• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really want to get the Nomads in and supported by this campaign.

Could be indeed a cool thing to do. Nomads were a favorite race

A feel for the old "Human" race of Aow 2 and shadow magic had some units potentielly mixed. I made a little list with potential units. As this game developed, I would see dreadnought class becoming a rewamp of all units except cannon to become a more "pirate" side.

While warlord, rouge could remain as the azracs/nomad background where the pitguard is the warbreed and roc rider as manticore. Necromancer unchanged.

Theocrat could have more djinn units favour the yaka side and arch druid favour the more amazon side or barbarian.

The impression of the class system is the more complicated side. My line of units where mostly a potential.

Lizardman can be something else as far as it goes.

As rocs or something, Scorpions would be cooler.

Could be indeed a cool thing to do. Nomads were a favorite race

A feel for the old "Human" race of Aow 2 and shadow magic had some units potentielly mixed. I made a little list with potential units. As this game developed, I would see dreadnought class becoming a rewamp of all units except cannon to become a more "pirate" side.

The Golem and Flame tank already swap out for some races. So that could work.

I'd leave the Flame Tank and the humanoid units seem pretty integral but could gain raiding/pirate type race specific moves. So that means mostly the Juggernaught could swap for some kind of Sandcrawler war machine and the Golem would be a specific raiding version. Ships might get a reskin and small ability swap but should be pretty close.

Piracy also gives an idea for governance options.

While warlord, rouge could remain as the azracs/nomad background where the pitguard is the warbreed and roc rider as manticore. Necromancer unchanged.

Here's the thing, the Pit Guard's role always felt a bit different than a Warbreed. I do this for the Syron Giant, but I'm not as sure for this. I suppose we can push it a bit in that direction and it if doesn't feel close enough there's always a Heritage sub-mod later.

I definitely think the Nomads need the Roc. Manticores have been Azrac and Tigran before being Warlord. The Roc was only ever a Nomad thing and it's a fairly unique unit.

Theocrat could have more djinn units favour the yaka side and arch druid favour the more amazon side or barbarian.

The impression of the class system is the more complicated side. My line of units where mostly a potential.

Sure, just remember the more we deviate from the standards the more work needs to go into art and balance. The Dreadnaught set a bit of precedent for racial swaps but I don't want to go overboard.

Lizardman can be something else as far as it goes.

As rocs or something, Scorpions would be cooler.

Again I feel the Roc really set the Nomads apart from their Azrac and Humans ancestors, and the Tigrans. The rough idea I had for a Dwelling is

Mirage Oasis (ideally spawn in non-Cold Barrens only)

Desert Cave -> Produce Scorpions, Worm Pit
Worm Pit -> Produce Sandworm
Elemental Altar -> Produce Djinn, Elemental Brazier
Elemental Brazier -> Produce Efreet
Pyramid Tomb -> Produce Mummies

Could get some support buildings and maybe a Produce Watcher option, but that's the rough idea. Basically I pooled a bunch of lost stuff that fit the Desert motif or was associated with Azracs, Tigrans or Nomads.

Also a quick idea for Nomad racial trait, the Atk/def thing come from AoW1 Azrac hero base stats and feel fairly unique but may need to be balance tweaked after testing:

Nomads
Hates: Arctic and Blighted
Cities: +5 Gold
-1 Defense
Physical Melee Damage +1
Physical Ranged Damage +1
Barrens Running
40% Fire Protection
20% Frost Weakness

Racial Governance Idea for Nomads.

Please give feedback, this is pretty rough.

Military
Nomad Mounted Units gain Raiding (as Conquer's Feast)
Nomad Barbarian gains Trap
Nomad Archer and Irregular units gain +2 Fire ranged damage
Nomad Infantry, Calvalry and Pikeman units gain +2 Fire melee damage
Nomad Support units gain Fire Halo

Economic
Nomad Builders require 45% less gold to build Watchtowers, Roads and Fortresses
Nomad Settlers cost 50% less Gold
Cities Migrate to Nomads 50% faster
Trading Posts provide +100 Population and +15 Production
Nomad Store House generates +1 Domain radius

The Military is a mix of trying to support a raiding style while not stepping on Human and Frostling toes with regards to navy and nice boosts to represent the old Azrac approach of brute force and little defense. They are designed to work well with Rogue and Warlord units but Fire Halo gives a nice option for magic classes and gives Support some of the advantage of the old Azrac priests.

