• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mzumbo

Private
Jan 14, 2021
Can someone explain to me why the AI empires have fleets that are near 300,000 attack power within 100 years of the game starting...?

i understand that the AI posed no real threat before and was quite dense in its decision, but this absolutely insane! every playthrough ive tried yields the same results: nearly every AI empire has these massive fleets, seemingly at the start of the game(exaggerating a bit) and im left with no other option but to "pony up" to these empires in the hopes of somehow tackling them at a later date(which never comes).

I have also witnessed the AI able to merge fleets regardless of size(i assume they can merge fleets regardless of configurations as well?) while i have to jump through hoops to do that.

Did paradox play test the changes before releasing it...? or did they change everything just to set up the Federations DLC, which is going to be coming out on consoles soon? I understand that the DLC brings the "Diplomacy war" for those who dont want to wage war.

Dont get me wrong, i wanted the AI be more of a threat but this just like overkill. In addition, the AI never fights me head on, oh no, it runs away and waits to take back ONE SYSTEM, which completely throws the war exhaustion point system progress by nearly 100 points(regardless of how important or unimportant that one system is).

some folks may say "just wait for the midgame crisis to show up and collect". I've tried that, and it never works. the Midgame crisis poses no threat at all and eventually gets stuck on one, forsaken planet for no reason why the AI empire with three 100,000K fleets just walk over it and nothing changes. So let me get this straight: you buff the AI intelligence and their fleets, but you left the midgame crisis completely unchanged...? am i missing something here?

what was the point of these changes because it seems like nothing was tested before they were made?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I also had a similar problem.
Before the robbery:

And there one of the three war parties had given up with surrender:

The heaviest of the three had almost 100k combat strength, I simply set 3 fleets with 50k + each against it.
The AI does not rely on balance like players, but simply puts everything in the Starbase full of fleet poi

im not sure im following what you're getting at with the pictures friend. at the moment where my galactic empire playthrough is at, i have one machine empire that has four fleets, each with close to 200k attack power and they all follow each like puppies. another empire in the same playthrough is currently losing against the midgame crisis, and after wiping out th fallen empire, i can finally move to invade their territory.

My point being is that it has taken me close to two hundred years to be able to field 13 fleets with most of them being at 80K each while the enemy had fleets close to 200K practically right out of the gate at start and the numbers just keep climbing.

In their attempts to make the AI more of a threat, they completely broke the scale and im wondering if they only did it just so people would use the spy system in the federations DLC. that is the DLC where we'll be getting spies right?

In their attempts to make the AI more of a threat, they completely broke the scale and im wondering if they only did it just so people would use the spy system in the federations DLC. that is the DLC where we'll be getting spies right?
I don't know anything about spies. I have all the DLC's by now, but I won't look at the new ones until I'm the sole ruler.
And that can take a while.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If the AI has a large fleet that doesn't seem bound by fleet capacity, it is probably their federation fleet.

Spies are a part of the Nemesis DLC, not Federations. It will be a while before spies come to console.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If the AI has a large fleet that doesn't seem bound by fleet capacity, it is probably their federation fleet.

Spies are a part of the Nemesis DLC, not Federations. It will be a while before spies come to console.
checking in my playthrough right now, no empire has a federation set up as it seems everyone hates each other lol

so it seems that at least two of the five empires in my playthrough have at two or four fleets numbering close to 300K attack power and they are keeping them attached to each other.

What are you on about? I played numerous games on v2.6 GA difficulty, no empire wields 100k out the door(not talking about FE). Yes if you let them be for 200 years they will manage to acquire over 200k fleets but you as a player should not sleep over your tech or fleet capacity. 200 years you should have killed FE with your own minimum 200k fleets. Try lower difficulty?

Last edited:
I can't say I have had any issues. I used to though until I realized to constantly be building and expanding. Don't pay attention to sprawl or limits. The penalties aren't too detrimental.

If you are being overwhelmed by ai, understand its play style. It attacks planet and tries to land transports. It will not attempt to take multiple planets at the same time. If you can create a buffer planet with lots of armies and planetary shield you can pretty much keep them from advancing any further and allow war exhaustion to settle for status quo.

Best thing to do is be aggressive. Always be building ships always be expanding. Empire sprawl means nothing. Fleet capacity is just a suggestion you can go over with a strong economy.

As others have suggested check your settings. Difficuly, ai aggressiveness, advanced ai start, fallen empires, all these can effect things. Also perhaps preselct your opponents by making certain ones impossible to be picked for ai.

Hope that helps.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The a.i. in this game is generally pretty dumb and rather than improve it, the devs often put less limits on what they can do, make debuffs not effect them and generally straight up let them cheat.
(Generally letting them brute force things, rather than use actual smart tactics or fleet movement.)

Also some militant empires can raise their fleets to silly levels and ramp their tech up until they're nearly invincibile.

For example, multiply seperate empires can declare war on you, after you're already at war.

However, if you try to declare war on an empire at war you can't.

Nor can you declare independance when your overlord is at war or unite vassels against an overlord - you're ordered to attack a break away vassel with your only option to ignore them.

The best you can often do against superiorly equipped or numbered a.i. fleets is, avoid direct contact with them, say have three or four small fleets to attack their undefended planets and stations, and run if they approach within one to three systems of your fleets and wait for them to engage any friendly fleets, hopefully in friendly space, where you get buffs and away from their space, where they get buffs, and fight on your terms :) .

Last edited:
The a.i. in this game is generally pretty dumb and rather than improve it, the devs often put less limits on what they can do, make debuffs not effect them and generally straight up let them cheat.
(Generally letting them brute force things, rather than use actual smart tactics or fleet movement.)

Also some militant empires can raise their fleets to silly levels and ramp their tech up until they're nearly invincibile.

For example, multiply seperate empires can declare war on you, after you're already at war.

However, if you try to declare war on an empire at war you can't.

Nor can you declare independance when your overlord is at war or unite vassels against an overlord - you're ordered to attack a break away vassel with your only option to ignore them.

The best you can often do against superiorly equipped or numbered a.i. fleets is, avoid direct contact with them, say have three or four small fleets to attack their undefended planets and stations, and run if they approach within one to three systems of your fleets and wait for them to engage any friendly fleets, hopefully in friendly space, where you get buffs and away from their space, where they get buffs, and fight on your terms :) .
You need to get good at this game. You say AI is dumb then say how it is hard for your to break from being vassal lol. Watch some guides on how to get good

Reactions:
You need to get good at this game. You say AI is dumb then say how it is hard for your to break from being vassal lol. Watch some guides on how to get good
I was mostly giving examples, but making the point that the devs allow the a.i. to various unfair things that we can't that in certain situations can stack up against you, leaving you fighting a gurilla war.

While indeed in other playthroughs the a.i does silly things that make playing against them too easy ...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was mostly giving examples, but making the point that the devs allow the a.i. to various unfair things that we can't that in certain situations can stack up against you, leaving you fighting a gurilla war.

While indeed in other playthroughs the a.i does silly things that make playing against them too easy ...
Yes I agree AI is silly more often than not but cheating is probably it's only chance to do any resistance against advanced human players. People play with GA aggressive with smart mods for AI and still win. That is the reason we have difficulty levels, if 300k enemy power is something players cannot handle they can always play on ensign. I like my GA and cheating AI

I can't say I have had any issues. I used to though until I realized to constantly be building and expanding. Don't pay attention to sprawl or limits. The penalties aren't too detrimental.

If you are being overwhelmed by ai, understand its play style. It attacks planet and tries to land transports. It will not attempt to take multiple planets at the same time. If you can create a buffer planet with lots of armies and planetary shield you can pretty much keep them from advancing any further and allow war exhaustion to settle for status quo.

Best thing to do is be aggressive. Always be building ships always be expanding. Empire sprawl means nothing. Fleet capacity is just a suggestion you can go over with a strong economy.

As others have suggested check your settings. Difficuly, ai aggressiveness, advanced ai start, fallen empires, all these can effect things. Also perhaps preselct your opponents by making certain ones impossible to be picked for ai.

Hope that helps.
Interesting, i didnt know you could preselect your opponents and such. thanks for the heads up.

i guess i was playing too passively, trying to build everything up and not being more aggressive.

one of my key strategies for dealing with other empires is to box them in after 1st contact and prevent them from expanding by nabbing systems that have hyperlanes leading to their empire and fortifying them with defense stations, i also heavily fortify any wormholes that i control that lead to other empires.

• 2Like
Reactions: