Voting weight for Galactic Community - A new Resolution

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mastikator

Technocrat
16 Badges
Jul 2, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
Edit- Thanks to @GOLANX for this idea

Currently the voting in the galactic community works simply: your diplomatic weight = your number of votes.

IMO this a good way, however it's impossible to deny that there are other good ways of determining votes. So here goes, I propose that there should be a new category in the resolutions of the galactic community.

Galactic Voting
  • Diplomatic Weight (default) - your diplomatic weight = your voting power
  • Membership Equality - Voting power is determined by the square root of your diplomatic weight, this will keep the hierarchy exactly the same but drastically reduce the difference between small and big empires. The main purpose of this form is to prevent any one big empire from dominating the GC
  • One Empire One Vote - Every empire gets exactly TEN vote. (why 10? because of favors, if someone calls in 1 favor they get 1 vote. 5 favors = 5 votes)
There could also be a few side options:
  • Council Privileges - Votes by galactic council members count for +10% (or some number) more
  • Popular mandate - Members who have recently (last 20 years?) proposed a resolution that then passed gain +10% voting power

-
Also calling in favors should take away from the empires that you're calling them in from.

• 4Like
Reactions:
EDIT: I'm dumb. It's a Resolution. Cool.

Last edited:
I do think GC needs some attention, but I'm not sure I agree with this approach.

This would greatly shift the gameplay experience. Also I think, theoretically, in the vastness of space with multiple planets each vote/empire may not be equal. Sure they get the benefits/consequences of participating. But let's say Empire 1 has 50% of the fleet power. Empire 2 has 50% of the economy. Empire 3 has 50% of the tech. And Empire 4 has 2% of each. Do you really think the other empires are going to let them have an equal vote? Empire 4, you want us to go to war and you only risk 2% of fleet while Empire 1 risks 50% fleet/lives? I don't buy it. But who knows. That's just my opinion.
I'm not really talking about what makes up diplomatic weight. Just that diplomatic weight as a function of voting power can have multiple outcomes. And it should be up to the galactic community to decide what that function is.
Whether you think "everyone gets equal votes" or "whoever has the biggest fleet gets more votes" (or whatever) is entirely up to you, that's your opinion dude. And your opinion should be represented in the Galactic Community, you should have the option to propose it as a resolution.

I'm not really talking about what makes up diplomatic weight. Just that diplomatic weight as a function of voting power can have multiple outcomes. And it should be up to the galactic community to decide what that function is.

OHHHH! I see. It's a Resolution. My bad. Completely. Totally.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
My original point was that diplomatic weight innately allows you to bypass the intel system, when you hover over an empires diplomatic weight right now you will get a detailed breakdown of how much fleet power they have, how many pops they have, how strong their economy is. If you want to go to war with an empire and don't have intel you can just open up the community screen, compare their fleet power with yours determine whether you can beat them.

It is for this reason that I believe the default should be the "one empire one vote" system with diplomatic weight completely hidden, empires that are transparent will show their diplomatic weight openly but it won't affect their voting and is only useful for alliance building. The Galactic Community will then have the ability to get empires to be transparent which will show all empires diplomatic weight and raises base intel to 40 for all member empires revealing basic information about every facet of their empire. Any Empire that refuses to share their intel will be in breach of galactic law.

40 intel is the base level for gaining intel on everything related to diplomatic weight, you should be giving up this much to gain diplomatic weight otherwise the game is just giving away gated information for free.

• 1Like
Reactions: