• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

C.V. Mannerheim

Deus Vult
81 Badges
Sep 2, 2002
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Graphics for V.I.P.

I was wondering if V.I.P. INtends to use custom background pictures like that of CORE for HoI and MES for Eu2

i would not mind creating the main title backgrounds.

Here is an example which i have tested in game and it looks great. (I Use a bitmap in game, but due to bandwith limitations on the host site, this is a jpeg.)

Example:

victest1.1.jpg

VICTEST2.jpg

victest3.jpg

victest4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, CV. I like the first one myself, with the British soldiers. Maybe it's the vivid red colors, and the way the picture matches the title 'Victoria'. What I liked about the CORE intro screen, was how it meshed different picture elements in a single background...probably through transparency? It'd be nice if something similar could be done with VIP. I certainly like the idea of a custom background, though. Good stuff, sir! :)

thanks mett, I've also just made one with a painting of the battle of Islandwhna (sic, i know) during the Zulu war.

For those that dont know:

The first example is the battle of Rorke's Drift
and the second is the HMS Dreadnought

CvM

added two news pics to first post

More good stuff, CV. It'd be cool if you could somehow mesh the last pic (the ships in line) and one of the British pics, maybe Rorke's Drift, so you capture both the land and sea elements in the cover. Otherwise, I like the look of it, the VIP icon itself, the torn page effect. :)

I use the bitmap versions of these as my title screen rotations

as to distributing these: as soon as I get the go ahead from one of the Leaders of the mod, i will post these graphics available for download.

CvM

I've just figured out that Victoria only supports 3 different backgrounds for the start menu.

I'll try to make about 2 more backgrounds, then we can put it to vote on which 3 should be the the rotation.

CvM

They look great. Congrats!!!

And if my vote counts for something: The 3rd is the best.

Although all of them look great, I don't quite like the 3rd one as it's a bit....hmmm....non PC. Is it possible to make combination of the first one and either of the naval ones?

Since victoria supports a 3 way cycle of start up backgrounds, it is possible to have both the first one (Battle of Rorke's Drift) and either of the naval ones (HMS Dreadnought and Admiral Dewey's Asiatic Fleet at the Battle of Manila)

I will also then make one more, as #3, the 'Battle of Islandwhana' is not 'PC'

(although in my defense, i think that picture captures the Victorian Era British Empire Perfectly :D *Also, the White European males, they all die in that picture )

Also, i appreciate the feedback immensley

CVM

C.V. Mannerheim said:
Since victoria supports a 3 way cycle of start up backgrounds, it is possible to have both the first one (Battle of Rorke's Drift) and either of the naval ones (HMS Dreadnought and Admiral Dewey's Asiatic Fleet at the Battle of Manila)

I will also then make one more, as #3, the 'Battle of Islandwhana' is not 'PC'

(although in my defense, i think that picture captures the Victorian Era British Empire Perfectly :D *Also, the White European males, they all die in that picture )

Also, i appreciate the feedback immensley

CVM

I don't either personally think the Zulu one as being offensive, as it does portray the historic way of thinking of the people at the time. But, well, if thought out of concept it can be seen the wrong way.

How about something a bit more varied, like one from ACW or about Prussia/France/Italy/Russia?

I am workin on a loading screen which has:

Teddy Roosevelt
Admiral John Fisher
US naval vessel
Troops going over the top

Right now im searching for pictures of the ACW and preferably one of bismarck and the Franco-Prussian War

Cvm

Grosshaus said:
I don't either personally think the Zulu one as being offensive, as it does portray the historic way of thinking of the people at the time. But, well, if thought out of concept it can be seen the wrong way.

How about something a bit more varied, like one from ACW or about Prussia/France/Italy/Russia?

I do have a marvelous oil-paint about the Paraguay War in South America, I even use it in some events. Do you like to look it? Maybe we can have several battles. Gettysbury, Chaco Battle, those above, Opium war, etc.

http://br.geocities.com/guerrapara/index.1.jpg
http://www.expodigital.com.br/obras/batalhaavai.JPG

Both are from Pedro Americo - "The Battle of Avaí"

The first link there does not work for me, however I shall make a collage of battles of the period (yes, I'll try to include that great S. American war ;) )

Also, ive just completed a loading screen which has:

Teddy Roosevelt
Otto von Bismark
Czar Nicky II
Some Period Hapsburg Emperor

It look allright.

CvM

pimparel said:
I do have a marvelous oil-paint about the Paraguay War in South America, I even use it in some events. Do you like to look it? Maybe we can have several battles. Gettysbury, Chaco Battle, those above, Opium war, etc.

http://br.geocities.com/guerrapara/index.1.jpg
http://www.expodigital.com.br/obras/batalhaavai.JPG

Both are from Pedro Americo - "The Battle of Avaí"

Please don't use original pictures themselves in events, or any other pictures as a matter of fact, unless you have authorization of the person who originally made it. Copyrights issues and such. But if the pics are changed a bit, like for instance making a collage (?) combining pictures, then it's legal again. Hopefully.

Grosshaus said:
Please don't use original pictures themselves in events, or any other pictures as a matter of fact, unless you have authorization of the person who originally made it. Copyrights issues and such. But if the pics are changed a bit, like for instance making a collage (?) combining pictures, then it's legal again. Hopefully.

It's a painting from the last century, considered now as National Property, and yes I made a collage, also.

Grosshaus said:

Without referring to my old law school texts on the subject, here's what I remember off the top of my head. (I don't practice intellectual property law on any sort of regualr basis.)

American copyright law generally prohibits use of original works created by someone else during the period that the copyright lasts. Using original works in a collage may not defeat copyright protection. It would depend on how far the picture was altered, among other things.

There is one leading exception to American copyright protections, which is called "fair use." What that basically boils down to is that if you use a part of a copyrighted work either for purposes that are saterical of the original work or for purposes that are educational, you may not be liable for copyright violation.

Additionally, under American law all copyrights lapse eventually, after a period of years.

Bottom line is, if you use a copyrighted picture or photo as part of VIP, you may be liable for violating the copyright. However, most old pictures and photos will probably be in the "public domain," which means they're fair game. (Old meaning more than 25 years, at least.)

Theodotus1 said:
Probably it's now considered public domain.

Remember that each country has different laws on this topic.

National Property = Public Domain