• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Never played any Age of Wonders games, but this has the feel of trying to be the spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri that Civ:BE utterly failed to be.

AoW folks that remember Alpha Centauri, am I wrong?

AoW was the spiritual successor to Masters of Magic which was the fantasy version of Civ. This looks like the sci-fi version of AoW 3, so... not entirely?

AoW was the spiritual successor to Masters of Magic which was the fantasy version of Civ. This looks like the sci-fi version of AoW 3, so... not entirely?
That's not correct. The first Age of Wonders has been - and that was confirmed, although it's rather obvious when you know the games - heavily influenced by the Warlords franchise, specifically Warlords 2 (deluxe).

That's not correct. The first Age of Wonders has been - and that was confirmed, although it's rather obvious when you know the games - heavily influenced by the Warlords franchise, specifically Warlords 2 (deluxe).
Wish they had followed in the RTS footsteps of the Warlords series, need more fantasy RTS in the world!

I mean, I played the hell out of Warlords too, but AoW was nothing like it. It was a total clone of Master of Magic in pretty much every way, especially the tactical combat which basically no one else did.

Wish they had followed in the RTS footsteps of the Warlords series, need more fantasy RTS in the world!

...Warlords wasn't RTS.

I mean, I played the hell out of Warlords too, but AoW was nothing like it. It was a total clone of Master of Magic in pretty much every way, especially the tactical combat which basically no one else did.

...Warlords wasn't RTS.
Warlords Battlecry was the RTS series, unless you're talking about a different series? It had a Fantasy turn based strategy series and a RTS/RPG series

AFAIK:

Last Man Standing : Kill all other players
Domination : Control x% of all sectors (probably around 70%)
Doomsday : Perhaps something tech + production related. Think Beacons of AoW3, if I got it right. No promises here.

This reads a bit too much like Civilization at the moment. Are there any creative twists and ideas for these Victory conditions?

The victory conditions I've heard about are mostly standard ones for games of this type. Curious to see what the deal is with the Doomsday condition Gloweye mentioned (i.e. is it really a thing, if so, how does it work, etc.)

It was on one of the screenshots. The description makes clear that it's possible some doomsday weapon caused the blackout among the planets, and that your tech tree might end in one.

I must have missed that one. Could you link to it/post the screenshot?

It's odd, but I can't find it anymore.

The Doomsday victory condition was on one start of game screenshot of a unit. Like you have the victory conditions in the bottom right corner on AoW3, so did you have it from planetfall.

The other piece of the puzzle is "Who or what brought the empire down? Maybe they’re coming after you as well. Maybe the techs you’re rediscovering are the ones that caused the cataclysm.", which is part of the second dev journal. But these are only references - the real reason I know is because I talked to the dev's at PDXcon.

Makes me wonder how much of a role diplomacy has. They have said that they are improving it compared to AoW3, but... is there any diplomatic victory (like the Council vote from MoO2/SMAC).

I expect the Doomsday victory to be similar to SMAC's weird planet victory (take telepathic control over the alien hive mind on the new strange planet or sth), with magical flavouring.

Transcendence ? Eh, might be. Not the same lore explanation, I think though, but it might be similar implementation.

Dont count to much on magic. Aside from a few psycic races, it's not even confirmed to be in the game.