• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
-Split Carlist Spain into Navarre and Catalonia
-Removed Basque and Catalan from Spain's national cultures

Is there any reason to do that? Carlis Spain was a non-nationalist revolt, and their objetive was breing Carlos V into the power :confused:.

Even in the XIX century, it didn't exist a nationalist movement in Navarra and Cataluña.

That makes no sense

Playing as Japan, I get the dutch letter. I refused it, and got the Commodore Perry visit which I opened up the country. Now, in 1853 I was supposed to get event 12601, which never fired. I waited until 1855 and forced fired it myself through f12. Now in 1856 I was supposed to get either 12602 or 12603 in january, which never fired. I noticed in the event file that all of these events have a death at 1920, all the events for Japan (or most of them). So, I'm assuming they have a chance to fire or may fire before 1920 and not necessarily on the date shown for the event?

I won't force the 12602 or 12603, but I'm not sure how long I'm going to wait.

These events for getting Japan civilized.

EDIT: I have a correction, all of the dates for civilizing Japan are hard dates, they are not chance to fire dates from what I've seen in the event file for Japan. For some reason or another, the events are not firing on the date specified, making civilizing Japan by refusing the Dutch Letter nearly impossible, as far as my current game is going. Not a single event fired for me after 12600. 12600 fired successfully, but none of the others until I force triggered them through f12. I'm not a coder, so I can't see what could cause it. This is with 4.0, and the scenario Grand Campaign VIP 4.0 (or whatever the VIP 4.0 campaign is labeled in the selection).

I wanted to let you all be aware of this if you plan to civilize Japan in a game, that the events may or may not fire on the date shown for them. I am wondering if the date shown for the event is the date they are supposed to fire, or they have a chance to fire after that given date, so clarity may need to be shown :).

EDIT2: Ok, well the events must have been renamed (new to VIP :p). I've had an event that must have taken the place of the other two events I mentioned because now all of Japan is light red, which I assume will happen when those events have fired. I can't remember the name of it, but right after the event fired (no choice event) the revolt risk went up in the entire country. I assume that's the real start of it, but not sure. I may need to restart the game from 1836 and play through it again. No big deal really as I like the area Japan starts in, and feels like a much better starter nation for me.

Last edited:

Is there any reason to do that? Carlis Spain was a non-nationalist revolt, and their objetive was breing Carlos V into the power :confused:.

Even in the XIX century, it didn't exist a nationalist movement in Navarra and Cataluña.

That makes no sense

Indeed. So if I'm reading this right I'm also curious as to why in gods name Hungary is made a Dominion of Austria rather than just giving Austria, Hungarian as a culture? Austria basically winds up extremely weakened by doing this. You wind up with a computer controlled ally and can't do much with it. When you look at a map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, you do not see an independent Hungary. Greater freedoms and larger autonomy they may have had after the Dual Monarchy, to the point of independence as represented by Dominion status? I don't think so.

So, with that being said, what's the best way to go around tinkering those events back to preventing Hungary from becoming an independent dominion and giving Austria back Hungarian as a culture? Modding has never been my strongpoint aside from a few little changes.

Last edited:

IIRC there was a significant "disconnect" (if you will) between the Carlists in Navarre and Catalonia IRL in regards to their actions.

IIRC there was a significant "disconnect" (if you will) between the Carlists in Navarre and Catalonia IRL in regards to their actions.

I could see Spain not having the cultures during the war, but after its over I can't see why they wouldn't get Catalan as an accepted culture. Are we trying to prevent Spain from being able to build factories in Catalonia? It's not like Spain has a large population to begin with.

Basque I can see not being accepted as even today there are attempts to create an independant Basque state, though I'm not sure how they were treated during the 19th and early 20th centuries.

During the "Mantiners wars"( the second carlist war) problably, but during the first and the third war, they have the same objetive. And there was a "little" union of forces in nowdays Aragon

That makes no sense

I suspect it was because they did not have an extra tag for Navarra and so they split Carlist Spain up. Personally I think they have improved the Carlist war a lot, the Carlists don't peace out two months into the game anymore. They usually fight for a few years.

Couple of bugged event popups;

California EVT_1501_NAME

Sweden EVT232504N

liquidation of assets and capital for investment a1_institution.bmp

bavaria.png

Prince Karl kinda deserves a leader portrait (at least random), in my humble opinion... (Bavaria) maybe the .bmp file type should be different? (24 bit, 256 bit, etc... I am not sure which one it should be or where the icon is to correct it)

bavaria2.png

Still Bavaria

bavaria3.png

This is beginning to be really annoying

capz.png

Oh my... western culture was always fast to spread but... so fast... on the east? What? :)

Last edited:
I received an error message at the end of the .exe install for 4.0 saying that some components could not be installed, in my case the fascist flag for U07. Has this or anything similar happened to anyone else? I assume if I grab the .rar file I can install over the directory and all should be well.

The Italian populations added to Greece and Dalmatia are unemployed clerks. While this may fit their socio-economic status in real life, this causes them to migrate away from the region immediately (at least in the case of Dalmatia), which I doubt is historical or desired.

During the italian revolution in 1847, playing as Sardinia Piemonte, i am winning the war drivng my army to the gate of Wien an Prag and suddently, the event Italian Revolution is over occur, and Austria is winning
A bit weird...

During the italian revolution in 1847, playing as Sardinia Piemonte, i am winning the war drivng my army to the gate of Wien an Prag and suddently, the event Italian Revolution is over occur, and Austria is winning
A bit weird...

I don't think a victory event fires even if you do take Vienna, unfortunately.

Sorry about the late responses - I've been on holiday for a week...
Yep, it was me, and I am very grateful for that ;)
But still, what do you think about UBD?
UBD would be a nice inclusion, though given it's short life span, it might come down lower in the priority list.
Thank you for your work! Has anything been changed in Prussian, or post-1871-germany events?
Nothing worth mentioning. The AI has been tweaked for Germany, but no major event changes.
Looks good, but I have a quick question. If I download this new version, will it over-ride all the changes I've personally made to VIP:R 0.4 on my own computer? Because I did make quite a few to personalize it to my tastes, particularly in regards to POPs.
Yes, your changes will be overwritten.
Also, what happened to the region-specific suggestions threads? I have some ideas for events and stuff but I can't seem to find them.
They are still about. Just change the settings at the bottom of the VIP subforum to display from the beginning and look back a few pages.
if i load a save game from the previous version of VIP after installing 0.4 what will happen?
It will probably not work.

That makes no sense
We wanted/needed a seperate tag for Navarre, and given the shortage, a recycling of the U01 tag was very useful. Also, it helps represent internal divisions in the Carlists ranks - fighting for their own fuero rights was probably as much of a clincher (if not more) to wanting Carlos on the throne.
Indeed. So if I'm reading this right I'm also curious as to why in gods name Hungary is made a Dominion of Austria rather than just giving Austria, Hungarian as a culture? Austria basically winds up extremely weakened by doing this. You wind up with a computer controlled ally and can't do much with it. When you look at a map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, you do not see an independent Hungary. Greater freedoms and larger autonomy they may have had after the Dual Monarchy, to the point of independence as represented by Dominion status? I don't think so.

So, with that being said, what's the best way to go around tinkering those events back to preventing Hungary from becoming an independent dominion and giving Austria back Hungarian as a culture? Modding has never been my strongpoint aside from a few little changes.
It's actually a good representation of the Dual Monarchy - essentially foreign affairs, etc. were controlled by Austria still. You also can't have "Austria-Hungary" when the country is just "Austria", albeit with a different flag. There's also that whole thing of Austria gaining 3 other cultures (Czech, Slovene and Polish) by the early 20th century balancing things out well. Maybe you didn't play that far?

If you want to change it I recommend you simply find the events and replace the "make_dominion" command with an "add_countryculture" command (you can find examples of this elsewhere in the Austrian events file).
I could see Spain not having the cultures during the war, but after its over I can't see why they wouldn't get Catalan as an accepted culture. Are we trying to prevent Spain from being able to build factories in Catalonia? It's not like Spain has a large population to begin with.

Basque I can see not being accepted as even today there are attempts to create an independant Basque state, though I'm not sure how they were treated during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
They are removed due to the need to balance out Spain (too overpowered), as well as create an incentive for a Carlist victory (which leads to having all cultures accepted).

We had a discussion about removing these cultures quite a while ago now, and the general consensus was that it was right given the nationalism of the period.
I suspect it was because they did not have an extra tag for Navarra and so they split Carlist Spain up. Personally I think they have improved the Carlist war a lot, the Carlists don't peace out two months into the game anymore. They usually fight for a few years.
Yeah, this is what I've found too - it's much more common to see them fighting until 1838/1839 until getting a peace.
Couple of bugged event popups;

California EVT_1501_NAME

Sweden EVT232504N

liquidation of assets and capital for investment a1_institution.bmp
Thanks!
(various)
Okay, will look into them too. Thanks!

^... what the F&$@? Calm down.

Either way, the addition of Galicia without an accompanying culture tag for Galicians made it rather... superfluous?

EDIT: Don't mind me actually, I thought Galicia as in the autonomous community in Spain - looks like it's the one in Austria.

Last edited:
Not really bugs, but some issues that linger on eternally and which can be adressed quickly. I can help, if needed.

1. Kapsukas and Congress Poland. Kapsukas is the other name for Mariampole, a town within Congress Poland back in the days. So, IMHO, the province should be part of the Congress Poland state AND of the revolter-Poland cores (like when you also give independence).

2. Maybe break up Congress Poland into smaller states? Here is how I broke the state up during my playthrough a long time ago and I think I'll follow that model in the future. Just as an idea.

3. Montenegro. Does it REALLY have to be a single-province state? Why not just make it a part of the Serbia state by default in the relevant files?

4. Russian POPs in Sukhum shall remain an eternal mystery to me, as it's an eternal left over from vanilla. I think there shouldn't be those POPs there in 1836.

^ I think your state breakdown makes them too small, Estonia with two states?

Also, I just realized Bretons in Brittany weren't added. :( Or the Catalans in France.