• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OliverThulin

Corporal
6 Badges
Dec 9, 2019
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
Hi everyone! I hope you're all well and enjoying summer.

The team is underway with planning a new UR ("User Research") in which we'll fine-tune a massive new mode for the next expansion with the most seasoned and committed Planetfall commanders in our community. We're hard at work with making this the best mode that it can be and with help from our wonderful players we're sure we can get there.

What are we looking for? Players with deep understanding of the game, it's mechanics and intricacies - with a lot of hours clocked in its singleplayer modes. It's not necessary to have played the previously released expansions, an intimate familiarity with the base game is fine. We're only interested in PC players, as that's the platform that we're doing the study on and we would like to have players who are willing to put some time into the new mode and really get a feel for it.

This study will be taking place between Aug 18 - Sep 18, during which time participants will play the new mode and share feedback on their experiences, with weekly updates to the game based on this. A few of these participants will be asked to engage in more informal discussions with the team. If you think you fit the description of what we're looking for and have time to take part, please email us on aowp-testers@paradoxinteractive.com - and be sure to include your Steam nickname.

We're excited to hear from you!
Regards,
Oliver Thulin, Community Ambassador

IMG_7130.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions:
single what?!
stop killing the game - single player dudes know nothing and will never be good or important, by definition, by rule, by all the tests we have done

if you want a discussion and a way to make the game playable - ask someone like Zaskow who spend YEARS being the reason why there was a multiplayer mode for AoW3. Ask DreadReapr, Mahimka and the few of us - old AoW3 1vs1 and 2vs2 veterans. Go the the only community there ever was - the battlefield multiplayer community. Ask Hiliadan - don't ask the youtube idiots who can't min-max their names. Ask me if you dare.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
single what?!
stop killing the game - single player dudes know nothing and will never be good or important, by definition, by rule, by all the tests we have done

if you want a discussion and a way to make the game playable - ask someone like Zaskow who spend YEARS being the reason why there was a multiplayer mode for AoW3. Ask DreadReapr, Mahimka and the few of us - old AoW3 1vs1 and 2vs2 veterans. Go the the only community there ever was - the battlefield multiplayer community. Ask Hiliadan - don't ask the youtube idiots who can't min-max their names. Ask me if you dare.
You have no idea what this new mode is or what you do in it. They aren't asking for input on the balance of things, they're not asking for people to test the new race. They are asking for people to test a new Single Player mode. Your rant serves no purposes and just showcases Multiplayer Elitism.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Single players mean alots. If you want to play multi, first you must understand the gameplay, rules...etc through single camp. Also, single-players are masses with more feedbacks of bugs, crashs and gameplay opinion.
A good game means for all players to enjoy, not for certain multi-veterans.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is nothing in this that says that they are NOT working on all of the PVP issues the game faces, but plugging holes in the gargantuan gaps of PVE. This is a good thing fellas. Jezuz, you jump right in as critically as you possibly can...

Anyways, I am in. Sounds like a good thing.

Reactions:
single player dudes know nothing and will never be good or important, by definition, by rule, by all the tests we have done
What tests were done? There are tests done on this? Where are they?

Go the the only community there ever was - the battlefield multiplayer community. Ask Hiliadan - don't ask the youtube idiots who can't min-max their names. Ask me if you dare.
It is true that the PVP community is tight, and pretty universally more informed about the game's mechanics, but "there ever was?" Pretty strange news, knowing that most 4X games were PVE-only for all of history, and were amazingly popular.

My guess is that you are flat wrong, but I want to see these tests.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I, for one, never play multiplayer, not even in multiplayer games :D
But also i have never played Planetfall, so i suppose i will be of little help here :p

When it's all said and done, I hope you guys will send our way a healthy AI update. Because there is nothing like facepalming on AI decisions to break immersion from SP activities and remove all challenge.

The AI should:
- Remain competitive beyond early to mid game in terms of unit production and modding.
- Create serviceable army group.
- Not declare war and then a few turns later buy a peace treaty.
- Clear landmarks
- Learn to deal with NPC factions (e.g. not end up at war with all of them)
- Become tactically sound (avoid suicidal charges)

Without that, you can create whatever fancy SP scenario but they will fall flat.

Example: Capital world is cake walk because too many landmarks. Big advantage for human players and, at the same time, big disadvantage for AI. So the cool idea of a rich planet fails because of AI inaptitude.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Without that, you can create whatever fancy SP scenario but they will fall flat.
No, there are still things that can be done. Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good. I would settle for a competent, though sometimes-headless AI.

Reactions:
man wouldn't it be cool if this thread was about the cool chance for players to directly playtest and influence cool features, instead of another dumb SP vs MP thread

like this isn't even a real discussion. it can't be, there's nothing to discuss lol, this isn't a topic of balance or anything, some dumb babies just saw the words "single player" and immediately threw a fit. like what an embarrassing joke.

you know i love to get all elitist and lord over the SP masses too but damn figure out what is and is not an appropriate time and place guys

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sigh, a lot of unpleasentries in this thread. There is a still a huge gap between SP and MP groups I see. I'm a SP through and through and we had these discussions already and I think both "sides" have correct rationales.

Unfortunately nowadays I don't have time to take part in the beta test. Nor do I think my input would be that great. I wonder if devs have a clear vision about this new mode cus Fall is getting quite close :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
man wouldn't it be cool if this thread was about the cool chance for players to directly playtest and influence cool features, instead of another dumb SP vs MP thread

Amen to that.

What happened to this community?

Back in 2013 or earlier people would have been jumping for joy for the chance to affect the game.

Go the the only community there ever was - the battlefield multiplayer community.

I've been playing this game, and the MP, since 1999, since AoW1, and have even been fortunate enough to meet some of the guys I play (ed) against in real life, and teh developers.

"Only community there ever was?" I'll just sigh, else I'll start swearing.

So the cool idea of a rich planet fails because of AI inaptitude.

Applies to pretty much every cool thing you can think off, e.g. Necromancer class in AoW3

What do devs expect not locking this thread while multiplayer has numerous issues (technical too)?

How about what they write in the thread?

If you can't contribute, then don't!

I wonder if devs have a clear vision about this new mode cus Fall is getting quite close :)

Obviously I don't know for sure, but given how Triumph have worked in the past (I was a beta tester for AoW3) they tend to ask for testing when the thing being tested is already working pretty well, and the testing is looking for crazy stupid imbalances, finding the unfun parts (so they can be killed) and also bug hunting.

If this still holds true, then whatever this new single-player mode is, it is probably already working, and they are probably looking to open up the testing to get extra perspective.

If they have, say, 1000 testers on this, and 800 of them say x is too fiddly, or not fun, then that is something to be looked at.

If they have 5 testers and 4 (same ratio) say it, then that is less helpful.

They might also want to test it on a greater range of computers.

Reactions:
Is that me beginning pve vs. pvp rant? I think I can voice my disappointment here according to forum rules.

And there are plenty of other threads, more relevant, specific and therefore useful ones, to do that.

This is about the new game mode, and asking for participants.

If you don't want to participate then get out of the way of people who do.

Reactions: