• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(11008)

Captain
Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Vive la France!!! ...and I mean the Whole World :)

charlemagneempebio.jpg

Too German.

Louis-XIV-of-France.jpg

Too liberal.

nappy.jpg

Not ambitious enough.

------

Whereas previous French conquerors failed, I, in my infinite wisdom and my insatiable appetite to annex everything, shall succeed...even though I'm not French.

I've only fiddled around with the game a few times as Russia, but I'm convinced the same basic strategy laid out in my 1st edition Victoria Russian AAR Tsar of the Whole World will work like a charm. In fact, the limiting factors placed on army sizes should make conquering the world easier. I'm not much for story-telling, so this AAR will just demonstrate my basic strategy as well as certain things that just seem to work (even though I am not always sure as to why).

I have a feeling 1.2 patch will change a lot of things in the game, but as this basic approach worked in the previous Vikki, I venture it will work in 1.whatever. 1.1 it is then for this AAR.

Why France?
I was going to use Russia again, but I heard some whispering on the forum that it's too strong. Tech pacing is painfully slow, but yeah, once you get Freedom of Trade (always get this first!) and rails and clean coal, yeah, Russia can steamroll anyone. I don't know the ins and outs of the game, so Ill hold off on Luxembourg for now. France should pose an interesting twist on WC because it's geography is kind of unfavorable - the pink elephant that is the UK is just across the English Channel and a lot of places I want to go are on the other side of the world which will force me to actually pay attention to my navy.

Plan:

• I think industrializing is a pain, inefficient, expensive, too micromanagement oriented, relatively unprofitable, and, since everything is available on the world market, UNNECCESARY. RGOs + Rails + tariffs = cha-ching!! Unless your Belgium, I think RGOs are the key to maintaining a robust and consistent economy. So I'm just going to build a few token factories to employ a few craftsmen and ensure I get vital materials I need just in case an unforeseen feature in the late game prevents access to stuff like guns and steel.

• Ostensibly, the biggest hurdle to WC is getting enough soldier POPs. I suppose turning everyone into a soldier back in Vikki 1 was an exploit, but damn, it's hard to "encourage" my POPs to march into recruiting stations. So rather than waste my efforts to encourage Frenchmen to take up arms, I'll get my POPs from somewhere else...CHINA :D

• There's a silly expression: "Never fight a land war in Asia." HA! For the weak-willed, perhaps, but there are over one hundred million screaming Chinese working in obscenely rich RGOs that are just waiting to pay tariffs and join the French army! Of course, the biggest problem is getting there...

------

Start: 1836

franceaar1.jpg

Politics:
The French start with what is perhaps the worst government possible, the Orleaniste. Laissez Faire sucks! Rather than build decent profitable factories to start like steel or wine, instead you have to rely on your overzealous capitalists who all seem to want to build fertilizer factories where there are no craftsmen and will go bankrupt anyway. Control is good; go with state capitalism. Reforms? LOL, what's that :rofl: And what's this anti-militarism nonsense? Who am I, Mahatma Gandhi? One of the few things Mao Zedong was absolutely right about was the Politics power comes from the barrel of a gun!

franceaar2.jpg

Economics:
In order to field a respectable army, lacking the ability to conscript, we need to find creative ways to "encourage" farmers to trade in their pitchforks for rifles. Unemployment is by far the best motivator, however, I can not think of anyway to forcibly unemployed people (exploit: Allow rebels or enemy forces to occupy your provinces. They'll be quite unemployed then and will demote into soldier POPs). 100% taxes and 100% tariffs will cause many laborers to be unable to fulfill their life needs and will prompt them to demote (farmers will always get even their everyday needs filled...I guess one of the benefits of growing food!). I don't max our Admin and Education because I want the ones who promote to become soldiers and not clergy/bureaucrats. Not only does this policy give me soldiers, it also gives me a ridiculous amount of income so a double-win.

franceaar3.jpg

Stuff:
I go with medicine first because I don't need money and it's absolutely critical I don't lose my invading army from Chinese attrition. Literacy is good and the research points per month is decent. This will stagnant under my settings but that is an acceptable trade off.

franceaar4.jpg

Note: I'm allowed 62 brigades to start.

