• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zorro

Field Marshal
92 Badges
Mar 15, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Majesty 2
We shall not go gently! A Polish Resistance AAR

Start: 1939 Blitzkrieg
Difficulty: Normal
Version: Their Finest Hour 4.02
Mod: None
Cheats: None
Style: Gameplay and speckle of narrative
Goal: The restoration of Poland

Introduction

This will not be the tale of a valiant Polish counter-attack into Berlin, forget that possibility. Poland’s enemies will succeed and plunge the Polish people into darkness and fear. Terror will be gnawing at every man, woman, and child. There will be a daily battle just to live in face of despair and horror. This will be a tale of struggle in the face of overwhelming odds and pure hopelessness. The underground resistance has begun.

Table of Contents

First to Fight
Gathering the Lost
Growing the Resistance
Arise Defenders of Poland, Arise
Enemy at the Gates
The Fires of Moscow
Deathride

Last edited:
MILSWARM! :p

First to Fight

Germany has just declared war on Poland; the Allies have honored their pact with Poland and declared war on Germany in response. Poland’s armed forces stand ready to thwart German aggression. Dazing must not fall; none of Poland’s scared soil will fall.

At any moment the French and British will launch an attack across the Rhine and force Germany into a two front war. Poland can count on its allies. Even our friends in the Soviet Union might send support to us in our darkest hour, Poland is indeed fortunate in its allies.

This is an AAR about the Polish resistance but that doesn’t mean a free pass for the Wehrmacht to run over Poland. Every day the Germans are delayed is another day Poland will have access to valuable LS and IC.

Before the game starts there are a few things to do just like you would for any other nation. Replaced a few ministers with what I felt were better bonus such as a 5% leadership bonus and ones that help with supplies.

Leadership will be used entirely for intelligence while Poland is still free. Currently have 9.36 LS but that will change very shortly and the spies will give us an immediate effect.

The Polish air force is larger than I thought and is being rebased to Warsaw away from their border air bases which are not safe. The navy is sent to rebase in London.

The German attack is fierce and nearly all border garrisons are under attack. Troops not on the frontline are pulled back around Warsaw to concentrate their defenses. It is the only chance to delay the German onslaught.

Despite the braveness of the Polish Army, scores of battles are lost to the invaders and the following day it becomes apparent to the Polish leadership that the end is near. The French have promised an offensive into Germany but their forces are trembling being the Maginot Line. Our only hope is that the USSR comes to our aid. We however must assume the worst, that we will be fighting a guerrilla war before the month is out.

While Poland still has IC, production has begun on four underground resistances. These will prove to the backbone of the guerrilla campaign and be the only real chance at one day taking back we have lost.

We’re not even out of the first week yet and the German offensive is unstoppable I can’t even provide a speed bump to slow it down. A further two underground resistances are added to production.

The Polish forces around Warsaw were prepared but overwhelmed nevertheless. As the noose around Warsaw tightened, the Army’s problem was compounded by being forced to take a stacking penalty.

The Warsaw perimeter is under siege from every direction, desperate cries for reinforcements flood the theatre HQ but there are none to send.

A last ditch effort is made. A two pronged attack to drive the Germans back. It was a successful and seized a couple provinces back but it is only temporary. More German troops come up and Warsaw is surrounded and comes under assault. The broken husk of the air force is burning in the airfields of Warsaw.

Warsaw is taken and the nation of Poland is defeated. The USSR instead of helping has divided Poland between themselves and Germany. What is left of the government goes into exile in London. Poland can no longer defeat Germany that will be up to others but, all is not lost. German supply lines can be raided, depots destroyed, divisions diverted, air planes burned. The Polish underground resistance has begun.

...but that doesn’t mean a free pass for the Wehrmacht to run over Poland...

...desperate cries for reinforcements flood the theatre HQ but there are none to send...

Gameyness! :eek:

I hope your manpower is at a big fat zero right now anyway :p

Gameyness! :eek:

I hope your manpower is at a big fat zero right now anyway :p
well, the regular divisions are more important then the HQ i think..

well, the regular divisions are more important then the HQ i think..

You got it wrong I think. My version of understanding: Polish theatre HQ is flooded with reinforcement requests from it's subordinate divisions ;)

I don't follow

Well, you didn't reinforce your divisions for one of these reasons: a) You save manpower for your GiE adventure or b) You wanted to spam as many URs as you can before Commies reach Warsaw.

