• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oct 18, 2004

Viva Italia!

Here begins the tale of Sardinia-Piedmont.

The game is VIP 0.4B level very hard/normal with LM+ AI assistance mod. Due to a lack of a naval AI, transports carry 2 divisions.

The AI assistance mod gives naval tech, rgo and pop growth modifiers to the AI.

Here we have S.P. Situated in the north of Italy. In the south lies fellow Italians. We wish to be united under one common country. However the whole of Europe is aware of this. Everyone is allied to somebody else to the Spanish/French/Austrians. Or guarenteed by other great powers also. For the moment we sit and wait.

The key to unification will be our claims across the whole of Italy. The problem will be how to obtain them.

Italy is blessed with some wonderful resources. Sulphur,silk,iron and coal are all nearby. We spy jealously over the border at what our neighbours hold.

January 36 The budget set up we devolve the useless Aristocrats and Capitalists. Our researchers choose Idealism as the first project. Culture is the way to great prestige.

The AI assistance event fires and we don't back down.
The Greater the foe,The Greater the honor

Unfortunately for Sardinia latest Army thinking decides to go Jominian in attitude.
This will cause more problems in war due to the lower organisation however we will have an initial morale advantage.

Feb 36 Once the budget settles we are making £32/day.

March 36 Belgium and Netherlands conclude their war. Unfortunately Belgium becomes a Dutch satellite.

November 36 Sassari a small island of the West coast now produces Precious metals. We expand the rgo immediately.

August 37 Idealism is complete we research Positivism for 10% less education costs.

Shortly afterwards Neokantian Idealism fires...
for a whole 17PP :mad:

Sardinia was a hive of industrialisation factories were somewhat small.
They would remain open to keep the workers from leaving the country until real money earners could be opened.

May 39 we have £30,000 in the bank, we buy good healthcare before it becomes alot more expensive. We incur only £1,500 debt which is soon paid off.

November 39 France defends the Egyptians and DOW's the Ottomans, however this brings in the UK and Empire against France. :eek:

December 40 Ottomans finally succeed, the Egyptians are made a satellite state losing all Ottoman claimed land.

January 41 we see a breakthrough.The Papal States are allied to the other Italian countries, but no great powers. A succesful war could give Sardinia huge prestige and Italy.

We mobilise our troops immediately.

November 41 we are ready. Our troops still held in reserve we send our diplomats.

Sardinia's 'weakness' has all the alliance members joining. Yippee.
We deploy our fresh reserve cavalry and see the enemies faces stop laughing.

Italy lies at our feet!​
Onward to Victory!​

Yet another AAR by cookie monster.

There sure are a lot of provs in Italy in Vicky, aren't there? Coming back from HOI2, it is truly staggering.

What a lovely line of Italian states all ready for you to annex!

Glory and honor to the House of Savoy!

Some say that the coming century will belong to the Germans, some say the Russians, and others - fools! - say the English-speaking peoples. But no! It will belong to Italy!

Unify or Die!

Viva Italia!

The fresh cavalry deployed waiting for their leader on the border. Carlo Alberta arrives a mediocre aristocrat by reputation. Somehow he escaped the rich class purge.

Under a leader and high morale the cavalry gallop into Parma and Massa.

The enemy couldn't bear to fight fellow Italians, surrendering through lack of morale. Northern Italians quickly unite.

The unification of the south would have to be temporarily delayed. Two Sicilies were mounting an assault on the capital. The Cavalry set out for home.

Soon arriving to turn the battle in our favour. Also here can be seen the Ottoman and B.India control of southern France.

The battle was soon won and the troops boarded transports for The Two Sicilies. Off the coast a small naval battle was fought and won. The troops unloaded on to the coast of Napoli.

In our hour of need. Farmers demand compensation.
We tell them. Get lost!

Napoli secured we now land at Rome.

July 1842. Napoli under full control we have an important event.
Celebrations everywhere!​
We are born.​
Italy!​

Viva Italia!

------------------------
Short and sweet. I hope nobody wants to see the battles. 10 cavalry divisions against maximum 2 divisions is hardly edge of the seat excitement.

As for restrictions.

I like to think I play a fair game apart for 'bloodless wars'. I will try to keep inside a sphere of influence Europe and unciv's beware. If needs be (industry supply problems) I would go prestige whoring against defenceless countries.

I'm not actually a big warmongerer that Japan game although enjoyable 4 hours for a 1-2 year war is not my idea of relaxing gaming. That game took over a month and I played it alot per day.

What I'm looking for is Europe under my heel, some overseas states with factories. Immigration in Italy and overseas. A fully migrated 2 state industrialised Italy. A vast 'Spearmint Green' colonial empire. With BB less than oh say 30 by the game end.

Seems kinda funny to be called a Sardinia-Piedmont AAR when it only lasted 2 updates.

Oh yeah. Always wanted to ask.

What's it like loading these AAR's on a modem?

From my modem days, pretty hellish if there are more than two or three updates on a single page, but until I had broadband I generally had more patience for that sort of thing.

Only two updates indeed, but why waste time?

What's up with you and short AARs? :confused:

2 questions

1. when you said 'mobilize' you meant build right? in other words the 10 cav divisions were not in existence and mobilized, rather they were build from sratch.

2. 'Birth of Italy' - I have bought Vicky as soon as it came out, but it did not pull me away from HOI for long, as a result I have hardly played it. But I do remember reading about prior unification problems for Italy and Germany. Are the problems fixed for italian unification (as it seems from your AAR)?

gunboat said:
1. when you said 'mobilize' you meant build right? in other words the 10 cav divisions were not in existence and mobilized, rather they were build from sratch.
When you look back you will see that is a build screen for military. So yes I built 10 new cavalry divisions.

gunboat said:
2. 'Birth of Italy' - I have bought Vicky as soon as it came out, but it did not pull me away from HOI for long, as a result I have hardly played it. But I do remember reading about prior unification problems for Italy and Germany. Are the problems fixed for italian unification (as it seems from your AAR)?
I play VIP 4. Which is basically Vicky on Steroids. More challenging with modified/better events. The vanilla Vicky 1.03c is still a great game with Italian and German unification events working. However not always will the countries unify, bad luck and fate sometimes enters here.
With patience Vicky can be a very rewarding game.
elbasto said:
mmm... who will be next? Austria in order to get Venetto back, France who is weak thanks to the intervention of the Ottomans and their British allies or you're going to wait and build up your economy??
You want spoilers!!! Well you'll just have to wait and see :p However Italy is not superpower we still have large industrialisation to carryout.

Money,Money,Money

Viva Italia!

July 42 Although we are now called Italy we still have to teach the Papal States their rightful leader. The war continues as the cavalry take over control.

Dec 42 With enemy forces under constant retreat we begin peace negotiations. No more Italians need to die.

Peace was arranged with the Papal states losing all but the capital. We receive 0 badboy due to the satellisation.

Italy was united... for the most part.

With the new lands the budget was steadily becoming healthier. Although the war was not cheap the bloodletting was small.

The Prestige gain was quite delightful.

With the recent annexation came lots of factories. Not very good ones however a ready converted workforce of craftsmen is never a bad thing.

January 43 With the country in need of capital we looked for a source of wealth. We found one
Switzerland​

Our troops quickly head over the border. We must capture the capital before the Swiss mobilise. But the Swiss just before losing the battle for the capital complete the mobilisation of reserves.
We abandon the battle and take over the rest of Switzerland.

With the Swiss dividing their forces they were overcome by ''Fire and maneouvre''. We accepted peace for what we really needed.
Money.

Swiss indemnities were found to be bringing in £1000/month.

Our unification still gave militancy problems. Italians were leaving for New York in small numbers.

July 44 found Italy in the following postion.

a ready converted workforce of craftsmen is never a bad thing.

How true!

Sorry to say...

Tomorrow I leave Munich for a 2 month long contract in sunny Shannon on Ireland's west coast.

Sorry to say that this AAR will be on hold. :mad: I will however finish the AAR, but I can't make any promises as for when I can update, unless I can find a local internet cafe which is very convenient due to a likely 50hour+ working week.

All the best guys and gals, thanks for reading.

cookie monster :)

Hey, where's the Sabaud coat of arms in the Kingdom of Italy flag at the beginning of the chapter? Good work...