Factories:
I will subsidized all industries with the exception of consistent money-makers (from my experience steel, wine, glass, cement, lumber, ships. Paper, furniture and liquor are reasonable). I'm not sure what how the mechanics work for getting craftsmen, though I do know that I am better predicting it than my idiot capitalists so I will destroy most of their projects and simply manually build a few industries as indicated in my plan. I build a steamer factory in Aquitaine. Steel in Picardy. Liquor in Rhone. Cement in Ill de France. When I notice I have some unemployed craftsmen waiting for a stupid capitalist project like fertilizer (avoid at all costs!), I'll build a glass and gun factories.

franceaar5.jpg

I've noticed your tax revenue will crash from the beginning so it's best to wait a bit to see where it will level off at. Tariffs income has all but disappeared; most likely since my poor POPs can't buy anything.

franceaar6.jpg

After two years:

I do appreciate that my capitalists build railroads so France is well on its way to being completely railed. Though they don't always build them in your best RGO provinces (they seem to prioritize factories), so use the ledger and find out which of your provinces produce the best RGO income. Rails make a huge difference! The Russian coal and iron provinces like Poltava and Perm go from 100 pounds to 150. We now are allowed 113 brigades, an increase of some 30 per year. Since we can afford it, a mass recruitment project is underway as you can see.

franceaar7.jpg

My second tech is army professionalism. The others aren't in the same league. For some reason, photobucket's images aren't at 100% zoomed (anyone know why this is?), so it might be hard to see what I have underlined. That's +100% to military tactics, which will save lots of my precious French soldiers from dying in battle (under my leadership they fight rather than surrender :)) While I am flattered by the likes of Denmark asking me for an alliance, I'm not fooled by their Machiavellian schemes to prevent me from eventually annexing them! The only diplomacy I am doing is increasing my relations to the UK for two reasons: If I can prevent them from DOWing me after I conquer China but before consolidating it, I've got to try and I am going to ask for military access so I can attack China from their soon to be border in Burma. I had originally intended on using Russia as my gateway and walking my troops all the way across Siberia but for whatever reason, I can't maintain good relations with them.

Last edited:
good lord man! are you insane!? I will be looking at this with bated breath!

Supeerme - Insane? LOL, perhaps. We'll have to see how this AAR plays out :)

------

franceaar8.jpg

1841:

France: The first five years of the game are kind of boring. I do nothing but squeeze taxes to turn laborers into soldiers, building lots of boats, and increasing relations with the UK. I think I built 4 factories since the start of the game: cement, steel, gun, and liquor. France's economy doesn't need them (yet), it's going strong @ 880/day. Now the bad news. My allowable brigades is beginning to stagnate around 160...grr, I wanted 200 to attack China.

Happening around the world: Mexico annexed Texas. Prussia and Austria are doing their Bruderkrieg thing. Nothing radical happened with Holland-Belgium. All in all, seems pretty typical.

franceaa9.jpg

Dec 1841:

The target: China. And TIBET has beaten the Brits to Burma :confused: Or did they start there? LOL I'm not sure but I've always seen that pink blob lurch from India and form a nice border with China that was to be my doorway. This complicates things...I need a land base in case my armies need to retreat so it looks like Dai Nam is getting annexed. That's 20 infamy. Add in another 20 for annexing China = badboy wars will kick in as soon as I take China. I suppose I could just take the northern province that borders China to avoid the badboy wars...HA! The world fears FRANCE, not the other way around :D If anyone is feeling lucky, then they can go ahead and make my day.

After a full year, I'm only up to 162 brigades allowed. That's a grand total of two more than from the previous year! So I'd imagine there's a limit to how many of your POPs will become soldiers. I'll make up the difference by mobilizing; that will give me 100 extra brigades which should so the trick. It doesn't matter if they fight lousy since the only thing they'll be doing is laying siege. Since 100% taxes are now just pissing off my POPs, I roll them back to 40%.

Note: You need ports btw/ Europe and Asia or your ships will turn into rotted and rusted wrecks by the time they get there. There's no need to load/unload, just use the shift key and trace a path through the ports.

What could possibly go wrong :rofl:

franceaar10.jpg

May 1842:

You're first Dai Nam!

franceaar11.jpg

Army:
Usually in paradox games there is a best unit (typically cavalry) but at a glance I can't see a big difference btw/ infantry and cav, so I'll just go with combined arms. Artillery is kind of expensive and it's whole schtick of support means that they excel when you outnumber the enemy...which means you were going to win anyway! So I see them as luxuries and why I'm only putting in one per stack.

Now, about my generals: all these guys SUCK! (Literally, de Montaignac and de Castellane are "suckers" :rofl:). It's might be hard to read what I've got underlined, let's just say my military academies produce "cowards," "bootlickers," "clueless," and, of course, "suckers." Nevertheless, we will annex Dai Nam.

franceaar12.jpg

April 1843:

France is winning! And we sneak a peek at the Chinese and what do we see? 150 brigades in the 5 provinces :eek: HA! We laugh at those customs officials. They certainly can't help the Dai Namese:

12 November 1843: Vive la France! Dai Nam is annexed

And after just about all my armies are transported to SE Asia in preparation for our glorious invasion, I see this:
franceaarr13.jpg

September 1844:

I never had to deal with Jacobin rebels when I played Russia! If they're not going to join my army, then I'm not going to bother listening to them. Genghis Khan would not put up with bunch of desk-clerks armed with fountain pens clamoring for reforms and neither will I. Now, I've got to kill these rebel hordes with the 8 brigades I have "guarding" France...

Next up: France attacks China!

Last edited:
oh dear. oh dear oh dear. looks like the rebels will be the one beating you rather the world.

Supeerme: Hehe, I hadn't figured them in my calculations :D But I fear not farmers armed with pitchforks and bureaucrats armed with fountain-pens!

PiIsExactly3 : Actually, such an overly-aggressive as in this AAR can only be managed by I think three nations: UK, Russia, and France. If I were to play a any other nation, my goals would be, shall we say, a bit more toned down ;) That being said, don't let me put a damper into any budding aspirations to turn Gwailor into a Great Power!

---------

Luckily I had ten brigades I forgot about in Algeria otherwise this might have been the shortest AAR :)

Franceaar14.jpg

January 1845: France invades China!

Numbers to heed that may be too small to make out
  • $1182/day
  • 4.14 revolt risk (this seems a bit high...)
  • 151 of 162 possible brigades

The French will avoid the bad terrain North of Dai Nam as I don't want to lose all my soldiers to attrition. Too avoid attrition in my own lands, I've have a procession of armies all the way down what was once Dai Nam. An amphibious attack will be the quickest way to get the troops from Saigon and into the attack. I'll land on the first two unguarded provinces and work to link them with the land attack coming from the west.

Franceaar15.jpg

Mobilization!

It will take some time to transport these guys halfway across the world...

Franceaar16.jpg

War is expensive! Income has drop to $793/day. It appears 30,000 invasion force into Gauzhou has attracted the attention of a total of 108,000 screaming Chinese soldiers. Not quite sure exactly how quality matches up against quantity in this game... Amphibious assaults are undertaken and sieges laid in Hong Kong and Waizao.

Franceaar17.jpg

Franceaar18.jpg

The Battle of Gauzhou:

The Chinese reinforce the original garrison at some point between the 1st and 2nd screenshots. The technological edge of the French is really shining here as we lose only a few hundred in-between screenshots whereas they lose thousands. But...

franceaar21.jpg

I get cocky and my Nanning invasion force is in real trouble. I have no idea why this battle is so dramatically different from Gauzhou. They must be headed by one of my "sucker" generals or the bad terrain is hindering them as the French army is already in the yellow against a green Chinese force that outnumbers them 3:1 which is being promptly reinforced by another Chinese stack. Lesson: These huge battles must be fought on plains; avoid battles in bad terrain at all costs! Also, not having a sucker in command is always a good idea :p

franceaar22.jpg

The Gauzhou battle has just about come to a successful conclusion but my Nanning army is now in the red and the Chinese still in green! :confused::confused: And two more Chinese armies are converging. HA! I laugh at hubris. It's a blow to my pride, but retreat is the only option here :eek:o

franceaar23.jpg

China can be beaten but must be fought under ideal conditions: good terrain with a non "sucker" commanding your armies. With the French military academies, the latter might be hard to come by! If I can recreate 3 or 4 more of these battles and avoiding conditions that favor the Chinese like at Nanning, China will get Vive la Franced!!! (Yes, I just made up my own word).

franceaar24.jpg

Outnumbered 3:1 is doable. That's a 125 stack heading for my army in Waizao! It almost makes me think the other 58 stack also heading for Waizao is kind of small :rofl: I'm not sure if a sucker is commanding them...

franceaar25.jpg

The unsurprising conclusion to the battle of Nanning. Four fleets of transports are constantly shuttling the mobilized forces from France to get into the attack on China. Hopefully before I have too many Nannings...

franceaar26.jpg

Reinforcing the eastern bridgeheads. Not fun looking at the info bar and being outnumbered by 3:1 in every battle :eek: For some reason, I've noticed the attrition losses are not horrific when there is a huge battle so if I were in command of the Chinese armies, I'd make sure to outnumber the French 5:1 in battles.

franceaar28.jpg

July 1845: Some progress made here. Two provinces are captured which will serve as places for my battered armies to automatically reinforce themselves. Waizao is won. Those 43 French vs. the 125 Chinese (both in yellow) is a bit disconcerting, but I've got another army just to the west that will reinforce should things start to take a turn for the worse. Never fight a and battle in Asia? HA! We laugh at such cowardly proverbs :D

Naturally just when you think things are going well

franceaar29.jpg

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edit: Wait, French Reactionaries? Why are they pissed off? I removed the liberal government and appointed the reactionary party. And I haven't enacted a single reform! What do the heck do they want? LOL, if they want me to a Roman Emperor or something I'll be happy to oblige if Paradox makes that an option :D

franceaar30.jpg

Gee, I think they missed a few provinces :wacko: Hmm...I just have a few mobilized farmers to deal with this horde of Rebels. Fun stuff :rolleyes:

Up next: Micromanagement hell.

Last edited:
the colors under your troops are there to show you if your troops are getting supply. Red means no supply yellow means some/half supply and green means full supplies. moving around reduces supply.

Quite an amusing AAR.

Vive le France! :D

This AAR is just solid WIN

See, even the Badeners agree that your generals are suckers. :p And, of course, as the great Baden sympathiser around here, I'll have to agree with them. ;)

Good luck with the Chinese doomstacks! You seem to be coming out ahead in the battles even after accounting for their numbers, hopefully that continues...

Supeerme Didn't know that about supply. Still, an army in red is soon dead :)

Thormodr :D

Psychedelic Sou Yep, soon coming to a country near you!

Projekt 919 ;)

Judas Maccabeus Ahh yes my generals. Now I know how Darth Vader felt having to work with the Admiral Ozzels in the Empire :p

-----

September 1845

It took two months and much clicking, so intense I didn't think of taking any screenies, but the French have succeeded where Darth Vader failed: we crushed the Rebellion. The power to destroy a planet maybe insignificant to the power of the force...but the power to Vive le France!!!the planet surely is not :D

Now that that is over with, lets get down to the business of conquering China.

franceaar31.jpg

We reject your pitiful offers of a white peace! In fact, we're loading up more mobilized farmers to hasten the crumbling Qing...or at least that's what I'd like to believe

franceaar32.jpg

My armies in the red against a Chinese stack of death. Most of the French armies are at half strength...when my sixth army joins the Waizao battle, it should total 180.000 but will only be 88.000. I need those mobilized reserves...not some scary sounding guy with an asthma problem in a dark suit!

Franceaar33.jpg

29 December 1845

And another army is feed into the Waizao meatgrinder that has lasted for more than 3 months! HA! We are French and never yield an inch of ground...unless that ground is Nanning :p Ideally, I'd send any green armies to chase down the fleeing Chinese survivors, but probably only one of my armies will be up to the task. The others will recover in captured provinces.

Franceaar34.jpg

I don't know what Fu Xinde means in Mandarin, but probably something along the likes of "butcher" or maybe "sad sack" :rofl:

Franceaarr35.jpg

As if dealing with my own rebels wasn't annoying enough, now I've got to fight Chinese anarcho-Fu Manchus... Shouldn't they be happy to welcome their new French overlords :D

franceaar35.jpg

In an ideal scenario, this is the best way I think to advance into enemy territory. Your main armies form a blocking line two provinces deep. They should first mercilessly hunt down any enemy armies and surviving stragglers and second lay siege to high supply provinces. Outdated, inexperienced, or otherwise sucky units, i.e. most of my army, I find grouping them in two or three brigade formations and laying siege to everything safely behind the main line works out well. Yongzhou's crappy supply limit of 3 wont kill any of my armies via attrition and is safely captured by units who suck in actual combat.

franceaar36.jpg

May 1846:

French farmers continue capturing Chinese provinces when I noticed something I've never seen in Vikki I - the AI actually managed to form Germany. This is interesting but somewhat alarming. I have its cores in Alsace-Lorriane and virtually nothing in France! I immediately increase relations with Berlin to discourage the Germans from getting any ideas of marching down the L'Avenue des Champs Elysées as they are want to try every forty years or so.

franceaarr36.jpg

January 1847:

After two long years of methodical (i.e. slow) progress, the French have barely reached the Yangtze River. Much of the Chinese army has been destroyed, though there are still enough stacks that I must go out and fight them so as to guard my small besieging units.

franceaar38.jpg

I win these battles but it slows my conquest and I'm starting to get nervous leaving France undefended for so long...

franceaar39.jpg

I start getting lazy and undisciplined to hasten the slaying the Chinese dragon. There are so many provinces! It's like trying to find the hidden rebel fortress. Maybe if I capture that Dantooine province, things will speed up...

franceaar40.jpg

Germany rightly fears from getting Vive la Franced!!!and turns southward for easier pickings. Das Stimmt! Sie haben Angst vor Frankreich!!

franceaar41.jpg

I didn't even know I had that many provinces :rolleyes:

franceaar42.jpg

19 August 1847

AHH! Every province! My "armies" (circled in - lol what color is that - tiel?) are mostly a few mobilized laborers I left behind; they're 11s and 12s. I could use a few Imperial stormtroopers and their precise aim right about now.

franceaar43.jpg

13 December 1847.

LOL, I cant beat them. Some of them have combined into stacks of 21 and 18 which my farmers, now down to 8, avoid. A desperate mass building army programme is underway. The new "Dragoon AT AT Walker" unit recently made available should be just the thing!

About 30 seconds after I took that screenshot, this happened :mad:

franceaar44.jpg

Holy Fu Manchu Batman! LOL I think this game is lost. I am half Sicilian - even though I don't know where the Second Sicily is (i.e. the kingdom of 2 Sicilies) - so I do have some connections that can deal with uncooperative peoples...

franceaarextra2.jpg

franceaar45.jpg

27 May 1848

I'm not going to lie, I would have restarted this game had it not been an AAR - motivation is good :D I pull back about one third of my troops capturing provinces to deal with the rebel SCUM and that combined with some of the Dragoons I built in Dai Nam managed...after click click, click, click, click, click, click, click, etc...six months later and the Chinese anarcho-Fu Manchus still hold many provinces. There is also still a stack of French reactionaries roaming the French countryside. These rebels are giving me more fits than the Chinese army...I must crush the Rebellion with one swift stroke!

franceaar46.jpg

10 July 1848

Yeah I wanted to do this

Such a pity it hasn't turned out the "GERMAN war of French containment". :D
I'm sorry for you but it's been a hilarious AAR nevertheless.
Will you go for another round with Russia now??

haha, those containment wars are a bitch

BTW the two sicilies refers to the union of the kingdoms of Naples and Sicily

Kolprock: Not going to give up on France just yet!

Projekt 919: I did not know that...I wonder why the Kingdom wasn't called "Two Napleses"? :p

GreatSlayer: Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes, never doubt the fighting prowess of the French! :D

TonyJoe: Well, let's just see...

-------

So where'd we leave off?

July 1848 The French were still dealing with anacho-Fu Manchus in China and a dastardly (I don't think I've ever used that word :rofl:) British war of containment. Something I noticed when hunting down the anarcho-Fu Manchus...they weren't all anarcho-Fu Manchus.

You know you're in a little trouble when you click on your armies and see this:

franceaar50.jpg

franceaar52.jpg

:eek: We seem to have recruited a lot of unreliable elements - a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Apparently we've done our recruiting at Mos Eisely :D my armies were literally rebelling in the middle of China! While resisting the temptation to throw my computer out the window, I began to think exactly what the thought process was behind these rebelling armies:

franceaar51.jpg

:rofl:

August 1848

To deal with the dastardly British, I sent my navy into the Channel in a hopeless attempt to block a British invasion force. I actually do have what I thought was a respectable force of commerce raiders but the Royal Navy is HUGE!

franceaar53.jpg

Even with the Brit sad-sack admiral (lol who is given the same -2 leader rating as my 'no leader' :p), the dastardly Brits just have too many ships! Apparently so many that the Paradox name generator is broken. HMS Achille? Well, as long as the Achilles isn't in the fleet I suppose I've still got a shot :D And what exactly is a Hogue? Whatever it is we don't fear it!

Land situation:

franceaar54.jpg

To defend France I pull a page from the German practice of forming a "battle group" from a bunch of small units to make a super attacking force. When in a moral quandary ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?" When in a military quandary ask yourself, "What would the Germans do?" :rofl: I form the battle group in a central area - Evreux, how the hell do you say that? "EHV - ROO"? - noted in tiel and since this force will be stronger than anything the back-stabbing dastardly Brits or its perfidious allies can throw against me, my battle group will just roam around and smash all enemy armies. The two smaller forces - what's left of the farmers I mobilized - will recapture my lost provinces. LOL if you can look in Western France you'll still see 1 rebel army I haven't dealt with yet; its been alive for 1 year :eek:o

franceaar55.jpg

Sea:

I sunk a some of Admiral Tool's ships but the Brits keep reinforcing him so despite his sucky leadership and sucky rolls, numbers are weighing against the French . It won't be long before redcoats land.

PLAN:

Vive la France!!! the Limeys :p

At this point, in one of mare rare moments of rationale thinking, my reasonable goal was to simply not grant peace to the Brits long enough so that I can annex China. Once I annexed China, even if the dastardly British occupied all of France and I caved in to the British terms and was forced to reduce my army and wasn't allowed to build a single unit for 5 years, in 5 years I could still build a shitload of armies and still Vive la France!!! the world. In sum, while annoying and somewhat humiliating, their "war of containment" would only delay my progress by 5 years. If they tried to contain me again in 5 years, without me having to commit all my armies in a desperate attempt to annex China, I'd kick their ass :D

By the way, it took a loooooooooooong time for me to rationalize that line of reasoning in my mental state ;)

All this, of course, hinged on annexing China before all the wretched villainy and scum in my armies melted away from revolting or too many anarcho-Fu Manchus appeared.

So fully accepting to lose, I waited for D-Day.

And waited...

And waited...

And waited...

And:

franceaar59.jpg

:confused:

Well, I'm not going to sit around waiting for them to show up in their top hats and umbrellas.
Meanwhile, in China:

franceaar60.jpg

I'm thinking just maybe...just maybe...

franceaar62.jpg

Back to France:

franceaar56.jpg

The British finally do show up; 1 army lands at Caen, takes it, and then gets smashed by my battle group, reducing it from 36 to 18. While I go beat on the Belgians, the BEF "invades" Caen again. For 4 months or so my "battle group" plays ping-pong between beating on the Brits and Belgians. Oh, yeah, army technologies are good! Who needs impressionism :rofl: Let's see how all those artistic and philosophical techs stack up against French artillery, infantry, and cavalry :D At this point, there's no way the Brits are going to prevent me from annexing China and now I begin to think about those 100% loyal armies in China muhahahahah!!!

franceaar48.jpg

25 May 1849:

Each week I lose another regiment to rebels in China but annexation is in sight!

You just knew this was going to happen:
franceaar49.jpg

Well, at least the Brits, Belgians, and the Dutch will help me kill them :rolleyes:

23 November 1849

franceaar61.jpg

I had a +7% warscore on them with all the land battles I won (I think I occupied a Belgian province too). Back in the old days of Vikky 1, I know I would have had to deal with a horde of Limeys invading France. I'd like to attribute this to my strategic genius, but the AI in Vikky 2 does not nearly build enough troops. If the French have money to burn while embarking on a overly-ambitious invasion of China...what are the Brits doing with its Bill Gatesian bank account? Buying tea?

20 December 1849

franceaar57.jpg

It's taken me almost 5 long years (war began January 1845) and this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close. Even with 150 brigades and another 100 via mobilization (In all about 200 wound up in China), with the Chinese megastacks, huge number of provinces, hordes of Chinese anarcho-Fu Manchus, and losing so many brigades to rebellion, there's no way I'd try that again without at least another 40. Nevertheless, there's only one thing I have to say to China:

20 December 1849: Vive la France!!! China is annexed

franceaar58.jpg

Sacre Bleu! Mon Dieu! Congratulations on your smashing victory!