• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The official break with Venice came on the 21st of January, the year of our Lord 1683. Yet another Venetian declaration of war upon Austria and true to his word, the Grand Commander washed his hands of Venice and we stood alone.

I, like the Commander, felt we were strong enough to stand alone and this would give us ultimate freedom of action. I was already looking ahead to Korea and China having planned the campaign for Ayutthaya years ago. As it proved, I should have spent more time on it.

Our armies marched in April, year of our Lord 1687 and soon followed the usual declarations of war but the first to declare was the Pope. Now, this struck me as odd and this troubled me deeply.

"What do you make of this Papal declaration of war?"

"Well, Marshal, I am a soldier not a politician but it could mean a few things. Maybe the Holy See thinks we are in the wrong and is warring with us to stop our menace. Perhaps he is overcome with temporal riches and grows envious of our successes. The fact that we control four of the five ancient patriarchates may have him fearing us or simply the fact we are so powerful and just south of Rome itself."

"Maybe so but with how the other officers have been acting I wonder if perhaps even the Holy See is corrupted."

"That is possible too, Marshal, who can say within seeing it with their own eyes."

"Perhaps we will do just that, brother Turcopolier."

The main problems with this campaign was besieging without sufficent supplies. This was not helped by the splitting of forces and early assaults. We very nearly lost before we have taken territory. Thankfully, our navy dominated the seas and rapid transfer of reinforcements was possible from India to Ayutthaya. More than anything, the navy won this campaign. The troops were consolidated and the enemy strongholds were dismantled.

The Dutch had fortified their Indian holdings but they were still swiftly overrun and eventually they were forced to cede Yanam and Pondicherry. India was swiftly becoming a Knightly state.

I had received a disturbing missive from the Patriarchate of Constantinople. He said corruption and even sorcery was afoot in the Holy See. I did have my doubts but felt duty-bound to investigate these claims.

"Marshal, this cannot be!"

"Like you said earlier, we must see with our own eyes. We will sail to the Nile and march to Alexandria and sail henceforth to Naples and then to Rome and we will see if these charges have any foundation."

"We should be weary of surprises, Marshal."

"Indeed we should. Perhaps we should bring some our own with us lest this all be a trick."

"Agreed. I will gather those I most trust though I think all our men are good."

The Undermarshal of Italy was not pleased with our arrival but no man is glad to lose his command even if only temporarily.

"What can you tell us?"

"We have been tied down here for the most part. The Pope's forces are strong and those of his allies are great as well, growing large of French subsides. I sent scouts into Rome and Romagna but they did not return. They were seasoned men so I feel something is afoot."

"Well, you know the make of these lands better than I," I lied. I had lived in these lands for many years but that was long ago, did the Lombards rule then? Ah, yes and Charlemagne drove them out and restored the Pope.

"And?"

"Oh, well, you know these lands so you would best know the avenues of advance. Move out your men."

"Thank you, Marshal."

Things had indeed been afoot here. Darkness and fire ruled surpreme as we marched further into the Papal lands and we must have shone like angels here, clad as we were in glimmering armor but our mantles were red as blood and we must have seemed vengeful riders of doomsday. The citizens had mostly scattered but a couple brave souls approached us.

The Undermarshal called the column to a halt.

"Greetings, citizens of the Donation of Pepin and the Patrimony of Saint Peter," I began.

"The saints no longer rule here, just the devil and the dead. Come, and be you true Knights of Christ, look upon evil and seek to throw it down."

I was struck by the grimness of his tone. We follow them awhile until we came upon a grove.

"Just a bit further. Over that hillock," and he pointed ahead.

"You men there, stay with them. The rest, follow me. No, Turcopolier, stay behind. Should something happen to be, you must live to become Marshal."

"But..."

"You have your orders! Plus, you know I am right."

I heard no further complaints. We dismounted and continued to the top of this wooden hill and at the bottom of the gully I saw a sight I never expected to see here. Where it was a forest up here below it was a field of crosses and the dead still hung to them but they were hung upside down. A sure sign of Black masses and rites.

We continued closer and the bodies had been marked with various signs of Satan and this close the smell was truly terrible. The men were afire and muttering prayers and curses and I wished to join them but instead I listened and then I heard.

