• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Western Squiggle

King Duy calls upon the monks of the nation to guide its people through this troubling time. They experience moderate success, and the people feel more at peace with the changes going on around them.

ukfn1cE.png

Access to new ideas and technologies allows for better maps. Duy looks upon them, and plans his actions carefully. Most notably, there is a large nation above the Black Sea that catches his eye. "The Ukraine not weak!" he declares.

n7AtDXW.png

cwRTlt0.png

There are a few revolts, but Duy uses the westernization period mostly as one of recovery and learning. No one opts to attack the Longest nation on earth, so the process goes smoothly.

pELwdjK.png

Seeing the new strength of Dai Viet, the king of Lan Na calls Duy into a war on Assam. He immediately transfers leadership to the superior nation of Dai Viet.

King Duy decides that this skirmish will be the perfect time to test out the new technologies afforded by westernization. The new troops are far superior to the troops of Assam.
4kExvGn.png

4BOIxiI.png

The Christian nation of Russia to the north is a large threat, and King Duy takes preemptive action: All Christians travelling in the Great Chain are to be arrested and deported.

Assam is swiftly and totally defeated, and Duy has an idea: It is better to subjugate them than just take some of their money. Their place is not to be in the Great Chain, but to serve it from the periphery.
YAzKYxH.png

Tpvdo1n.png

After nearly a hundred years of stagnation, Duy decides it is time to extend the Southern End. It is time for war!

The Indian nations fall before the might of the reformed Dai Viet army, and the march through India begins.
8mXEGSp.png

lNCm7mm.png

"What do western nations do?" Duy asks the court Prophet, seeking advice on how to proceed.

"My king, Western nations take protectorates, progress their religion at the expense of others, and make colonial nations"

"Well, we've got two out of three" replies Duy. "Better make a colonial nation, I guess"
ZmGtqmh.png

AaC4ZHx.png

Duy looks out at the Great Chain, and sees nothing but potential on both ends. the Hodres and the nations of India are on the business end of a reformed Dai Viet army, and the future is bright.

When I first saw the title, I'm like "What? Doesn't Viet Long mean Vietnamese Dragon?". Well, at least in Vietnamese language. And then I realize, that dragon will be very looooong. :D Love the idea. Definately try it sometime.

Low-Hanging Fruit

King Duy realizes that the nations across the sea represent both a new resource and a challenge. The prophet reminds him: "They follow their own rules, and do not follow the way of the Great Chain. This makes them a dangerous liability, if mismanaged"

This prompts Duy to build a new wave of ships to manage relations and trade with Tranglandia.
hXR6BIR.png

On the northern end of the chain, the damnable Uzbeks are in a war with the Timurids. Duy takes this opportunity to strike!
Dq6Ncck.png

The excitement of a war going well proves too much for Old King Duy. His passing is briefly mourned, but the people of Dai Viet now wait to see if King Kinh Cung can mange the throne well, especially with his just-barely-younger brother Y lurking in the background.
USFXHCC.png

The Uzbeks are swiftly defeated, and there is much rejoicing.

A wandering minstrel announces his plans to walk the entire length of the Great Chain, singing songs of unity and glory. He is well received by all.
uZMoXdJ.png

mFPo5WG.png

Khiva's uncivilized nomads lie just beyond the Uzbeks, and King Kinh Cung takes the opportunity to lead troops in battle himself. The savages prove to be no match, even in superior numbers, to the advanced troops of the longest nation on earth!
bU5RBQ0.png

IifyQG8.png

Kinh Cung negotiates peace with the lesser people, and looks even further west: the hordes of Nogai now share a border with Dai Viet. They have aligned with the Ottomans, however, so Kinh Cung must consider his options carefully.
iQV0lG5.png

The lands of India remain annoyingly united, but the king is not scared. He knows that Dait Viet is growing much faster, and time will only improve his advantage.

iw6EOaH.png

I still say you should go full circle and close the loop! :D

I still say you should go full circle and close the loop! :D

I certainly plan on trying :)

the great chain shall stretch from the Cape of Good Gope to Portugal!

...with a sliiiight detour through Asia.

Africa is certainly on the menu in the future

One India, Please

King Kinh Cung realizes that the Great Chain is at a deficit in both manpower and money, and sets about bringing the country back on its feet. In the meanwhile, he surveys the globe: To the west, the Ottoman Empire and Algiers dominate the Muslim world, and the Ukraine is not weak either.

To the east, Dai Viet remains relatively unchallenged in the southwester corner of the New World.
hmovVGT.png

1Wj5Tcz.png

Colonists continue the formerly-Mayan Chain on the main Southern continent without prompting of the King. They are allowed to do so, which prompts the governor of Peru to ask for more freedom of movement in the Dai Viet colonial economy. King Kinh Cung consults the prophet.

"My King, If we give these heathens an inch, they will take a mile" says the prophet. "You're right" replies the King. "We shall let them know they are not welcome. Try to spin it in a way that makes me look good, though"
9osoYas.png

WLr3YqA.png

The Ming, after their humiliation at the hands of Dai Viet over a century ago, decide to westernize. "This act of aggression should not go unpunished!" declares the King's brother Y. "You're right, Brother. Let us take a more offensive stance in the development of our military" replies the King.
mtGAySq.png

2Lhl5iA.png

Y's promptingto become more and more aggressive finally drives King Kinh Cung to battle. He attacks the alliance of Indian nations to the west, and takes up the sword with a band of elite mercenaries himself. Tragic news eventually reaches the capital: King Kinh Cung is dead. Long live King Y, and his son Thuan!
129zObF.png

Qw5lO8N.png

Y knows that as the Great Chain grows longer, so will the transport times of troops from place to place. He sanctions the growth and development of the Navy even further. Y also makes sure to destroy the entire Indian army before setting up a series of strategic sieges.
hNuoSPz.png

gZ8jHd1.png

King Y knows that the Chinese, while not a world power any longer, had some good ideas in their time. He organizes a new system of integrating new lands into the Great Chain. This new system is immediately put to use in the newly captures lands of India.
3NX17fg.png

nFYhrJs.png

Gujarat lies just west of the newly conquered lands. A check of their military capabilities shows that they too have westernized! Y sets in for some recovery time for the nation, and waits for the right time to strike. In the east, the colonial nation of Dangslava is formed.
qd3p228.png

u1tB0q3.png

King Y I Le calls his son Thuan to the throne room to discuss the future of the chain. "My son, we sit at an important crossroad of the ages. The powers in the west invade our neighbors and former rivals, and we must push into their territory. It will not be easy, but it will be done"
8YWamZn.png

fCRiB0A.png

Nice progress. Just as question, why didn't you work your way arround the souther tip of india? To much work with Vija?

Nice progress. Just as question, why didn't you work your way arround the souther tip of india? To much work with Vija?

The southern Long is headed to Africa, which will take quite a while to get around. I'm trying to get started on that ASAP.

The Gujarat Shuffle

King Y sees that Gujarat is embroiled in two wars with enemies far stronger than they are. This is the perfect time to attack!
Nr3RGy7.png

QJlrI2E.png

The war is going very smoothly for Y, and he wraps up his grandfather's project of annexing the Inca. All along the borders of the Great Chain, nations quake with fear of Y's mighty armies.
vviOI9u.png

00TwqEm.png

"The fools of Gujarat refuse to give up their capital!" rages Y. "Let's take everything else they have, so that they might learn a lesson"

Meanwhile, rumors of a gigantic nation on the Northwest continent of the New World emerge. these "Navajo" appear to be almost as technically advanced asthe Europeans.
KUPCAbT.png

O53pk4e.png

King Y wishes that his name might live forever in history, and founds The Colonial Republic of Y. Looking west, he decides to extend the Great Chain's reach through Mewar, even if it remains separate for now.
jJ0RHOQ.png

uRspJGe.png

The westernization attempts by the Ming have resulted in another governmental collapse. The civil war spreads to portions of the Great Chain, but nothing is lost.

Mewar yields their provinces to the Great Chain without much resistance. King Y speculates with the Prophet as to the reasons.

"I believe that those held within the embrace of the Great Chain are actually quite better off than those on the outside" Y says. "Quite right, your majesty" agrees the prophet. "The Russians to the north are being kept at bay, and the Portuguese will be kept out of Central Asia as well.
wriPf5M.png

b71GoLw.png

King Y makes war on Gujarat once more, but the excitement proves too much for his heart. He passes away into history, and his son Thuan takes charge. Thuan's younger brother Kinh Cung sits ready to take the throne as well.

The conquest of Gujarat proves to be too much too fast. The Great Chain is extending too rapidly to be stable. Thuan also knows that he must get rid of Kathiawar as soon as possible, as it violates the purity of the Chain.
SOOCtML.png

028uU19.png

Thuan negotiates peace with the Persians to return Kathiawar to Gujarat. To the North, the Russians (who have grown uncomfortably large) have just finished attacking the steppe nomads of Nogai. The prophet calls for Thuan.

"My King, I have received another vision! The sea known as the Black Sea, flanked on the North, and the West by dragons!" proclaims the prophet. Thuan knows what he must do.
7HqhBt0.png

IQ6A1sc.png

The Hordes of Nogai are reluctant to give their capital up as well, but Thuan has a plan to win in the end. He takes the great city of Astrakhan along the Caspian Sea, and waits for the truce with Nogai to expire.

In the mean time, Baluchistan sits ready to be conquered. "Make it so" declares the King.
0z6yN0g.png

cS7M3tb.png

Baluchistan is no match for the superior numbers and technology of the Great Chain. King Thuan makes sure to keep Khiva and Persia happy, so that troops can rapidly move from front to front. The Great Chain has done very well in Asia, and now looks out to Europe and the Middle East. It will not be easy, but it will be glorious.
v0tXU5a.png

hNdNjnS.png

azfxTsD.png

King Y, is this really a real name? Good progress but what is your goal for the chain, where are you aiming to get?

Patience, it will all come to be revealed!

There was a Vietnamese King named Le Y. His reign wasn't glorified like this King Y, though.

Indeed, he was even active during this timeframe! Considering that his son was more noteworthy than he, it's safe to say that this Y is out-performing his historical counterpart.

The Nogai Shuffle

King Thuan seeks to reunite the fractured northern chain. The Ottomans stand with the hordes of Nogai, but Thuan is not intimidated. He calls for a reform of the army to defeat the heathens to the west.
xGMvEWQ.png

Ox8k5ci.png

King Thuan knows that once they are ried up in a holy war, the Ottomans are nearly impossible to defeat. He decides that the best course of action will be to blitz Nogai, and stall the Ottomans with strike-and-fade tactics along the Great Chain.
6oiQtLP.png

kB7iCm0.png

Thuan sends a diplomat to Constantinople with an offer of peace. "You beat us fair and square, oh high and mighty defenders of Islam" reads the diplomat, from King Thuan's peace speech. he continues with several hours worth of platitudes, all delivered in a flat monotone. Rumor has it that the Ottoman Emperor accepted the deal because itt was faster than listening to the whole speech.

Persia sits in the way of the Southern chain with no notable allies or defenses. Thuan attacks immediately.
JtxlmUE.png

SZHPBg0.png

Nogai remains an obstruction to progress, so Thuan attacks as soon as truces will allow. The capture of the new land violates the laws of the Great Chain, but Thuan assures all that it will be for as short a time as possible
ITlZX9X.png

ZFfF8CV.png

True to his word, he allows lands to be transferred to Khiva. He also makes peace with Persia, having taken all of the land from them that will be required.

On more province stands in violation of the Rule of the Long, but Russia refuses to buy it until hey are at peace. Thuan bides his time.
pQVqIuk.png

8GmZxci.png

WkbBk5P.png

Thuan takes a moment to consult the maps of the realm to plan his next conquest. He realizes something is.... a bit off with the lettering. The map-maker is executed, and new maps are commissioned.

Thuan consults the prophet. "You stated that the Northern Chain must go above he Black sea, but what of the Southern Chain?" The prophet ponders. "The colonizers of the West have taken almost all of Africa, but leave one province to the natives. This is a sign, You must bridge the gap."

Thuan tells triple-threat Tu Thanh Thai to travel there to take the territory.
qBZ2pTu.png

N9qwngP.png

The province in violation is sold to the Russians, and Thuan plans to take Armenian land, both to the north and south.
UTNNoUu.png

The southern front looks to be smooth sailing for Thuan, but the north is putting Dai Viet on a collision course with Russia. Residents of the Great Chain do not doubt that they will be victorious, but fear it will be at a terrible cost.
2DWUGfZ.png

Also, shameless plug for my new AAR: Random Through the Ages! I'm trying to take a 867 CK2 game all the way through HOI3, changing nations on a 10-year coin-flip-based schedule.

Last edited: