• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi folks!
Many years ago I played Age of Wonders 1 and that was awesome game and I even purchased boxed game via EBay. I liked that this game was very different from Heroes of Might and Magic which I also played a lot. But the same time I missed several things from HoMM like the sense of conquest. AoW campaign forced player to hurry if you wished to take artifacts, heroes and other like to the other mission. That was a serious drawback for me. AI also disappointed me because it never used many features of the diplomacy and acted weird sometimes. I have no idea about AoW2 and 3. Still it is difficult to understand what this game is going to be but I believe that Triumph Studia along with Paradox can do something really great.
Now I just want to learn if this game will have a long campaign with a huge diversity or this will be something like civilization game with a global map and other like stuff?Thanks in advance for the answer.

Age of Wonders is my absolutely no.1 game. I started gaming because of that many years ago. It was magical (you see what I did here ;)) as a child to play it, thanks to its music, thanks to its colors, references to LotR, etc. So as a big fan of the franchise of course I am looking forward to see the new game and most probably will buy it anyways. Maybe the setting is not 100% lucky, as we have many games of this genre around form Alpha Centauri and many new ones too, but one thing I thing I know and let me paste it here, because it is not a thing I figured (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders#Reception):
"The editors of PC Gamer US and CNET Gamecenter nominated Age of Wonders for their 1999 "Best Turn-Based Strategy Game" awards, both of which ultimately went to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.[10][11] The former publication noted that Age of Wonders "took the tired fantasy-based theme we've seen time and again and breathed new life into it." :)

So looking forward to it guys, please keep me amazed, as you did in the last 19 years. I just did a video yesterday about AoW1! And I noticed the announcement while I was preparing to the video... :D;)

Really interesting, I dearly hope this is still the age of wonders universe and expands on the lore and such, otherwise it would be incredibly bad taste to just take the age of wonders name to promote another game that has nothing to do with it.

This is all nice and well, but don't you think you could unsticky this thread and a bunch of other ones like the old Dev Diaries which are getting old ? Don't worry by the way, the newest DD always come on first page of the forum.

This is all nice and well, but don't you think you could unsticky this thread and a bunch of other ones like the old Dev Diaries which are getting old ? Don't worry by the way, the newest DD always come on first page of the forum.
Never! They shall remain forever, as a shrine to the day the Kir'Ko began their vengeance against the Star Union!

Really interesting, I dearly hope this is still the age of wonders universe and expands on the lore and such, otherwise it would be incredibly bad taste to just take the age of wonders name to promote another game that has nothing to do with it.

Uhm, as far as I can tell Planetfall will have lore-wise absolutely nothing to do with the fantasy counterpart with the exception of Dire Penguins. Yes, these horrors still roam the worlds of the future.

Am very much looking forward to the game. Would be really nice if there was a thread listing all Youtube preview videos of the game, especially multi-turn game stream recordings.

To the devs, publishers and all of the folks who made this game, thank you - I am having a blast! At times I do get a bit lost, but you know its more along the lines of discovery and eureka moments, rather than the tangled and disjointed despair type of confusion, if you grok the distinction :) Reminds me of the fun and challenge of the early online days, for example playing Might & Magic before every answer became just a click away (infoseek being my "go to" of choice back then). I still remember having binders full of hand written notes to remember where all the trainers were and so on :)

With the very recent release of Planetfall and all the various websites only just starting to get up to speed (wiki this and wiki that), in some ways it does remind me of the good old days ...

I guess I'm showing my vintage with this post, but I do have so many fond memories :). I meandering off topic now, but what the heck. The first time I got PK'd in the original UO before they split the servers and back when dying really hurt - literally watching as a helpless ghost as all your gear was looted, the butcher scaring the living daylights out of me the first time I ran into him in Diablo "Fresh Meat!!", playing multiplayer quake using Glide drivers and 3DFX for the first time - omg that was eye candy at the time, going head to head via dial modem in Descent, Warcraft 2 in the OzWL (Aussie ladder) via Kali, getting magic Carpet to run in high res, and so on ....

Fun times :)

To the devs, publishers and all of the folks who made this game, thank you - I am having a blast!

You're welcome!

And thank you for your kind words.
Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself : )>

No worries about the age thing. Also, I'll be calling myself vintage too from here on ; )>

I've played all turn based games in the past 15 years. All of them. None of them doesn't even come close to AOW series. AOW is on a league of it's own (And AOW:SM is the best game ever created. I've spent hundreds of hours in it).
So I'm going to purchase planetfall. Bye bye spare time. And thank you guys for keeping this beautiful thing alive and kicking.