• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Chapter I – 1066

«Curious. This is something new, my friend.”

The Creature bobbed his head.

“Ah, yes.”

The Watcher smirked.

“Far from the galactic empires I use to watch.”

He nodded.

“Yes, for once I wanted to watch one of the primitive species in a galaxy.”

The Creature winked.

“And would this primitive species, pray tell, be one of your beloved humans?”

The Watcher laughed.

“Guilty as charged my friend. Guilty as charged.”

He pointed. Look at this. It is part of their Earth, a little over a millennium before they reach the stars, I’d wager.”

qarmSrK.png

He shook his head.

“That is, of course, if the humans of galaxy N-45C-19, dimension T-GT52-19 doesn’t obliterate themselves in a nuclear war. It happens all too often.”

He looked up.

“In any case, I decided to watch the area called Europe, Northern Africa and the Near East. In most galaxies, this is the part where the first push towards modernity happens.”

The Creature smiled.

“Not the nation called China? I seem to remember them being in the lead in several of the galaxies you’ve mentioned.”

The Watcher tsk’ed.

“It is a risk. But I think we will enjoy this one, quite a lot, whatever happens.”

The Creature yawned.

“I trust you, old friend. What do you think, should we try a cup of coffee and sit down for the show?”

Ah, the Creature and the Watcher return. I'll be watching this.

Is this Observe mode?

Ah, the Creature and the Watcher return. I'll be watching this.

Is this Observe mode?
It is indeed. :) I'm observing and taking some notes. Hopefully it will work out fine, this is quite different from Stellaris after all. :) And there I actually played the game too.

Oh, I'm here for this.

“Not the nation called China? I seem to remember them being in the lead in several of the galaxies you’ve mentioned.”

The Watcher tsk’ed.

Somebody needs to tell The Creature that Paradox hasn't released that DLC yet.

Ah, my favorite somewhat mysterious characters return.

Watching here too.

It’s an interesting premise. Since it’s on observation mode, I assume we’ll be watching Europe self-destruct?
Good question. This is my second hands off game, the first lasting half a century. I see differences and likenesses already. This second has so far been the "best" and is why I chose it. :)
Oh, I'm here for this.

Somebody needs to tell The Creature that Paradox hasn't released that DLC yet.
Welcome Cora! I guess The Creature is not up to date on PDS' DLC policies. :D
Ah, my favorite somewhat mysterious characters return.
Glad to have you on board!
Watching here too.
Nice double entendre. :D

Chapter II – 1066 to 1104
Chapter II – 1066 to 1104

“Most curious. I wonder…”

The Creature looked up.

“What now, my friend?”

The Watcher rubbed his chin.

“England, that island nation in the north. Three kings fought for it. One captured, a bastard named William. Then the other invader, from further north, won.”

He smiled.

“This Harald Hardrada, now known as Harald the Dane, has founded a new kingdom named Danelaw.”

He laughed.

“Why is that so funny, my friend?”

The Creature arched his brow.

“This Harald is not from Denmark, merely allied to them.”

The Watcher winked.

“Hmmmm, yes that is most curious I admit.”

The Creature smirked.

“These humans of you are indeed a curious lot.”

The Watcher gasped.

“Ah, yes. Yes, they are. And now look here!”

He pointed.

“In the east, a mighty struggle between the Byzantines and the Seljuks almost resulted in a loss for the former. But now, the war is over with no lands changing hands.”

He nodded.

“It seems the leader of the Seljuks was captured and had to give in. Most interesting…”

The Creature turned.

“And would you look at that. The old ruler of the Seljuks died, and now the Seljuks are no more.”

9N1WSmg.png

He narrowed his eyes.

“The Persian Empire? I seem to remember you mentioned them last galaxy run.”

The Watcher clapped.

“Yes, indeed I did! An old people, ancient of days. They actually united the Earth and led a most impressive Space Empire in galaxy Y-19-QWS-7, dimension T-18-TRC. Ah, the memories…”

He pointed.

“And look at that. Harald the Dane died, and his realm split.”

He gasped.

“And then his heir in Danelaw died and lost to a peasant rebellion. Half of Danelaw is now the kingdom of Middle Seaxe! Most curious…”

gkEBz1F.png

Another gasp.

“And would you look at that. The grandson of William the Bastard, the losing contender, has inherited Aquitaine and Poitou, making him the most powerful vassal of the French king. Most curious…”

The Creature nodded.

“And he has allied with the king of Danelaw. I wonder how Middle Seaxe will fare.”

reYO78p.png

The Creature whistled.

“Most interesting, my friend. Care for some wine while we wait for the next move?”

• 1Like
Reactions:
I believe that @The Kingmaker will enjoy that part about England. ;)

I believe that @The Kingmaker will enjoy that part about England. ;)

Oh my, what a mess! Calling Hardrada, the most infamous Norseman, a Dane! We need some Godwinsons to come in there and clean up that mess, assuming they haven’t all been killed.

Normans running rampant in France!
Persians uniting the Middle East!
Cumans raging in the steppes!
Dogs and cats living together in sin!

Just shows how crazy the CK world can get without human intervention.

I’d say to keep up the good work, but that somehow feels trite for an observation AAR.

Keep up the good watch!

Oh my, what a mess! Calling Hardrada, the most infamous Norseman, a Dane! We need some Godwinsons to come in there and clean up that mess, assuming they haven’t all been killed.

Normans running rampant in France!
Persians uniting the Middle East!
Cumans raging in the steppes!
Dogs and cats living together in sin!

Just shows how crazy the CK world can get without human intervention.

I’d say to keep up the good work, but that somehow feels trite for an observation AAR.

Keep up the good watch!
It's quite a show so far! :D My watch is, indeed, not yet ended. :p

ALL: Please go and vote for the AARland Choice Awards (ACAs) for Q3 2020! It covers all of AARland, and we need more voters before the voting ends in merely three weeks time! :D Go here and vote: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/q3-2020-acas.1427330/

I have to say I do imagine that Paradox did the whole Danelaw thing on purpose, just to troll their Scandinavian cousins. It seems like a properly Swedish thing to do.

So denied England William turned to France - poor Capetians.

Looks fun. I'll be...watching. ;)

I have to say I do imagine that Paradox did the whole Danelaw thing on purpose, just to troll their Scandinavian cousins. It seems like a properly Swedish thing to do.

So denied England William turned to France - poor Capetians.
Haha, might very well be. :D It's quite an interesting story playing out there, we're not finished with it yet. :D
Looks fun. I'll be...watching. ;)
Welcome! :) Watch, or be watched. ;)

Chapter III – 1104 to 1140
Chapter III – 1104 to 1140

“Curious.”

The Watcher rubbed his chin.

“Denmark has conquered Norway. How the mighty have fallen.”

duECiMP.png

The Creature nodded.

“Denmark grows, and the once mighty kingdom of Norway a mere shadow of their former selves. I do wonder how long it will last, though…”

The Watcher pointed.

“Speaking of which, the kingdom of Hungary has grown a lot. They now own the kingdom of Ruthenia.”

He tsk’ed.

“No land border though. It will be hard to hold onto it.”

S5ZVBdd.png

The Creature smiled.

“Little is easy for these kingdoms, it seems. They do keep falling apart.”

He shrugged.

“It seems to be the way of these primitives. No world spanning empires, and the empires do tend to break apart.”

The Watcher clapped in glee.

“But look at that! The Byzantines keep expanding and the Persians have changed name and ruling dynasty again. I do wonder how this will unfold.”

4m9BA1j.png

The Creature seemed thoughtful.

“Yes, yes, it is interesting. The former seems to keep up better. Same dynasty, same ruler for the longest times.”

He clucked.

“And there, things happened in Danelaw again. The king was dethroned in a rebellion against his tyranny, with his son taking over.”

He sniggered.

“Only for the son to die within months and the father being back on the throne. The ways of these men…”

The Watcher winked.

“Speaking of which, the kingdom of Ruthenia got separated from Hungary due to the king’s death. A newborn, dimwitted girl took over. The new Hungarian queen conquered Ruthenia back. But.”

He held up his finger and grinned.

9geL0Ik.png

“The queen died, and her dynasty with her. The French Capets are at the helm of her kingdoms now. And Ruthenia disintegrated and is no more.”

He puffed.

“So many changes, in so little time. It is really fascinating.”

The Creature clapped his hands.

“Look at Danelaw. What a turn around. The Danish king conquered the kingdom, and now Denmark, Norway and Danelaw is one kingdom once again.”

7LVuU1D.png

The Watcher whistled.

“But for how long, I wonder.”

The Creature shrugged.

“Not long, I wager. But, friend. I do want to taste some of that Qr’uxl’an chocolate you mentioned you had got hold of. May I take a bite?”

• 3Like
Reactions:
Ouch, Ruthenia got hit hard. But the Danelaw looks nice, and so does Ireland. North Sea Empire and United Ireland when?

My goodness but Britain is a mess.

Strange for Danelaw to conquer Norway and Denmark.

I wonder if the game should give certain titles more priority. I would think Danelaw should always be a secondary title to Denmark, whenever the latter is available to the player.

Keep up the good watch!

Ouch, Ruthenia got hit hard. But the Danelaw looks nice, and so does Ireland. North Sea Empire and United Ireland when?
Who knows? One thing is sure, the adventures on the British Isles are far from over!
My goodness but Britain is a mess.
Just wait until I post the next update. :D
Strange for Danelaw to conquer Norway and Denmark.

I wonder if the game should give certain titles more priority. I would think Danelaw should always be a secondary title to Denmark, whenever the latter is available to the player.

Keep up the good watch!
It does seem like if Denmark or Norway gains England, it turns the entire realm into Danelaw...