The defeat of our existing totalitarian enemies is a priority, however, we must examine whether the present conditions favor us in our inevitable conflict with the other totalitarian powers, most notably the USSR our erstwhile ally and Spain.

-- Which faction we align ourselves to, if any: Our current relationship with the allies should be increasingly conditioned upon their commitment to decolonization on a strict timeline. Our current presence in Southern Europe should be combined with strong alliances in Asia to create a potential new bloc should the need arise.

-- If one of the Big Four needs to be fired/replaced: I trust that the President can find a proper and intelligent replacement

-- Input on our general deployments overseas: We should make close ties with Nationalist China, while encouraging democracy, and set up friendly governments in Korea and Japan. Efforts in Europe should focus on heading east to deny the communists expansion, and increase our leverage in pushing the French to decolonize before liberating them.

-- All decisions and law changes: The maintenance and defense of liberty cannot infringe on liberty lest it become that which it fights. The freedoms of American citizens shall be the standard the world strives towards.

-- Nukes!: Civilian deaths and massive destruction if necessary will pave the way for a brighter world for all. ((Even if its because the Earth is glowing green.))

You've been added to the roll, Senator.

((That was the right call, Avindian. I was simply asking you to do that for now until I could see what I was working with based on the budget for this year.))

((Very good.))

[EDIT: I got two USA AAR's mixed up, but I thought Russia got defeated?]

((Nope! Russia is still in this war; they've lost Leningrad, but are still holding strong.))

i see that the Secretary of War is still open.

It is. It requires that you have FTM, although frankly, you won't have much to do until the next budget discussion, so it's sensible to make a Senator too.

Preamble

The Senate of the United States on this the 11th of February, The year of our Lord nineteen-hundred and forty-three, Recognizing the importance of freedom as the gateway to prosperity and the foundation of this great nation, Understanding that this nation was conceived in the idea of free speech and assembly, do hereby guarantee the following:

Section I
Any and all laws censoring the press will be deemed unconstitutional and repealed by this body with the exception of bans on sedition and advocacy of unlawful acts.

Section II
The Selective Service Act of 1941 will be amended to provide for a 3 year draft.

Signed,

This bill is acceptable ((section I proposes a switch to Free Press, right?)).

Preamble

Section I

Section II

Section III

Section IV

Section V

Section VI

Signed,

i will Co-sponser this bill in under 1 condition the We will not guarantee China. Chiang Kai-Schiek is still a dictator maybe not as bad as hirohito but still a dictator.

David Osborn

If this bill is co-sponsored, it is also acceptable. There is obviously some conflict between this and the Asia-Pacific Defense Act; if both are voted for, I may require that the two acts be merged in some fashion.

Senator Sackett, Senator Hyde,

Let me start by saying that both of you have made excellent proposals for future Pacific policy. The Pacific Control Act and the Pacific-Asia Defense Act are similar in essence, and as such I approve of both. I think the two of you would be able to make a good compromise yourselves - Senator Hyde's Pacific-Asia Defense Act is more detailed, and could serve as a template for an act sponsored by the both of you.

The main difference in your proposals seems to be the future of French Indochina. Even though I think we should encourage friendly nations to liberate their colonies in a diplomatic way, I will leave my opinion in the background for now. The Indochina question, to be honest, is just a minor part of a grand Pacific plan. If the Senators were to vote on these two acts, chances are they won't even see the difference ((I had to look at them twice, to be honest)). So please, my esteemed colleagues, try to make one act out of these two, either in here or personally.

If such an act would be presented to me, I'd happily vote in favor!

Senator Ryan Marshall

The two acts, for quick reference:

Preamble

Section I

Section II

Section III

Section IV

Section V

Section VI

Signed,

Lately, there have been arguments about the proposed Pacific Control Act, I myself do believe that Senator Sacketts proposal was a good start, I do believe that it was to vauge, and left out important clauses that made the bill seem a might bit to Imperialistic. I therefore have drafted my own bill, which addresses the same things Senator Sacketts proposal did, but in a much more detailed and Specific way. Ladys and Gentlemen of the Senate, I give you The Pacific-Asia Defense Act

The Pacific - Asia Defense Act

Section 1

These United States of America Hear by Lays Claim to the Islands of Mili, Majuro, Jaluit, Maleolap, Kwajalein, Wotje, Bikini, Eniwetok, Kosrae, Ponape, Marcus Island, Saipan and Rota

Section 2

These United States of America Consider themselves at a colonial state of war with the Empire of Japan, and do not seek to harm the Japanese Civilian Populace, These United States do however seek to have the Military and Government of the Empire of Japan Surrender to the terms outlined in this Act

Section 3

a) The Republic of China will have the full support of These United States, and we seek to form a lasting alliance
b) The Republic of China is guaranteed Independence by These United States
c) The Republic of China will be granted Military aid and Trade agreements from These United States
d) These United States recognize The Republic of Chinas Claim on the territories of Communist China, Xibei San Ma, Yunnan, Guangxi Clique, Manchuria and Taiwan
e) These United States Claim the territory of Dalian as a port from which to trade in East Asia

Section 4

a) These United States will take measures to allow the full Independence of the Philippines, once peace is settled with The Empire of Japan ((Un-Puppet))
b) The Philippines will be granted the provinces of North and South Palau

Section 5

These United States recognize Australian claim on the following territories. Satawan, Truk, Ulul, Woleai, Pulusuk, Wolelai, Ulithi, Yap and Ngulu

Section 6

These United States recognize the independence of Korea, and we will do all we can to help the region create a free and democratic nation

Section 7

These United States recognize the independence of French Indo China, and we will do all we can to help the region create a free and democratic nation

Signed,
Steven Hyde​

I am looking for a senator willing to Co-Sponsor this bill (( I was not sure whether to send this to the Presidents desk, due to the fact that I do not yet have a Co-Sponsor))

AMENDMENT I:

Avindian said:
If this bill is co-sponsored, it is also acceptable. There is obviously some conflict between this and the Asia-Pacific Defense Act; if both are voted for, I may require that the two acts be merged in some fashion.

Mr. President, it seems we agree with each other on this matter. It shows us once more that in times of war, it doesn't matter whether you are Republican or Democrat - We all want what's the best for our beloved USA.

Last edited:
This bill is acceptable ((section I proposes a switch to Free Press, right?)).

(That is correct.)

Mr. President, Senator Marshall,

I did originally hope to provide one omnibus control act, however, Senator Hyde decided that he and I were too far apart on the colonial issue. Therefore he decided to submit a separate bill. I was willing to add some of Senator Hyde's propositions, especially those concerning Korea, but some of his proposals are just too far off-base. I hope that he reconsiders these positions and comes into uniformity with International Law.

-Senator F. M. Sackett, Kentucky.

Senator Marshall,

Are you cosigning the Pacific Control Act, or are you hoping for a revised bill that incorporates them both?

President Willkie

((I'm asking because, if necessary, I could extend the deadline to give you time to merge them together. Alternately, we could just let the voters decide.))

Mr. President,

Just like you, I am hoping for a revised bill that incorporates both ideas.

I am not the one who should merge these acts, though. So if you'd like to know whether to extend the deadline or let the Senate decide what will be best, you really should ask either Senator Sackett or Senator Hyde.

Regards,

Senator Ryan Marshall

With due respect to Senator Sackett, the nation of France has been defeated militarily, and elements of its legitimate government now collaborate with the enemy. Whether France continues to be a "friendly" colonial power is questionable. While I am opposed to the unilateral recognition of the rebel state, the eventual withdrawal of French forces from their Asian possessions should be a condition of our continued support. I would propose eliminating the Indochina question from any combined bill to maintain the status quo to our advantage. The US should instead focus of having some role in the liberation of Indochina. Given the crippling of other world powers, the US has the opportunity to increase our presence in the Pacific in the interests of peace and democracy.

France and Indochina both have obvious interest, but are likely to be in great need to American aid. Japan's opposition to European Imperialism may also offer the issue as a point for peace negotiations that may expedite the end of the war. China's traditional interest in the region may also be used in negotiations. Continued ambiguity in America's position will allow us to extract maximum concessions from the various parties toward our interest. Efforts should be made to emphasize the mutual benefit of military and economic cooperation between the US and all parties. The Philippines should serve as an example for full withdrawal of world powers from colonialism. Administrative advisers from the Philippines may be well placed to aid in Indochina's transition, should our ultimate course allow for such a timeline. America's leading role in this process while ensuring the maintenance and expansion of free government and free trade, is key to our post war prosperity.

As for the War Time Freedoms Act, it is in the preeminent interests of the People of Colorado and this great country that all senators support a reversal of our past errors in limiting free speech, and an expansion of our forces to expedite the end of this war.

((Think this deserves a separate post))

((So we cant liberate Greece since it was annexed outright. I just went back through the last ten pages or so, have we ever set policy for the future of the Balkans, or the return of Italy's conquests to relevant powers?))

((Is there any good way to clean up the map in Greece? I've only played original HOI3 and that was a while ago.))

Mr President, Senator Marshall, Senator Sackett, and Senator Hyde

I think if it is OK if Senators vote on either 1 bill or the other bill or none of them it seem like it is a logical compromise.

David Osborn

((Think this deserves a separate post))

((So we cant liberate Greece since it was annexed outright. I just went back through the last ten pages or so, have we ever set policy for the future of the Balkans, or the return of Italy's conquests to relevant powers?))

((Is there any good way to clean up the map in Greece? I've only played original HOI3 and that was a while ago.))

The map should clean itself up post war. As for the disposition of Europe post WWII, I suppose we could vote on some sort of bill for that, but I'm inclined to just let the game take its course. We can discuss that after the next update.

With no cosponsor for the Pacific Control Act, it is not eligible for voting this round. You could, theoretically, filibuster the vote on the Asia-Pacific Defense Act, if you get the Republican Party leader (or perhaps Democratic Party leader) to do that.

The following bills are now open for voting (sponsors, please vote so I have an accurate count.) The bills up for a vote:

Preamble

Section I

Section II

Signed,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pacific - Asia Defense Act

Section 1

These United States of America Hear by Lays Claim to the Islands of Mili, Majuro, Jaluit, Maleolap, Kwajalein, Wotje, Bikini, Eniwetok, Kosrae, Ponape, Marcus Island, Saipan and Rota

Section 2

These United States of America Consider themselves at a colonial state of war with the Empire of Japan, and do not seek to harm the Japanese Civilian Populace, These United States do however seek to have the Military and Government of the Empire of Japan Surrender to the terms outlined in this Act

Section 3

a) The Republic of China will have the full support of These United States, and we seek to form a lasting alliance
b) The Republic of China is guaranteed Independence by These United States
c) The Republic of China will be granted Military aid and Trade agreements from These United States
d) These United States recognize The Republic of Chinas Claim on the territories of Communist China, Xibei San Ma, Yunnan, Guangxi Clique, Manchuria and Taiwan
e) These United States Claim the territory of Dalian as a port from which to trade in East Asia

Section 4

a) These United States will take measures to allow the full Independence of the Philippines, once peace is settled with The Empire of Japan ((Un-Puppet))
b) The Philippines will be granted the provinces of North and South Palau

Section 5

These United States recognize Australian claim on the following territories. Satawan, Truk, Ulul, Woleai, Pulusuk, Wolelai, Ulithi, Yap and Ngulu

Section 6

These United States recognize the independence of Korea, and we will do all we can to help the region create a free and democratic nation

Section 7

These United States recognize the independence of French Indo China, and we will do all we can to help the region create a free and democratic nation

Signed,
Steven Hyde [co sponsor is Senator Anikin]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's simple. Vote either Aye or Nay for the AWFA and PADA. Novatheorem and Tom, have any new plans on my desk by Thursday at 10 PM, which is when I will close the voting on these two bills.

I vote Aye on the Pacific-Asia Defense Act

and Aye on the American Wartime Freedom Act

Signed,
Senator Steven Hyde, Wisconsin

I vote Aye on the American Wartime Freedom Act

I plan to filibusterer the vote on the Pacific-Asia Defense Act because I believe that it is incompatible with International Law.

-Senator F. M. Sackett R-KY

(As a side note, I plan to introduce The Atlantic Control Act as well in the near future to address the situation in the Balkans and Italy. I did not anticipate the fight over the pacific bill)

I vote Aye in regard to both in order to bring freedom and democracy to all the people of this great earth, be that they live in the U.S. or not.
- Alexander Anikin D-UT

I vote Aye on the Pacific-Asia Defense Act

and Aye on the American Wartime Freedom Act

Signed,
Senator Steven Hyde, Wisconsin

I vote Aye on the American Wartime Freedom Act

I plan to filibusterer the vote on the Pacific-Asia Defense Act because I believe that it is incompatible with International Law.

-Senator F. M. Sackett R-KY

(As a side note, I plan to introduce The Atlantic Control Act as well in the near future to address the situation in the Balkans and Italy. I did not anticipate the fight over the pacific bill)

Contact the Republican party leader (SovietAmerika), as only he can filibuster a bill for your party.

Aye and Aye.

- Senator Wallace H. White, Maine.

I vote Aye in regard to both in order to bring freedom and democracy to all the people of this great earth, be that they live in the U.S. or not.
- Alexander Anikin D-UT

Poll:

AWFA
Aye: 4
Nay: 0

PADA
Aye: 3
Nay: 0