• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As Gorgo Primus said, the Germans wanted to create a puppet out of Congress Poland, they never had any intention of giving lands to Poland, rather they wanted to annex parts of Congress Poland for future German colonization.

What I meant was, that is what keeps happening, when Poland is granted indepencance with the Mittleeuropa events, Poland gets the corridor. (which I feel does not make much sense.

What I meant was, that is what keeps happening, when Poland is granted indepencance with the Mittleeuropa events, Poland gets the corridor. (which I feel does not make much sense.

I noticed the same thing, but i didn't notice the event that recified that transition, it gave the corridor back tp Germany soon after.

Regarding the Polish corridor, upon the first creation of Poland by Germany, they indeed receive those provinces, however, they are given back relatively quickly by event. Although I might see if it's possible to make a work around it in the revolt.txt.

Dimmimar, unfortunately the French/German AI issue is known and there has been no fix for it yet. However, it's also dependent who the war is developing in the East. It's difficult to say where the problem lays, as I did see the French fight the Germans until 1920 in some test games. My best assumption is that the Eastern Front has a great influence on this. In most games where France lasted long, Russia never made a substantial push into Austria, and if they did, Germany/France would peace out earlier. But finding a balance is difficult.

I'll have a closer look at the Turkish event sequence, as I've experienced similar things. I did rework the Austrian surrender events, as Austria collapsed to easily, due to only 25% of territory occupied, which Russia seems to be capable of doing and the capital is very prone to rebels.

All Germany really wanted in the west was Belgium and Luxenburg. (With the French getting their economy tied into the German one.)

It depends on which year you take for the war aims. Their war aims in 1914 were very different from the ones in 1917 (although Belgium would still be part of the German Empire either direct or indirect). IIRC the Germans also wanted to gain the ore mines in northern France for Germany's industry. In either way, German gains have been seriously toned down (ie no longer will they gain all French colonies in Africa)

It depends on which year you take for the war aims. Their war aims in 1914 were very different from the ones in 1917 (although Belgium would still be part of the German Empire either direct or indirect). IIRC the Germans also wanted to gain the ore mines in northern France for Germany's industry. In either way, German gains have been seriously toned down (ie no longer will they gain all French colonies in Africa)
Briey was suggested fairly early, IIRC- rich mines, right on the German-French border, part of a region that had been German, once (Lorraine)...
Actually, their initial idea for Belgium was to apologize and pay reparations (Mitteleuropa would come naturally anyhow, or so the thinking went), maybe even give them French Flandern, but (except for the 'French Flandern' bit) that fell away as soon as Schlieffen failed and Belgium didn't take a 'be occupied, but be neutral' option.
Hm. As far as I know, the idea of directly annexing all of Belgium was never seriously considered- even the most fervent expansionists weren't all that keen on Wallonia, excepting Liege and Belgian Luxembourg.

Of course, an early victory would be a wierd victory in the East as well- one initial idea for Poland was that it'd be a Habsburg puppet, maybe even a third Monarchy within the Habsburg Empire.

Schlieffen never really failed because it was never really fallowed. The plan called for 90% of the army to go and to not stop for anything. The Kaiser instead only sent 60 and then later toned it down to 40 because he didn't like the part of the plan that let the Russians overrun the territories in the east. In addition he altered the routes taken and let the troops stop to fight partisans who cropped up.

There should be an event choice to let you choose how you want to do the invasion. Weather you want to do the historical bungle that failed, the full thing as written, or a standard plan like the Austrians did.

There were several reasons why the Schlieffen Plan failed and not much had to do with the Kaiser, IIRC. The Germans underestimated the Belgian resistance, the forts and cities weren't so easily taken, the BEF, which had put up a brave fight near Mons, IIRC. And most importantly the Russian mobilization went quicker as the Germans had thought. In Eastern Prussia ground was lost at an alarming rate, even though it might not have posed a real threat at the time, it was sufficient for the Germans to pull some divisions from France to Russia.

Of course, an early victory would be a wierd victory in the East as well- one initial idea for Poland was that it'd be a Habsburg puppet, maybe even a third Monarchy within the Habsburg Empire.

That sounds interesting, do you happen to have a link or something where I could read more about that?

That sounds interesting, do you happen to have a link or something where I could read more about that?

Here you go; taken from wikipedia:

The declaration of both emperors allowed the creation of the Regency Council (Polish: Rada Regencyjna) which was given limited administration on territories taken by Germany and was to elect a new monarch. One early candidate was the Austrian Archduke Charles Stephen (Polish: Karol Stefan), whose two daughters were married to Polish aristocrats: prince Olgierd Czartoryski and Hieronim Radziwiłł, who spoke fluent Polish who resided in Żywiec in Galicia. The Archduke was more than willing to accept the crown, but as a member of Imperial House of Austria he needed a permission from the head of the family, Emperor and King Charles I, who hesitated, having himself planned to assume the Polish Crown. As the war progressed and Austro-Hungary became more and more dominated by German Empire, the chances of Austrian candidates fell, and Germany demanded that one of its princes rules over the future puppet state.

Another reason for the failure of the Schlieffen plan (and the Russian deafeat at Tannenberg) was the fact that most nations were oblivious to the fact that the enemy could listen to their radio transmissions. When the enemy knows your weak spots, don't be surprised if he attacks them.;)

I have played Germany three or four times now and always moved troops away from the left flank, only leaving 4 divisions to guard the forts not 16, and reenforced the right flank. What really determines the speed of your advance in France after taking Paris is your manpower growth. But usually France fell before Italy decided to join the war via event, only to peace out via event, because France had fallen.:rolleyes::p

In one game though France decided to fight on and for whatever reason (maybe to much of my colonies had fallen to the British) the second French surrender event did not fire even after I had conquered all of (European) France. They spammed me with peace offers instead.:mad:

The AI is usally surprisingly good although France sometimes leaves Verdun empty to fight my reft flank - not too smart an idea.;) Another oddity is when you manage to sink the British Home Fleet defending the Home Islands they keep the rest of their fleet wherever it is (preumably the Mediterianian). So after a few very hard fought sea battles, you can land your veteran troops on the Home Islands and capture them without encountering more than small and easy to defeat small flotillas, even though the Royal Navy has still more ships than Germany.:(

There are still some things puzzling me:
-Why doesn't Germany release Crimea as part of Mitteleuropa? It seems strange that every peace of land taken away from Russia is given away to satellites except this one.
-What are the sleep_party commands in event 28528 (The Central Powers Win the Great War) supposed to do? After the event triggers the old parties are still around.:confused:

You have created a truly great mod, keep it up!.:)

Another reason for the failure of the Schlieffen plan (and the Russian deafeat at Tannenberg) was the fact that most nations were oblivious to the fact that the enemy could listen to their radio transmissions. When the enemy knows your weak spots, don't be surprised if he attacks them.;)

I have played Germany three or four times now and always moved troops away from the left flank, only leaving 4 divisions to guard the forts not 16, and reenforced the right flank. What really determines the speed of your advance in France after taking Paris is your manpower growth. But usually France fell before Italy decided to join the war via event, only to peace out via event, because France had fallen.:rolleyes::p

It seems Italy has 2 chances to join the war (one if France has been knocked out), but only 1 surrender event which requires France to have been knocked out already.

In one game though France decided to fight on and for whatever reason (maybe to much of my colonies had fallen to the British) the second French surrender event did not fire even after I had conquered all of (European) France. They spammed me with peace offers instead.:mad:

I checked the events, and if you opt for an early peace, it will sleep the second event. Will fix that for the next release.

The AI is usally surprisingly good although France sometimes leaves Verdun empty to fight my reft flank - not too smart an idea.;) Another oddity is when you manage to sink the British Home Fleet defending the Home Islands they keep the rest of their fleet wherever it is (preumably the Mediterianian). So after a few very hard fought sea battles, you can land your veteran troops on the Home Islands and capture them without encountering more than small and easy to defeat small flotillas, even though the Royal Navy has still more ships than Germany.:(

I'll slightly tweak the British AI to make sure they keep some more fleets in the North Sea. As for the French, if you played as Germany and have withdrawn troops from Alsace, they might have seen it as a good chance to try and take those province and failed in the process.

There are still some things puzzling me:
-Why doesn't Germany release Crimea as part of Mitteleuropa? It seems strange that every peace of land taken away from Russia is given away to satellites except this one.
-What are the sleep_party commands in event 28528 (The Central Powers Win the Great War) supposed to do? After the event triggers the old parties are still around.:confused:

You have created a truly great mod, keep it up!.:)

-The reason why Crimea is given to Germany as it was part of the Brest-Litovsk terms. However, I can't find of anything that suggests a puppet state for them. And the AI won't hold on to it for too long, and a human can make it a satellite by himself if they wish.
- Did the military stances of the parties change? I've copied the German parties and changed their military policies to either anti-military or pacifism, to prevent them from converting their pops to soldiers.

As for the French, if you played as Germany and have withdrawn troops from Alsace, they might have seen it as a good chance to try and take those province and failed in the process.
It was more an act of desparation trying to stop my forces on their way to Paris with everything they had; all German border provinces were still guarded by at least 4 divisions. The problem is, once I take Verdun the Allies usually try to take it back and loose a lot of divisions against their own fort.:(

- Did the military stances of the parties change? I've copied the German parties and changed their military policies to either anti-military or pacifism, to prevent them from converting their pops to soldiers.
IIRC they (the ruling Conservativs) were indeed jingo after the war.

It was more an act of desparation trying to stop my forces on their way to Paris with everything they had; all German border provinces were still guarded by at least 4 divisions. The problem is, once I take Verdun the Allies usually try to take it back and loose a lot of divisions against their own fort.:(

IIRC they (the ruling Conservativs) were indeed jingo after the war.

Verdun was considered extremly important by the French, not so much for strategical reason, as nationalism. If you take Verdun, then it's logical for the AI to try and take it back, and taking Verdun takes a lot of casualties, but if I would remove the fort by event after a German capture I'll get complaints why it vanished.

If you've won the war, those parties shouldn't even be woken. If you lost, it should be an anti-military party, I'll check the event to see if it forces a different ruling party.

Gorgo Primus said:
This mod does let France to surrender and the war to continue on, right? I forget. :)

The only thing I can say is that Germany and the Entente will be at peace with each other is if both accept it. For the future release I'll split the UK and dominions from it. And possibly do so for the other CPs as well.

I was wondering, do you want some more suggestions on other things in the timeline? Like Ukraine, more Russian stuff etc...

For example the Third Russian Revolution, which was a revolt by anarchists, left SR's and other leftists anti-Bolsheviks. They tried to take over in Moscow etc. I can have more info up on that too etc. I'll be willing to help out a lot with some of the smaller nations post-1918, so like Austria, Hungary etc.

If you've got it sorted though, its ok! Just wanting to help out!

I was wondering, do you want some more suggestions on other things in the timeline? Like Ukraine, more Russian stuff etc...

For example the Third Russian Revolution, which was a revolt by anarchists, left SR's and other leftists anti-Bolsheviks. They tried to take over in Moscow etc. I can have more info up on that too etc. I'll be willing to help out a lot with some of the smaller nations post-1918, so like Austria, Hungary etc.

If you've got it sorted though, its ok! Just wanting to help out!

Some things spring to mind, yes. I want to expand the Basmachi revolt, which currently is just a bunch of rebels taking over Central Asia. Since it took long for the Soviets to crush it, I think it can be represented in a better way. The Turkish War of Independence needs an upgrade, as the original paradox version is shallow.

And some post war stuff is always nice to add.

Some things spring to mind, yes. I want to expand the Basmachi revolt, which currently is just a bunch of rebels taking over Central Asia. Since it took long for the Soviets to crush it, I think it can be represented in a better way. The Turkish War of Independence needs an upgrade, as the original paradox version is shallow.

And some post war stuff is always nice to add.

I may be able to help out a tad with the Basmachi...bits and pieces of information in general. How is the Basmachi revolt portrayed in your mod at present?