• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey Rastar, how do you decide when it is a good time to enter into the BB war phase? I've danced near the BB limit in my Ireland game a couple times, but I've been worried what a large Castille and Scandinavia might do. Is it a function of money, income, and lack of large foes that have access to you? I suppose to put it a better way, would you have started the BB wars if Persia and the Golden Horde bordered you? Good job on the management of so many wars by the way :wacko:.

Going narrowminded via events is done via the Founding Father event:) That wont pop up until 17xx+ :)

Good point. It was the founding father event - i played lately a game in the 1700s and had a LOT of overseas provinces. but it wont help Rastar. There is one event about a philosopher, you can imprison him (i think) to become +1 narrowminded but this one isn't province based afaik.

Ah-hah! See, I knew that somehow you'd manage to not have to pull out of that war with the Ottos for the little you already had. :D

Just a shame that the solution was so simple and not some cunning plan. :(

:p

Excellent stuff yet again, though I am not sure how obscure references to rapid eye movement really are. ;)

Hey Rastar, how do you decide when it is a good time to enter into the BB war phase? I've danced near the BB limit in my Ireland game a couple times, but I've been worried what a large Castille and Scandinavia might do. Is it a function of money, income, and lack of large foes that have access to you? I suppose to put it a better way, would you have started the BB wars if Persia and the Golden Horde bordered you? Good job on the management of so many wars by the way :wacko:.

Thanks!

On the BB war timing, I ask myself "Would I have a fighting chance of survival if every country that borders me DOWs me, and all their allies accepted the call to arms?" I view that as the worst case scenario for BB wars, so if I answer "Yes" then I am ready.

For this game, if both Golden Horde and Persia bordered me and had a way to get troops to my homelands, I would have avoided BB wars. If they bordered me but could only get to one or two provinces in Arabia, I likely would have gone ahead with BB plans.

Land border connections are a huge deal in BB wars, which is the main reason why I resisted suggestions to invade India. Almost any new land in India would give me a border with Persia, and I have been prepared to go over BB limit ever since changing governments.

The best defense usually seems to be a good offense, so will be making plans for Golden Horde or Persia once Ottos are done. :cool:

In case you were wondering, yeah I have to play on rather slow speed being at war with 10 countries at once. :rolleyes:

And I was imagining you playing with 8 mice and 8 keyboards... in the internet nobody knows you are an octopus :rofl:

Once you've dealt with the Ottomans I don't think Persia will be that scary...

Rastar's got plenty of troops on rebel watching duty.

You seem to have the Ottos on the run and the mamluks can't be too much of a threat with their constant bankruptcies. Once you've got a border with Persia, you'll be in one series of wars until you've eliminated them. Cherry pick their best provinces as you did with Ming and they'll fall as easily with the same sort of cat and mouse s'trategy. Same with the Golden Horde.

Feedback

Was there any question?

Good work on being bad. :p And on Japan, with their navy so huge would it be worth it to sponsor pirates in an effort to knock them down?

Would love to do that, but have a severe lack of spies. :mad:

I am not sure about this, the goal is to tech faster, right ? Converted provinces will give more income and less rebels in the long run (in short term the rr will rise of curse) and going free subjects will only result in better tech. Otoh there are some events that allows to go narrowminded or at least i have an impression that going narrowminded via random events is quite easy compared to free subjects. Just my 2 cents.

Certainly agree that it going with free subjects over narrowminded is a double-edged sword. What I am looking for is to make up some ground in the next 20 years or so, which would put me in position to attack Europeans. I debated this a lot, and ended up deciding that the near-term impact of slider moves more than offset giving up 0.2 missionaries per year.

That being said, conversion does have huge advantages and I am way behind the curve on conversions since had to lose all missionaries to Westernize.

Going narrowminded via events is done via the Founding Father event:) That wont pop up until 17xx+ :)

Thanks!

"Petition of redress" and "Peasants getting uppity" can eventually move free subjects from -5 to 0, that would ofc take few hundred years... Don't know about founding fathers, but some other Narrowminded events seem to require you to be narrowminded already...

Agreed. I did have one random event already happen that moved me 1 point narrowminded. I forgot to grab a screenshot of it when it happened. Unfortunately the event happened in the middle of Westernization, so the move was wiped out the next time I Westernized. Will keep fingers crossed to see a repeat of it.

The game gets magnificent when the whole world hates you before the middle of 16th century. :D

Yes we are working on the Eastern version of the BBB. :D

Good point. It was the founding father event - i played lately a game in the 1700s and had a LOT of overseas provinces. but it wont help Rastar. There is one event about a philosopher, you can imprison him (i think) to become +1 narrowminded but this one isn't province based afaik.

Thanks!

Ah-hah! See, I knew that somehow you'd manage to not have to pull out of that war with the Ottos for the little you already had. :D

Just a shame that the solution was so simple and not some cunning plan. :(

:p

Excellent stuff yet again, though I am not sure how obscure references to rapid eye movement really are. ;)

Yeah I am a complete beginner at the obscure references, which probably relates to a limited grasp of said culture. :p

How do you deal with rebels? if i try something like this i would drown in rebels and war exhaustion.

War Exhaustion is much more controllable in NI 3.1 than in earlier patches. As long as you can limit troop losses, attrition, blockades, and occupied provinces, it is possible to stay at war forever and maintain a stable WE level. In this AAR I have highlighted the key battles in a war, and they were typically big ones that gave me a lot of WE. Those are very much the exception rather than the norm. My goal for most battles is to get a quick overrun that causes 0 WE on me.

If you are playing vanilla 1.3, WE goes up automatically each month and there is nothing you can do about it. It is easy to get into a “WE death spiral” that destroys your country, and the only solution is to figure out how to achieve complete peace every few years so that your WE will fade away. Prawnstar’s completed WC with Castille in 1.3 is a great tutorial in seeing how someone controls WE in that environment.

Rebels are the evil bane of the WC. I believe that rebel issues are perhaps the biggest reason that people quit on games after a period of time, since fighting rebels is not that much fun. If you are taking lots of new land, you are guaranteed to get lots and lots of rebels. I don’t talk about rebels much anymore because it doesn’t make for very interesting reading, but in my actual playtime a very large portion is spent on rebel control. If you would like to get a feel for the number of rebels I am facing, take a look at the “land combat” and “hostile siege” sections of the ledger in the various screenshots. You will frequently see up to 6 different provinces listed that are nowhere near the front lines of battles. Those activities are all rebels.

The solution to rebels is to keep lots of troops on rebel control duty. Probably around half of my troops are on rebel duty at the moment, and the percentage will go up as the country grows larger. I use exclusively cavalry for rebel duty, since a stack of cavalry can quickly get to a lot more provinces than infantry or mixed troops. The size of the stack is based on the base tax of the surrounding provinces. In poor areas like Siberia, rebel pops will be 2-3k and you can easily handle them with a 3-4k cavalry stack. In rich areas like Netherlands or coastal China, rebel pops will be 10-14k so you need much larger troop stacks. So far in this game, Rome has popped rebels 4 different times and 14k of them each time.

And I was imagining you playing with 8 mice and 8 keyboards... in the internet nobody knows you are an octopus :rofl:

Once you've dealt with the Ottomans I don't think Persia will be that scary...

Lol…yeah but it gets expensive replacing keyboards. When I get excited and squirt black ink all over everything, it really causes problems…

Rastar's got plenty of troops on rebel watching duty.

You seem to have the Ottos on the run and the mamluks can't be too much of a threat with their constant bankruptcies. Once you've got a border with Persia, you'll be in one series of wars until you've eliminated them. Cherry pick their best provinces as you did with Ming and they'll fall as easily with the same sort of cat and mouse s'trategy. Same with the Golden Horde.

Agreed. Will be a long series of wars with both Persia and the Horde. Will try to maneuver so that I fight them one at a time, as troop cost would skyrocket if I fought both of them at the same time.

