• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Never played any Age of Wonders games, but this has the feel of trying to be the spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri that Civ:BE utterly failed to be.

AoW folks that remember Alpha Centauri, am I wrong?
If they draw upon Aow3 then the analogy kind of works but Aow1 and Aow2 are more like the heroes of might and magic series than like firaxis 4x games.

Back in he days. roaming the city i cam across a new game store. Stepped in and noticed they have a computer. With some dragon logo game i had never heard of. 15min later i was in love for life. AoW1 was quite something with its little oddities. Aow2 became more mechanical... and shadowmagic really fleshed it out. Especially with the supermod that was created very late (lots of new units, backgrounds etc... some downright artistic maps out there made with that material that whole teams spent lots of manhouryears on!). Aow3 became more ..hmm.. generalized. A lot less tricks that were left for players to create (like no flying ships or squids ;( created via making the unit + flying spell). All of which was removed for very standardized tricks.
I just realized that I have AoW3 on Steam. Not sure where I got it, but must have been free or part of a bundle because I don't recall buying it. But if you're saying AoW3 is the worst of the series, then maybe I should buy the second entry.

I love every single one of the "Age of Wonders" games. They're spiritual successors to the old "Master of Magic" game which is an absolute timeless masterpiece.

Think of a Multi-layered map with above and below ground possibilities, Turn based movement, Civilization Building, Hero Building, and then you have combat. Instead of Civ style resolution, when armies meet together, it goes to a smaller map mode where all your units can use their powers and maneuver, all in a turn based manner (as well).

They're all worth owning from a gameplay standpoint, but I feel that AOW2 is probably the weakest of offerings. AOW, AOW:Shadow Magic, and AOW3 all really scratched my itch.

It kind of sounds like Endless Legend. How does it compare to that game?

Well for one thing, it'll probably/hopefully have gameplay deeper than a puddle in the desert.

And a working combat system.

Sugar coated goodness, as opposed to EL which was sugar coated nothingness if I'm being kind, sugar coated crao if I'm not.

I just realized that I have AoW3 on Steam. Not sure where I got it, but must have been free or part of a bundle because I don't recall buying it. But if you're saying AoW3 is the worst of the series, then maybe I should buy the second entry.
- its not worst... its different. They all different games. 1st one has awesome branching campaign. 2nd is more refined mechanically and has linear campaign. 3rd is all about its "free for all" gimmick and in terms of story it is weakest one ( with last expansion being close to complete nonsense ) IMO.

It kind of sounds like Endless Legend. How does it compare to that game?
- completely different. EL is closer to civ3 than to any other fantasy 4x's.

Can you rediscover magic or will science be the only way to progress?

How much does the setting of Planetfall draw from previous AoW games? As in, the lore & fluff of it rather than the mechanics.
Straight in with the difficult questions : D>

Assuming this is the 'are both games based in the same universe' question. I'm leaving this up to the community to discover and discuss. Mythological Sci-Fi needs some mystery : )>
Given its a whole new IP we have a lot of stuff to tell. We're working on ways of giving bits and pieces of lore as you play. That's done - like some of our previous games - using unit describes, and some other ways still in development. So, I hope you will forgive me not answering your question directly because I don't want to spoil people discovering the lore for themselves or together.

How much does the setting of Planetfall draw from previous AoW games? As in, the lore & fluff of it rather than the mechanics.
Very much doubt there is anything in common between them aside form the name.

Unexpected and completely amazing!
Can there be halflings in space? Please.

Also, if suggestions are welcome, please call races species in sci-fi things cos it sounds more sci-fi, races is *so* fantasy. fantasy races, alien species, its more thematic.
And maybe if you do it starfinder and etc will get the hint and do it too.

Very much doubt there is anything in common between them aside form the name.

There needs to be everything.
The same universe but thousands of years into the future.
Maybe recurring characters from the few survivable immortals the world has going on.

Unexpected and completely amazing!
Can there be halflings in space? Please.

Also, if suggestions are welcome, please call races species in sci-fi things cos it sounds more sci-fi, races is *so* fantasy. fantasy races, alien species, its more thematic.
And maybe if you do it starfinder and etc will get the hint and do it too.

There needs to be everything.
The same universe but thousands of years into the future.
Maybe recurring characters from the few survivable immortals the world has going on.
I though most immortals got trapped outside of the world but alive?

- kek sounds more like last two big Pdx releases than EL.:rolleyes: The only weak thing in EL was AI.

I was comparing EL to what has been shown of Planetfall.

I don't have an opinion of the last 2 Paradox releases.

I do have an opinion on Endless Legend.

Suffice to say I...am not a fan.

I have a sad feeling people are going to insist on comparing this to EL bit I hope I am wrong in that.

I also hope any comparison is superficial, because EL was the single biggest disappointment for me since Elemental.

And that's saying something.

I was comparing EL to what has been shown of Planetfall.
- the only thing that are shown for now are couple of screens and short video, here are almost zero information available on new AoW in space. As for disappointing... well... i was burned by Stellaris, HoI4 and later EU4 and CK2 expansions ( and some other things like new Star Wars or PoE ) so much that i stopped worrying and abandoned all the hype forever. Dont get high expectations and than if desired product will be good it will be like a nice surprise and if it will be bad you could always said - told you so!

For me EL was exactly like that. Bought it on sale and had a blast with it. Never liked ES1 and when EL was covered by game journous as a savior of 4x i just chuckled.

I loved Shadow Magic and AoW 3, Triumph make great games! Really looking forward to this, specially if they have hired the guy who did the music for Stellaris (music was far and away the best part of that shallow game).

The only thing I worry about is how much influence Paradox will have over the direction of the game and whether they will be rubbing their greedy little hands together wondering how they can force their now obnoxious DLC model on a game that shouldn't have it.

Let Triumph make and release and decide upon their own DLC, please. AoW 3's was great.

AoW 3 is quite probably the best game I've ever played, and the first game I played for some time on a PC was Starflight. :)
All comparable or similar games basically consists of two parts: empire management and combat. The AoW series tries to make both parts equally important which means, that compared with titles like EL and Civ you have less/simpler empire management, and more (interesting) combat. Also, a sizable part of what you'd call empire management is aimed directly at improving your military options.

AoW 3 is quite probably the best game I've ever played, and the first game I played for some time on a PC was Starflight. :)
All comparable or similar games basically consists of two parts: empire management and combat. The AoW series tries to make both parts equally important which means, that compared with titles like EL and Civ you have less/simpler empire management, and more (interesting) combat. Also, a sizable part of what you'd call empire management is aimed directly at improving your military options.
I personally felt that AoW3 needed more in the way of empire management, which is why I'm using the Empire Building mod because it fleshes out that part in a big way.