• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes! Long live the Waffle Empire! Soon you will give France and Prussia/Germany the raspberry!

We Are Not a Road, We Are a Country!

Although the events occured in September, the news had not reached back the capital of choice until early 1837. Our lone division had arrived in Java, to supress the rebels, and to our surprise, we were defeated. By early November, when fruit for fruit-galore is slim, our division advanced foward. This time we were not surprised, they were defeated.

The king, whoever he is, was furious at the news of the defeat and ordered the construction of new railroads. And I said to him: "Why should we expand our infastructure? We invite more than friend!" And the king replied to me.
"An enemy is a friend of somebody." And his wisdom confused me.

A peculiar event occured in mid April, when there was a new man in town who proclaimed he could cure aches of the belly. "Waffles and syrup become a shame when pancakes are so light!" He exclaimed to me once. "And syrup is blood," I once replied. Driven to depression we cried, how dare he!

Again new reached us of our lone division, supplies were running low; the Javans had stolen their waffles and ate at the Village Inn. The division had suffered a defeat, but expect this did we? Yes.

And again in the year, more news reached us from Java. A bill of shame and horror, defeat again they had suffered! And again the king, proclaimed we shall unite and stand behind the hardship of our brothers. And again we built railroads!

And I said to my friends: "A spike driven into ground is one less for the coffin."
And they reply back to me: "Brother Jacobs, the madness never ceases! Realize please, we strive upon our work!"
Then I reply: "Better roads we build, better threats we create! We are country, not a road!"
Silence then reigns and they walk away.

(End of 1837)

You may be not a road, but there's plenty of rail for those invading armies to use ;)

[Bad Joke]We are not a road! We are a Railroad![/Bad Joke]

Heh. Breakfast schism. :D That's great. Clearly, you need to make sure Java is under control and churning out enough coffee to go with your early morning meal. ;)

We Are Not a Road, We Are a Country!

Our masterful king he is, it is true! Infinite wisdom he speaks when declare he does the need to protect ourselves! What great news this is, protection from the two nations who wish we ceased to exist. And my companions say: “Brother Jacobs, shall you bless the forts?” And to them I reply: “They shall be blessed!”

And one day the town villagers appeared before my door and said: “A victory is to be proclaimed!” And my reply: “For what reason?” “Our lone division has defeated the Javans, fruit-galore shall return!” And to them I reply: “And God praises us with a new blessing every day!”

One wonderful day in early June, I’m sure it was then, the word of mechanical production spread across the very land to the small town I reside in. With this new technology I fear we may become more of target to the non-waffle-dels. Can the forts never finish in time? But what is this! Fear we must for fear is coming!

The very next month, drums were heard across our two borders, the wheels of cannons against the unpaved paths and nonexistent rails of our enemies. Word soon reached that the Prussians and French had declared war against each other. In epic climax, they amass against their borders, unwilling to attack each other! A victorious day for us our king proclaims spared from the wrath of war!

Word soon reached that the great two nations declared a peace returning to a status quo, luckily none had realized we increased the size of our mobilization pool. And in Java, our great division has secured two provinces from the vanquished rebels and continues to march onto the third. What a glorious year for our ro--- country. We are the Benelux, and I am Brother Jacobs!

(End of 1838)

That was a fortunate uneventful war, otherwise the resolution to be something other than a road might have been sorely tested.

Go Waffles!

I propose that the course of action for Benelux to now take is to grant military access to both Prussia and France, and have the two countries fight their war within their borders. Becoming some sort of way, or path, if you will, between the two countries, on which their armies will traverse.

EDIT: I guess I misread a critical part of that last update. :eek:o

Last edited:
TekcoR said:
...In epic climax, they amass against their borders, unwilling to attack each other! A victorious day for us our king proclaims spared from the wrath of war!

Word soon reached that the great two nations declared a peace returning to a status quo...(End of 1838)
fascinating! ! i'm in! ! :cool:

OH, did you write your "handle" in Cyrillic or Hebrew? ? ;)

anonymous4401 said:
I propose that the course of action for Benelux to now take is to grant military access to both Prussia and France, and have the two countries fight their war within their borders. Becoming some sort of way, or path, if you will, between the two countries, on which their armies will traverse.

EDIT: I guess I misread a critical part of that last update. :eek:o

I guess that might work...in a bizzare sort of way. But yeah, prolly not. Brother Jacobs should be returning soon, he was kind of astonished he and his 'historical' tale of the Benelux got nominated for an Award.