• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
JMS424 said:
So to be clear, Norway has to select surge both times now? Didnt it use to be just once?
Yes, I made it so that every event has to go your way or zilch

I have conquered Finland and Estonia...

The year is 1867 and i play as Sweden. I have conquered Finland and Estonia from Russia.

A couple of events fired and both Finland and Estonia are national provinces now. I also have Estonian as state culture, how can i get Finnish as state culture?

You don't.
Seek to put a Full Citizenship party in power.

Those events are a bit glitched. Sweden gets Estonian and Latvian cultures if it conquers the relevant provinces, but not Finnish if it conquers Finland. IMHO, it should be the contrary.

But the VIP team does not have the time to look into them as of yet, IIRC.

ohms_law said:
You don't.
Seek to put a Full Citizenship party in power.
Well, I would like to turn those finns into soldiers, not craftsmen.

Guess I'll have to edit the savegame then. Hope I don't mess up. :p

Mishgan said:
Those events are a bit glitched. Sweden gets Estonian and Latvian cultures if it conquers the relevant provinces, but not Finnish if it conquers Finland. IMHO, it should be the contrary.
It's been a long time since I've played Russia or Sweden but I always assumed that not giving Finnish culture to anyone other than Finland was intentional. There's a reason that the Russians/Soviet Union and Sweden have kept Finland either independent or as a satellite all of these years, after all.

Anyway, if you have a Full Citizenship party you can convert their pops to anything that you'd like. Granted "Finnish" units won't be national culture units, but that's not really too big of a deal. You could always use them just for replacements.

Finnish should be a swedish culture from the start since it was just about 20 years ago Sweden lost Finland.. 1809

Last edited:
To be fair, while it is indeed ahistorical to form Scandinavia, I think it was made far too hard now, not because it is "hard", but due to the small chance of "getting lucky".

Instead, I believe that rather than having to get all surge events, a Scandinavian country should occupy Berlin during both Schleswig wars in top of having to occupy at least one Austrian province during the Second War. While still very hard to achieve, it'd reduce the "random factor" by a lot.

V The King said:
To be fair, while it is indeed ahistorical to form Scandinavia, I think it was made far too hard now, not because it is "hard", but due to the small chance of "getting lucky".

Historical to form Scandinavia could very well have happened. It only took Sweden to help Denmark in the second war and the childless danish king would have named the Swedish king heir to the throne, making him king over three kingdoms and a state support for the Scandinism surge among the students and bourgeois.

That would have angered Russia, but if the lost the crimean war....

To twice occupy Berlin is not likely, Scandinavia would have formed if Sweden had showed unity with Denmark. A trigger should be that Sweden retake Åland

theFreeman said:
Finnish should be a swedish culture from the start since it was just about 20 years ago Sweden lost Finland..

Not to mention there would still be finnish (well, mienkiäli) speakers in the northwest.

For some strange reason you can only get finnish culture if you have formed Scandinavia. No Scandinavia, no additional culture, sorry.

Weird. Would've thought it would've made more sense that if Scandinavia did ever form, this would be due to a shared sense of identity between each of the Scandinavian cultures, and so would focus more on the Scandinavian cultures as opposed to foreign ones.

Perhaps this could be tweaked to allow for Sweden to get the additional culture (and remove it if Scandinavia is formed), if Finland is owned by them??

Considering Scandinavianism in the 19th C failed as a movement in part because there was no real support among the masses for closer union among the Scandinavian peoples into one state, one has to conclude that at least for several decades more people would have clung to their local identity than any supranational identity. If the differences between Northern and Southern Italians can persist (and have real political impacts) to this day after 140+ years of Italian unification, it is utopian to think that Swedes, Norwegians and Danes would all just happily identify as Scandinavians within a couple years. Especially given the centuries of squabbling between the three.

And functionally, it makes no difference whether you have all three as separate national cultures or were to merge them into one Scandinavian one, so there is no real gameplay reason to make the changes.

Of course, even if VIP does not do it, does not mean individual players can not make it for themselves. Just use one of the new user-defined cultures Revolutions added to create "Scandinavian" and make your own event to convert all Danes, Norwegians and Swedes to that user-made culture, make the national culture that new culture, and you are done. About 5 mins of modding to do.

But it is not something we at VIP would feel comfortable adding, since the suggestion does seem to fly in the face of plausible history of the period. At a time when Norwegian nationalism is rising more strongly each year, the idea that the Norwegian nationalists would be happy in a Scandinavian union just sounds very hollow.

Converting all the separate cultures into Scandinavian would severely weaken Scandinavia's industrial capacity.
At least with three different cultures (I believe it is 5 or 6, when Sweden conquers the Baltic and Finland? :confused: ) this means a six province state can have 36 Craftsmen and Clerks belonging to different cultures.

And I've done just that in Victoria. Sweden can be an industrial power under a state economy, if you manage all the separate populations and in theory one can create 3-6 factories in most states in Scandinavia. ;) Now getting the resources to keep these factories running is another problem altogether :cool: :D
But that's a problem easily fixed by colonizing Germany and/or Russia :)

Germany seems to always end up annexing Denmark in my games, is there any way to stop the Germans from being so belligerent against the Danes?

First of all... do you mean Prussia, or actual GERMANY?? Secondly... which war?? The first or second war over Schleswig-Holstein question?

Also, of course there are ways to tackle this - AI file tweaking being just one of them that instantly comes to mind.