We are live on stream today at 17:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The stream was interesting and answered a few of my questions, but I do have some concerns.

My main concern is that resources are finite. This is a good place to be for the start of the game, but long-term, you need I'd really like to be able to have infinite resources (with a fully established colony). A similar game, Banished, had very limited resources which were required to continue to build. Eventually, you'd exhaust the map, and all your resources had to come from a tiny boat floating down the river you needed to trade with, which never really could bring you enough stone or iron to satisfy your growth (stone) or maintenance (iron for tools) needs. I really enjoyed a modpack that created tech tiers which allowed you to progress from scarce resources, to limited resources, to eventually infinite resources (at limited efficiency and requiring endgame goods and tools).

Tropico 5 had finite resources, but by the time you exhausted them you didn't need them anymore - everything was built with money which you could get from tourism, import/export trade of renewable resources, and limited imports of consumable resources for profit. So you functionally had an infinite resource (money) which could be temporarily boosted by finite resources (coal/iron/aluminum/uranium).

The Tropico 5 solution doesn't work for an economy that requires building supplies, like Banished (which didn't have money) or Surviving Mars (where everything eventually will be built from a limited resource pool). The stream mentioned that you could eventually upgrade your sensors and you'd get another level of mining; does this continue for forever, or only the one time? My concern is that shipping resources from Earth isn't really practical from a game-play or realism perspective. At some point in time, you need to be self-sufficient. Especially when there was a hint that one of the special events was Earth going into WW3 and maybe you don't get rockets anymore.

Are there other plans to add infinite solutions to the Surviving Mars base-game economy? I'm assuming you'll eventually make money from your colonists; maybe a way to pay for buildings locally (or at reduced material cost for a cost in Mars-Bucks)?

TLDR: Do you plan on adding the ability to get a colony truly independent of Earth?

Because many of us were at work or commuting 17:00 CET, could you please upload the whole video somewhere? Is not on twitch channel either :/

The stream was interesting and answered a few of my questions, but I do have some concerns.

My main concern is that resources are finite. This is a good place to be for the start of the game, but long-term, you need I'd really like to be able to have infinite resources (with a fully established colony). A similar game, Banished, had very limited resources which were required to continue to build. Eventually, you'd exhaust the map, and all your resources had to come from a tiny boat floating down the river you needed to trade with, which never really could bring you enough stone or iron to satisfy your growth (stone) or maintenance (iron for tools) needs. I really enjoyed a modpack that created tech tiers which allowed you to progress from scarce resources, to limited resources, to eventually infinite resources (at limited efficiency and requiring endgame goods and tools).

Tropico 5 had finite resources, but by the time you exhausted them you didn't need them anymore - everything was built with money which you could get from tourism, import/export trade of renewable resources, and limited imports of consumable resources for profit. So you functionally had an infinite resource (money) which could be temporarily boosted by finite resources (coal/iron/aluminum/uranium).

The Tropico 5 solution doesn't work for an economy that requires building supplies, like Banished (which didn't have money) or Surviving Mars (where everything eventually will be built from a limited resource pool). The stream mentioned that you could eventually upgrade your sensors and you'd get another level of mining; does this continue for forever, or only the one time? My concern is that shipping resources from Earth isn't really practical from a game-play or realism perspective. At some point in time, you need to be self-sufficient. Especially when there was a hint that one of the special events was Earth going into WW3 and maybe you don't get rockets anymore.

Are there other plans to add infinite solutions to the Surviving Mars base-game economy? I'm assuming you'll eventually make money from your colonists; maybe a way to pay for buildings locally (or at reduced material cost for a cost in Mars-Bucks)?

TLDR: Do you plan on adding the ability to get a colony truly independent of Earth?

Hi,

While finite resources are interesting especially early and mid game, we don't want to make the game limited by their exhaustion. There are different long-term solutions for each particular resource. E.g. a wonder building constructed very late game that mines potentially infinite amounts of metals from the depths of the planet. Solutions are different for every particular resource - another one may be a technology that allows limited yield from depleted deposits or reworks Waste Rock to Concrete.

During the excitement of the stream I forgot to mention, but like Boian posted above me:

There will be ways to get resources late game, you will have technologies that will help you with late game resource production! Do not worry. :=)

Hi,

While finite resources are interesting especially early and mid game, we don't want to make the game limited by their exhaustion. There are different long-term solutions for each particular resource. E.g. a wonder building constructed very late game that mines potentially infinite amounts of metals from the depths of the planet. Solutions are different for every particular resource - another one may be a technology that allows limited yield from depleted deposits or reworks Waste Rock to Concrete.

That sounds really promising. Thank you for the detailed and quick reply.