"There! There is the one tending his flock!" Soon all the men were running after him and after a short search he was captured and brought to me.

A withered and wasted man in a Cardinal's finery was tied up and kneeling before me.

"You will all die should you continue on! You cannot defeat the power that is against you!"

"All I see is a deluded madman murderer that was once a servant of the Church."

"Ha! I could say the same of you! He who walks the lands that should be dead! What price did you pay for eternal life!?"

His words struck me as a blow but I remembered my training. The devil took many forms and struck at secrets and weaknesses. I walked forward stronger and more assurdly and not less.

"I do not fear you."

"Oh, but you do. Tell me, is that the spear you pierced Christ with!"

I would not lie. I would not be tempted. I would not fail, not this time.

"Yes." I heard a gasp from the brothers with me. They did not know, just the officers.

"You nailed him to the cross, you whipped him and placed the crown of thorns upon his head!"

"Yes but I also gave Him drink, you know that too."

"Hmmhmm, yes, I do remember that."

"I know something you do not know though."

"Really now?"

"Oh yes, it is very important too. Would you care to know what it is?"

"Please!"

"I atone for my sins and continue to do so and though maybe I am not forgiven yet one day I will be and..."

"Is that it? I knew that!"

"and because of this you have no power over me!"

The fit he threw was amazing to see. Truly demonic possession as I know human bodies cannot do that. These antics helped me as these Knights with me went about their duties and the exorcism went long into the night before he was cleansed. Then the questions came.

"What he said was true?"

"Aye, Brothers, I am Longinus. I cannot deny this."

"How could you?"

"How could I what? Pierce the Lord? Whip him? I was not unlike you," and I point to the youthful among them. "I was young and unsure of myself. I did not know this man that was to be killed was Him who we follow. He was a criminal and I had my orders."

"You killed the Lord."

"I suppose in a way I was partly responsible for that. I certainly did not stop it and neither did I take any joy in it. I have thought long and hard about this. I have had alot of time to, no?"

I got a few laughs at that one. Good, these men needed to laugh. What do they say, if you can still laugh you are still alive?

"If the prophecy was not fulfilled he would not have been Christ. I am not excusing my actions nor saying they are justified. If they were I would not walk the lands, undying and cursed. I would be living eternal life in Heaven or burning in Hell."

"So you really can't die?"

"I have not yet and I have tried."

A man walked up to me. "Let us see."

The man struck fast as a snake I am sure it seemed but it was all so slow to me. I dodged out of the way and grabbed his arm and took his blade, shoving him and tossed it into a tree before he even hit the ground.

"Not wise, brother," and I offered him my hand and he took it.

"I guess I should mind my elders, Marshal."

We had a good laugh. We all needed it. These lands were grim enough as it was.

Last edited:
This won't be a WC, Yoghurt. I think I could pull it off but I will stick with my more Knightly goals.

No Islamic nations...done
No pagan nations...getting there ;)

The next day we spent rounding up what people remained in the area but these were not many. Both knight and freeman and serf helped with the removal of bodies and the digging of graves and I spent much of my time saying last rites and hopefully putting their souls to rest, yet I doubted they would rest until whoever or whatever had transformed to Holy See to this unholy blasted land. I realized we still knew little of the happening here and therefore I dispatched scout to comb the nearby countryside but very few returned.

"These lands are black, Marshal. It is far more desolate as you approach Rome. I cannot imagine what could cause the destruction of these lands. I mean this had to occur rapidly else news would be more widespread, right?"

"I do not know. I have never seen this sort of thing in all my years."

Just then, a scout arrived and his mantle was black. That could not be right as we wear the...and then it dawned on me. This man had burned.

"Attend to that man!"

"No! I am gone and I don't have time. A group came upon me, two dozen, and dressed as priests and such and led by an archbishop. The bishop saw me and said, 'I want to see a Knight burn in Hell.' He gestured and my mantle caught fire and rapidly consumed me. Luckily, I guess, my horse paniced so I could get away."

His breathing was so ragged. He could not live much longer.

"Sorcery? I had never seen such a thing. I always thought it tales the mothers and fathers told their children to get them to behave. I guess I was wrong."

"You were. Marshal, can you do something for me?"

"If it is in my power I will grant it."

"My horse, he's a good horse. He saved me. Care for him and he will save you too. Will you do this?"

