• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok.I'll shoot: We've got to do something about Sweden owning Norway. Even in 1836 Norway had their own constitution, parliament, prime minister and an army. I see no reason not to make Norway a Swedish satellite from the start...

If it (Finland) isn't independent in VIP, there'll be couple of good events for the end of the 19th century, when Russia tried to make Finland more Russian.

And again, the own Finnish currency and stuff like happened at the time of the game.

Maybe Finland could get a position of a satellite at some time, when it gets most of its autonomy, but would lose that position when Russia tries to russify Finland.

Originally posted by Elmokki
If it (Finland) isn't independent in VIP, there'll be couple of good events for the end of the 19th century, when Russia tried to make Finland more Russian.

And again, the own Finnish currency and stuff like happened at the time of the game.

Maybe Finland could get a position of a satellite at some time, when it gets most of its autonomy, but would lose that position when Russia tries to russify Finland.

Excellent points, I support all of them, but:

Please, head to VIP - Russia thread;)

Originally posted by Grosshaus
Excellent points, I support all of them, but:

Please, head to VIP - Russia thread;)

Finland still belongs to Scandinavia, but well, maybe this suits better to Russia ^^.

Originally posted by Elmokki
Finland still belongs to Scandinavia, but well, maybe this suits better to Russia ^^.

Most of those events you mentioned, like giving Finland autonomy or taking it back, are Russian events.

Geographicly correct: no
Culturally correct: no
Gamewise more suitable: yes, yes, yes

Personally I think that *something* stronger than Satellite must be made for Norway at least. Ownership is bad, but I don't want to end up with the 5 year Kalmar Union situation again.

Originally posted by Havard
Ok.I'll shoot: We've got to do something about Sweden owning Norway. Even in 1836 Norway had their own constitution, parliament, prime minister and an army. I see no reason not to make Norway a Swedish satellite from the start...

But the problem is that Norway wasn´t allowed to have foreign politics. I wonder if it´s possible to simulate this in the game?
But if it isn´t I don´t think it should stop Norway from beeing a satellite, because it would make more sense than now.

How about making Norway a swedish dominion? Haven't played a dominion yet, but as far as I understand they're more or less internal autonomy. Foreign policy is dictated by the motherland.

Yes, I realise this is usually for colonies, but there's already a Texan event that makes them a dominion.

Methinks I'll head off and see what Canada can do as a dominion :)

Edit:
Played a wee bit as canada, and it seems to be a good solution. You can do anything you want, except declare wars. That can only be done on the mother nation. Dominion and alliance with sweden. Thus you have to dissolve the alliance, and declare war on them to become independent.

Could add an event every now and then giving you the option of declaring independence from your Swedeish oppressors, and let them have a corresponding event to see what they say. If all is well dissolve the union.

Zak

Last edited:
Originally posted by kullenius
Eh, no! Norway, Sweden and Denmark sums up to Scandinavia. The Nordic are Scandinavia plus Finland and Iceland.

I thought so before my teacher(s) thaught me to think differently.

I have heard that in 1856 Bible reading was allowed for the ordinary people and in the same year Sweden allowed other Christian denominations than the Church of Sweden but if someone with more knowledge of Swedish history could check up on the year and exactly what happened it might make for a pluralism increasing event and also increasing the importance of pluralism as an issue with the electorate.

suggested events

Here are some suggestions for events. Some of them may already be in (haven`t studied the db thoroughly) some of them might not fit the timeframe, Anyway I`m brainstorming here.

- Polar explorers Amundsen, Nansen, Andree &Nordenskjöld

- Opening of Skansen

- Building of Bodens fästning, triggers if Russia owns Tornio and builds lvl 2/3 rail there due to easier strategic troopmovements towards Sweden proper

- Banning domestic destillation Sweden leads to

- Introduction of the so called Stockholmssystemet predecessor to Systembolaget leads to

- Referendum on prohibition on alcoholic beverages

- Saccaromyces Carlsbergensis
Emil Hansen at Carlsberg manages to cultivate the Carlsberg yeast strain for even quality of the beer (1883)

- Brothers Ericson events
Nils
Trollhätte canal

John
Train race in England (ENG)
screw propeller patent 1836/38
construction of USS Monitor(US)
USS Baltimore transport remains to Swedew with full state honors (1889)

These are a few suggestions they will of course have to be fully researched. I`ll better get to it then;)

Originally posted by Havard

I'll submit to that. You were a Victoria beta-tester, right? What were the "arguments" the devs used to make Norway a completly integral part? I can easily as Sweden screw Norway royally, so that they have next to no industries when a supposedly war breaks out.

I'd still like to see Norway made a sattelitte in one of the upcoming official patches.

Originally posted by Galleblære
I'll submit to that. You were a Victoria beta-tester, right? What were the "arguments" the devs used to make Norway a completly integral part? I can easily as Sweden screw Norway royally, so that they have next to no industries when a supposedly war breaks out.

No own foreign policy was IIRC the main reason.

Originally posted by Grosshaus
No own foreign policy was IIRC the main reason.

Then they should have taken the "best of two evils", imo. Having some limied Norwegian diplomacy is better than having all the Norwegian resources and industry giving Sweden income, and use that to build up the Swedish industry.

Originally posted by Galleblære
Then they should have taken the "best of two evils", imo. Having some limied Norwegian diplomacy is better than having all the Norwegian resources and industry giving Sweden income, and use that to build up the Swedish industry.
and the swedish colonies... ;)