• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright Zepplin, You Can Vive L' France the south but you have to rig college football for Ole Miss to win, Ok?

Edit: And In the South, You don't 'buy' any food worth eating you

A. Make It Yourself (i.e. Baby Back Ribs)
B. Your Girlfriend/Wife Makes It (i.e. Gumbo, Fried Okra, Sweet Potatoe Pie)
C. Your Mother Makes it (i.e. Fried Chicken, Sweet Potatoe Souffle, Bacon)
D. Your Not Hungry but thirsty so you go get a Whiskey or a Beer depending on your particular Region of the South

Regions/Dialects = Upper Southern, Middle Southern. Deep Southern, Old Southern, Texan

Gos Is in the Details........................Of the Finer points of Southern Culture

Last edited:
Damn you. I thought I was doing good to merely oppress the entire Arab world by 1856 as France. Granted, its the first game I've played more than a few months and I'm playing kind of conservatively.

It is still so funny! I love your Greek dialog!

Finally, a Frenchman can walk from Shanghai to Tunis without needing a passport! Though a canteen filled with water is probably a good idea...

Considering how powerful your France is, it must be champagne everyday in their canteen!

badger_ken: Because France's military score is also stratospheric! In all seriousness, I'm guessing if there is too great a military score disparity, the AI nations will just leave you alone. Also losing -2000£/day is very serious. In just three years that will drain a 2 million £ treasure!

Ivir Baggins, Judas Maccabeus: The Hedjaz is correct!

Projekt 919: Making Ole' Miss win is going to take a lot of rigging... :D
Thanks for the heads up on Southern cuisine. I am curious if you can elaborate with example the differences between the different dialects you mentioned.

Strategic Fail: Thanks! When the pics go back up, read pages 1 and 2...wasn't easy!

Freebot: Aim to Vive la France!!! and not merely oppress :D

Tomsz: Thanks!

--------

A closer look into France:

franceaar132.jpg

A questionable game mechanic world conquerors have to deal with is that every time you add a war goal, some of your jingoism turns into pro-military. You will sometimes here that isn't a big deal because your jingoism goes up during war. Wrong. I had, what, about 30% jingoism after the China War and I've been more or less in a constant state of war and now my jingoism is at 10%...but my pro-military is 42%. If you're adding war goals, you can't maintain jingoism, but your population will be very pro-military :confused: The "war will raise jingoism" perspective reminds me of my online dating experiences. My online dates also have certain perspectives of "average" or "athletic and toned" that doesn't quite match up with reality :rofl:

Our industries:

franceaar133.jpg

franceaar134.jpg

franceaar135.jpg

franceaar136.jpg

franceaar137.jpg

franceaar138.jpg

franceaar139.jpg

There are actually some decent profits here for stuff like steel, liquor, steamers, and fabric. Military goods are another matter. Since this stuff is available on the world market, in a typical game I'm not sure I'd build these...

All right enough of the domestic blah blah nonsense!

7 September 1871: Vive La France!!! Ethiopia is annexed

It's time to fight Projekt 919's Good ol' Boys again...if for no other reason than it's fun Vive la Francing!!! them! Actually it made a lot of sense since:
  • I already had a lot of troops there from Invasion USA
  • The USA is big and will take lots of wars to annex it.
  • I want to get started on Mexico and I can't do that until I expand from Oregon and Florida and border it.

franceaar140.jpg

Unlike Spain, the US has fully funded its troops and the good ol' boys in Jackson and Wilmington are actually putting up a rather stout defense.

