• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can you not use the function(fn) key+f12? thats how I have to take all my screenshots with my laptop.

Also, really enjoy the ARR, even though I've barely played HOI and don't understand the finer points of the mechanics (or the less fine points for that matter) it's still engaging.

That seemed to have worked. Thanks! :D

e4b9f77f-e004-4e60-9bf1-8c6130dc2257_zpsa836d1e9.jpg

Okay, details of the map:

1. Yes I control all of French Africa. I got it when I was forced into annexing Vichy, and due to lack of cores (any cores) I can't release it as the myriad of nations that currently make that territory up, or give it back to France. So Swedish Africa is a thing in this timeline :p

2. That little lighter blue bit in Swedish Africa is the American enclave where they pushed through Vichy territory during that short-lived war. At least ten+ divisions (that I can see on the border) are just sitting there.

3. France still has real problems with rebels.

4. Madagascar, Tunis, Algeria, and Morocco were all released since Sweden doesn't have real colonial ambitions (I really would ditch Swedish Africa if I could). They're not much use in a war (Madagascar doesn't even have an army), but at least its less territory for me to police.

5. Turkey and Hungary on on their last legs, while Romania has already been 'liberated' by the Red Tide. Japan is holding on in Siberia, but that's only going to last as long as it takes the Americans to get their war machine rolling.

6. North/South America haven't seen any change.

7. Independent Iceland.

8. All of the New Swedish Empire has been released with the exception of Germany/Austria. I'm still debating if Austria will remain part of Germany (all three Germanies (Third Reich, Federal Republic, Democratic Republic) have cores on Austria. In any case, I'm holding onto Germany/Greater Germany for some time (at least until I hit Major Power status, for the sweet, sweet Leadership). Probably longer to represent reconstruction/making sure there aren't lingering Nazi's in power (IRL West/East Germany weren't formed until '49 after all).

9. The former Yugoslav territory currently is: Slovenia (only Yugoslavia had cores on the territory), Greater Croatia (will be explained in update), Montenegro (same issue as Slovenia) and Serbia.

If there are any other questions, I'll answer as best I can without spoiling things before I update again (either later tonight or tomorrow).

What happened with India and Turkey? Guessing that India got it's independence, but did the SU just give up while attacking Turkey?

In the mod I'm using (HPP) India is a Colony, but isn't part of Britain-proper (thus, it is its own country).

As for Turkey, the world map doesn't seem to show occupied territory as any different from regular territory. Turkey is still at war with the Sovs, the red bit is what they have taken so far.

You got really lucky with Germany there. Any later and you might lose your entire expeditionary force. With regards to its fate, it's really hard to say what you should do. Perhaps you could split Austria from Germany, give Poland their Piast-era lands and Prussia, if possible, while reclaiming a few German ports for 'defensive purposes'. :p

720px-LocationSwedishEmpire.png

I would have held onto Morocco for Gibraltar adjacency but that's just me. I don't know about those ports across Northern Germany; I don't know that that would be good Role-Playing. I prefer the Swedish Occupation Zone idea myself - getting rid of Nazis, helping rebuild the country, and then releasing it. I just don't see Sweden seizing European land as a war victor - that attitude led to WW2 in the first place (from WW1), which is why it DIDN'T happen in real life at the end of WW2.

BUT colonies (Africa, Middle East, SE Asia etc.) are different

You got really lucky with Germany there. Any later and you might lose your entire expeditionary force. With regards to its fate, it's really hard to say what you should do. Perhaps you could split Austria from Germany, give Poland their Piast-era lands and Prussia, if possible, while reclaiming a few German ports for 'defensive purposes'. :p

Lucky would probably be an understatement :p

I won't be keeping any German territory though...not even 'Swedish' Pomerania. All of the territory I could theoretically claim has been part of 'Germany' (or Prussia...or the North German Federation) long enough that it would just be a hotbed of revolts. That, and I can't see Sweden holding onto German territory beyond the 'Occupation Zone'.

I would have held onto Morocco for Gibraltar adjacency but that's just me. I don't know about those ports across Northern Germany; I don't know that that would be good Role-Playing. I prefer the Swedish Occupation Zone idea myself - getting rid of Nazis, helping rebuild the country, and then releasing it. I just don't see Sweden seizing European land as a war victor - that attitude led to WW2 in the first place (from WW1), which is why it DIDN'T happen in real life at the end of WW2.

BUT colonies (Africa, Middle East, SE Asia etc.) are different

From a gameplay perspective, Morocco would have been useful to hold onto, yes. From an in-story standpoint, I couldn't justify it without also holding on to Algeria and Tunisia (can you imagine how much of a hotbed a 'colonial' Morocco would be if its neighbors were set free?)

That being said, all the North African states (and Madagascar) are still puppets. So I can easily station troops there if I really wanted to, to keep an eye on the Spaniards. Britain and I are best buddies, so I'm not worried about them.

Currently working on the update...should be up within a couple hours I think.

EDIT: Okay, photobucket is doing maintenance. So it may be delayed. We'll see how long it takes before I can get access to my screens again.

Last edited:
We can call Swedish Africa a UN mandate.

Oh please no, the last couple of UN Mandates after certain world wars didn't end well for the mandated power or the people of the region! :p

Sweden is now on the front lines against the expansion of Stalinism! :cool:

Let's try this again...

7b6c2382-1b9d-482c-83c0-3d37c4e1ede4_zps0927ff65.jpg

Warriors of the North said:
Chapter 8: Rebuilding

04ef5e27-93b8-4615-910c-70906c8c3785_zpsc6306a4c.jpg

With the Swedish Occupation Zone being established in Germany/Austria, work was needed to improve the Swedish Intelligence Service. The service had traditionally been the weakest of the Swedish agencies...the nation choosing to rely on her allies to provide the information they needed on the world. That had all changed with the UN Intervention (more commonly called the War of Liberation). If it had not been for Swedish Intelligence, the UN would not have known of how weak and (relatively) undefended Germany truly was. If it hadn't been for the brave spies, Europe would still be under the Nazi yoke...instead of being rebuilt by the UN Security Forces.

Because of this, money was put forth from the expansive Swedish treasury to fund an increase in the number of spies, and the number of cells worldwide. The Soviet Union and Japan were the largest by far, both nations seen as the biggest threat to global stability (Italy was too preoccupied with Britain, and had lost most of its navy in any case. Bulgaria and Spain were far too weak). Because of this, the Intelligence cells in both states were drastically expanded, especially as Soviet forces crept ever closer to the Swedish troops garrisoning the Polish, Hungarian, and Romanian borders.

7217f646-57a8-4583-a9e1-0e427a88ec61_zps1fb007e5.jpg

While the Intelligence service performed their duties and was expanded, the first nations of occupied Europe had their governments restored to power. These two states were Denmark and Czechoslovakia. While any number of nations could have been restored from the Nazi occupied territories, there were simple reasons why these two were chosen first. Denmark for the fact that it was relatively untouched during the occupations and resultant War of Liberation. Czechoslovakia, alternatively, for the fact they were the first victim of Hitler's regime (Austria was generally seen as a willing participant), not to mention the bravery of the Volunteer Division.

While work continued in the other occupied states to get them back in condition for the government and local authorities to regain control, the independence of Denmark meant Sweden lost exclusive control over the strait into the Baltic. A small price to pay in the long run.

c12d1b9a-fdce-4b75-a477-13ff314cd9ed_zps66ac148b.jpg

The newly reestablished Czech government was quite willing to enter the Nordic League (by now, more well known as the New Entente in most circles). Sweden had been the only nation to stand by the old government during the dark days after Munich, so the Czechoslovaks had no issues with allying with the Swedes. Especially once the volunteers returned home after so many years in exile. These men spoke highly of the Swedes they had served with, and that was a key impact on the Czech government.

That, and the looming fact that Hungary could only last so long against the Red Tide. When (not if, when) Horthy fell, the Czechoslovaks knew they would be on the frontline should Stalin decide he wasn't satisfied with spreading the Revolution to the remaining minor states in the Axis. Allying with Sweden provided something of a safety net, as the nation was seen as one of the most powerful in the world due to their triumphs in recent years.

4ed83b92-665f-4a4e-8da6-4c9f168f0300_zps2cd50528.jpg

In fact, for the first time in centuries, Sweden was legitimately seen around the world as a Major Power. The Swedish military was still small compared to the swarms of men Russia could throw at her enemies, but the troops were highly skilled and perhaps the best-equipped in the world. In addition, while they still lacked the ability to produce carriers or battleships, the Swedish Navy was expanding with highly-advanced cruisers, believed to be sufficient to cover the Baltic.

Overall, while few in number, the Swedish troops were the envy of the world.

81ef8d78-3acf-402e-82ce-d87dd2ceb091_zpsd324f81e.jpg

A reminder came from the Balkans however...a reminder that while they were powerful, Sweden and her UN allies were still not the strongest nation(s) in Europe. Romania had fought harder than anyone could have reasonably expected to keep the Soviets out of their nation after Germany fell...but the tides of Soviet men were seemingly inexhaustible. The Russians pushed the Romanians and their Hungarian allies back to the Hungarian border, taking Ploiești and Bucharest. The Romanians fought on despite this, bleeding the Soviets for every inch of land.

The end-result was perhaps inevitable however. Despite vigorous UN protests for both sides to end the war, the Soviets continued to fight. The Romanian government was receptive and likely would have bowed out if it had been their choice...but Stalin was never known as a lenient man. Hungary, Romania and Turkey had joined with the hated Nazi's to invade Mother Russia...and for that, they would pay. Thus, while Swedish troops in Serbia watched across the border, Romania officially surrendered to the USSR. A communist puppet government was installed, as Soviet and Romanian troops captured what few Hungarians were in the nation after attempting to defend it.

5e63f412-911b-462e-a62a-e4b8377a05b7_zps42d6a606.jpg

Only one nation in the Balkans remained neutral (albeit technically at war with America)...Bulgaria. While Tsar Boris' government was not the most free or lenient in the world, at least it had stayed out of the European wars. Now, as the Romania/Bulgaria border was garrisoned by masses of Soviet men and material, it became clear that the last 'neutral' Balkans nation was quickly becoming isolated. Italy would be unable to protect them in the event that Stalin chose to 'export the Revolution'. Greece wouldn't help, and both Turkey and Hungary were near defeat themselves. Should those nations fall, all that remained in the Balkans would be the Swedish Occupation Zone (currently in the process of being handed over to local authorities), a borderline hostile Greece, and Communist controlled Romania and Turkey.

The UN Security Council debated long and hard on what to do in this situation. While Boris held on to the crumbling Axis and was resistant to leaving it, that didn't mean leaving Bulgaria to the not-so-gentle care of Comrade Stalin was a preferable option. And few doubted that if Bulgaria was left alone, that it would stand alone. Thus, Sweden sent a simple message to Moscow...Gustaf would guarantee the independence of his fellow Monarch. If Stalin attacked Bulgaria, he would be attacking the UN. A marked decrease was seen in the amount of Soviets along the border in Romania...and a collective sigh of relief came from the war-weary UN.

8e4c06e1-01e4-496d-9174-ff015dfe51a6_zps0d6566ed.jpg

With one crisis averted, the UN authorities began handing over control to the native governments and pulling out of occupied Europe, with the exception of Greater Germany, where significant work would need to be done to clear out Nazis (General Rommel proved a welcome supporter in this endeavor due to his popularity amongst the German people). While Czechoslovakia and Denmark were released first, they were by no means the only nations Sweden restored to their proper governments (albeit with some heavy influence from the ruling Social Democrats).

First was Poland, given parts of Germany and East Prussia as reparations for the damages Hitler had done to the nation. There was some serious risk in doing so, considering Danzig had been the flashpoint for the Second Great War. Because of this, the UN made it very clear to the Polish Government, that Danzig would be a fully free city, in addition to giving the eventual German government rights to maintain neutral traffic between what remained of East Prussia, and Germany-proper. While the Poles publicly complained of these conditions, privately the new Scandinavian-style government agreed to all the conditions...they had no desire for a revanchist Germany on their border once more, not when Stalin still held so much Polish territory...and could possibly have dreams of taking the rest of the nation to continue restoring the Russian Empire.

Belgium and the Netherlands were restored at the same time, as both of their governments had escaped more or less intact from the German occupation. The UN was unable to restore all their former territory however. The Belgian Congo was currently a warzone as the Italians held onto the the territory that had been given to them during the Great Betrayal. And the Dutch East Indies had been under Japanese control...though the natives had staged a large-scale revolt while Japan was busy in Siberia, declaring a new nation of Indonesia. It was doubtful that either nation would regain their colonies, something that lead to some serious discontent...though there was little that could be done about it.

The Balkan States were the final nations, and it was here that Sweden encountered difficulties. Yugoslavia would never work...there were too many ethnic issues in the area for a Pan-Slavic state to survive long, especially as it would almost certainly become dominated by the Serbians once more. Because of this, the Yugoslav territories were split into their constituent pieces. Serbia regained independence, roughly along its pre-Great War borders. Montenegro also was restored, the small Kingdom returning to its former holdings. Slovenia was a new nation, sitting astride the border between Italy and Austria.

However, one nation was a true compromise in the vein of Yugoslavia itself.

Bosnia-Croatia_zpsd9eff500.jpg

I made the flag myself. I couldn't get quite the right shades of red/blue, so if the center seems off, that's why.

The Independent State of Croatia, a German puppet with an Italian monarch, would never have survived long. However, the idea of a Greater Croatia had some serious traction in the UN, with the knowledge that splitting Yugoslavia too far would leave a spread of weak nations that could never stand up to Soviet-controlled Hungary/Romania. While there were good arguments for an independent Bosnia, the problems with that were simple...Montenegro and Slovenia were already weak nations. The Serbs could only do so much...and splitting the State of Croatia into a majority-Croat state and a majority-Bosnian state would leave them both unable to properly defend themselves. The problem came from the fact that Greater Croatia, or the Independent State, would cause ethnic tensions with the Bosnians, who would have valid reasons for seeing themselves as second-class citizens in such a nation.

Armed with this knowledge, a compromise was decided upon. With Slovenia independent, the rest of the Independent State of Croatia would be reformed into the Kingdom of Bosnia-Croatia. Both Bosnians and Croats would be equally represented (at least in theory) in this new nation, giving the combined states the economy and manpower to provide (with the Serbs) a strong front in the Balkans, and protect the weaker states (Slovenia and Montenegro).

There was an inbuilt plebiscite system to poll the Bosnians and Croats after a decade of joint rule on if they wanted to split into separate nations, but for now, the Kingdom would be a bulwark against aggression in the Balkans.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

I thought long and hard on what to do with Bosnia. While I realize this experimental Kingdom is likely as not to fall apart when it hits that decade mark, right now I need a stronger front in the Balkans if the Soviets decide to go hostile. And splitting Bosnia and Croatia would just leave the two of them too weak to provide much (even united its only something like 12 brigades upon release, and I have no idea what they may, or may not, be building).

I also realize that the modern Bosnia and Herzegovina Coat of Arms is wrong for the time period. I just like it :p

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
There's quite some rebellion in France, any idea where that comes from?

Likely leftovers from the Vichy rebellion, altough I've noticed that dissent sometimes skyrockets for new puppets/restored governments to ridiculous values like 300 or so. "debugfow" and revolt risk mapmode is the way to detect this!

There's quite some rebellion in France, any idea where that comes from?

Nope. France periodically goes through periods of large revolts, and periods of peace. The Netherlands though...where I currently am, quite literally three-quarters of the country is overrun by rebels. Current theory is it has something to do with the fact that all the countries released (aside from the Balkans and Czechs) are still governments-in-exile, somehow (when I mouse over the surrender progress, it still says '*country* is a government in exile'). Oddly, the Belgians and Danes never had any revolters, and Poland only had one big wave, and once it was crushed haven't had issues since. So I really don't know.

Germans wanting to return to the Reich?

No, that's all the revolts I have to deal with :p

Likely leftovers from the Vichy rebellion, altough I've noticed that dissent sometimes skyrockets for new puppets/restored governments to ridiculous values like 300 or so. "debugfow" and revolt risk mapmode is the way to detect this!

Dissent is also a possibility. I haven't loaded up as the countries having issues with revolts, so I don't know for sure though.

The Poor Balkans, the one part of Europe that everyone else just looks at with a glare! :glare:

I actually really like the flag of Croatia-Bosnia, even with the off shading coloring. There's just something cool about a flag with two coat of arms on it!

wow that epilogue!
never you should underestimate Sweden!

Never underestimate the Swedes :p

The Poor Balkans, the one part of Europe that everyone else just looks at with a glare! :glare:

I actually really like the flag of Croatia-Bosnia, even with the off shading coloring. There's just something cool about a flag with two coat of arms on it!

Glad you like the flag! :D

Quick question: If World War 3 gets kicked off (it won't be me, but if the USA and USSR decide they want to kill each other for instance), should I mod the end-date (I've already played through to the start of '47...right now, I'm trying to finish the game tonight) to observe the war and maybe jump in...or should I just look at how the war is going, and make up an ending for the epilogue?

The latter is more likely as I have no clue how to mod the end-date file.

Side-note: For those wondering why I refuse to fight the Sovs...

1500+ brigades
5 CVs with 4 more almost complete
3 BBs
6 CLs with 7 more being built
Air Force so big it could swat mine from the sky with shear numbers.

Granted, my planes are more advanced and the CVs/BBs are both tech 1. That's still enough to own the Swedish military in the event of a war.

Last edited:
You should do an epilogue, imo. Your AAR has been great, and having taken 5 years to finally (almost anyways, 2 more updates until the end) to finish one of my AARs (The Presidents), being able to finish an AAR and be happy about it is always a great feeling.

Plus, you can always go a little more in-depth with your epilogue if you like, using your imagination to write updates about the prospects of Sweden in WW3 (presumably aligned more with the Western powers than with the USSR)... who knows, maybe in this way you can complete with Carolus Rex never managed to do! :cool: You've made me want to re-read the section of Sweden's contributions in The Third World War, by Gen. John Hackett which I think I may have mentioned a long way back.

But, you're the author so the final decision is yours!

How's this? Feel free to use it as you please, I made it in maybe five minutes, it's an old hobby of mine. Enjoy! :)
Yugo.png

You should do an epilogue, imo. Your AAR has been great, and having taken 5 years to finally (almost anyways, 2 more updates until the end) to finish one of my AARs (The Presidents), being able to finish an AAR and be happy about it is always a great feeling.

Plus, you can always go a little more in-depth with your epilogue if you like, using your imagination to write updates about the prospects of Sweden in WW3 (presumably aligned more with the Western powers than with the USSR)... who knows, maybe in this way you can complete with Carolus Rex never managed to do! :cool: You've made me want to re-read the section of Sweden's contributions in The Third World War, by Gen. John Hackett which I think I may have mentioned a long way back.

But, you're the author so the final decision is yours!

Good points. I'm already leaning epilogue myself, but since its still a few more updates off (depending on how much I want to condense '45, '46, '47 and '48), we'll see how things go I guess. :p

How's this? Feel free to use it as you please, I made it in maybe five minutes, it's an old hobby of mine. Enjoy! :)
View attachment 108348

Now that's a nice flag!

Last edited:
Last edited: