• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Magzz

Private
5 Badges
Mar 22, 2015
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Chapter 1 - Coup D'Etat

On a dark, quiet night of 26th December 1897 Napoléon V arrived in Paris. Militaristic and imperialist circles, togehter with French chief of staff - Raoul Le Mouton de Boisdeffre, prepared the ground for coup, which will change the France and world. Many gendarmerie and army posts were secretly mobilised, and waiting for the call to action. After 5:00 AM everything was over; Félix Faure, president of France was arrested with ministers and put into home arrest.

2qxxky9.png

after the coup

Jules Méline, french prime minister joined the monarchists, he will become the minister of agriculture. Gendarmerie also arrested several officers, who would eventually have power to stop the coup and influence the army. Their names were put on a special list, which was prepared by Raoul Le Mouton de Boisdeffre.
The coup was now over, and ran surprisingly easly. Even if there were forces that could resist, they were too weak and afraid. The only shots that were heard that night fell at the Hotel des Arts, where General Joseph Brugere decided to defend himself to death. However, after a short exchange of fire, he surrendered.

14twsx1.jpg

Napoleon V

Napoléon V secured the power in his hands, but how will French society react? And even if they support him, how will the Foreign Powers react? Germany, United Kingdom, Italy and Russia might decide to send a military intervention, and France was too weak to fight on their own.
At noon, around 12:00 AM Napoléon V made a speech at Place de la Concorde. He had a difficult task; bring people closer to him and at the same time not give foreign powers, in particular Germany, a reason to intervene. During speech he was saying about Dreyfuss Affair, incompability of French government, and the poor state of industry, agriculture and military.
After the end of speech, new emperor screamed, with his all power of voice: "Viva la France". The crowd began to repeat this and other patriotic shouts, and even if there were many skepticals, they didn't have a choice, and were carried by a wave of enthusiasm.
But the Germans were furious over the last events. They called France and Napoleon "a biggest threat to Europe" and wanted an intervention. Also Italy warned France against any "ill-considered moves". But then, the British queen, Victoria, decided to change the rules of game and send a telegram to Napoleon saying: "Welcome in the European family of monarchs."
Why the queen decided to take such a radical step? Well, the naval arms race between UK and German Empire was just starting, and war clouds began to gather over Europe. Britain needed a ally on land, and France, even if now in chaos, was the only option.
So the kaiser was furious, once again. Now he called Britain a "warmongers", but he couldn't really do anything. And that was the end of year 1897; a monarchy restored in France, with Napoleon V as a head of state. Now France slowly begins a road to restore the former glory, and seek the revenge on Germany.

Last edited:
Well that's interesting. One hopes it us tgird time lucky for this Napoleon to be the one who finally leave the throne to an heir and not go into exile .

Sounds interesting. Nice teasing prologue. Looking forward to your game type/description summary to see what the variant and/or setup is. :)

PS: all I know about the mod is what I just read on the wiki, which is pretty brief.

Last edited:
Well that's interesting. One hopes it us tgird time lucky for this Napoleon to be the one who finally leave the throne to an heir and not go into exile .

Napoleon V likes to say that his wife is France. Well, that's romantic, but his child needs to be a human.

Sounds interesting. Nice teasing prologue. Looking forward to your game type/description summary to see what the variant and/or setup is. :)

PS: all I know about the mod is what I just read on the wiki, which is pretty brief.

Thank you! What I can say about IMPERIUM is that it has several shortcomings, and lack events, but all war events triggers perfectly, its great advantage lies in the monumentality.

Last edited:
Chapter 2 - Reorganizing of Country

On 30th December 1897, Napoleon V oficially entered the Elysee Palace, now renamed as "Elysee Napoleon", just like in times of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Napoleon sat down deep in a large armchair, and started a conversation with his future prime minister; Édouard Drumont (well known antisemite).
Drumont poured a glass of red wine for the emperor and said: "It was a tough week, Your Majesty. But now its the end". Napoleon
took a sip of wine, and said calmly: "You are wrong my dear, it's only the begenning."

So what are the plans of the Emperor for the next months? Let's see:

- Creating new industrial zones, especially in the south.
- Calming down internal unrest.
- Reviveving French foreign trade.
- Establishing of a new government (Napoleon is an emperor, but he know that he can't rule alone).
- Initiating a foreign diplomatic offensive, with the help of new foreign minister, Max Régis.
- Improving the infrastructure in country.
- Intelligence actions in Germany.

2enw6u0.jpg

Situation after the coup

fn4wic.jpg
fn4wic.jpg

A new cabinet, the right hand of emperor:

Edouard Drumont - A great organisator and speaker, but also a very loyal man. He is known for his antisemitic political views, and Napoleon
was afraid that this would be problematic in future, but Drumont promissed that he will end with this rhetoric, for the higher good of France. Anyway, he is watched and he know this.

Max Regis - Very intelligent, charismatic and hard-working, also known for his antisemitic views, he is aggressive during discussions, but that's an
advantage in his new position - a foreign minister. He was also appointed as head of reconstructed and reorganized Deuxième Bureau (Intelligence Agency)

Paul Déroulede - One of the biggest friends of Napoleon, a man who in a few months paralyzed the French security services and contributed to the success of the coup.

Raoul Le Mouton de Boisdeffre
- He seems to be a quiet and calm old man, but what a mind he is! He dragged the much of officer's corps and army to Napoleon's side, and now he is the head of the French Armed Forces, but it is planned to divide the navy and army.

On 1st January 1898 Napoleon V had meet with officer's corps in Elysee Napoleon. Emperor made a speech in which he say:

"Gentelmen, it's good to see you all here. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for showing loyalty for me, but most importantly, for France. A French Army is
is a pillar of our security and stability. I know that some of you want to march on Berlin within a week. And that's good, because patriotism and morale are one of the most important things for officers.
But I must make it clear: we will not see our flag over the Reichstag in this, next or even five years. Our former, democratic leaders left our country in bad shape, phisical and mental. We will need many years to make France strong again. But believe me, one day our hard work will pay off."

It occurs to me all this is happening at around the same time as The Dreyfuss Affair irl. Though I imagine that might proceed somewhat differently given all this.

It occurs to me all this is happening at around the same time as The Dreyfuss Affair irl. Though I imagine that might proceed somewhat differently given all this.

That's right. The emperor decided that he would apply the principle do not ask, do not tell, and left the trial in the hands of the army. Cowardly? perhaps. But taking a specific position in this matter could have unpleasant consequences.

A home made mod?

I only edited few ministers and changed the flag.

third time's a charm

But there will be no second Waterloo! :D

Chapter 3 - Trade and research (January - May 1898)

After New Year's Eve Napoleon and his new government started working at full speed. The Emperor wanted to improve industrial captability, but it looks that France need a new technologies at first. But nothing is lost, and he decided that is a good occasion to revive trade and give our scientists new tasks.

2e0jz1c.jpg

New trade contract

2eg9t10.jpg

I heard that kaiser wanted us to be isolated

e7fl77.jpg

And more!

On 25th February Napoleon visited the Institut polytechnique de Grenoble, where our scientists are working on new technologies, useful as for people and country.

2n711ls.jpg

Institut polytechnique de Grenoble

10gjyu9.jpg

Current research

Even if we can't expand our industry now, we can already feel the effects of work of Emperor:

11rvd69.jpg

World News:

2wfs2ae.jpg

5th January - Mobilisation of Finnish Army, well.. that's weird

m8cy11.jpg

20th April - Rebelion in Marocco

I am wondering if Napoleon will seek any foreign adventures to burnish his credentials.
Seeking Germany as the enemy though seems very wise.

Does France have any formal alliances at present?