• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OnyxAbussos

General
50 Badges
Nov 19, 2017
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
So... the presence of the JEFF species portrait really makes me wanna make a Vogon race and force-spawn them in my games.

But I always start arguing with myself about exactly what Ethics and Civics to give them. Sorta the traits too (with the exception of Repugnant, given the nature of their poetry). But really the ethics and civics.

Like Oligarchy or Megacorp?
Oligarchy allows Byzantine Bureaxracy.
But they're really not a government. They're literally just a bureaucracy in the larger galactic culture. So that would make them a Megacorp, since branch offices could be compared to getting your jollies by giving other races crippling amounts of paperwork. Kinda. And if they're gonna be in a Federation, it should arguably be a Commercial one. And of the Diplomatic Stances, Mercantile seems the most appropriate for them.

But megacorps can't get Byzantine Bureaucracy, which is like... I mean come on... But Merchant Guilds? Well, no, they aren't dominated by merchant guilds. And that civic doesn't allow branch offices.

Oligarchy at least can be interpreted as "no one is actually in charge. The machinery of labyrinthine, self-generating paperwork just keeps grinding things forward without actual decisions being made."

But then again, a Dictatorship or Imperial gives the extra edict, which is like adding a whole new bureau of [thing]. And Imperial government could simulate their powerlessness to cause actual institutional change. No ability to influence Ruler traits or agendas at ALL...

Hierarchical?
Materialistic? (If for no other reason than to prevent them from ever having Priests of any variety and to have to rely on Clerks and their "entertainers" for ammenities).
Pacifist? (Purely to make it so that when they fight... if they're a reg Gov, they do a liberation war and thus turn the opponent into a Byzantine Bureaucracy against their will, and if they're an MC, they do same and replace the others' govs with more soulless transactions).

Xenophobic? (They sure af ain't warm and fuzzy, and non-xenophobic runs the risk that they might have a non-Vogon leader... and "no refugees allowed" sounds very Vogon).

Criminal Heritage?
(Hear me out... Would their beach offices make things on the planet run more smoothly? Or would it start humming up the gears and making everything Grind to a halt under the weight of red-tape? And would their offices be welcomed? Or would they be something you didnt want on your world, but couldnt prevent because some fine print here referenced the fine print in some one else's treaty which... and on and on until the only way to prevent it would be to have all your Citizens surrender to the Borg for some inexplicable reason?).

Unruly Trait?
(This makes them have MORE bureaucrats. Docile would make them have fewer, which is no go.)

What y'all think?
How would y'all make them?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sry really like the idea, but don't know the book good enough.
Like the idea of criminal heritage. Feels right in the point that they would not streamline your bureaucracy but rather hinder it.

Given their total disdain for beauty, Functional Architecture pretty much has to be on the list.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Personally I would say:
Oligarchy (I feel they're meant to represent governemental bureaucracy than corporations)
Byzantine Bureauracy (that civic was basically made for them)
Functional Architecture (its described as "drab and boring" which fits perfectly.

Materialist for sure, along with maybe autoritarian and xenophobe. Or maybe just Fan. Materialist with xenophobe.

Along with possibly:
Thrifty (they're looking for their own profit)
Traditional (they're not open to change)
Maybe Enduring (they look old kinda) ?
Repugnant (Obviously)
Decadent maybe ?

Reactions:
Oligarchy allows Byzantine Bureaxracy.
Functional Architecture
Oligarchy (I feel they're meant to represent governemental bureaucracy than corporations)
Byzantine Bureauracy (that civic was basically made for them)
Functional Architecture (its described as "drab and boring" which fits perfectly.
Definitely agree about Byzantine Bureaucracy, and I feel like Functional Architecture is tied with Distinguished Admiralty for 2nd most appropriate. Whichever of those two doesn't make the first cut should be your 3rd pick.

Necessary traits:
- Unruly (to max out Bureaucrats)
- Repugnant (for the poetry)

That leaves 3 trait picks and +6 trait points. Honestly can't think of a positive trait which would be necessary, but several could fit.
+ Natural Engineers (their ships are well-regarded)
+ Very Strong (they throw around the MC easily)
+ Conformists (not known for free-thinking)

Ethics could be some combination of
* Authoritarian
* Militarist
* Materialist

and "no refugees allowed" sounds very Vogon
That's available to everyone who isn't a Xenophile, and not being a Xenophile seems correct so yeah.

I don't see them as Xenophobes, because they do seem to work with other species in terms of becoming the horrible space bureaucracy for those other species.

Reactions: