• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheArchMede

General
11 Badges
Jun 16, 2004
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
The discussion in the Empire thread was getting a bit long for a game that has hardly begun so I'm making a separate thread for it.

This attempt is a Prawnstar style no cheese WC with Portugal in 5.2 with the bugfix. I have previously completed WCs as England, France, Castille, Burgundy and the Ottomans (twice). At the moment its a test game, and some of the things I've tried having worked out as well as I probably needed them to, so I am expecting to restart once I think I've properly explored the options available to Portugal.

Portugal has the advantage other the others that it doesn't have to be taken out fast, but doesn't have the starting size or helpful missions and cores on rivals the others do.

Manpower:
This is tight for everyone at the start of the game in 5.2 and Portugal is particularly weak.
I always hire the highest level advisor available when the advisor market opens up a year into the game. I hired a lot of mercenaries for the first war with Castille which was minting well spent. In addition I took Conscripts as the second Idea (Drill is essential as the first). This isn't something I've done before, except in a campaign where its already taken at the start of the game. It worked rather better than I thought it would.
Avoiding taking casualties is very important, but my problems with keeping an army up around the force limit were more to do with having the funding than having the troops and the force limit wasn't as shabby as I had feared it might be.

The biggest problem I've found so far, is the lack of CBs. I've been very reliant on other powers starting wars that I could exploit, rather than being able to start them on my terms. Wars against Castille have been Alliance, Obscure Documents, Restoration of Union (twice). Wars against France have been accepting call from England (3x) and Conquest (mission). I haven't managed to get a CB on England at all yet. The option I was working on was allying with France, hoping that makes France feel strong enough to try a Reconquest, and hoping I get the leadership when I get called. Then I got a chance to claim the throne of Aragon, but they'll call Scotland as well as England.
EU3_7.gif

Its probably too late already, I was never that hopeful about being to take out England before they got Quest, but I think they'll have it for a long time and leave me with an awful lot of lands needing to be protected by spies until I can colonise them myself. I'm not sure if the AI tends to leave it to a later slot if its been wrecked in a war, but thats the sort of straw I'm left with.
EU3_8.gif

Meanwhile, out on the Steppe. That's a rather large rebel stack. Its not the only one, theres a similar sized one last seen heading into the interior of Muscovy. Managing this without bleeding manpower can get tricky. The Portugese army is not too shabby, and there are units to bring it above Austria under construction, there's enough to sneak 24k into Scotland and leave 16k in Spain while not letting rebels have a completely free rein, but having Scotland on the same side as England is something I'd prefer to have avoided.

1550, England still not suppressed, CBs still a problem. The degree to which they've explored will shortly be a major problem as the map spreads. I'm not optimistic that my spies will be up to the job, but it needs to be tested.
Muscovy triggered the "please partition me" event from reforming the liberum veto and gave me lots of cores, which is why I have a lot more of Russia than Russia does.
EU3_9.gif

1600 update:
England was taken down by diplo-annexing Normandy (which didn't own Normandy), thereby obtaining a liberation CB on England for Normandy which fortunately was not force released by someone else in between the two wars it took to annex England.
England's exploration map just before they were annexed. The entire Atlantic coastline to the north is also explored. There's some bricks in the Portugese wall already in place, but its going to take a lot more.
EU3_10.gif

1600 wall.
The entire coastline of America north of here is Portuguese. Several provinces had to be taken at full price in Colonial wars and lots more were seized at 0.1 or 0.2 BB, but only the only completed colony not in Portuguese hands is half of Greenland that is owned by Austria. Lots of spies, lots of burnings, lots of letting those African spaces build up to 450 colonists before sending in the spies. I was paying more on colony maintenance than the full pay cost for my army force limit for a couple of decades, but enough have completed in the last 10 years that I'm no longer reliant on extorting 1000s for peace out of wealthy natives every decade to stop inflation drifting up more than half a point. (about 1.7 before the colonist frenzy kicked off and stabilised at 2.1).
EU3_11.gif

The main cost is stalling the push east with holy war. Nomads have only been colonised enough to get bonus colonists from missions for use on the Atlantic coasts. I did manage to get into Persia just in time to abort their colonisation of Timurids and Khazaks but I've never managed to scrape together enough troops to break into India or enough BB headroom to mop up Arabia or the east coast of Africa.
EU3_12.gif

The situation in Europe is pretty decent, so this isn't failing horribly, and I'm going to have to keep playing for a while yet to see how close it actually is.

1650 update
Holy war needs to be milked for as much as possible. There are 24 holy wars active as 1649 draws to a close. If I hadn't run out of diplomats there'd be 22. Too busy declaring war to make peace.
EU3_13.gif

At the point I got Cabinet, there were about 700 provinces left to conquer, and probably a little more than that in BB available to spend on taking them, but there's a long period coming up without a 1 BB/province CB except for the remaining pagans. I haven't got a record of how many provinces were left to take at a similar point in the other WCs I did, but I suspect I'm about 50 short.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1690 update: End of the holy wars. Final peace was with Japan. Two missed opportunities, I used the final diplomat to declare war on Johor rather than Wu, both were OPMs at the time but Wu managed to get quite a bit of Ming to defect to it while Johor got taken out by Aceh. Second, Ceylon managed to auto WP well before I thought it was eligible for it. Keep a war going for 20 years and the provinces get a lot cheaper, so several of those wars resulted in lots more provinces being taken than would have been possible in a short war.
EU3_16.gif

Big difference from 1650!
I think it was 33 (25 peace, 8 defected during the war) provinces off Ming alone and I missed out on another half dozen by not occupying them before they defected to Wu. I actually emptied the manpower pool, more from expanding the army to deal with all the rebels plus building up a new army for the big European wars that are now necessary. The pool is pretty small compared to the force limit (and will stay that way until I get a land connection from Portugal into Asia)
EU3_17.gif
The big boys: Burgundy, Austria (HRE) and Bohemia are all allied. so there's not much can be done without fighting all of them, and Burgundy has acquired QFTNW. Its back to exploring the rest of the coastlines in the Pacific and another mass colonisation spree, while trying to wreck Burgundy in a BB efficient manner. Nice CoT you have there, shame if some neighbouring power with 4x your army happened to acquire a core on it ...
Remaining provinces:
Asia 89
Africa 21
Americas 36
Europe periphery 86
Europe core (HRE) 182
Seems there ought to be more, but if I haven't miscounted somewhere, this has been a very profitable 50 years since taking Cabinet, and this is now pretty much on track for WC.

Remaining provinces + OPMs
Asia 57+6
Africa 4+2
Americas 0
Europe periphery 73+6
Europe core 159+18
Maybe 350 BB to play with with average luck, but still some time till the 1BB CB becomes available.

The HRE became hereditary under Austria. Which means cleaning it up without paying extra BB on the a lot of the OPMs is going to be awkward.
EU3_18.gif

The other awkward situation is Denmark being in a personal union, which stops me accessing republics. There have been some mad kings recently.
The Fear and Loathing event chain fired twice. The DIP3 heir died, to be replaced by another DIP3 before I could arrange for the King to be brought to justice.
The King died triggering a 12-year regency, fortunately with a reasonably talented regent who usurped the throne half way through it. He then got the Fear and Loathing too, but since his heir was DIP8, I chose the contained insanity rather than the murdering bastard option. This is supposed to be Europa Universalis not Crusader Kings!

• 2Like
Reactions:
The HRE is shrinking, but is it shrinking fast enough?
EU3_19.gif

Remaining provinces (+OPMs -useful cores)
Asia: 20, 1, 1
Africa 4, 2, 0
Peripheral Europe 48, 8,1
HRE blob 71,15,2
Total: 143,26,4
5 remaining diploannexes will clean up 5 OPMs, 2 are vassals that will be cleaned up in a war against their overlord, leaving 158 BB to annex everything.
The limit will be about 40 at game end leaving 45 years to burn 128 BB. If I haven't miscounted somewhere, this is going to happen. Average burn is going to be between 3 and 3.5 per year, plus there'll be bonuses from events and missions, plus a few OPMs cleaned up by assorted cunning plans.
I wonder if annexing the hereditary ruler of the HRE disbands it? Time will tell!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Damn ArchMede, you still around playing EU3? I remember the times back then when you were around EU2, lol. Seems not much has changed!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Still going. Though there appears to be a slight problem...
EU3_20.gif

Time is running out and Annex is greyed out on Austria. I think it must be something to do with them being the hereditary Emperors. I'm not sure what it takes to annex them, maybe I have to revoke the hereditary HRE reform, immediately break the truce and occupy them again. There is just about enough spare infamy to do that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seems the HRE ruler can't be annexed, but revoking the reform allowed the HRE to be disbanded.
EU3_21.gif

The last enemy to be conquered was the Pope.
Everywhere was colonised. A few confucians were still resisting conversion, but otherwise the whole world was catholic.
EU3_22.gif

I could have run infamy down a bit more, but 0 at game end was out of reach. I could also have pushed the limit up a bit, so there was about 20 spare. I was trying not to break any truces, but ended up needing to break a couple to fit all the wars in before the game ended.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Nicely done, I just hope you had fun killing all the revolts in your big big empire, lol. I think I only did 1 or 2 WCs and promised myself never to do one again (in EU3). I believe they made it easier in later patches, but back on patch 4.0 I remember that revolts were the biggest problem.

You'll only get revolt spam if you are playing a horde, or if you go over the infamy limit. The ideal infamy for this sort of WC is as low as possible without ever being 0 and hence no revolt spam. Revolts happened, but no spam. Maximum burn rate requires infamy to be kept as low as possible without ever actually reaching zero, so the point at which the annoying stuff starts happening (2/3 of the limit) was almost never breached.