• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wave

Rocker moth
61 Badges
Sep 12, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello everyone, welcome to the first modding guide I've ever made!

Here we will be making a republic of Ireland in your own Rome game.

Notes:

* Some people may do the things in different order but this is how I add countries
* I use Windows Vista, only difference to other operating systems is that it often doesn't let you save all files after you've copied them because they're "read-only" and you have to save them as something else and then rename.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So let's begin!

If you are not sure where you installed your EU:Rome you most likely find it from C:/program files/Paradox interactive/Rome
If it isn't there, use the ah-so-useful search function and try to find it.

Open the folder two times so you'll have two open windows. In the folder you'll find more folders named Common, Decisions, History, Localisation, Mod and a lot others.

We will first go to the mod folder, there you will meet the dummy file, say hello to it. Nice, that's polite. Now you may create a new folder, name it with your mod's name. I'll name this one 'Guide'.

Now you have your mod folder and the vanilla folder, don't mix them up accidentally (it sucks to start finding out what files you messed up in the vanilla and fix them back especially if you don't have back-ups..). Make a folder called 'common' in your mod folder (just like there is in vanilla) and go to vanilla rome's common folder and copy the countries text file inside it to your common folder.

Open the countries.txt and do your own choice, you may go to the bottom line of it and make a comment line like "#custom made countries" and add all of your own countries under it or just go under the "#Britain" and start from there.

Now we need to decide a tag for your country, if two countries have same tags it causes problems so check if some country already has same tag. Here is two recommended ways to tag your countries, I use both ways: Logical tags for country named 'Republic of Ireland' would be REI or ROI or IRE, and the revolt faction would be RE2 or IR2 (RO2 is used by Roman rebels). Other way is to tag it like C01 (custom 01) and revolt faction would be D01 or whatever you like. I will use IRE in this tutorial.

I added "#Custom countries" to the end of the file and after that
IRE (press tab here) ="countries/Ireland.txt"
IR2 (press tab here) ="countries/Ireland Revolt.txt"

Remember the quote marks!

Now you may close the file (I usually keep it open so I can check if I don't remember the tags) and go back to the common folder. Make a folder called 'countries'. Inside there you have to make two text files, those that you typed in the countries.txt before. Names must be same (May be even case-sensitive). Easiest way is to copy some original country's file to there and just tweak it. As we will be civilized Irish people instead of a tribe I copied Achaean League's file to there. The file looks like this:

Code:
civil_war_faction = AC2
graphical_culture = greekgfx
color = { 145  180  188 }
color2 = { 110 112 142 }

ship_names = {
	Aglaia Agreuousa Aktis Andreia Anthera Anysis Apobasis Ariste Asklepias Aura
	Boetheia
	Charis
	Delphis Delphis Dikaiosyne Doxa Dynamis
	Eleusis Eleutheria Epideixis Eucharis Eudaimonia Eueteria Euia Eukarpia Eunoia Euphemia Euphrainousa Euporia Eutychia
	Gnome Gnoste
	Hebe Hegemone Hegemonia Hiera Hikane Hippia Homonoia Hygieia
	Kallixena Kouphotate Kratiste Kratousa
	Leontis
	Megiste
	Naukratousa Nemeas Nike Nikosa
	Okeia Olympias Ortheia
	Panoplia Paralia Parataxis Parrhesia Peristera Petomene Philotimia Potone Pronoia Proplous Prote
	Seiren Soizousa Stephanephoria Stephanoumene Stephanousa Stilbousa Strategis Symmachia Syntaxis
	Takheia Theoris Thera
}

Let's go onwards line by line:
civil war faction must be IR2, if two nations have same tags civil wars will bug.
graphical culture: choices are romangfx, carthagegfx, greekgfx, seleucidgfx, egyptgfx, germangfx, persiangfx, celticgfx, scythiangfx and iberiangfx. Graphical culture affects what your armies look like.
color = { xxx xxx xxx } this is RGB color of your nation. I'll make the Ireland green as it's the Emerald Island. (100 250 50)
color2 = { xxx xxx xxx } I'm not sure what this color affects, change if you like.
ship names, I usually leave them be what they are. If you want to name your ships yourself, there you go.

Save the file as 'Ireland' to your countries folder (do not overwrite the original) and exit and copy the file and paste it next to the other. Name the other file 'Ireland Revolt', civil war faction is IRE, otherwise tweak it as you like.
Now you may ask, the nation was supposed to be 'The republic of Ireland' not simply Ireland. Well, you'll see it soon how we make it;)

Now go to the folder of your mod, (mine is Guide). Create another folder called 'history'. In the history folder create two more folders, 'provinces' and 'countries'.

Go find a country (I'll take Achaea again) in your vanilla rome's history/countries folder and copy it to the mod's history/countries folder.

Well, apparently Achaean League wasn't the best possible for modding but good for tutorial. The file looks like this:

Code:
government = republic_confederacy
technology_group = greek_tech
primary_culture = greek
religion = greek_pantheon
capital = 143 # Patras

498.1.1 = { ruler = 310001 } # Margos

509.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon

510.1.1 = { ruler = 310003 } # Dioedas

511.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon

512.1.1 = { ruler = 310004 } # Aegialeas

513.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon

520.1.1 = { ruler = 310005 } # Lydiadas of Megalopolis

521.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon

522.1.1 = { ruler = 310005 } # Lydiadas of Megalopolis

523.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon

524.1.1 = { ruler = 310005 } # Lydiadas of Megalopolis

525.1.1 = { ruler = 310006 } # Aristomachos of Argos

527.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon	

528.1.1 = { ruler = 310007 } # Hyperuatas

528.10.1 = { ruler = 310008 } # Timoxenos

529.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon	

536.1.1 = { ruler = 310009 } # Epiratos

537.1.1 = { ruler = 310002 } # Aratus of Sicyon	

541.1.1 = { ruler = 310010 } # Cycliadas

545.1.1 = { ruler = 310011 } # Philopoemen of Megalopolis

546.1.1 = { ruler = 310010 } # Cycliadas

555.1.1 = { ruler = 310012 } # Aristaenos of Megalopolis

556.1.1 = { ruler = 310013 } # Nicostratos

557.1.1 = { capital = 142 } # Corinth

557.1.1 = { ruler = 310012 } # Aristaenos of Megalopolis

561.1.1 = { ruler = 310011 } # Philopoemen of Megalopolis

562.1.1 = { ruler = 310014 } # Diophanes

563.1.1 = { ruler = 310011 } # Philopoemen of Megalopolis

568.1.1 = { ruler = 310012 } # Aristaenos of Megalopolis

569.1.1 = { ruler = 310015 } # Lycortas of Megalopolis

571.1.1 = { ruler = 310011 } # Philopoemen of Megalopolis

571.9.1 = { ruler = 310016 } # Archon

572.1.1 = { ruler = 310015 } # Lycortas of Megalopolis

573.1.1 = { ruler = 310017 } # Calicrates

575.1.1 = { ruler = 310018 } # Xenarchos

580.1.1 = { ruler = 310016 } # Archon

603.1.1 = { ruler = 310019 } # Menalkidas of Sparta

604.1.1 = { ruler = 310020 } # Diaeos of Megalopolis

605.1.1 = { ruler = 310021 } # Damocritus

607.1.1 = { ruler = 310022 } # Critolaos of Megalopolis

608.1.1 = { capital = 143 } # Aegium

710.1.1 = { capital = 142 } # Corinth

First line, your goverment type. We were the republic of Ireland so this goes well without changing
technology group, this doesn't matter very much but as we live in Britannia I'll change it to celtic_tech.
primary culture, if we don't want to change every province's culture it's better to change it to celtic too. So put there 'celtic'.
religion, again if we don't want to tweak provinces it's better to change this to 'druidism'
capital, now this is hard if you don't know all province IDs.. Leave the file for a while, go to vanilla rome's history folder and open provinces subfolder. Usually you may want to search, this time it's easy as Ireland's provinces are last 4 in the list. Tibernii (269) will be the capital of our glorious nation. Copy last two files (Tibernii & Eblana) and paste them to your mod's provinces folder. Good. Now you can switch back to the text file we had open and replace the line capital = 143 # Patras with capital = 269 # Tibernii
The rest of the file is history notes, all of those can be deleted, and may be that they must be deleted or it may cause problems as two nations have same rulers etc.

Name the file to IRE - Ireland and save. Copy it, paste it next to the other file, rename to IR2 - Ireland Revolt and we've done everything we need in this folder.

Go to your mod's history/provinces folder and open the Tibernii file.

It looks like this:

Code:
#269 - Tibernii

capital = "Tibernii"
culture = celtic
religion = druidism
trade_goods = grain
civilization_value = 20
barbarian_power = 6
split = 35.40.25

Make it look like this and you should be fine with it.

Code:
#269 - Tibernii

owner = IRE
controller = IRE
add_core = IRE
capital = "Tibernii"
culture = celtic
religion = druidism
trade_goods = grain
population = 15
civilization_value = 45
barbarian_power = 0
split = 40.30.30

First line explains who owns the province,
second who controls it (if in war someone else controls the province it has the stripes of the controlling nation's color)
third line gives you core to it
rest are probably simple to understand. Split means the rate of Civilians/Freemen/Slaves.

Changing province owners and stuff in EU games is simple and pretty easy to understand but as you need to change every province in different file it's pain in the ass for modders when we want to make a large nation.

Add the owner, controller, core and population lines to the Eblana file, change barbarian power to 0 and rise the civilization value as we're highly civilized Irish people.

Congratulations dude! You've just made a working, playable nation in the game. Anyway, don't party yet. There is one more thing to do before we can test it.
Open a plain file in notepad and write along with me:

Code:
name = "My first EU:R mod"
extend = "common"
extend = "history"

First line is the name it shows in the launcher when you choose the mod
Second line is an command to take all new files from your modded 'common' folder and add them to the game.
Third is same but with 'history' folder. If you make a total conversion mod where you make everything again you may use "replace = <folder>" command to use only your own files.

Save the file with same name you have in your mod's folder (mine is 'Guide') and the file type must be .mod (My mod file is then Guide.mod).

Now if everything has worked your mod should be playable!

I guess you played with the country a bit, you probably noticed that the country doesn't have a name or flag yet, only the IRE tag and white flag. Now we're about to fix all little things and add some stuff.

First open again two folders, the mod and vanilla folder.

Go to vanilla's 'localisation' folder. There you find a lot of weird files and if you have Microsoft office Excel it wants to use it for opening. Here using Notepad++ (Free software) is greatly recommended as Excel kills your brains and regular Notepad is terrible for these files.
Go to your mod's "main" folder, the one where is common and history folders. Make a new one, 'localisation'. Find a file called 'countries' in the vanilla localisation folder and copy it to your mod's localisation folder.
Once you've opened the file (whatever program you used, Notepad rather than Excel if you want to get something done), get used to watch it. It ain't SO crazy after all.

We once again have 2 choices, either make new comment line and add things under it or join the madness and mix the original lines. I'll use the second way. Find line 'IL2;Illyrian Rebels;Rebelles Illyriens;Illyrische Rebellen;;Rebeldes ilirios;Ribelli illiri;;;;;;x', our line will be under it if we want to keep it nice and clean with alphabetical order.
You probably may guess what we're going to do, anyway I'll tell it. Copy these two lines in there:

Code:
IRE;The Republic of Ireland;The Republic of Ireland;The Republic of Ireland;The Republic of Ireland;The Republic of Ireland;;;;;;x
IR2;Irish Rebels;Irish Rebels;Irish Rebels;Irish Rebels;Irish Rebels;;;;;;x

So the trick is this: First thing is the tag of your country, that tells what is being described here. Second thing is the description of the tag in english, second in French, third in German and so on. I speak good english but maybe 3 words of rest of those languages so I just copy the same for all of them. Every description is separated with ;, after those five different languages is six of them and an X. Don't ask me what they are for, I'm learning myself all the time and making my first good mod..

Now scroll down and find a line IL2_ADJ;llyrian;Illyriens;llyrisch;;Iliria;illirici;;;;;;x
This _ADJ thing causes names the wars you wage and some other things, without this war you wage would be "IRE_aggression" or "The Republic of Ireland aggression". Now it will be Irish aggression.
Add a line into the file:

Code:
IRE_ADJ;Irish;Irish;Irish;Irish;Irish;;;;;;x
IR2_ADJ;Irish;Irish;Irish;Irish;irish;;;;;;x

Now your country has a name and other grammatic things working nicely.

Make a folder called gfx in your mod's main folder, open it and make a subfolder called 'flags' inside it.
Now we need to make a flag for your country, if you have GIMP, photoshop or other program like that you probably have very few problems.
I use gimp (another free program that you may find use for if you download it). I'm bad with GIMP so I just draw some lines and it'll be fine enough for me. There is a few restrictions with the flag:

* It must be small, 64 x 64 pixels recommended, it's same size as other EU game flags have.
* The file type must be .tga (targa picture)

Once you have a picture you're happy with save it to the flags folder and name it with your nation's tag. You have to make flags for revolt factions too which means you'll have a lot of flags very soon :D

After this go to the EU:Rome/mod folder and open the .mod file with notepad. Add there extend = "localisation" and extend = "gfx"

Now your nation is just like all others! You've done it! YAY!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to ask for anything, I'm pretty bad at explaining anything so this guide may have some parts that are hard to understand and as I wrote this in 3 parts there may be some things told twice.
I hope this helps someone who is willing to start modding his game but doesn't know where to begin. Always remember that in Rome you have to make 2 nations even if you see only one, the revolt faction needs everything your own nation has.

Last edited:
Fixed a few typos and cleared some stuff :D

Another guide about making events and decisions coming when I get my own events & decisions work :p

Awesome view/reply ratio :D So far 50 views and one reply (mine not counted) :D

Don't forget the thread is in a specific section of a not-so-viewed game subforum.
Taking that into account, the views and replies are still proof that the post was worth it. :)

In case you're not convinced, let me add – thank you very much for your guide. It was instructive, helpful and entertaining too!

I don't play Rome much nowadays, but it's always nice to learn a few things that might be useful to the coming Pdox games...

I agree: I will surely follow your thread. Because I have (highly unrealistic) dreams of making a EU:R mod á la Great Invasions. Or at least something for the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, and the following Barbarian kingdoms, Bysans, etc. A time period dearly missed among (great) strategy games...!

So go for it. I will keep an eye on your posts.

The problem may be one of the next:

Not adding population value to one of country's provinces
Having typo in country's history file
Having typo in province's history file
Having no capital chosen to the country

Check all of these and remember, government = governement_type
not government_type = goverment_type like in EU3. This was the major failure I made in my first mod.

If you want, upload the history folder somewhere and send as PM me the link and I'll check the problem

just wanted to say thanks for this, i am working on a middle ages mod for rome and i have used this to make countless nations

Thanks Cheexsta! :)

I actually have similar guide about generally modding under work (has been for a couple of weeks now..) and perhaps I'll get it done eventually so I can post it here.

So I can create Greek? What I mean is that there's contries there already. And when you created Irland.txt and Irland Rebels.txt or something did you put them to the vanilla? Since you said doint overwrite the original.

So I can create Greek? What I mean is that there's contries there already. And when you created Irland.txt and Irland Rebels.txt or something did you put them to the vanilla? Since you said doint overwrite the original.

Near the start of the guide it tells you how to create a folder for the mod.

Yeah you can remove one country from the map and the game and create another on its place. Easier is anyway simply rename and perhaps change some info of existing country.
I just made the guide country in Ireland because there was free space.

Yeah you can remove one country from the map and the game and create another on its place. Easier is anyway simply rename and perhaps change some info of existing country.
I just made the guide country in Ireland because there was free space.

I have not done Greek yet but I'd love so it's still kind of odd to me so do I need to delete all contries that are there from original game files or?

I have not done Greek yet but I'd love so it's still kind of odd to me so do I need to delete all contries that are there from original game files or?

apologies for the bad choise of words. With deleting I meant removing the country (totally or pieces of it) from the map.

You just need to change the province owner and controller to remove countries, just like is done when countries conquer eachother as time goes on and you choose later start time. There is no need of deleting any files.

As an example if you want greece to own aetolia you create the country greece and then just replace

Owner = AET
Controller = AET
Add_core = AET

With

Owner = tag
Controller = tag
Add_core = tag

The tag there means the tag you will use for greece. This erases Aetolian League from the map and adds your own country on it.

I hope this helps!

---

The text above was written with a Samsung smartphone so I can almost assure that somewhere out there you may find a typo or two..

EDIT:

I realized that I actually didn't answer the question..

You can either add all new stuff to your vanilla Rome files but then you should have a backup copy of it in case you want to play the vanilla and/or the mod wrecks the game. I started my modding by making zillion copies of the whole Rome folder which ate up my hard drive space but it was simple for the beginner.

If you however make everything in the mod folder and then use the extend function the game reads all mod data and adds them into the game so you have all vanilla things and your own stuff.
The replace function uses only the mod files so you'd need to make every file yourself.

Last edited:
apologies for the bad choise of words. With deleting I meant removing the country (totally or pieces of it) from the map.

You just need to change the province owner and controller to remove countries, just like is done when countries conquer eachother as time goes on and you choose later start time. There is no need of deleting any files.

As an example if you want greece to own aetolia you create the country greece and then just replace

Owner = AET
Controller = AET
Add_core = AET

With

Owner = tag
Controller = tag
Add_core = tag

The tag there means the tag you will use for greece. This erases Aetolian League from the map and adds your own country on it.

I hope this helps!

---

The text above was written with a Samsung smartphone so I can almost assure that somewhere out there you may find a typo or two..

EDIT:

I realized that I actually didn't answer the question..

You can either add all new stuff to your vanilla Rome files but then you should have a backup copy of it in case you want to play the vanilla and/or the mod wrecks the game. I started my modding by making zillion copies of the whole Rome folder which ate up my hard drive space but it was simple for the beginner.

If you however make everything in the mod folder and then use the extend function the game reads all mod data and adds them into the game so you have all vanilla things and your own stuff.
The replace function uses only the mod files so you'd need to make every file yourself.

Ahh okay thanks :)

I know this is an older thread, but maybe someone will respond. I have been using this in my first baby steps at modding. Before finding this thread I figured out how to change a province's owner on my own. I have tried to make Gaul stronger by upping the tribes to 2 or 3 provinces each and changing governments to tribal governments from Lofmod. It works at first but at exactly one year from earliest date they revert to barbarian provinces. Sometimes they all do and sometimes some of them stay. What do I do to fix this?