• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
aprof said:
We've been having some brainstorming among the VIP beta team about economic matters, and it's led me to take some flavor events I wrote for the USA and turn them into more universal versions as random events.

I'd have the USA flavor events be removed from the game, replaced by these. Perhaps some of the specific Labor Strike events would be rewritten and replaced with similar random events as well.

All of these are designed to deal with affecting pop_consciousness and pop_militancy.

I'm thinking there will be a second version of these which will be aimed at establishing reasons for implementing "low" level reforms set to fire around 1900.

I have ideas for some other areas, such as health_care and wages.

These won't be in v03, the deadline for new events has passed, if we find they work, we'll include them in v04.

There are some things that I don't like about this, as example:

1) It should cost something to change the reform level;
2) Not, even by close, all the nations in the world a Welfare State Economy, especially the conservatives and reactionaries;
3) Uncivs shouldn't receive those; especially China
4) A Laissez-Faire governement would NEVER make use of this reforms, in RL an ingame terms;

So the trigger should be something more elaborate, like linking to ideology in power, or if it isn't laissez-faire, if the conscioness or plurality is high, cause if you have a low consc population they wouldn't care about it (after all they are happy), and there is a lot of other minor things like some inventions, or if there is a syndicate or not.

Thanks, p. Just the sort of suggestions I need. Most of this can be worked into the triggers. :) Though not sure how to reflect plurality or consciousness yet.

I may try some second versions with different action_x's for laissez-faire and conservative governments as factory fires, mine disasters and so on still happen in those countries. I may post those later.

BTW: if you have time between now and the last day to add new stuff for v04, I already have one graphic I'd like to use for these: triangle1, posted in the usual places. :)

Had a few ideas for some random events, i'm in the process of testing them now.

#########################################################################
# Expanding our fishing rights
#########################################################################
event = {
id = XXXX
random = yes
invention = no

name = "Expanding our fishing rights"
desc = "Our fisherman have located abundant fishing grounds beyond our normal borders, they ask that we approve their expansion into these new areas."
style = 0

action_a = {
ai_chance = 50
name = "Approve"
command = { type = production_modifier which = fishing_wharf value = 20 }
command = { type = badboy value = 1 }
}
action_b = {
ai_chance = 50
name = "Forbid it"
command = { }
}
}

######################################################################
# Foreign Investment #generic remake of Aprof's Mexican event
event = {
id = XXXX
random = yes

picture = infrastructure

trigger = {
is_GP = no

name = "Investment from abroad"
desc = "Government incentives have encouraged foreign investment in our industry."
style = 0

action_a = {
name = "Excellent!"
command = { type = gain_building which = -1 value = -2 }#random factory
command = { type = railroad which = -1 value = 1 }#random railroad
command = { type = railroad which = -1 value = 1 }#random railroad
command = { type = treasury value = 2000 }
command = { type = relation which = -1 value = 50 }
}
}

# Trade Agreement
event = {
id = XXXX
random = yes
invention = no
picture = 6925

name = "Trade Agreement"
desc = "A foreign dignitary is pressing us to sign this trade agreement between our two countries, what shall we do?"
style = 0

action_a = {
name = "Sign"
ai_chance = 60
command = { type = tariff_eff value = 2
command = { type = relation which = -1 value = 20 }
command = { type = pop_consciousness which = liberal value = 1 }
command = { type = pop_consciousness which = conservative value = 1 }
}
action_b = {
name = "Don't Sign"
ai_chance = 40
command = { type = pop_consciousness which = liberal value = -1 }
command = { type = pop_consciousness which = conservative value = -1 }
}
}

##########################################################################################
# Civil War!
##########################################################################################
event = {
id = XXXX
random = yes
invention = yes
picture = 24040

trigger = {
civilized = yes
atwar = no
random = 4
}

name = "Civil War!"
desc = "Opposition forces have ransacked government wharehouses and have seized several provinces. Our country is tearing itself apart, the rebels must be stopped!"
style = 0

action_a = {
name = "Fight them!"
command = { type = add_division which = infantry }
command = { type = pop_consciousness which = conservative value = 5 }
command = { type = pop_militancy which = conservative value = 5 }
command = { type = pop_consciousness which = liberal value = 5 }
command = { type = pop_militancy which = liberal value = 5 }
command = { type = convert_pop_type which = farmers value = soldiers when = 10 }
command = { type = convert_pop_type which = labourers value = soldiers when = 10 }
command = { type = manpowerpool value = 20 }
command = { type = leadership value = 20 }
command = { type = revolt where = -1 }
command = { type = control which = REB value = -1 }
command = { type = switch_allegiance which = REB value = -1 }
command = { type = resource_perc which = small_arms value = -33 }
command = { type = resource_perc which = canned_food value = -33 }
}
}

we already have problems with your Coup event... the civil war obviously will not be included.

How so ? What's wrong with the civil war ?

the rest, i think they abuse of some commands... those random events just appear without considering the situation of the country...the rest, i think they abuse of some commands... those random events just appear without considering the situation of the country...

How are the commands abused ? Not take in account the situation of the country, what does that mean ? A country can't sign trade agreements or look to expand its fishing rights ?

MrOuija said:
How so ? What's wrong with the civil war ?

Not take in account the situation of the country, what does that mean ?

I'll answer both at once. A civil war should arise out of dissent between classes, unrest by the countries minorities, or some division among the people of the country. The scripted civil wars and revolutions (ACW, January Uprising, Austrian revolts by Hungary, Lombardia, Venice, Mexican Revolution) all take into account the internal situation or have events which lead to the outbreak.

We tested the Coup event and the problem we had was that as a random event, it tended to pop-up when everything was going along quite well. There was no reason for a coup to occur.

How are the commands abused ? A country can't sign trade agreements or look to expand its fishing rights ?

We've determined that to get free factories and free railroads (gain_building, railroad) or some boost to RGOs (production_modifier), there must be a compensating expense of money (or something). In the case of the event taken from my Mexican event - which I don't mind you doing at all - there was a preceeding event which would cost the Mexican player much money and might result in one, two or a slight possibility of three of these "Investment from Abroad" events happening.

Also, the tariff_eff mod is one that is considered reserved for vanilla events or inventions - not to be used in events as it can produce a game imbalance.

aprof said:
I'll answer both at once. A civil war should arise out of dissent between classes, unrest by the countries minorities, or some division among the people of the country. The scripted civil wars and revolutions (ACW, January Uprising, Austrian revolts by Hungary, Lombardia, Venice, Mexican Revolution) all take into account the internal situation or have events which lead to the outbreak.

We tested the Coup event and the problem we had was that as a random event, it tended to pop-up when everything was going along quite well. There was no reason for a coup to occur.

We've determined that to get free factories and free railroads (gain_building, railroad) or some boost to RGOs (production_modifier), there must be a compensating expense of money (or something). In the case of the event taken from my Mexican event - which I don't mind you doing at all - there was a preceeding event which would cost the Mexican player much money and might result in one, two or a slight possibility of three of these "Investment from Abroad" events happening.

Also, the tariff_eff mod is one that is considered reserved for vanilla events or inventions - not to be used in events as it can produce a game imbalance.
what aprof said. :D

Thanks aprof, you've given me a few things to think on. The civil war was my stab at not allowing things to become predicatable once you're past 1850 or so and rolling, kind of like a couple of the old EU2 events. Having tried it, it does seem a bit extreme, I may try to remodel it as some kind of internal dissent or something. About the investment. It seems to me more unrealistic to have civilized countries at the end of the game having no industry at all (most of South America), so a single factory didn't seem unreasonable, but maybe I should make the recipient pay for it.