• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
just caught up!
apparently, time of peace and prosperity, but why didn't you finish mali off?

A nation with a tribal government (like Ashanti, at the moment) with 10 or more provinces will suffer a succession crisis when a leader dies. With no forts, this pretty much means your country is instantly 1/3 rebel-controlled.

So he doesn't want to get a 10th province until after he converts out of the tribal government.

Too bad you can't get Patron of the Arts to get the +2 innovative event.

That Tribal Leader Turnover Rate (TLTR) is pretty impressive!:D

I do like this AAR very much. Well done.....

@Didaa, elbasto, Lord Strange
Glad you like it and thanks for following

@gabor & ulmont
Thanks for explaining, ulmont.

Here are the numbers for my case: If I'd have taken the rest of the territory, each new Chief would have spawned not only a big rebel stack in my territory but also a stack of nationalists in every non-core province. That would mean 9000 in Timbuktu, another 9000 in Segu and Massina combined plus another 3000 in Wolof and Gabu respectively. That would have meant 24 000 nationalist rebels plus the original pretender rebels every few years.
With African troops and tech 1 multipliers, even if I could beat them with my 18 000 spread out troops it would take years to kill them all. By that time parts of the country would have already declared independence.
And god forbid my chief died in battle against the rebels :eek:

Now that all the territory is cored, I could take the rebel risk. However, there's another problem with big tribal states:
If the chief doesn't have a stat of 7 in each category, I get a negative modifier for his entire reign. (Adm: -33% tax income, Dip: +3 RR, Mil: -20 BB limit). So a perfectly adequate 6/6/6 leader would basically wreck the country.

@Kami
If they pick on Mali, they'll have to go through me. Which I don't like at all.

@naggy
The only thing that's helpful is the Recruiting Act which I can take at -1 innovative and will move me 1 step further. There's also the militia act for +1 centralization, however that has the same centralization requirements as westernization does so it doesn't help there...
Without any random events (if there's any at all) I won't be ready until around 1500.

@Murmurandus
If I can still count, it's been 11 leaders in 65 years. Take away the top three long lived guys (21 years, 14 years and 10 years), and the remaining 8 leaders have spent just 20 years on the throne.

Next update will come on Thursday

Last edited:
They can pick on Mali - The AI like to attack the weakest first, i don't know if it takes animism into account... Hopefully the do.

Mali is weakest, with fewer provinces and army, and still a direct neighbour to Castille. If they should attack them it is unlikely the war score is enough to gain Cayor. Perhaps they will end up in endless wars against Mali, before targeting you?

Or they'l bring 1k of cav and kill you instantly.

@Kami
Hey, I can still kick some horse ass with the 10:1 rule :p

@Parcae
West Africa is probably the easiest to reach place, since America takes two steps with the current naval range.
They still don't want the access...

@Emperor Ike
Maybe world domination will take me a bit longer than till tomorrow ;)

@Fronzel
Of course, but the same applies to every Tribal nation or New World/African tech country

@MHz
What's even worse, on Wednesday I already edited that to push it back to Thursday ;)

Chapter 7: Space is big, empty and boring, just like the wait for Westernization

Dec 1466: A pesky peasant demands a redress. We happily oblige so when we get out of the African tech group we can play tech catch up.
Redress.jpg

Mar 1467: We send our first brib...ehm gift to Castile, almost bringing our relations into the realm of positive numbers.
First-Gift.jpg

However, this is just plain insulting. Someone in my tech has actually reached tech 2:
Neighbour-Bonus.jpg

Sep 1467: Castile sends us a warning. Seems like our warmongering days are officially still over. Another gift sends relations up to +2.
Warning.jpg

Dec 1467: Our first slider move towards innovative. Seems like you can lose stability here too:
Slider.jpg

May 1469: New troops land in Trarza. Is that the buildup for war? And does stationing troops in Wolof make us look strong or does it lead Castile to send more troops?
Buildup.jpg

Feb 1470: Chief #12. I feel somewhat taunted by the abundance of Adm 6 chiefs before I really need them.
New-Chief.jpg

Mar 1470: It seems like Castile didn't build up a big army after all. Or is that all they'd need anyway?
No-Buildup.jpg

A bit later the Portugese show up for the first time:
Portugal.jpg

May 1470: Another profession tries to ruin our storming to the future.
Merchants.jpg

Aug 1470: We open an Embassy in Wolof. Relations with Castile have risen to 52
Embassy.jpg

Jun 1472: We send our third gift to Castile, Relations are now at 81

Apr 1473: Our final advisor (3* inflation reduction) has died, we still don't have any worthy replacement. However we hire the Theologian so we can pick the Vision Quest religious decision (+1% Prestige, +5% stab cost) We still have the major stabiliy hits ahead of us, but who knows when we get the next chance to pick it...
No-Advisors.jpg

Jun 1475: The Portugese send their first settlers, with little success:
Portugese-Settler.jpg

Jul 1475: A look at the CoT in Samarkand reveals a few of the lucky nations in this game: Morocco, Hungary and the Timurids
Lucky.jpg

Oct 1476: Excellent, Castile is at war with France. That should keep them off our back for a while.
Good-War.jpg

May 1478: Can we put this guy in a Cryo-Chamber for when we can use him?
Trader.jpg

Nov 1478: The most annoying event in EU3 has arrived, let's hope it won't come up again. We choose the malus since it'll cost a bit less than the -1 stability and 105 ducats.
Smugglers.jpg

May 1479: The second slider move towards innovation. This time we lose some prestige. But now we have fulfilled all the requirements for the Recruiting Act which will move us another step toward innovative.
Slider-2.jpg

... except, we're not yet at war. The Castilian warning doesn't matter, since they don't know about Songhai. But we keep some units back, in case Mali honours its alliance with Songhai.
Dow-Songhai.jpg

We enact the recruiting act. We're now 1 slider move in both Centralization and Innovative away from Westernization.
Recruiting-Act.jpg

Coming up: We see how much money has amassed in Songhai's coffers. And of course, some new Chiefs

Last edited:
Yey for Westernisation waiting....
And it is true, as soon as you reach the possibility of westernisation, the new chief will be 3 3 3

I really love gameplay AAR's, especially when people take on minor countries outside of Europe. I'll definitely be watching.

The funny thing is I just defeated the Malinese as well though I'm playing Civilization: Beyond the Sword. Keep up the great work.

Yup, waiting for westernization is a bit boring...;)