_______
Note: I know an update is overdue and am sorry about that. The gameplay is done, while write-up and screenies are not. I am dealing with the twin challenges of “Need to show you more years of action in order to have a good enough story to be worthy of posting”, and “Each year of action involves more and more rebels and so takes even longer to actually play”. It is frustrating me a bit at the moment as would prefer to be able to keep updates on a 3-day cycle, but RL just doesn’t give me as many hours to play per day as it should. :p

Damn you Real Life! why were you ever invented.

With regards to the length and amount of action pr update, i think you are on the spot. Many AARs, as well as the games, becomes dull after a certain stage of the game.

And for the coming game session i wish you luck with the RR dice, so you can avoid rebels!

Peace out with which ever of Golden Horde and Persia is not alliance leader and fight the other, grab a few provinces. Then when peace out before the truce expires. If they're still allied, it's unlikely that the other will want to take the massive hit for declaring again so soon. You should then be able to fight one at a time.

I think your troop cost will sky rocket due to the extra provinces requiring rebel watching, at least until they become right religion and cores. Even then, you'll be fighting all the time due to BB that your war exhaustion will be high.

Hey, don't worry about your frequency of posts.

Don't worry about post frequency, just post when you're ready.

I completely agree about the rebels and boredom issues once you get deep into a campaign. I know that I've always had to force myself to finish a GC. The Castile AAR helped me keep the discipline needed with that game and I expect that the AAR will keep me going with the Iroquois.

As for the sliders I'd have gone Narrowminded for the missionaries but then again I would wouldn't I ;)

Oh yes i forgot. You have been awarded a Lord Strange Cookie of British (Malaccan) awesomeness
All the good AARs have one.

I think this is one of those AARs where you don't have to worry about how often you post. ;)

A shame about the spies but I was also thinking that a few pirates might not make a huge difference when combating the Japanese fleet.

I've been following this a bit and it looks really good.

I totally agree with you on the rebel part. There is that point where the mayor part is spent putting down those rebel scum. Then to make it worse you know that the further along you go, the bigger % of playing time will be spent doing just that.

Take your time and stay strong. ;)

I am dealing with the twin challenges of “Need to show you more years of action in order to have a good enough story to be worthy of posting”, and “Each year of action involves more and more rebels and so takes even longer to actually play”.

Take it easy, don't worry about update frequency. For what I hear the game in 3.1 becomes a bit of a rebel whac-a-mole. But there is no rebel stack in the world big enough to stand between Malacca and world domination :cool:

Good work so far, I'm glad you proved me wrong once again!

As for the frequency of the posts, you can write one once as month, as long as the quality compensates for the quantity!! Given that you managed to emerge victorious from every occasion where you should have been conquered so far, I don't doubt the quality is there, so just continue without pressure!

Reading this and trying to avoid my eyes pop out cost me about four hours of sleep last night.
I do not regret this one bit, though.

Defeating Ming was an outlandish feat. Although I knew about all the tactics you used, I would have never even contemplated DOW when faced with such disparity of power. Would have thought that an enemy who outnumbers you 8 to 1 would find some troops to spare and send them attacking your unprotected (!) homeland straight away no matter what :wacko: ...never mind I would never have the patience to dance a dozen stacks for five years while playing at slowest speed...

Still goes to show how badly AI needs even more programming.

Thanks for all the support on update frequency!

Unfortunately, we have a bit of a problem at the moment. My computer has refused to boot for the last several days, and I have given up on fixing it myself. Seems to be a problem with Vista (!#$!@#$#) and perhaps issues with recent Nvidia driver updates. As expected, Microsoft support has been....less then spectacular. Bottom line, I am out of commission at home and am having to write you this note from work :eek:

Anyway, I have a lead on a tech guy who will hopefully be able to fix it. I'm not totally clear on how quickly the tech guy will be able to take a look at it and get rid of the problems. I think the hard drive is fine, but of course am not 100% sure.