Under the assumption we can't move their cities like in Shadow Magic I tried to make the Economics give them a sense of mobility and reliance on Forts and well placed cities as opposed to huge built-up ones. Trading Posts were the only basic income building lacking a RG pick so it was a natural option. They are appropriately reminiscent of Human and Tigran options I think. Their Settler discount is large but doesn't apply to population and comes in at rank 2.

The Golem and Flame tank already swap out for some races. So that could work.

Again I feel the Roc really set the Nomads apart from their Azrac and Humans ancestors, and the Tigrans. The rough idea I had for a Dwelling is

Mirage Oasis (ideally spawn in non-Cold Barrens only)

Desert Cave -> Produce Scorpions, Worm Pit
Worm Pit -> Produce Sandworm
Elemental Altar -> Produce Djinn, Elemental Brazier
Elemental Brazier -> Produce Efreet
Pyramid Tomb -> Produce Mummies

Could get some support buildings and maybe a Produce Watcher option, but that's the rough idea. Basically I pooled a bunch of lost stuff that fit the Desert motif or was associated with Azracs, Tigrans or Nomads.

Also a quick idea for Nomad racial trait, the Atk/def thing come from AoW1 Azrac hero base stats and feel fairly unique but may need to be balance tweaked after testing:

Nomads
-1 Defense
Physical Melee Damage +1
Barrens Running
40% Fire Protection
20% Frost Weakness

I believe frost weakness should be bigger like 40 %, probably shock weakness to 20 %. However, their skin would get blight resistance, probably form racial governance trait.

They can even have the "unarmored" trait on units, like traditionally as they were no shirts from previous instalments.

They can probably like temperate and dislike underground.

Military
Nomad Mounted Units gain Raiding (as Conquer's Feast)
Nomad Infantry, Calvalry and Pikeman units gain +2 Fire melee damage
Nomad Support units gain Fire Halo

I consider some skills a little redundant that some parts like 2+ fire damage should rather come from veteran ranks and experience than on racial traits. I believe some are good, but fire halo seems a little odd due to being a powerful ability on a fire specialization already. I think it would be better to have a "blood strike" with "inflict bleed" would sound much more interesting or immolation.

Economic
Nomad Builders require 45% less gold to build Watchtowers, Roads and Fortresses
Nomad Settlers cost 50% less Gold
Cities Migrate to Nomads 50% faster
Trading Posts provide +100 Population and +15 Production
Nomad Store House generates +1 Domain radius

I like some of them. They are good, but it should also be worth considering to bring in some more unique things that actually make it worth investing in economic skills. I would, for example, feel that "Volunteer" reducing units upkeep by 25 % could work better. Perhaps a bonus towards the mystical city upgrades if possible would be an interesting mechanic to revolve around traits.

However not only needs this racial governance also be applied for necromancer as they have a separate tree.

I believe frost weakness should be bigger like 40 %, probably shock weakness to 20 %. However, their skin would get blight resistance, probably form racial governance trait.

They can even have the "unarmored" trait on units, like traditionally as they were no shirts from previous instalments.

I thought of that. Part of why they have the low def. Strike fast, strike hard, don't worry about defense. That's the idea.

There's no Unarmored trait, but there is an Armored trait that none of their units will have. This also make Dreadnaught their worst class probably since it grants boosts to Armored units a lot. They do have a fair number of Mounted units to be equipped with guns though. Still doesn't seem as nice as going Warlord or Rogue.

I'm not sure they need any more weaknesses or protections. Why shock and blight anyway? I don't recall them have any interactions. I could easily work the blight boost into one of the Military RGs if needed though.

They can probably like temperate and dislike underground.

No, they can't. Races can only like features and only dislike climates. It's weird but it works I guess.

They could dislike underground and like fertile plains, but that seems like a lot of terrain modifications... it would make them different from Tigrans though. I curious what others think on that matter.

I consider some skills a little redundant that some parts like 2+ fire damage should rather come from veteran ranks and experience than on racial traits. I believe some are good, but fire halo seems a little odd due to being a powerful ability on a fire specialization already. I think it would be better to have a "blood strike" with "inflict bleed" would sound much more interesting or immolation.

I was actually thinking the opposite. That archers and such might earn bleed effects. I'll admit 3 variants of fire attack buff is probably overkill for RG though. Boring if nothing else.

As for Fire Halo, is your concern the power or the overlap? I actually think it's not quite good enough for a tier 5 on it's own and was thinking about +1 Res too. And yes, it overlaps a bit with Fire spec, but there's stuff like that everywhere. Dracionian Elders get it through level up for example. I thought it was a cool way to bring back the feel of the old Azrac priest without needing to make a specific unit. Immolation could work though, they'd just need to get Fire Res pump to max too.

The tier 4 fire boost to melee would be my first choice to drop. The rank 3 is meant to be flaming arrows and the rank 5 I've explained. Of the 3 the melee boost is one I feel is least interesting. I could see adjusting it to Inflict Bleed or Inflict Cripple or change it entirely.

I like some of them. They are good, but it should also be worth considering to bring in some more unique things that actually make it worth investing in economic skills. I would, for example, feel that "Volunteer" reducing units upkeep by 25 % could work better. Perhaps a bonus towards the mystical city upgrades if possible would be an interesting mechanic to revolve around traits.

Economic traits don't grant unit skills. If you look on Military I added Raider to be like Volunteer/Conquer's Feast.

I think the earlier discounts are pretty tempting and the Trading Post and Domain boost are nice. It's really migration that seems underwhelming since it just won't come up that much. Maybe add a slight discount to MCUs at that level too?

However not only needs this racial governance also be applied for necromancer as they have a separate tree.
That will affect the trading post one. Probably just have them get dead pop instead. I need to look into Necro more.

As for Fire Halo, is your concern the power or the overlap? I actually think it's not quite good enough for a tier 5 on it's own and was thinking about +1 Res too. And yes, it overlaps a bit with Fire spec, but there's stuff like that everywhere. Dracionian Elders get it through level up for example. I thought it was a cool way to bring back the feel of the old Azrac priest without needing to make a specific unit. Immolation could work though, they'd just need to get Fire Res pump to max too.

Immune to fire would make sense, however Azrac as a race were more fire oriented while nomads were more physical oriented. I believe a mix could potentially work, but we have two races which are more fire oriented already.

However, on other note thinking more if for example "herbalist" made it as a replacement for Apprentice as a class special unit for the sorcerer. Specifically, the only sorcerers class having a unique unit.

Immune to fire would make sense, however Azrac as a race were more fire oriented while nomads were more physical oriented. I believe a mix could potentially work, but we have two races which are more fire oriented already.

True, but that was sort of how they were in Shadow Magic. I'll tone down the fire a bit and make it less like the others.

Military
Nomad Mounted Units gain Raiding (reduce Upkeep 25% when outside own Domain (maybe just when outside city?))
Nomad Infantry, Calvalry and Pikeman units gain Inflict Bleeding Wounds
All Nomad Support units gain +40% Fire Protection and Inflict Immolation

However, on other note thinking more if for example "herbalist" made it as a replacement for Apprentice as a class special unit for the sorcerer. Specifically, the only sorcerers class having a unique unit.

Again, I don't want to go too radical for the class units. The Sorcerer relies on having Apprentices and changing the name while leaving it play the same just gets confusing. I'd rather make the more unusual unit the Racial Support than a Class Unit. They do get some customization though.

As an example, the Nomad Engineer could gain Hijack, a new ability I came up with. It's got a low success chance but lets you try to take control of a Machine unit once per fight. Fitting for both Nomads and Dreadnaught and surprisingly not in the game yet. It's still an Engineer, but it's got a unique power that fits the race. Nomad Dreadnaught still not an easy choice, but if you pick carefully I think it can work.

And some machine swaps on the Dreadnaught are fine of course. I just don't see any reason the herbalist wouldn't make a better Race unit if we lack any other ideas. Having fire immue really was the most unique thing about the old Azrac priest and SM priests were generic, so I think the herbalist could work.

I think nomad engineer with a blunderbuss and flashbang grenades feel a little out of place. However, a possible unique replacement for the blunderbuss would be cool to add something else. A flamethrower sounds on paper very interesting, but might be too much and break the balance and lore. Otherwise, the musketeer is somewhat an already odd unit itself in terms of lore so it might not hurt at all to add a new composition of weapon. Might be interesting to have them becoming marksmen or sniper to get a hang of the outlaw theme.

In general, camels would be necessary to replace all horses and make the standard rider unit overall to represent nomads cavalry and leaders

I think nomad engineer with a blunderbuss and flashbang grenades feel a little out of place. However, a possible unique replacement for the blunderbuss would be cool to add something else. A flamethrower sounds on paper very interesting, but might be too much and break the balance and lore.

Actually a flame thrower is perfect. The Flame Cannon is already something they had in SM and it would work very much like a full Fire damage Blunderbuss so they can fill more or less the same niche. This is actually a great example of what I mean by tweaking the class units without replacing them.

Otherwise, the musketeer is somewhat an already odd unit itself in terms of lore so it might not hurt at all to add a new composition of weapon. Might be interesting to have them becoming marksmen or sniper to get a hang of the outlaw theme.

If it's possible to add a trait that increases range I think that's more appropriate than a new weapon but I like the idea of snipers. A weakness of the Nomads will be physical ranged attacks (low def and no specific anti-range), so it makes sense they'd want to out range enemies.

In general, camels would be necessary to replace all horses and make the standard rider unit overall to represent nomads cavalry and leaders

I agree for leaders for sure, but I will point out that Nomads had all sorts of mounts in SM. I suppose they still have the Warlord's Horse Archers and some others, but should for example the Slaver ride a camel now? I'm stiil not sure whether Slaver or Chieftan should be the Calvary but a Slaver on a camel does sort of split the difference. At least visually.

I also thought it would be cool to have something based on the Camel of the Pearl https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Camel_of_the_Pearl for an equipable elite mount.

Graphically, should be possible to skin this and get it lined up for animations to save some time https://opengameart.org/content/camel-basemesh

Campaign had som small annoying issues with instant victories and small issues with a.i refusing to declare war and such. These ones should be fixed.

Its easy to miss some of them as they oftenly tend to be quite hidden due to small changes.

After some bug treatment I will finish the last campaign map of shadow realm mod. I had hopes of release of this campaign should have been less painful then it actually was.

On topic,

I think serveral things regarding camels could be quite unique meanwhile slavers may stay with horses. Unless special unit could be a cheftian unit or camel rider on side with Slaver unit.

I still think the Roc is biggest most impressive and unique thing and should be the tier 3.

I'm leaning towards Slaver as Calvalry. Like I said I want to do a Racial Heritage sub-mod later so they can be used together and that would be another 4 units.

"Vanilla"
Irregular: Spearman
Infantry: Barbarian
Archer: Desert Archer
Pikeman: Elephant Rider (this doesn't stat well at T1 but Goblins are the only race with a T2 Pikeman, not sure)
Calvalry ? (see below)
Support: Herbalist?
Special (Calvalry): Roc Rider

Heritage Mod
Good Tier 2 ?
Good Tier 3 Chieftan (may work better at T3 but I could drop to T2 for use as racial Calvary)
Evil Tier 2 Slaver
Evil Tier 3 Pit Guard

So whoever doesn't make the cut will get used someday. I guess that means it should be whichever you feel the campaign will need more.

Djinn are as separate race so should be kept off the base unit lists and hopefully handled via that Dwelling I mentioned or I might suggest them for something.

Speaking of race, this is the current template stats. A little more disadvantages like you asked for, which I'm fine with since that double attack boost is kind of scary even with the def loss. I have a feeling their unit stats will let them work around it and use the atk quite nicely.

Nomads
Dislikes: Subterranean
-1 Defense
Physical Melee Damage +1
Barrens Running
40% Fire Protection
40% Frost Weakness

Nomads
Dislikes: Subterranean
-1 Defense
Physical Melee Damage +1
Barrens Running
40% Fire Protection
40% Frost Weakness

I think this could work quite well.

Roq I'm quite okay with. Most likely changing the rider of the Halfling eagle rider unit and add a human rider. Most likely make it bigger in size and then make it brown. Should work as a placeholder.

I would not try to consider adding units for a secondary mod like heritage. However, units can still be added and then hold themselves as neutral units. Non-crucial units. Mostly how the Goblin Skewer turned out as a weak T1 unit, but not part of the goblin race line up.

As far as the campaign goes, there are several paths pointing towards discovering the legacy of the Azracs, especially discovering the whereabouts trails of restoring their race. My initial thought was to make a specialization applied for some of the classes replacing some of the standard human line up of units.

A full race is probably a more interesting consideration in the long run than a race-specific specialization.

Roq I'm quite okay with. Most likely changing the rider of the Halfling eagle rider unit and add a human rider. Most likely make it bigger in size and then make it brown. Should work as a placeholder.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

I would not try to consider adding units for a secondary mod like heritage. However, units can still be added and then hold themselves as neutral units. Non-crucial units. Mostly how the Goblin Skewer turned out as a weak T1 unit, but not part of the goblin race line up.

That's why I suggested picking the one you want for the campaign, so the base mod can have what you need.

I'll need a Racial Heritage mod component later anyway since I play with that mod a lot and it wouldn't work for one race to be lacking. I may look at Shadow Elves at some point too. But these would be separate mods at a later date.

I can certainly throw in some extra units if you need, I just want these guys to work with my favorite mods in the end.

As far as the campaign goes, there are several paths pointing towards discovering the legacy of the Azracs, especially discovering the whereabouts trails of restoring their race. My initial thought was to make a specialization applied for some of the classes replacing some of the standard human line up of units.

I definitely like a race better. A specialization for only one race seems very odd and doing all the rest is too much and unneeded.

Regarding class units, I think some of them can be improved for a nomad race.

Necromancer units
Reanimator gains immolation and 1 - on defence + Replace frost veteran ranks with physical damage/or fire damage.
Death bringer replaces veteran ranks with fire instead of blight.

Arch Druid units

Hunter gain armour piercing
Shaman + 3+ health and 1+ ranged strength

Sorcerer
Apprentice gain mind control immunity and martial arts

Dreadnought

Engineer replace ranged weapon with a flamethrower. It should reach at least 2 hexes forward and spread 2 hexes 14 fire damage and 2 physical.
Musketeer gain "improvised scope" trait with increased on 1+ range

Golem gain overwhelm

I would also like to increase trebuchets damage to 20 + physical and 10+ fire damage and replace "Hurl boulder" with "Hurl fire boulder" and replace crippling wounds with "inflict immolation" on gold rank.

Warlord
Berserker gain armour piercing
Mounted Archer gains fire arrows

Rogue
Scoundrel gain razor projectiles
Assassin gain fire weapons 5+ fire damage and -4 physical damage

Theocrat

Martyr gains firebomb and gains 1+ fire instead of 1+ spirit each rank

I assume the Martyr gets Firebomb instead of Stones.

That all sounds pretty in line with the existing tweaks. The trebuchets is the most unusual and I think it's pretty justifiable.

Edit: On second look a few thoughts...

The Shaman boost just seems a bit odd when compared to other races. Not very flavorful and I don't see why they'd have more health.

Nomad Horse Archers in Shadow Magic had physical damage, so I'd like to give them something else and move that to the Monster Hunter. They can still get some from Racial Governance.

Also Reanimatiors Inflict Immolation would be redudant with a Racial Governance... if you want that, that's fine, but Inflict Scorching Heat might be better for their standard bonus.

Last edited:
Its sort of, when comparing with other races then bonus that some seems reasonable at first, may not be so well thought in a bigger picture :)

Reanimators should most likely have scorsing heat than immolation. For sure.

I think it would be interestesting to consider sprint abilities for more class units. Speed and attack damage can go quite well

I'll try and see about who could get sprint. Here's some ideas for the others

Shaman Gains Guardian Flame

Evangelist Cost: 160/40 , Gains Fire Bolts. Medals Replaces +1 Melee damage with +1 Ranged Fire damage.

Succubus Cost: 175 Gold 30 Mana, Gains Strangle (similar to as it was for SM's Pit Guard)

Manticore Gains Whirlwind (similar to as it was for SM's Djinn)

Warbreed Gains Mind Control Immunity

Last edited:
I'll try and see about who could get sprint. Here's some ideas for the others

Shaman Gains Guardian Flame

Evangelist Cost: 160/40 , Gains Fire Bolts. Medals Replaces +1 Melee damage with +1 Ranged Fire damage.

Succubus Cost: 175 Gold 30 Mana, Gains Strangle (similar to as it was for SM's Pit Guard)

Manticore Gains Whirlwind (similar to as it was for SM's Djinn)

Warbreed Gains Mind Control Immunity

I think its a good. I started to think about some of the more vanilla units that a possible "whip" weapon could be interesting to have on the "irregullar". A super weak weapon to inflict bleed or poison. Possible tame chance on animal units. An interesting thought of the slave background. Not as Main weapon, but rather as a secondary ability after throw spere

I will problably conclude a more overview post later as Im on a long vacation and cellphone writing does not offer a good experience.

I've actually got a spreadsheet with the most recent idea for each concept. Would love to get more feedback...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BufgT-J0RYVgdEcGuTMKegHUMI0L0aBpI8ehN4gqfoI/edit?usp=sharing

I think it looks great so far. However, Spearman (Irregular) Should have "throw spear". I even believe it could have a throwable spear that is piercing through three hexes. It should not be too strong, but 6-7 physical damage per throw and on 1+ cooldown as a unique ability.

Barbarian should have "wall climbing on medal"

Herbalist needs, poison strike, poison bolts. Throw herbs could be a new ability with the same function as a nourishing meal and cure disease.

I have one idea for the "Cadaver" to replace it with a mummy. Would be interesting to have a unique unit somewhere along the necromance route.