• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Franet

Sergeant
19 Badges
May 30, 2018
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I know we will need to wait for the update, but please modders, think about it here.
An awful lot.
For example with the variable manipulation - I wont know this for sure till 2.9 drops and I try it - one thing i'd want to mod in is a ship-size cap for the smaller ships (BBs, CVs, DDs) to force more mixed fleets.
By being able to read in your nation's current naval capacity (and used naval cap percentage - and its reciprocal) you can set limits (e.g. no more than 20% of a fleet may be battleships) that the game can use to block ship construction.
  • So if your fleet is already at 20% BBs, building one more is either A) blocked as an action or B) puts you in breach of a GC resolution (if one modded one exists setting ship-size limits). Effectively letting you create naval treaties and encouraging the use of "non-meta" ship sizes.
  • You could also give militarists special bonuses. By default, for example, each ethos could let you build up to 20% BBs in your fleets, but militarist governments raise that to 35% and Fanatic militarist govts [and gestalts] increase it again to 60% cap - or mil-FPs [and DEs/DSes] raise it further still to 100%.
  • Suddenly fleet compositions now differ with nations ethics, whilst militarists can field capital-heavy fleets, most other nations may be stuck with smaller classes. Pacifists could even have this go the other way, reducing their larger ship sizes down to 10% - so cruisers or corvettes will end up being their main fighting vessel.
And thats a pretty basic use of just converting naval cap in to a variable, computing fractions and setting limits via flags, country modifiers or "game rules", which could have a large impact on the game's warfare.

You could do many more exotic things, too, with a little creativity and maths ...