• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've never played the Victoria games before but I'm definitely interested in joining with this one,

How devastating were the wars in the previous games? are there civilian casualties or only soldiers like Hearts of Iron and EU?

If so are there issues like starvation when supply chains get broken due to a long war or enemy occupation of vital food regions or do pops just rebel or migrate?
There were no "direct" civilian casualties in V2. Soldiers are created by promotion/demotion from your other pops, and can promote/demote into them again. so every lost soldier is an actual unit of population that needs to be replaced by another worker, IF they can be enticed to convert, or else your armies remain short-handed. Your mobilized reserves, on the other hand, are pulled directly from your working pops, and any casualties suffered by those reserve units will mean one less worker in that pop when they demobilize.

Starvation was not represented directly, but a province under occupation would see its factories unable to operate effectively, leading to mass unemployment, demotion into lower pops, and emigration to other provinces or countries, particularly if the occupation continued for a prolonged period. There are likely to be occasional revolts as well as war exhaustion sets in, where the rebels take casualties directly from the pops they came from.

A long, bloody war can devastate the civilian population and economy, even without direct civilian casualties. In one Prussia/NGF/Germany game, France repeatedly declared war on me to recover lost territory. In each war, I surrounded and destroyed half a million to a million soldiers, and by the end of the 4th war (in which I took one more region each time), their population was reduced in their remaining continental provinces to the point where they couldn't field another army for the 5th war without bringing in several hundred thousand troops from Africa. It also trashed their economy to the extent that they fell out of Great Power status for several years, largely due to the lack of craftsmen after having several million reservists annihilated.

Embargos are extremely limited in effectiveness in V2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One thing neither HOI IV or Victoria II simulated well was POWs. If you surround and eliminate an army, or cause it to disband due to lack of supply, then there should be a substantial body of POWs. There should also be ones from routs and 'deaths' during the pursuit phase. These should go back into the population after the war is over.

Reactions:
One thing neither HOI IV or Victoria II simulated well was POWs. If you surround and eliminate an army, or cause it to disband due to lack of supply, then there should be a substantial body of POWs. There should also be ones from routs and 'deaths' during the pursuit phase. These should go back into the population after the war is over.
The problem is most prisoners didn’t actively stay in one place. Do you have Pow exchanges And escapees and all sorts of stuff. It’ll be really tough to simulate that kind of thing without it being a distraction to the main game

The problem is most prisoners didn’t actively stay in one place. Do you have Pow exchanges And escapees and all sorts of stuff. It’ll be really tough to simulate that kind of thing without it being a distraction to the main game
Eh... KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) might apply here. Accumulate POWs over the course of the conflict from a variety of sources (routs, surrenders, etc.), have a very small trickle of escapees, and then the war ends and everyone goes home. I'm not looking for it to be a complete model, I just think it being present is an improvement to some kind of horrific off-screen massacre happening every time an army capitulates.

There seems to be a rough consensus here in favour of keeping the game mechanics flexible enough to allow for any kind of war, but having realistic consequences to those wars - i.e. having wars be expensive in terms of lives and materiel; making conquered territory difficult to swallow.

I quite like this, and I hope it's not too abstracted away in Victoria 3. I would much prefer having to deal with a bunch of very angry pops (for organic reasons - they're broke, starving, hate your government, want to go back to living in {former_country}, etc), to having some EU4-style "Unrest" or CK3-style "Control" tickers per province / state to throw abstract points at.

Reactions:
I hope we do not model the war/diplomacy system after the most singular event of the game's time period.
victoria 3 should result in such a great war between the great powers - and of course it should be technically feasible to conclude the peace of versailles in exactly the same way.