• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree. You need a period of recuperation, and then I think you should pursue a policy against sulpher and silk, taking what cotton opportunity offers. Sulpher as the priority, I think, as that will be directly impair the efforts of your ... competitors to resist you in the future. Silk as secondary as clerks effect research in the later stages, and that is another useful area to impair your opponents, by preventing them from increasing their research potential as much.

Wars for those two should, I would hope, net you some cotton provinces anyway as a side-effect. Then it is a matter of clearing up.

Looks like getting the cotton monopoly to prevent production will be impossible/meaningless . . . http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - all cotton produced between now and when I took it over would just be stockpiled ready for purchase whenever anybody required it.

So, it will take time to work through the stockpiles. In effect it pushes the clock back on the plan, but does not totally invalidate it.

Enjoying this even more. Congrats on netting your first monopoly, at least for now. I think the others have given the advice I would, but definitely sulfer is the best route to follow first. And you might think ahead as you go to war next time, picking up some future monopoly provinces as you work on sulfer and silk.

Following on from the successful attempt to achieve complete dominance over the worlds dye resources, greater ambitions were announced. The Peace Trade Act of 1845 declared that sulphur as a prime requirement for the arms trade should now come under the umbrella of the British empire, ending once and for all the arms trade.

The Industrial Trade Restrictions Act of 1845 added cotton and silk to dye as resources that trade would be forbidden in, however trade would be allowed for upto 10 years while the economy adjusted.

The government rose poor taxes temporarily to 100% in order to repay the debts accrued from the Empire's recent wars. Within a year the debts were repaid and taxes were cut back down to 50%. This was also a time of social upheaval as labourers and farmers within the UK became clerks and craftsmen.

In November 1845, the nation of Ireland was created as a satellite, the government declaring that its fish, cattle and grain were no longer of interest to the immediate needs of the empire.

After just a year, peace was shattered as Burma decided to start hostility against Europeans, this could not be tolerated especially next to our Indian territory and after a few swift battles, the entire uncivilised nation was annexed.

Persia had accepted English reforms in 1836 but despite our teaching them many of the sciences, nothing had been heard for 11 years from them and they continued to trade in silk and cotton. War was declared and poor taxes raised to 100% again but despite the deployment of 32 native divisions, the war took more than a year in order to bring the full nation under British control. With most of his nation under British control, the Persian ruler Nasir ud-Din decided to cease all reforms infuriating the government. The next time ud-Din was seen his head was on a spike in Tehran following Persia's annexation.

-------------------

Summary:
Date: September 16 1848
No debt, cash: 314,507. Daily balance +135 with all taxes at 50%
Industrial power: 127 (fourth). Prussia 210, France 161, USA 153, Russia 101
Not trading any military-related goods or silk, but still selling cotton.
Nations annexed (all game): 6
Cotton: 14/81 (+9)
Sulphur: 5/39 (nc)
Silk: 1/29 (+1)

Yes, sulpher makes lots of sense as a choke-point.

It shouldn't really be necessary to stop the arms trade now... without dye, all the worlds armies will have to wear the same uniform :wacko:

Makes it very difficult to prosecute a good war when you can't tell who to shoot at!

Oh, and with all the dye the British Empire now has the most crucial monopoly of all... on flags! Without those none of the other nations will be able to remember where their claims are :D

Diabolical genius. Love it.

Jon Young said:
It shouldn't really be necessary to stop the arms trade now... without dye, all the worlds armies will have to wear the same uniform :wacko:

Makes it very difficult to prosecute a good war when you can't tell who to shoot at!

Oh, and with all the dye the British Empire now has the most crucial monopoly of all... on flags! Without those none of the other nations will be able to remember where their claims are :D

Diabolical genius. Love it.

Or they all keep surrending to each other because they only have white flags.

Michaeru said:
Or they all keep surrending to each other because they only have white flags.

Not if the UK monopolises cotton and fabric too. :p

It all belongs to mother Ru...I mean, England!

Or will very soon. ;)

I tried this a few hours ago. Only difference is that i destroyed (close then delete) all the dye RGOs. Then loaded up Hawaii turned off fog of war and felt deliciously evil as a new dark age settled over the entire world.

Wars were fought without any reinforcements available and soon reached 100% exhaustion but no nation wanted to give up. Industrialization could never take off in any nation. As populations grew the few manufactured goods that were still produced. Steel, lumber, cement etc rose to new heights in terms of cost.

It was not nice however to see the world make a fantastic rebound in 1880 something where most nations economies grew by 100% each year. :mad:

Small update, big potential?

---------------

Previously, while our Royal Army was engaged in Burma and Persia, the French had declared war on protestant Switzerland. Not willing to accept this abuse of our co-religionist, our mighty government threatened them with war so the French indulged in their national past-time and gave in. Sissies!

Knowing they were vastly inferior, the French sent many diplomats to us to build relations and finally offered a Full Alliance, which our gracious nation accepted. But could our historic rivals be trusted?

-----------------

With the peace treaty with the US having expired, their role as the leading producer of cotton could no longer be accepted. They still clearly had not been taught enough of a lesson so war was declared once more. Their independence was guaranteed by the French, but they had chosen to be our allies.

But we should have known better than to trust the French. The dishonoured our alliance and declared war on us, they would have to be taught a severe lesson. With two other Great Powers fighting us, the Spanish (allies of France) decree now would be their best chance to fight us, despite us showing no belligerence to them. They don't even have a single province producing the resources Queen Victoria Branson is after for her glorious Virgin Empire.

How will our glorious nation fare in a war against 3 different Great Powers?

----------------

The first stage of the war is quickly fought in Africa. Troops leave Persia and armed with British Dyes set about ensuring that all French colonial flags claims are turned to a white flag (suiting them) but with red cross a red diagonal cross and blue triangles then placed on it.

ColonialFlagChanges.jpg

French flags provide no resistance to British dyes

Always nice to gobble up claims.

Well they certainly were quick to gang up on you. Make quick work of them, I say. :D