War and borders in space

War and borders in space

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Quaade

Field Marshal
70 Badges
Mar 28, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Impire
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
It´s likely too late for such an implementation, but what if borders in space had to be enforced forcing you to split up fleets and react to incursions where "enemies" fly in either to provoke or test you...

You would be able to tell ppl/aliens that they should stay out or face the consequences, leading up to diplomatic fallout where you are accused of aggressively destroying their ships and pay reparations and you accuse them of having infringed into your borders. This way skirmish battles could be introduced where only the two participants are duking it out until it escalates into full-blown war or a diplomatically solution is found (or forced, goes along with your space UN @Wiz )

Perhaps this would require two sets of borders "core and outer" where you have to enforce the outer borders with fleets or risk colonies to pop up all of a suddenm and core border infringement is greater and more easily leads to wars with defenders being called into. This would play into the "start" where you haven´t discovered aliens and can attack them, there are no reason to attack them over discovering them, since they don´t really attack you, threathen you or try to force you out with having military ships following your ships for a period before destroying them... In effect it would be cool if I had to react to aliens getting near my planets, when I don´t know if they are hostile or friendly and my reaction would reflect how they see me... When I destroy a friendly and curious alien simply because I wanted to keep them out of my space and couldn´t tell them since I didn´t have the translator...

Having skirmish battles would also be neat in the sense of not having the "total war" mode that is currently in effect when you want to take over planets... What if you could attack or take over new colonies without a war being needed, if you could make UN acknowledge that you had the right or that a response couldn´t be supported... If you are met with a strong empire that does this to you, how do you react... Full on war or skirmish battles where you have a chance of fight-n-flee tactic, could you instead gain support from other aliens who also feel threathened about this empire creating a sort of UN to prevent this.

This would also add into pirates and critters that would spawn and live where you don´t patrol, grow in power as they breed or build up.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose. If you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.