Wait, my Stellaris has Origins now?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varsovian

Corporal
Dec 25, 2016
I've noticed something weird - when creating my custom Empire, I can now choose an Origin.

Yes, I know - it's a new system introduced in Federations. The problem is... I haven't purchased Federations. So, why do I have this option?

I checked the Stellaris Wiki and it seems that I don't have all of the Origins available - there are some marked as related to Federations that I don't have. But I have every other one. So, what gives? Was Origins a part of some patch, not of the Federations DLC proper?

Reactions:
some origins were part of the patch

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some origins came out with 2.6 or changed from what they were like syncretic evolution. There are some origins that are free for base game and others that are unlocked by having dlc. For example, having apocalypse gives you the tomb world and Gaia world start origins. So the origins isn't from federations it's just a lot are locked behind the dlc.

Reactions:
Yes, I know - it's a new system introduced in Federations.
That's just it. It's not introduced in Federations. It's introduced in the free 2.6 patch which was released alongside Federations.

Reactions:
Paradox is not very clear in which of the new features are part of a DLC or part of the regular patch, or part of the game dependent on what other DLCs you have. When they say: "This is new with Federations", what they really mean is "these are the new features released to the game at the same time that a certain DLC called Federations is released - go check the Wiki to find out which of these features you may have access to"

Reactions:
Paradox is not very clear in which of the new features are part of a DLC or part of the regular patch, or part of the game dependent on what other DLCs you have. When they say: "This is new with Federations", what they really mean is "these are the new features released to the game at the same time that a certain DLC called Federations is released - go check the Wiki to find out which of these features you may have access to"
They said in the dev diary which were apart of dlc and which were base game. So they did say it clearly that origins is a base game thing, it's just some of them are locked behind dlc

• 1Like
Reactions:
they release dev diaries

• 1Like
Reactions:
They said in the dev diary
And you expect me to go looking through four years of dev diaries to find out what the current state of the game and each DLC is?

If I'm interested in buying a game or DLC, the place I go looking for information are the release or patch notes. That works reasonably well for every software in the world. Why not for Stellaris?

For people who are new to the game, or come back after a time, the first stop are the patch notes. If that info is in the Dev diary, then why not in the patch notes? Or at least link to the DD? And why don't people interested in buying a DLC get full information on what they receive without checking four years of dev diaries? What's so hard in providing full information in the one place that everyone would go looking for it?

Reactions:
And you expect me to go looking through four years of dev diaries to find out what the current state of the game and each DLC is?

If I'm interested in buying a game or DLC, the place I go looking for information are the release or patch notes. That works reasonably well for every software in the world. Why not for Stellaris?

For people who are new to the game, or come back after a time, the first stop are the patch notes. If that info is in the Dev diary, then why not in the patch notes? Or at least link to the DD? And why don't people interested in buying a DLC get full information on what they receive without checking four years of dev diaries? What's so hard in providing full information in the one place that everyone would go looking for it?

Reactions:

You don't have to searching for them, if you're caught up to game then the literal newest dev diary will be of the newest dlc or update. The dev diaries are their versions of patch notes. And if you pay attention to things like their Twitter then they will give links to the newest dev diaries. So really that's on you for not knowing and keeping up to date. And they have a discord that they will post new dev diaries in as well

Reactions:

The 2.6 patch notes actually do have separate sections for free features and expansion features. In a bizarre and unhelpful turn of events, however, origins are listed in the latter section even though they're part of the free patch.

Reactions:
You don't have to searching for them, if you're caught up to game then the literal newest dev diary will be of the newest dlc or update. The dev diaries are their versions of patch notes. And if you pay attention to things like their Twitter then they will give links to the newest dev diaries. So really that's on you for not knowing and keeping up to date. And they have a discord that they will post new dev diaries in as well
I've been playing quite some time and do check the Patch Notes regularly. I can't remember ony of them stating we should be checking the dev diaries as well. Or Twitter, or other channels that I don't use anyway. (I'm not into social media - I consider them a huge waste of time)

That said, I occosionally went to look into one of those DD threads, but I found that there's a huge noise to information ratio. Therefore I didn't consider it worth my time. I mean, they talk about things they're working on and how they *might* change things in a future patch, but it''s not certain it will be in the next patch, or the one after that, or at all. Nor whether it's actually going to be that way.

I consider Patch Notes to be the place where to look up reliable information. This is not true of DDs, in general. If Paradox indeed does it differently, they should spend more effort making that clear.

Reactions:
The 2.6 patch notes actually do have separate sections for free features and expansion features. In a bizarre and unhelpful turn of events, however, origins are listed in the latter section even though they're part of the free patch.
I think that's not the first time it happend. At least it's not the first time I was surprised to find some new feature available in the base game (or at least without the neweset DLC), although I was under the impression it was only available as part of the new DLC.

Or, to be precise, I am no longer surprised, really. Nowadays, if I'm really wondering what are the requirements for a specific new feature, I check the Wiki. E. g. https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Empire#Origin lists the DLC needed to unlock any specific origin.

Reactions:
I think that's not the first time it happend. At least it's not the first time I was surprised to find some new feature available in the base game (or at least without the neweset DLC), although I was under the impression it was only available as part of the new DLC.

Or, to be precise, I am no longer surprised, really. Nowadays, if I'm really wondering what are the requirements for a specific new feature, I check the Wiki. E. g. https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Empire#Origin lists the DLC needed to unlock any specific origin.
PDX always update the base game with every paid DLC. they do this with all their games

Reactions:
I've been playing quite some time and do check the Patch Notes regularly. I can't remember ony of them stating we should be checking the dev diaries as well. Or Twitter, or other channels that I don't use anyway. (I'm not into social media - I consider them a huge waste of time)

That said, I occosionally went to look into one of those DD threads, but I found that there's a huge noise to information ratio. Therefore I didn't consider it worth my time. I mean, they talk about things they're working on and how they *might* change things in a future patch, but it''s not certain it will be in the next patch, or the one after that, or at all. Nor whether it's actually going to be that way.

I consider Patch Notes to be the place where to look up reliable information. This is not true of DDs, in general. If Paradox indeed does it differently, they should spend more effort making that clear.
Not all dev diaries will be of game features. But when there is a new update or dlc coming out then the dev diary will be of that update/dlc. As in it says the features that are in it

Reactions:
The wiki is actually pretty clear about it. You only get Peaceful Unification, Galactic Doorstep, or Lost Colony as origin choices with the base game, and it shows you which DLC unlocks every other possible origin.

Reactions:
You said:
1. You knows that origins are part od federation dlc - Whenever You red this, there was more about this.
2. You said wiki tells You that some are not part of dlc - If You would read closely You should find more od this.

No, no one wants You to read anything, just enjoy the game as it is. But if You read, read closely:
Origins system was part of free patch with some free, already unlocked origins, but most of them are related to DLCs, especially federation DLC.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.