• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Imagine a board game version of a paradox GS game, but able to do more and go further than any actual board game because a PC would handle all math, you could automate certain loops at will, combat could work like on PC, etc. This, to me, would offer a great multiplayer experience and tactile gameplay that could really pay off. If it's set in space you could have 3D space combat too, immersive peace conferences or battles, or even asymmetric gameplay where one player runs the government and the other runs the army with detailed combat.

There are a lot of options.
Sure, but you forgot to mention the parts where VR comes to play.

I don't think traditional PDS games can be properly represented on, or even need any VR. It goes for almost all GSGs and RTS games.

The only exception would be if VR consisted of a large room with period-accurate architecture, with a large table on which a big game map is placed, and you are allowed to pick armies and items and move them around by hand (kinda like that great little game called Tabletop Simulator)...And even in that scenario, keyboard and mouse are far, far better options.

The bare minimum way to think of it in my opinion would just be: Are Paradox games better with multiple monitors? No, they don't support it and stretching the screen wouldn't help. But what if they designed for that and you could have stats and multiple battle fields, a monitor that jumped to where enemies were advancing, a monitor just showing the global economy or budget, etc. In VR you can have a dozen monitors, arranged in a grid or around you. Starting from that premise I can imagine really basic ways VR could add to the experience.

This. If PDX or anyone else is to port something to VR, it should be more like the experience of being a general in front of a table with a map, being able to walk around and maybe even more pieces/counters around on the map if they had gloves or motion detection cameras or whatever they use. this could be useful if implemented right for certain games. Simulating a massive globe in front of your face just sounds weird.

Imagine a board game version of a paradox GS game, but able to do more and go further than any actual board game because a PC would handle all math
We have those. There's an adaptaion of the board game Europa Universalis that's in its fourth installment, an industrialisation-era game called Victoria 2 everyone waits for the sequel to, Crusader Kings 2, a very violent medieval soap opera, and Hearts of Iron IV, which I think they make while drunk in Stockholm bars because it has the Holy Roman Empire in the 40's and a second American civil and all sorts of other wacky WWII alt-history scenarios. They all have this system where the computer enforces all the rules and all you need to do is give commands, and the game board is rendered in full 3D on your screen. You'll like them.

Edit: I suppose you could wait for the actual board game adaptations and then play them using Tabletop Simulator.

Last edited:
VR could potentially be useful if we got a RPG where we play as some sort of leader. Then, we could have nice conference with our companions where they clearly point things, tokens etc. on nice map.

Then again, Paradox is primarily known for Grand Strategy games and not for their RPGs. It would be akin to promoting VR devices: 'now you can see Google Earth... in VR!' I don't think many people would care.

PS. also, I think VR market is niche as hell. I mean... I don't recall seeing any major company making a game exclusive for VR devices. (i mean: like in 'built around quirks of VR devices in order to Enhanced gaming experiences, storytelling etc.') Sure, there are some games being converted for VR, but for now noone serious is bothering to make 'VR games'.

VR could potentially be useful if we got a RPG where we play as some sort of leader. Then, we could have nice conference with our companions where they clearly point things, tokens etc. on nice map.

Then again, Paradox is primarily known for Grand Strategy games and not for their RPGs. It would be akin to promoting VR devices: 'now you can see Google Earth... in VR!' I don't think many people would care.

PS. also, I think VR market is niche as hell. I mean... I don't recall seeing any major company making a game exclusive for VR devices. (i mean: like in 'built around quirks of VR devices in order to Enhanced gaming experiences, storytelling etc.') Sure, there are some games being converted for VR, but for now noone serious is bothering to make 'VR games'.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/546560/HalfLife_Alyx/

https://www.ea.com/news/medal-of-honor-above-beyond-announcement

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916840/The_Walking_Dead_Saints__Sinners/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916840/The_Walking_Dead_Saints__Sinners/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/...-splinter-cell-assassins-creed-vr-game-report

https://screenrant.com/stormland-game-trailer-oculus-rift/

This. If PDX or anyone else is to port something to VR, it should be more like the experience of being a general in front of a table with a map, being able to walk around and maybe even more pieces/counters around on the map if they had gloves or motion detection cameras or whatever they use. this could be useful if implemented right for certain games. Simulating a massive globe in front of your face just sounds weird.

We have those. There's an adaptaion of the board game Europa Universalis that's in its fourth installment, an industrialisation-era game called Victoria 2 everyone waits for the sequel to, Crusader Kings 2, a very violent medieval soap opera, and Hearts of Iron IV, which I think they make while drunk in Stockholm bars because it has the Holy Roman Empire in the 40's and a second American civil and all sorts of other wacky WWII alt-history scenarios. They all have this system where the computer enforces all the rules and all you need to do is give commands, and the game board is rendered in full 3D on your screen. You'll like them.

Edit: I suppose you could wait for the actual board game adaptations and then play them using Tabletop Simulator.

1. Have you used VR? All PC VR headsets except the Gear/Go use controllers that are tracked by cameras or use laser array stations. The globe could be something as simple as having a huge map that you can shrink into a globe if you like to survey the general theaters while you handle the economy.

2. I'm saying imagine a board game's interaction scheme, those interactions work for grand strategy, but now without the limitations of not having a computer. Obviously Paradox games are digital already, I'm just saying this could work and combine both. Obviously it wouldn't stop there, it's just one jumping off point.

I’ve always thought that valve liked to consider themselves as innovators. Both Half Life games raised the bar for FPS. The story of the first game and the AI of the soldiers was nothing ever seen before. Half Life 2 had the gravity gun etc.

Valve releasing a Half Life game again makes me think they have a few tricks up their sleeve in which they can raise the bar again ... otherwise they wouldn’t do it.

Why would you want to shrink the map to a globe, though? Just zooming out a flat map lets you see the whole map at a glance, and is also more immersing as you're playing as a WWII commander-in-chief.

While i am all for VR, i also don't really see the usability for pdox Games
Sure i would buy a first person ck singleplayer VRgame where you rule your country from the Position of your char instead of map-only.. hell they could implement intrigue-roleplay, actionpaced duels (swordfight!!!) and even a tactic or actionpaced battle game for VR if your ruler is with the army... but how much would that cost... and how many would really buy it
Pdox is not even supporting proper multimonitor support :-(

Why would you want to shrink the map to a globe, though? Just zooming out a flat map lets you see the whole map at a glance, and is also more immersing as you're playing as a WWII commander-in-chief.

That was just a suggestion, like if you’re turning your focus to non map things like the production screen or diplomacy screens you fold the map into a globe and have it on one side while you mess with the other stuff. When you’re commanding units you could use it like one of those war boards in WWII.

While i am all for VR, i also don't really see the usability for pdox Games
Sure i would buy a first person ck singleplayer VRgame where you rule your country from the Position of your char instead of map-only.. hell they could implement intrigue-roleplay, actionpaced duels (swordfight!!!) and even a tactic or actionpaced battle game for VR if your ruler is with the army... but how much would that cost... and how many would really buy it
Pdox is not even supporting proper multimonitor support :-(

If it’s first person and made super accessible I think that would do really well. You’re talking about a game where you get to be a king with a real kingdom. It would be a hit with VR people and so it’s just a matter of how many people have VR. The Index, Rift S, and Quest are all sold out for months, so the market is growing.

That being said I’m the type who like the games to be as detailed as possible so a game that also used VR as a way to let the player consume and interact with a lot more information is something I’d hope for.

The only limitation is the imagination of those considering the prospect. It's possible and in time it will happen. I just hope VR grows as a market in the next year so Paradox gives it a chance.

I play PDX games on my laptop when idling due to mobility like traveling in trains. When at home, I usually got other things to do than evading comets heading my way because of a stability drop.

Last edited:
Half Life Alyx has set the scene on fire and every major headset is sold out, even the Index. It's not the only game too. Medal of Honor is coming, two walking dead games are coming out in the next 4 months in VR, Ubisoft is making a game and has made a full team to work on it, tomorrow a record breaking physics puzzle action game Boneworks comes out, the frontiers of VR are unrecognizable from when it started 4 years ago. Even from when I got into VR last year. It's not just about the novelty of being in the game.

The only genre it's missing is the classic PC genres, PDX essentials like civilization games, city builders, and grand strategy games.

I think there is a lot more potential than some people see. VR is maturing rapidly, games are shown off in development every month doing things we had thought were impossible or years off. Medal of Honor's next installment is VR and it comes out in March-April, it's a huge game with a staff of a hundred people putting multiple years of work into it. We've seen multiple RTSes come out this year, too. It's just a matter of time before Civ, City Building, and Grand Strategy enter the medium of VR. It could be a game where you play the president/premier/prime minister in first person, making phone calls, drawing orders on maps, and giving orders with your actual voice. It could be a huge globe in front of you and the kind of intuitive and tactile UI seen recently in Asgard's Wrath and Stormlands. Valve's basic physics and interaction system in The Lab lets me write as well in VR as I do in real life. New headsets like the index are comfortable and clear enough that I can spend hours in them reading, fighting, and working with no problems.

The only limitation is the imagination of those considering the prospect. It's possible and in time it will happen. I just hope VR grows as a market in the next year so Paradox gives it a chance.

What would VR actually do for the games in terms of UI that is functionally better than the absracted ledgers, tables, charts, etc that presents information. Like, if I spend half the game looking at a map and a family tree and the other half searching for people via query tool, what does VR do that the status quo can't?

These would all work a lot better in VR.

"Wouldn't it be great if you could play Blood Bowl, a table top game, in a digital space, with people across the world. You could even customize your VR avatar and emote through it"
"Or I could just connect with some local guys who play Blood Bowl, and do that instead. I would even bring beers and weed."

I’ve said it before but what non cosmetic improvements would vr bring
It’s whole thing is that it removes one of the obstacles between the player and avatar
The problem is that in the 3 genre mentioned there is no avatar be seems to be an amazing advancement for 1st person games but with limited application outside do that

I’ve said it before but what non cosmetic improvements would vr bring
It’s whole thing is that it removes one of the obstacles between the player and avatar
The problem is that in the 3 genre mentioned there is no avatar be seems to be an amazing advancement for 1st person games but with limited application outside do that

Bingo. The manifestation of an avatar in a game where the avatar's space interactions are non existant...why do that? What is the gain? Immersion? Man, I'm already going through a heavily abstracted layer to even be able to manage the damn realms, whether in space or France circa 894...I don't need to be manifested in a 3d space to then interact with the same UI systems I would have access to anyway...like...I just...

How can I even see where my pipe and beer are when playing this way? How can I half watch football and half play CKII this way?

It's lunacy in search of solving a decadent problem.