But this does not save the mysterious flag people:

21 December 1871: Vive La France!!! The Hedjaz is annexed

franceaar141.jpg

Where are all these Good ol' Boys coming from?? Geez, they breed like rabbits! The Wilmington boys have been routed and French troops have been dispatched to chase them down (never allow an AI army to reorganize if you can manage it) but now Knoxville and Ashville have become huge fights and now some Yankees are marching down from Kentucky!

franceaar142.jpg

daffyduckangry.jpg

What?!?! #%&?@!!

franceaar143.jpg

Well, at least things on the economic front are going well...

franceaar146.jpg

Reinforcements are shipped across the Atlantic to make amphibious landings against undefended Mid Atlantic states and to apply overwhelming force against the Good ol' Boys and Yankees who inflicted the first defeat upon French armies since the Nanning fiasco 20 years earlier. Where an entire Russian Spetsnaz division failed to break up a rag-tag band of American "Wolverines," the French succeed in avenging its losses and send them running to the mountains of Ashville where they will be wiped out!

franceaar144.jpg

Our peace deal with Uncle Sam. Although we underestimated the resistance the Yankees and Good ol' Boys would put up, that merely softened the peace terms; glorious France would never actually lose a war to such uncivilized barbarians :) Next time you won't get off so easy...

We are content with these generous peace terms as I don't really have enough forces to overwhelm the Mexicans - because they're all in Southern France and the Middle East preparing for an invasion of Austria and finishing off the Ottomans! But before we get to this, there are some preliminaries to attend to first:

You're in the way Sardinia-Piedmont

20 April 1873: Vive La France!!! Sardinia-Piedmont is annexed

After our glorious The Hedjaz campaign

5 May 1873: Vive La France!!! Iraq is annexed

Picking off the remnants of the Central United States

17 June 1873: Vive La France!!! Costa Rica is annexed

The Mighty Lucca is slayed

9 October 1873: Vive La France!!! Lucca is annexed

While we're there

24 November 1873: Vive La France!!! Parma is annexed

The rest of Northern Italy is allied with Austria so we slap Vienna with a DOW.

Thanks for honoring the alliance Modena

12 December 1873: Vive La France!!! Modena is annexed

You too Tuscany

3 March 1874: Vive La France!!! Tuscany is annexed

franceaar150.jpg

France Vs. Austria, Switzerland, the Papal States, and the mighty Montenegro (Modena & Tuscany have already been annexed).

franceaar151.jpg

After peace with Switzerland and the Papal States. Both are now annexable so in five years... :D Austria is helpless against the flood of French armies, but the little number under diplomacy is now becoming a problem.

franceaar152.jpg

The game doesn't give very many diplomats and I've got other fish to fry. A base of 0.2 a month is, how shall I say, small, meager, diminutive, minuscule, trifling, tiny, little, scant, meager, insignificant, picayune even. Rather than squeeze Austria for more states, I accept their offer that includes Lombardy because, despite having a gazillion soldiers, my diplomatic corps is somehow lacking :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd rather clean up the Middle East and continue dismantling the Ottomans than grant my ski teams a few Austrian mountains to practice on.

Adios Abu Dhabi

3 April 1876: Vive La France!!! Abu Dhabi is annexed.

With My DOW on the Ottomans, once again Alcibiades and Pericles have delusions of always having Paris and join the war. This ain't Casablanca fellows:

14 April 1876: Vive La France!!! Greece is annexed.

And while were at it

22 September 1876: Vive La France!!! Yeman is annexed

Even though we're at war with the Ottomans, the Spanish aren't safe:

franceaar154.jpg

Since I'm going to have horde diplomats and wait until I've got 9 before I launch any future campaigns, I'm going to wage a few, short wars just to tidy up the world map beforehand. If I've got to wait a decade before acquiring enough diplomats to embark on a future Spanish campaign, I'm going to take their Pacific possessions, the Philippines and the dinky island in the Marianas, away first. The Spanish might not be in a position to strategically threaten France, but I've always been a stickler for the aesthetic beauty of maps :eek:o

And Brunei is the wrong shade of blue

12 June 1877: Vive La France!!! Brunei is annexed

After turning the Pacific islands from a gross yellow into nice shade of light blue, I decide France needs to boot the Russians out of Asia Minor before they vulch the remnants of the Ottoman carcass.

Of course, while French armies are marching through the huge swathes of Russian territory, the we get this little notification

franceaar155.jpg

It just wouldn't be an genuine installment of this AAR with one mention of these guys...

Russia is so big, most of it's provinces are empty or rebel controlled. This makes an invasion of Russia seem less epic than it should, which is an unfortunate consequence of the nature of Victoria 2's gameplay that has far less armies than Victoria 1. Nevertheless, in one or two areas, the Russians do consolidate their mobilized troops and pick a fight:

franceaar156.jpg

Sweden has a total of six battalions guarding Scandinavia and decided to honor it's alliance and join the war. OK... Perhaps they were inspired by the Greek example?

franceaar153.jpg

The Russians are hopelessly outclassed technologically and pose little threat to French armies. Russian attrition is a killer though. The best formula for invading Russia is to have a whole crapload of 2 battalion "armies" besiege their provinces and hold a real army in reserve in a province behind these mini-armies you control/occupy so attrition doesn't kill it (i.e. almost the reverse of a tradition invasion). When the Russian stack does show up, then march the real army to meet it. The Ruskies don't have the tech to make quick work out of your mini armies and your rescue force will arrive in time.

franceaar157.jpg

Peace 9 August 1878.

We took all of Russia's Asia Minor provinces, a Siberian province, and Norway from Sweden. Had I more diplomats and less war exhaustion, I would've squeezed a few more war goals in, but our revolt risk is a bit high and I didn't see the profit in extending an unnecessary war for 4 more months just to take Irkutsk or some other lovely Siberian Club Med getaway.

Next up: We will deal with this guy:

TheTrooper_Home.jpg

Last edited:
Very nicely done. You mention the peace results with the US but I don't actually see them (maybe there's a screenie missing?). Anyhoo, it looks like you picked up Idaho, Mississippi and Alabama - is that right?

Very nicely done. You mention the peace results with the US but I don't actually see them (maybe there's a screenie missing?). Anyhoo, it looks like you picked up Idaho, Mississippi and Alabama - is that right?

You see the screenie as it is the one in the middle w/ Idaho, Mississippi, and Alabama as part of France. I just didn't label it as clearly as I should have.

very impressive, also two thumbs up to your writing style - a pleasure to read!

Would it help with your diplomatic resource constraints to attack larger nations? It takes as many diplomats to DOW Russia as Hedjaz, after all......

CRUSH THE BRITS! THEY MAKE GOOD CHOCLATE! Take the chocolate and ruin their fun by making sloppy music!

Ah, la perfide Albion. Soon you'll get a chance to show them that their wooden wall won't be worth anything. :D

Also, I'll keep your Russia strategy in mind in case I end up fighting them with Prussia or Austria or the like. Maybe if Napoleon had used something like that back in 1812...

Projekt 919: Making Ole' Miss win is going to take a lot of rigging... :D
Thanks for the heads up on Southern cuisine. I am curious if you can elaborate with example the differences between the different dialects you mentioned.

Upper Southern: Can Y'all Pass the Gumbo and the Sweet Potatoe Pie?
Middle Southern: Can Y'all Pass the Gumbo and that Sweet Potater Pie?
Deep Southern: Can Y'all Folks Pass that gumbo and some Sweet Potater Pie with Fixins?
Old Southern: Can Y'all Kindly Pass that Gumbo and a slice of the Sweet Potatoe Pie?
Texan: Get me a Helpin of Gumbo and a cold Beer!

Sub_dialect:Cajun: ???????????

Great AAR, very fun to read.

I hope to see more but i suspect Zep has taken a few days off to get rid of his crazies after killing off fourteen bazillion rebels. In time i am sure the shaking and uncontrollable finger twitching will subside somewhat.

This is poor madness (okay at first I wanted to wrote This is madness..and so on:D). Also you do not have enough time to conquer the world without truce-breaking.
EDIT: also the less jingoism support you have the less wargoals you can have in a war(I recall that it is about 3 for 10 % jingo)

Last edited: