• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Download the Random Mediterranean 2 music pack here!

Featuring Mediterranean music, more likely to fire for various Mediterranean cultures

Some music to go along with today's hotfix. Enjoy as always.

I thought I was going crazy but now that I can check which songs are playing — I swear the songs from Jewish 2 play about 10 times more often than the others. Maybe as little as 5 times more often. I didn’t mark it at first because I was playing a Semien game… but now that I’m not a Jew, it’s pretty jarring! Is there some cache I can clear, or something? Can you think of anything that could cause this cybrxkhan? I can’t help but notice your sig… you must have mixed up your mods and turned VIET Music into Jews Everywhere! :p

Sorry for the late reply, I totally forgot about your post! :(

Anyways, d'you have Jewish courtiers? I think when I originally coded it I had it so if you had Jewish courtiers the chances of playing the Jewish songs more.

EDIT:

Alright, so I looked into my code, and it does appear that for the first Jewish music pack I had a separate section in the code for Jewish courtiers. Anyhow, if you want to tweak the chances of the music playing, just go to wherever you put the files for the music code, and open up "jewish_music.txt" and "jewish_music_2.txt" in notepad, notepad++, or a similar program (if you can't find those files, then either you probably are doing something I'm not aware of, or you didn't install the Jewish music at all and shouldn't even be hearing it). You'll notice each song has its own section, looking something like this (code may look a bit different, but don't worry about that):

Code:
song = {
	name = "shema.ogg"

chance = {
		factor = 1
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			OR = {
				religion_group = jewish_group
				culture_group = judaic	
				religion_group = judaism_group	
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
				any_courtier = {
					OR = {
						religion_group = jewish_group
						culture_group = judaic	
						religion_group = judaism_group
					}
				}
		}
	}		
}

You'll notice the "factor = [some number]". This is what determines the frequency of the songs. In the example above, the song has a base factor of 1, which most songs have as a base btw in vanilla and with VIET's music. You can change this to something lower if you want, but I don't think it's necessary. Rather, what you could change are the other factor numbers. In the example above, for instance, the code basically says to increase the chances of playing if you are Jewish, and/or if you have a Jewish courtier. To be honest I don't know how much of a multiplier that 1.5 (or 2, or 2.5, etc., as it may be) means. I just know that generally speaking the modifiers should be between 1-3 for best results, maybe 1-2.5.

Anyways, so let's just say that the code above is exactly how you see it in your version (again, it might not be, but this is just for example's sake). Change those 1.5 to something lower, like, say, 1.25 (or, if you want to make the songs less frequent than the base 1, change the value to 0.5 even, for instance).

Hope that helps.

These notes are FABULOUSE!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, I totally forgot about your post! :(

Anyways, d'you have Jewish courtiers? I think when I originally coded it I had it so if you had Jewish courtiers the chances of playing the Jewish songs more.

EDIT:
<...>

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I understand the code affecting music, but since the factor (1, 1.5, 2.25 if I understand) is comparable to the other packs it didn’t really explain my results. On the other hand... the issue seems to have disappeared. At the time I was convinced it was too frequent to just be bad RNG, but I don’t know what else it could have been. Oh well. Thanks for the explanations.

Alright, there’s certainly a problem. Here’s the new song lines from my game.log. Vanilla, all DLCs, with VIET Music, playing as Lombard Catholic Sicily. Around the time biggest_secret_scheme.ogg started playing I got the event for a Jewish courtier. As you can see, from that point on, he played me the song of his people uninterrupted. (exclusively songs from the two Jewish packs)

Code:
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/the_blind_spot_of_evryone.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/inthenameofgod.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/the_truth_of_ice_cream.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/her_helpless_partner.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/biggest_secret_scheme.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/shema.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/jewish_niggun.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/yiddish_singing.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/jewish_fiddle.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/shofar_blown.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/adon_olam.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/el_nora_alila.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/shema.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/the_joy_of_living.ogg
[eu3idler.cpp:4284]: new song music/yiddish_celebration.ogg

I was going to violently expel them to document that transition but ran into a weird bug (not at war, but suddenly hostile to everyone?) and closed the game. What could be going on here? I don’t want to remove them entirely; the intended frequency is fine.

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question? I don't think the music is causing any bug, and if you don't want to reduce the frequency then what do you want to do?

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question? I don't think the music is causing any bug, and if you don't want to reduce the frequency then what do you want to do?

Maybe I don’t understand the way the music code work. But how could it be WAD for the same 13 songs to play repeatedly, when according to the code and your explanation, they should have comparable frequencies to each of the other 300+ songs? It makes me think there might be something wrong on my install and this is just the most obvious symptom, like if certain characters were corrupted in the rar extraction, or there’s a missing bracket somewhere. Though I did redownload the packs and that didn’t fix it.

But if you can’t think what might be wrong, I can just turn the factors down, right? turn the 1.5s into 1.25s, or remove the block that applies a modifier for the courtiers?

Maybe I don’t understand the way the music code work. But how could it be WAD for the same 13 songs to play repeatedly, when according to the code and your explanation, they should have comparable frequencies to each of the other 300+ songs? It makes me think there might be something wrong on my install and this is just the most obvious symptom, like if certain characters were corrupted in the rar extraction, or there’s a missing bracket somewhere. Though I did redownload the packs and that didn’t fix it.

But if you can’t think what might be wrong, I can just turn the factors down, right? turn the 1.5s into 1.25s, or remove the block that applies a modifier for the courtiers?

I believe the frequencies for the Jewish music may have originally been higher than I wanted, but nothing wrong with the code or the game per se (also, I do want to mention jfyi that if there was a missing bracket or something in the music code it would likely cause random CTDs). So, yes, if you want to turn the factors down just lower the numbers or remove the modifier blocks for courtiers.

Speaking of Judaism, I know a ton of Jewish songs that would fit super well into this. I don't have actual copies of the songs, but they are fairly easy to get. Here they are -
Kol Nidre - a super old chant made to pardon all oaths of conversion to another religion, or similar acts enforced on Jews.
Blessings before and after Torah/Haftorah - 4 blessings, used every week. In Judaism, different sections of the Torah and Haftorah are chanted every week. Before and after chanting, these blessings are chanted. Chanting the blessings before and after the Torah is one of the highest honors in Jewish society.
Torah/Haftorah cantillation - The tunes used in chanting Torah and Haftorah. These will probably be really easy to find.
Shalom Aleichem
Also, here's a ton of Jewish prayers. I have a lot more if you're interested.

Speaking of Judaism, I know a ton of Jewish songs that would fit super well into this. I don't have actual copies of the songs, but they are fairly easy to get. Here they are -
Kol Nidre - a super old chant made to pardon all oaths of conversion to another religion, or similar acts enforced on Jews.
Blessings before and after Torah/Haftorah - 4 blessings, used every week. In Judaism, different sections of the Torah and Haftorah are chanted every week. Before and after chanting, these blessings are chanted. Chanting the blessings before and after the Torah is one of the highest honors in Jewish society.
Torah/Haftorah cantillation - The tunes used in chanting Torah and Haftorah. These will probably be really easy to find.
Shalom Aleichem
Also, here's a ton of Jewish prayers. I have a lot more if you're interested.

Thanks for the links, I'll keep a note of them whenever I return to the next Jewish music pack.

Regarding Jewish music.

I am a Norman in Sicily, I took a jewish courtier also and got sympathy for Jews, this king Jewish music has played almost non stop, I get one western song in between then maybe 4 or 5 Jewish songs in a row. When my king dies ill see if the music stops.

Otherwise does seem very strange..

Regarding Jewish music.

I am a Norman in Sicily, I took a jewish courtier also and got sympathy for Jews, this king Jewish music has played almost non stop, I get one western song in between then maybe 4 or 5 Jewish songs in a row. When my king dies ill see if the music stops.

Otherwise does seem very strange..

Try the tweaks to the Jewish music's code I mentioned in my post above, see if that helps.

Something I've just noticed with the French Renaissance music, the chance for the music to play can depend upon one having "occitanian" culture- there is no such culture!

Also, as much as I love the Jewish music (and I really do!), I agree that the chance for it to play when you have a Jewish courtier should decrease.

Download the French Renaissance 4 and Random Medieval 6 music packs here!

French Renaissance 4 features renaissance music from France and Flanders, more likely to play for Normans, French, Dutch, and Occitans
Random Medieval 6 features various medieval music, more likely to play for Catholics and Western/Central Europeans

I have two music packs up this time to make up for me not releasing music packs for the previous HIP update or two. As always, enjoy.

Something I've just noticed with the French Renaissance music, the chance for the music to play can depend upon one having "occitanian" culture- there is no such culture!

Also, as much as I love the Jewish music (and I really do!), I agree that the chance for it to play when you have a Jewish courtier should decrease.

Which of the French Renaissance music packs are you referring to specifically (as there are three - well, now four - of them)?

I wrote what amounts to a VIET Music installation script to help me when I wiped my CKII user dir and wanted to extract all the music packs again. It would be helpful, perhaps, to someone installing HIP on a new machine. It’s Python 3.4 and requires rarfile, which itself requires unrar (see rarfile FAQ). The MOD_PATH constant at the top should be changed to the mod folder in your own CKII user dir, whether on Windows or (untested) Mac/Linux. It expects you have have downloaded some or all of the compilation RARs and/or individual music pack RARs, and moved them into that mod folder. Running, it will put together VIET Music, taking 2.5 minutes on my poor laptop. It can be run again with only new packs in the mod folder; it will install them alongside old ones. Using this to install just a couple new packs may seem like overkill, but I appreciate the tidiness of it, and for some reason I expect myself to make mistakes extracting them by GUI.

Code:
import os
import pathlib
import shutil
import rarfile

MOD_PATH = pathlib.Path('c:/Users/Nicholas/Documents/'
                        'Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod')

def extract(rar_path):
    with rarfile.RarFile(str(rar_path)) as rar_file:
        for entry in rar_file.infolist():
            if not entry.isdir():
                path = pathlib.Path(entry.filename)
                dest = MOD_PATH / 'VIET Music' / path.name
                if len(path.parts) == 2 and path.suffix in ['.ogg', '.txt']:
                    dest = dest.parent / 'music' / dest.name
                with rar_file.open(entry) as fsrc, dest.open('wb') as fdst:
                    shutil.copyfileobj(fsrc, fdst)

def main():
    with (MOD_PATH / 'VIET_Music.mod').open('w') as mod_file:
        mod_file.write('name = "VIET Music"\npath = "mod/VIET Music"')
    os.makedirs(str(MOD_PATH / 'VIET Music/music'), exist_ok=True)
    for rar_path in MOD_PATH.glob('VIET*.rar'):
        extract(rar_path)
    for rar_path in MOD_PATH.glob('VIET Music/*.rar'):
        extract(rar_path)
        rar_path.unlink()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Download the latest music packs here: Celtic 5, Middle East 5, and Random Medieval 7
A new Compilation Pack, the Music Compilation Pack 7, is also available.

And here we have my final music pack uploads, and my retirement copypasta: With today's HIP update, I am now officially retired from CKII modding, and you may all hail your new VIET and CPR overlords, Ordep and sifsilver (respectively). For those of you unaware of the situation (or have forgotten), I've already previously announced and explained my decision to retire in this thread here. I hope that my official statements as well as my final swan song update will provide you all with a satisfactory closure. Anyhow, since I've blabbed enough in that other thread, I'll keep this post relatively brief.

Again, I want to thank you everyone - whether you are a HIP team member, another modder, one of the old VIETerans, or just a random mod user - for your support and feedback these past couple of years. It's been real fun, and I won't forget it. Feel free to keep in touch with me anytime on steam (username cybrxkhan), reddit (username Conny_and_Theo), or the civfanatics forums (username cybrxkhan) - just tell me who you are so I don't end up ignoring you because I think you're a stranger. I will also, of course, still be on the PI forums - just a lot less active, and I will probably do a bit of personal hack modding on the side.

My swansong update for the VIET Music mods includes three - yes, that’s three - music packs, as well as a music pack collection to wrap things up. This includes Middle East 5, Celtic 5, and Random Medieval 7. At this point Ordep may (or may not) be able to continue adding more VIET Music for your listening pleasure depending on how much energy and time he has. Nevertheless, feel free to contact me for music recommendations if you’re interested - if you will forgive me for boasting, as someone who has had a long history with music, including a decade and a half of classical music training and perfect pitch, along with being part of a musically-inclined family, music is something I do quite enjoy. I am more than happy to have been able to share with you my love of music, especially world music, and I hope you enjoyed the music as well.

Lastly, I hope some of you guys caught the references I put in my music track names. Mostly names of episodes from a few of my favorite anime.

The modding community is like a stage

And all its men and women merely players

They have their exits and their entrances

And one man, in his time, plays many parts

I now no longer play the part of modder. I bow and humbly take my leave. Thank you all.

Song packs 3 and 5 are not working now due to copyright.

Sorry for the late reply - anyhow I tried downloading them from different browsers and not using my mediafire account, and I had no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions:
In the second post you have "Music Pack 6" twice. The new link works fine though. Thanks for the update and sayonara.

Thanks for all updates, packs & mods, @cybrxkhan ! I never managed to learn to spell your username properly, and now that the new forum has an auto-fill function, you are leaving the modding scene!