"Of course, brother. I would be honored. Rest assured, I will care for him as I care for my own."

I did not think a man so burned could cry. "Thank you, thank you," and then he passed away as I gave him his last rites.

"What man here need a horse to replace the three a Knight is allowed?" A scout stepped forward to take the horse.

"Nay, this one is my new horse. I gave my word and made my vow. If you follow me I will show you your new horse."

Magic, how could this be? Possession I had seen but magic? It was enough to make one mad. Magic in this age of exploration and invention. It was unthinkable!

"What do you think of all this?"

"I have no idea. I know battle but not much else. I will say after what we saw in Rhodes that this explains much of it."

"Turcopolier, you give me even more to worry about. I had not even given thought to Rhodes."

"Long has there been corruption in the Holy See but to this level is shocking, Marshal. Could this have been carried to all Catholicism?"

"That I do not even wish to think about. I have given thought of how to deal with these roving bands of devil worshippers. We need to set up our gunners as skirmishers. These men with wear the black with covered insignia and go without armor but they will all carry a cross for maybe faith and something to focus their faith upon will provide some protection, I know not."

"So, these men will stalk like thieves in this gloom?"

"Exactly right. Better to swallow one's pride than become a exploding human torch."

It did not go as well as I hoped. The men were mostly opposed to it but in the end it was done.

It was an unnerving march to Rome and each moment we expected attack but the expected attack did not come but soon Rome was in sight and was burning and the smell of roasted flesh was in the air.

The siege of Rome had begun and cannons pounded the ancient walls. Band of my gunners harassed the defenders at every chance. It was not without mishap and loss. One of our powder wagons mysteriously exploded and burned and panic among the men was high and several man had died to burning though no one had seen this sorcery. I found myself starting to attribute the Knight's claim to shock and such. All I knew is that this all had to end quickly as the men would not last.

I allowed the artillery to bombard at an accelerated rate hoping to end this sooner. Munition resupply was sped up to keep with the pace of this new pace and manpower was raised in southern Italy.

I was surprised when the fortress fell so rapidly and the sky opened up and let the sun through. This I took as a good omen and gathered a large force of men to seek out the Pope or whatever ruled here. I did not expect the man I saw before me to be Christ's Vicar. He appeared much like a rat to me, scurrying about chasing about imaginary people and giving orders to men long since dead. Harmless he seemed and there was certainly not one flinging flame about. Maybe it was divine justice that had burned these lands so throughly. It was yet another mystery to be solved.

Rome was not the only land to suffer here. The entire Papal Estate was overrun with Satan's legions. Much time was spent rounding up renegades and heretics and reducing their holdings. It did not help us that other Italian nations were at war with us and those that invaded naturally blamed us for the evil done here. In the end, the Papal States and Tuscany ended up administered by the Knights of Saint John. We contacted the nations of Europe to send people to bear witness to the tradegy of Italy and new Church hierarchy would have to be appointed by the Curia.

I did not play politics well but I knew calling the representatives would show that we were not trying to control the Catholic Church. It would not do to have all Europe even more hostile to the Order.

I knew I had to go to Rhodes after this. I would not go alone however and my entire army would sail with me once men had been trained to replace us to police Italy.

Creepy.

Have fun trying to smother China. :p

China doesn't scare me at this point. I control the sea so I can land reinforcements where I need them and it's a hell of a lot faster than marching them overland. I'm not sure if I will take it in bites or just go for the throat

Cackling madman, possession, possible sorcery and satanists! Reason enough for the Knights to occupy the Holy See methinks. Maybe I should have gone the way of Ninja Ressurrection and had Christian sorcerers and shingle dragons too! :rolleyes:

The Turcopolier and I had orders waiting for us as soon as thing calmed down in Italy. We were to sail to Alexandria and then to march to the Nile province and take ship again and invade Korea.

The men were more that glad to be away from the horrors in Rome. I thought it not the time to go to Rhodes were most likely they would find similiar horrors so off to Korea we went.

"Marshal?"

"Yes?"

"Should we not...

I cut him off. "Not now. Let us finish that which needs finishing as long as we have the support we need."

"I think it unwise, Marshal, and you are a bit obsessed about the mission of having a Christian world. This all reminds me much of Revelation, Marshal."

"You are probably right but I tire of it all. I cannot explain it but I think that which I have hoped for I will find in the Far East."

"Ah, and what then?"

"I do not know but the army will be in good hands regardless. These are virtueous men and would I not be here much more renown as a leader would many of the Turcopoliers that served under me have won."

"Well then. Let us finish this."

"Agreed."

Korea proved no match for modern tactics and weapons but their allies, the Manchu Chinese were somewhat better not to mention that all of Europe once again warred with us. It was to be to all futile fighting for the Knights were mightier than any nation that had ever been.

Modena had decided to war with us I found out much later. A bit suicidal if you ask me, surrounded by Knight territory as they were. They were added to our territory as the ruling family had been killed in the siege. Milan was also taken from France as part of a peace agreement.

The campaign in China bogged down. The lack of manpower in the area hindered siege efforts but fortunately our army had ample cannon, some 300 pieces. When nations began to declare war again after peace treaties expired we knew we needed to finish the reduction of China more quickly. China would eventually be annexed and European nations were paid in Hospitallier gold for peace and finally we could work to quell the numerous rebellions in our pagan territories.

Mysore would declare independence and war was declared upon them. It would take two years to reduce this rebellious province and return it to Knightly administration.

Once again we were given timely orders and we sailed straight away to New Spain. This was a ridiculiously easy conquest as these pagans did not even bother to fortify their land. It was over so fast the Europe did not even have a chance to declare war upon us like usual.

This left only Nippon. These people had foolishly embargoed the entire world and we had reason to war with them. We used this opportunity and landed on the southernmost point of their main island unopposed. Troops were continuously raised in Korea and China to replace any losses to enemy action or attrition. We took this province but as we marched north to Honshu a giant army was spotted, some 125,000 men. We were only 35,000 but had 300 cannon.

"This is going to be a hard fight I think."

"Could be, they outnumber us almost 4 to 1 but I am certain our cannon and advanced guns and superior morale will win this battle."

"I think you are right but we need to be weary of flank and rear attacks. With a force that large they can easily envelop us."

"I agree, Turcopolier."

Wave after wave of these Nipponese crashed into our lines only to be repulsed. We had won the first day but knew they would be back. The men worked on setting up wooden walls for cover but with darkness upon us we knew not which direction they would come. It was a nerve wracking time for all.

The Nipponese came again at dawn and from three sides. I had to admire that they left the rear unnopposed. They thought we would fight more fiercely if surrounded and left an avenue to escape. Clever, very clever, but these savages do not know who they were fighting. I had complete faith that we would stand firm.

The men did hold and our navy appeared off the coast and landed reinforcements numbering some 50,000 men. It was the turn of the Nipponese to be surprised and surrounded but they did not break but attacked our camp more fiercely and soon the enemy was in the camp and all of us were fighting. It was a crazy time and without our artillery we were in danger of being overrun but we held long enough for the reinforcements to arrive and turn the tide.

"Marshal, you are hurt!"

"I am?" and then I felt the pain. It had been so long.

"Yes, you are! Come here, I will tend our wounds."

I remembered no more.

The recovery was long as I had been gravely wounded. I was right about the Turcopolier though. He was a great leader and had learned well. I knew he would lead the Knights to further glories.

"The campaign is winding down is it not?"

"Yes, Marshal. In fact, I believe the last Nipponese stronghold is about to fall."

"Ah good. What will you do then?"

"Well, the fighting in Europe is fierce and Savoy and their allies the French press us in Italy. I plan to sail the army to there and restore the peace."

"Good, good. I will not be coming with you."

"Why not? You are healing fine."

"Because I have achieved my goal but they say it is easier to conquer than convert. I will remain here and see to our Order's other activities."

"I will leave some men with you."

"No, not with me. Do leave some men to keep the peace though, that would be prudent."

"What of Rhodes?"

"I think you are more than capable of taking care of that. Plus, I might be more of a liability if I come with you. There are many ways one can exploit my situation."

"That is true, I suppose. I will miss you, sir."

"You know where to find me, brother."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came upon Longinus' notes at his home so I guess it falls to me to finish his tale.

He had worked as a missionary amongst the Nipponese while I led the army to Europe. French designs in Italy were evident when I arrived. The Savoyiards and French were forced back from Italy and Savoy itself would be added to the Order's Italian holdings as was Genoa and Provence which were taking from France. Wallachia itself was annexed by Knights from Rhodes.

Rhodes would eventually fall and it was their we learned of the global conspiracies of the Papacy and Holy Orders. Naturally, trails were begun and all Catholic nations were allowed to sit on the council of judges. Many high ranking officials Church and Knight were found guilty and put to death. It was the lowest point the Holy Catholic Church had seen since Roman times.

Hard times can do several things to men. It can break them or it can make the stronger. The Church has become stronger from this period of weakness and it has become more open and much less secretive. So to did the Knights Hospitallier. We are tasked with administering heathen and infidel lands until conversion takes place and then these lands will be freed to join the nations of Europe. Egypt is the first and I do believe it was because of Longinus's work there.

He was not so lucky in Nippon. The people here mostly clung to their pagan beliefs. He did have some success in the south but for a time the rest of the main island reverted to their old ways and overthrew Knighty authority and massacred the Christian converts.

Longinus himself was crucified in mockery of Christ's death as were the converts that would not repudiate their beliefs. Witnesses said they mocked him and even shouted "If your God is so mighty why does he not save you?" and he was said to have said "He already has." before he died.

His loss is a great loss to us but I am sure he died as he would have wished and certainly he did not fail his beliefs as he did in his youth. He used his second chance to its fullest and certainly has earned his place in Heaven.

Antoine Manoel de Vilhena, Grand Master of the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem.

25th of December, the Year of Our Lord, Seventeen Hundred and Twenty Four.

The African and Eurasian holdings of the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem.

ScreenSave26.JPG

The American holdings of the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem.

ScreenSave27.JPG

Oh don't you love to look at those screenies;)?

You are doing great keep it up, soon the world will belong to the knights:D

Wow, you sound like you're with Baden like I am with Sibir. :D

Btw, I must say one thing: naval transport, bah! Try doing that with manpower from the Steppes and marching them overland! Bah again. ;)

Baden has done quite well. A three province nation and more importantly as been the Holy Roman Emperor for quite some time!

Unfortunately, Russia is too mean and the conquest of Sibir occured early. Sadly, Morph, the Knights have no love for Islamic horse-nomads and felt that these lands were better off under Christian Russia's rule.

Thanks for all the encouragement for the WC but the Knight's mission is done and Longinus has found his reward at last. Let's just be happy he has found rest and the Knights have achieved their dream, except those Iroquis. Damn, I knew I forgot something! Unfortunately, nothing can be done. The save is gone. :eek:o

Braedonnal said:
Baden has done quite well. A three province nation and more importantly as been the Holy Roman Emperor for quite some time!

:eek: This is now my favorite AAR of all time, just because of how Baden's been doing. :D

(Not to say your writing isn't any good. The AAR was a good read; the thing about Baden just made it go from "wonderful" to well above "incredible." :) )

Morpheus506 said:
Btw, I must say one thing: naval transport, bah! Try doing that with manpower from the Steppes and marching them overland! Bah again. ;)

Silly, Morph. I shipped the troops I built in India. Can you imagine having to ship troops from Rhodes to China. :eek:

I have to admit I learned a bit about how the game works playing the Knights. Knowing what I do now I would have taken southern Italy much earlier to add some manpower. Too bad it was so easy at the start with Hafsid and the Mameluks, once you have that much territory the money problem is gone, but then again I was doing cowardly opportunistics strikes to start. :rolleyes: You get some good leaders early like L'Isle and La Valette and their default leaders are 0/1/1/1 and with that siege you can do alot very early in the game before fortresses get huge. It's interesting to play but I think I prefer the careful and crazy life in mainland Europe as your enemies can reach you easily, complicating things for you. :D

Can you imagine marching troops from Kurgan to China through tiny little colonial cities? :eek:

Yeah, in an old T.O. game I played I marched troops from India to Northern China and it's no fun. Sibir doesn't even really have the boat option unless to march them down through Persia. Then again, you could just take all India and build from there and march, that's not so bad.

I did, for the most part of conquering Dai Viet and Ayutthaya and then for invading S. China, but most of the troops marched overland through the Siberian Corridor. Better than my oldest England game though, where I marched them from Europe through Persia and India and up. *shudders*