Anyway, I hope you'll succeed ;)

Seen's like a good AAR, gonna folow it, are planing on being an Allied foothold in Comintern territory once the war is over?
Thanks for following. Hopefully I can be a foothold, that would be up to whoever defeats Germany.

You got it wrong I think. My version of understanding: Polish theatre HQ is flooded with reinforcement requests from it's subordinate divisions ;)

Well, you didn't reinforce your divisions for one of these reasons: a) You save manpower for your GiE adventure or b) You wanted to spam as many URs as you can before Commies reach Warsaw.

Anyway, I hope you'll succeed ;)
My poor word choice has mislead you. That line is fluff, just there for drama purposes. Reinforcements was always left on. I meant at the divisional level, as more infantry divisions are needed at the front but there are none, so they can't be sent.

*EDIT* Manpower won't be as big a deal as IC. UR doesn't require manpower.

My poor word choice has mislead you. That line is fluff, just there for drama purposes. Reinforcements was always left on. I meant at the divisional level, as more infantry divisions are needed at the front but there are none, so they can't be sent.

Aha! Then I'm sorry for blaming you injustly from some filthy tricks you've never used ;)

*EDIT* Manpower won't be as big a deal as IC. UR doesn't require manpower.

Does it reset to 0 when you go to GiE? Because MIL is the weakest unit around (especially due to horrendous manpower requirement) and I guess a single Panzer division is enough to stop even such a massive uprising (since TFH)...

Aha! Then I'm sorry for blaming you injustly from some filthy tricks you've never used ;)
No worries, again my word choice was poor. Even if I did do something gamey and I was called on it, I wouldn't be offended.

Does it reset to 0 when you go to GiE? Because MIL is the weakest unit around (especially due to horrendous manpower requirement) and I guess a single Panzer division is enough to stop even such a massive uprising (since TFH)...
No but it drops significantly, to about 50 or 55. Only have 5 IC so it would take around 6 months to finish a single infantry division and can only build one at a time. Then IC would be diverted to supplies so I guess I'd have to lend it to the UK. MIL is very bad lol. Just think in the games you've played. Have you every had any revolts that ever threatened your game? The absolute worst case scenario would be building a handful of garrisons with MPs. My only real shot is to just divert Axis divisions from the east and hopefully the USSR can capitalize.

Just think in the games you've played. Have you every had any revolts that ever threatened your game? The absolute worst case scenario would be building a handful of garrisons with MPs. My only real shot is to just divert Axis divisions from the east and hopefully the USSR can capitalize.

Well, I don't have TFH. In FTM, AI cannot use URs AFAIK.

But you need to liberate yourself on your own! USSR has claims on like half of Poland and you don't want to be a Soviet puppet. It would make for a really interesting WWIII scenario if Allies cut off Soviet axis of advance and liberated France, Germany, Yugoslavia and Greece on their own ;)

One of my consistent problems with HOI3 is how fast Poland falls, and how weak the cav units are against tank units (considering that they were specifically designed and trained as anti-tank hunters in the Polish army, and pulled that off to great success in 1939). Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this AAR. Maybe you can get a successful Warsaw Uprising! :D

Well, I don't have TFH. In FTM, AI cannot use URs AFAIK.

But you need to liberate yourself on your own! USSR has claims on like half of Poland and you don't want to be a Soviet puppet. It would make for a really interesting WWIII scenario if Allies cut off Soviet axis of advance and liberated France, Germany, Yugoslavia and Greece on their own ;)
It all depends on how much the allies help in the liberation of Europe. Will see how things go. Alas I tried to be gamey and do lend lease aid but GiE aren't allowed to. Very discriminating.

One of my consistent problems with HOI3 is how fast Poland falls, and how weak the cav units are against tank units (considering that they were specifically designed and trained as anti-tank hunters in the Polish army, and pulled that off to great success in 1939). Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this AAR. Maybe you can get a successful Warsaw Uprising! :D
I'm by no means a good player but I was surprised that I couldn't even put up a delaying fight against the Germans.

New AAR I was hoping you'd last a bit longer than a month but then again polish 1939 starts are impossible:)
I considered a 1936 start but the main point of this AAR was to get GiE so might as well get straight to it. Even still, I was disappointed myself that I didn't last longer.