• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good to see the ToT end, also some nice developments there, level 11 makes it easier to explore, also good to get naval manufactory, soon you can create large fleets and sail to Europe to get revenge on the Spanish, also the New Spanish looks like a nice little target... :)

Battle bunny said:
Wait... Where is New Spain? I thought it is a dark gray color.
I think it is the new colour in the last screenshot, one that actually looks like the Netherlands, if I remember the colours correctly…

Part 6. Learning of lands.

Between 1613 and 1620 the area around the southern great lakes was extensively colonised. In fact, colonisation in general west of the appalachians was taking off in a major way. The capital lands were also extensively developed (Fig.1). The colonies ranged from French Louisana in the south to the large Vinland settlements further north.In early 1621 a new King rose to power, Halvdan Ryttare, and one of his first acts was the short lived Danish-Norweigan Alliance which soon fell apart. He later repaired this by creating a new alliance with the Danish. Halvdan had hoped to use this alliance against sweden for the purposes of conquering the weakly held Island of Iceland. This was not going to happen though as Sweden was a member of a hugely powerful alliance.

In compensation the king managed to negotiate a incredibly use exchanged of maps with Pommerania. This benefited both nations as neither knew much of europe (Fig.2) or the new world (Fig.3) respectively. This coincided with another advancement in military technology with the ability to create large fortresses. A plague in 1629 followed by a fire in 1631 in the heartlands of vinland caused major loss of life and problems. In 1634 Halvdan took a major step forward, perhaps in the wrong direction, by declaring war on the otherwise peaceful Iroquois. Unfortunately he had neglected to notice that they were allied with the Netherlands, England and Turkey. All agreed to support the native americans with England being the obvious benefactor of a regional war. Peace however was quickly obtained with the English to avoid a dangerously close enemy.

The Iroquois however proved to be an incredibly tough opponent. Not only did they repel a large initial invasion but they continued to resist, and even attack, in the following months. So dire was the situation that the army almost decided to abandon the invasion after such withering resistance. By October 1636 the first ground was taken, with the province of Onondanga falling, to a large assault. However the war was far from over as the Northmen were ejected by more fierce resistance. However both parties were drained by war and an agreement was reached over the secession of the that province to Northmen rule. Although the Iroquois had been defeated, and a province taken, it was a costly and unconvincing war (Fig.4). Something the Northmen had not been expecting. It also lay the grounds for future wars against both England and the Netherlands.

Fig. 1 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 2 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 3 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 4​

Observations on Europe

I was really surprised to see how Europe was turning out. I knew, obviously, a reasonable amount about northern europe but not North Africa or the Balkans. It seems Turkey is a major power within Europe and a serious pain for almost every nation. Later on, in other screenshots, you will see that Turkey seem to be everywhere. Interesting anyway!

Part 7. Civil War, and out of the ashes...

The failure of the war against the Iroquois had brought about a crisis in the government. Attracting the interest of major european powers was considered a truly dire mistake. The general populace in both North and South america rose in a huge civil war which was barely contained. From 1637-39 the civil war consumed the lands and eventually lead to fall of the government. Though no lands had seperated from the kingdom the threat was very real. Several key generals had switched sides to the rebels and in the course of the war were killed. The army and navy in 1639 was left considerably weakened by the war. Ill-prepared to face any potential aggressor.

A smaller regional rebellion arose in the former Incan Empire from 1640-41 but this was eventually reigned in before it could trigger a second civil war. The net result was that an extensive program of appointing governors and chief judges was instigated in those lands deemed most rebellious. It must have been a time for such things as news of Civil war in France filtered through to Vinland. The Naval Equipment Manufactury in Wabana was destroyed by fire in 1642 leaving Vinland with only one such construction from a high of three. For a few more years peace reigned in a much stressed lands until...

... in 1646, England acting on her own, declared war on Vinland (Denmark). This was somewhat unexpected by Vinland elected to take advantage of the situation. The english colonies in the new world were largely trade posts, with only one major settlement to speak of, New York. This colonial war also coincided with a key naval development. Key equipment and information had been obtained to assist all captains with explorations. It was to herald a period unknown since the glory days of Viking exploration. Explorations would have to wait until the conclusion of war with England.

The colonial war was largely a stalemate. The northmen dominated the land war, easily conquering all the colonies in North America (Fig.1), including the larger but undefended settlement of New York. On the Atlantic, despite some initial sucesses, the English held most of the power. The used this to land on Newfoundland and conquer Wabana. The entire Island was handed over to English administration in 1651 in order to end the five year colonial war. It was not considered a great loss as the island had remained heavily neglected for almost two centuries now (Fig.2). The other side of the war was the settlement of unoccupied Delaware dividing the english colonies in two and serving as a warning to the English. This would no doubt cause problems in the future but a clear signal had to be sent to them.

A new king, Torkel Half, arose in 1652 and one of his first directives, was to expand on the knowledge of the seas around this great continent. He appointed several captains to begin exploring the coastlines of south america, specifically to map the route to his largely cut-off southern dominions. Whilst this was taking place he ordered the construction of a massive shipyard in Nova Scotia. This took two years to complete and was finally finished in 1660 (Fig.3). As the last buildings were completed in the shipyard the final northernmost coastline of Alaska had been mapped (Fig.4). The Northmen would have other objectives in the future though...

Fig. 1 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 2 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 3 - - - - - - - - - - - Fig. 4​

Note -

You can see New Spain now in that last screenshot. It's always nice to see a French West Africa as well... though a proper Portuguese Brazil has clearly struggled.

Last edited:
Part 8. Pacific Explorers.

The Northmen elected to turn westwards. Setting out from South America voyages were dispatched westwards. By 1663 New Zeland and Eastern Australia had been discovered. This coincided with the substantial growth of the colony in delaware which also became home to a goods manufactury. By 1664 the island of Tasmania had been successfully colonised, and incredibly, became a center of trade in the region (Fig.1). In 1667 vinland spies managed to steal the sea charts of a passing english vessel revealing a huge amount of unknown lands and seas to the Northmen (Fig.2).

This culminated in a raft of new discoveries. The discovery of Hawaii in 1671 (Fig.3), the circumnavigation of Australia in 1673 and it's subsequent colonisation (Fig.4). A large section of the Pacific was explored and mapped throughout the late 1670's and early 1680's. A war with Spain in 1685, through a recent alliance with the Netherlands, caused some concern but this fear soon passed as peace was rapidly agreed between the two warring parties. The net result of this 'phony war' was a reminder not to neglect the military. Large fortification increases were ordered. Vinland, whilst enjoying its new explorations, was being careful to avoid an unexpected war.

Part 8. Colonial Conflict.

The early 1690's started out well. Colonisation of the Australian continent was progressing apace and recent advancements in military technology and logistic permitted the creation of the first conscription centers. The first of which was built in 1695 in the capital (Fig.1). Along with a 'mighty' fortress the capital of Vinland represented a formidable target for anyone to attempt the capture of it. By 1696 the colonisation of Australia was complete (Fig.2). Most of the major habitable areas were resident to at least a hundred or so settlers, and particularly in the south, the density was greater still.

In 1696 the vinland heartlands in and around Nova Scotia became home to a significant fortification effort. The king, and his closest advisors, appeared to believe a war was on the horizon. They were right. An alliance with the Dutch and Scottish was forged in 1697 and soon put to the test with the Anglo-Scottish War of 1702 and the Dutch-Spanish War of 1704. Both wars were regional colonial conflicts for the Vinlanders. Notable events included the capture of iceland and kola from sweden, though these were not secured by treaty, and of the steamrollering of both north america against the english and of central america against the spanish. English ground troops in north america proved generally superior to the vinlanders. In the end numbers overwhelmed skill.

The conclusion of the wars were the awarding, by treaty, of Penobscot from England and of Cartagena from the Spanish (Fig.3). The weakness of England was further exposed by the Dutch capture of manhatten (which they renamed Nieuw Amsterdam) and of the destruction of much of the trading empire in North America. This weakness was pounced upon by Vinland and their lands were settled very quickly to create an empire that finally linked Delaware to the rest of Vinland (Fig.4).

Duke of Wellington said:
I was shocked to see you unable to defeat the Iroquois and lose to the British. But it is good to see you fixed that soon enough and got a good deal off of them. Are you intent on reclaiming Wabana?

Tell me about it... i was not happy, and in the end had to settle for the only province i had captured, and likewise with the british. My achilles heel is the Incan provinces. I have had several major rebellions down there which always 'force my hand' on the negotiating table. In an upcoming update the situation again is decided often by rebellions. I am honestly not that fussed about Wabana... and it gives me a CB if i need it ;)

I must say it seems like the English have better technology than you then, but the Iroquois, that really was a surprise that you couldn’t defeat them. Still you made some good progress I see, with a lot of colonies and more exploration. I presume Vinland is among the top nations of the world in victory points?

Lord E said:
I must say it seems like the English have better technology than you then, but the Iroquois, that really was a surprise that you couldn’t defeat them. Still you made some good progress I see, with a lot of colonies and more exploration. I presume Vinland is among the top nations of the world in victory points?

Hi. I haven’t checked but I think they are somewhat stronger than I am… certainly in Land Technology, though with regards to Naval, I think I am about on par with them. I’ve tended to play very opportunistically against them. It seemed the war with the Iroquois has triggered there desire to war with us now. I’ve had several recent conflicts with them and major one in my last session yesterday. The last time I “surrendered” I was third or fourth I think – I had the second strongest economy if I recall just narrowly short of Spain.

Part 9. Expansion and War with England.

Throughout the early 1700’s specific attention was being paid to the fledgling Australian colonies. By 1712 those efforts had been rewarded with the foundation of the first cities in the southern part of the continent. As this was taking place funds were being raised for war with England, this time declared and directed by, the Vinlanders themselves. On December 3rd 1714 a declaration was formerly handed over to the governor of the New England colonies to be passed to the king of England. This was against an isolated England but with Vinland managing to reign in an extremely useful Scottish alliance partner. Unfortunately the Netherlands declined to participate. In the first few months of 1715 all of the North America trading posts had been captured and the only sizable cities of Wabana and Massachustetts had been captured also. An ambitious plan, recommended by the Scottish, was the naval invasion of Cornwall which was conducted successfully by December 1715. By June 1717 the province had been captured (Fig.1), as the English army had been diverted by the more pressing threat of the Scottish armies who had successfully attacked as far south as Bristol.

The English had painfully misjudged the effectiveness of the Vinland armies and paid the price. By 1718 Wessex and Kent had fallen bringing all of southern England under the temporary grip of the Northmen – something that had not happened since almost a millennia ago. By February 1722 the capital itself, London, had been captured by the victorious vinlanders. Peace was quickly brought about afterwards. The northmen had no interest in humbling England, nor taking any of her provinces, she merely wish to acquire more control over the lands closest to them. The English had shown themselves to be poor administrators of their holdings there and the danger was, a more unwelcome nation, would take advantage of such a fact. Eschewing the gains made by Scotland the Northmen demanded and received control of Connecticut and Massachusetts along with 250d in reparations (Fig.2). Though England had been humbled they had been let off by the Vinlanders. This isolated the dutch city of Nieuw Amsterdam on Manhattan Island became an object of discussion. Plans were considered for war against the Netherlands but permitting this isolated settlement, which could progress no further into the North American hinterland was quite viable, but were abandoned as the vast flow of trade through the region had to come through the great trading centre of Nova Scotia. An invasion was unnecessary.

As with all recent wars for vinland the south American provinces, formerly of the Incan empire, rose up in an opportunistic revolt. Lasting an uncharacteristic five years or so, the recent changes in governors, and an increase in army presence in the region meant that the rebellion itself however was easily put down. A continual effort of increasing the fortifications and army presence in the region was continued in order to avoid any chance of a successful uprising. Following this more effort was focused on improving technology through, what people were consistently beginning to refer to, as the Empire. Goods manufactories were establish in Kebec (1732) and Yarla in Australia (1740) and key advancements in the fields of Naval Technology (Lvl 34 by 1735), Military Technology (Level 6 Fortresses by 1733) and in Infrastructure and Government (Level 8) which only further strengthened the power and wealth of the Empire (Fig.3). The former English settlement of Massachusetts was permitted to retain its English culture and its first city, Boston, inaugurated in 1734 was a favoured destination for English, irish and Scottish emigrants further swelling the city and region. In 1740, the inauguration of a new king – Bjorn Knuttson, was celebrated throughout the lands. His predecessor had set the stage for Bjorn to do almost anything he wish, the question was, what would he do? (Fig.4)

Last edited:
Very good work there, sounds like you got back on the English and gave them a good beating there. Must have been funny seeing Vinlanders march into London. Good progress :)

Duke of Wellington said:
Hmmm anything? I look forward to finding out what but I hope Constantinople is included somewhere. A fine sight it much have been to see the Vinlanders in London.

Well things have gone well, and especially lately, i am concerned i have only managed to complete 2-3 objectives. I won't say whether i have, or will, capture constantinople. Yeah it was funny to basically see England divided between Scottish and Vinlander armies... though this time they didn't have axes and shields.

Lord E said:
Very good work there, sounds like you got back on the English and gave them a good beating there. Must have been funny seeing Vinlanders march into London. Good progress :)

I was surprised at how tame the english were to be honest, though having Scotland in the alliance (and agreeing to participate) was clearly a major distraction for them. I think having a strong and large navy was a major help as well permitting me to land a large, well equipped army, into Cornwall and permitting resupply of a similar sized army a year later. Without my navy this would have difficult to maintain. I keep thinking of them [the vinlanders] with axes, beards and longships but in the 1740's they are more like a prussian/swedish style army by my reckoning.

Additionally I never [obviously] intended to attack England, but as i mentioned a while back, they seemed to have taken a major dislike of me after my attack on the Iroquois - and they haven't forgotten. This unfortunately forced me into a series of wars against them culminating in the fall of London. Even now i don't really want to punish them any further though i suspect there will be another conflict yet. Assuming i don't war against them, or can keep them at bay, i hope to at least begin planning to achieve some more objectives. The more realistic and direct target would by constantinople - though this is controlled by the surprisingly powerful Turks. The other alternative is a war against Sweden which already dominates Scandinavia and parts of Russia if i recall. It's a tough one that will hopefully be decided later tonight.

Part 10. Moving Eastwards.

From 1743-1755 a massive period of industrialisation swept through the North American continent. A huge army and fleet were being prepared by the King. His dying wish, passed to his son in 1753, was the conquest of Midgard - or Constantinople. His son, Fritiof Grymme, declared war on Turkey (Oman & The Mughal Empire) a mere two years later. The fleet was anchored in port when the declaration was passed to the stunned turkish envoy.

1755 was a huge success and a total surprise victory against the Turks. Both Constantinople, Anatolia and Smyrna had fallen before the end of the year. By October 1755 the war was already over with the annexation of both Smyrna and Anatolia (Fig.1). The supposedly rampant Turks had been given a bloody nose from a most unexpected quarter.

After securing the new middle eastern holdings the fleet was sent immediately northwards towards Scandinvia. In 1756, even though the dust had barely been settled from the previous war, Norway was invaded and in 1757 annexed (Fig.2). The sudden shift in power in the Northern Hemisphere was not going unseen by others. Preparations however were being made against Sweden. Vinland had long feared the power of this kingdom especially in its early infancy. Now it was flexing its own muscles. In 1765, after significant preparations, war was declared on Sweden. Within two years, all of southern and central sweden had falled. In October 1767 an agreement was reached formally handing over sovereignty of Iceland and Vastergotland over to the Vinlander's (Fig.3).

In 1775 the vinlanders had begun to harness the power of Steam as the industrial revolution now occuring gathered momentum. The new king, Bragi Fritiofsson, was keen to exploit this new power and to establish himself as a powerful warrior declared war on Sweden in early 1776. A lightning war saw the annexation of both Bergslagen and Smaland by June that same year (Fig.4). Vinland was becoming a feared and powerful kingdom - however, these recent rapid acquisitions were not being looked at too kindly by those around them. The term 'balance of power' was being coined principally as a phrase to contain the expansion of Vinland.

Part 11. Moving into a new era, endgame.

Throughout the 1770's more preparations for war were in place once again. The new king, Brik Bragisson, was not unlike his recent predecessors. Strong, determined and most of all ambitious. In early 1782 he declared war on Sweden gaining the provinces of Jamtland and Trondelag in the few months that the war lasted.

This last war was all that other countries could stand by and tolerate. Shortly after war was declared by the Iroquois (England and Sweden). It was a distraction elsewhere but one that permitted the acquisition of Lappland and Gastrikland from the Swedes and by 1787 the annexation of the Iroquois (Fig.1). In February 1787 the Netherlands declared war on Vinland. Manhattan was quickly captured but could not be held after two large, but unsucessful, naval invasion in the heart of holland. In mainland europe the northmen had no chance - at sea they were undefeatable. By late 1792 peace had been reached against all combattants but at what cost? Rebellion was breaking out across the empire, whilst controllable, may eventually lead to the sucession of the south america's.

ENDGAME

I finished second in this game behind the Austrian juggernaut. From a single aspect i had an economy that far outstripped anyone else in the game - twice as large as the next, which was Spain. I was shocked at how widespread the turkish were with colonies in Brazil and everywhere else. Attacking them seemed a sensible way of enforcing a kind of monroe doctrine for Vinland. France and England were subdued most of the game which was somewhat concerning.

Anyway - to summarise i enjoyed this game and achieved most of my goals bar the conquest of the Aztecs (which i was tantalising close to doing). I hope you enjoyed it as well -- those few who read it! I attched some endgame screenshots of South and Central America (Fig.2), North America (Fig.3) and Europe (Fig.4) where you can see how basically messed up this game was!

VICTORY POINTS

Austria 3326
Vinland 2856
Russia 2053
Turkey 1872
Spain 1731

A good end to a nice AAR Languish, I think you did very well and as you say you mange to succeed in all your goals apart from the Aztecs who you actually would have taken had not the Spanish used the ToT. All in all I think it was a nice game and a nice story and you did very well
Nice work :)