Waking the Tiger is coming on the 8th of March: Feature Breakdown part #1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bus

Product Marketing Manager
Paradox Staff
Oct 9, 2017
Paradox Pressrelease banner.png

Waking the Tiger Makes Appointment With Destiny

Hearts of Iron IV Expansion to Arrive March 08

30 January 2018 - STOCKHOLM - Eighty years ago, the people of China rallied together to fight a ruthless invader - another in a long line of invaders. For a brief moment, the post-revolutionary squabbles that followed the end of the imperial line were put aside to defend the nation. But that is just one possible timeline. History is not fixed, and Paradox offers you the chance to change it once again with the release of Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger on March 8.

Pre-order Waking the Tiger: Here

Waking the Tiger is the next expansion for Hearts of Iron IV, Paradox Development Studio’s best-selling World War II grand strategy wargame. With new focus trees, revised battle systems and new alternate historical paths for the major Axis powers, Waking the Tiger will shake idle generals from their slumber:

See the first in our series of feature videos:

Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger includes:
  • Chinese National Focuses: Divided and under threat, China has great reserves of manpower and diplomatic flexibility
  • Chain of Command: Unite your armies under a field marshal who can take advantage of the many skills of the generals under his direction.
  • Decisions and Missions: Historical decisions and national missions give you new places to spend Political Power, as you deal with domestic politics or start special projects.
  • General Traits and Abilities: Generals’ traits can now unlock powerful Command Power abilities, allowing great flexibility and creativity.
  • Updated Axis Focus Trees: Alternate historical paths for the German Reich and Imperial Japan, including parliamentary rule in Japan and the return of the Kaiser to Germany.
  • Acclimatization: Over time, troops will learn how to survive in the desert or harsh winters, giving these veterans an edge on the battlefield.
  • And More: Capturing battlefield equipment, and a revitalized air war system that has room for Volunteer air wings.

Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger will be available on March 8, 2018, and, as usual, the release will be accompanied by a free major update for all Hearts of Iron players.

More information for Expansion Pass-owners, see this thread.

More Feature Highlight videos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a bit late but if any of the developers are reading this, I strongly believe that Waking the Dragon would be much more appropriate of a title.

The tiger is also associated [clarification edit: In Chinese culture] with martial ferocity and bravery but the dragon is much more representative of China, and the tiger is usually depicted in a rivalry with the dragon.

And the last point is that the tiger is more of a national animal for Korea so...

Last edited:
Either they hit a breakthrough in the AI fixing they mentioned, or the executives have pressured them to release. I hope it's the former.

I've never heard of a game company saying, "We've had a breakthrough with our AI, so we're releasing a month earlier than planned" or "We absolutely will not release the game until we've fixed this AI issue".

Maybe a bit late but if any of the developers are reading this, I strongly believe that Waking the Dragon would be much more appropriate of a title.

The tiger is also associated with martial ferocity and bravery but the dragon is much more representative of China, and the tiger is usually depicted in a rivalry with the dragon.

And the last point is that the tiger is more of a national animal for Korea so...

it's based one of Mao Ze Dong's quotes actually. "When waking a tiger, use a long stick."

it's based one of Mao Ze Dong's quotes actually. "When waking a tiger, use a long stick."
I know it is, but it still doesn't negate my points though.

Plus using a quote of Mao is quite off-putting when you consider the main force doing the fighting was the ROC, and with all the damage the CCP has done to China as a whole.

I've never heard of a game company saying, "We've had a breakthrough with our AI, so we're releasing a month earlier than planned" or "We absolutely will not release the game until we've fixed this AI issue".
Maybe not that extreme, but in one of the latest streams they mentioned the reason they were holding back on announcing a release date was because they were still fixing the AI for the new mechanics.

The tiger is also associated with martial ferocity and bravery but the dragon is much more representative of China, and the tiger is usually depicted in a rivalry with the dragon.

Yeah, pretty sure that ship has sailed since it is in the marketing release stage.