• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's the latest Video Dev Diary with Game Designer Chris King. This one emphasizes the portrait system of the game. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;H-uZNHNrF2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uZNHNrF2Y[/video]​

Check out the latest Crusader Kings II developments:
Web page: http://www.crusaderkings.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Crusaderkings
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Crusaderkings
Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?551-Crusader-Kings-II

Read the written developer diaries here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...usader-kings-2

If you look at the video, you can see some of the characters have 4 grand-parents shown in the character screen ... so that would probably be a yes :)

I just noticed that on the video, but thanks for the answer.

El Cid would be a good one to seek as a foster-father (guardian is the term I guess). I imagine he should be a baron (his father Diego was lord of Vivar, hence his family name). Sancho II was not that bad a military leader, but he was murdered not far into his reign, so who knows what might have been?

To King, or anyone who can speak on the matter as well.

I noticed in the video, when clicking on the Pope's portrait, that he has a ward, and when clicked on, he is shown to be her guardian.

Can you please elaborate on this relationship, does it happen by event, or can you choose perhaps?

A catholic priest with a little girl? What do you think it is? :D

(just kidding)

I wonder if the guardian/ward system is a 1 mentor 1 student system or is it more of a fosterling system, where one guardian may have many wards.

It's nice to see Norse patronymics, it would be nice if it applied to all other cultures:

arabic: ibn (son of)
jewish: ben
russian/slavic. etc.

I wonder if the guardian/ward system is a 1 mentor 1 student system or is it more of a fosterling system, where one guardian may have many wards.

It's nice to see Norse patronymics, it would be nice if it applied to all other cultures:

arabic: ibn (son of)
jewish: ben
russian/slavic. etc.

I think that it will be based on what we saw in EU Rome, where names change based on specific rules, and each culture has its own rules for making patronymics. If you look in Rome's localisation files you will see what I mean.

So cultures with simple prefixes (e.g., ibn, Mac-) or suffixes (e.g., -son, -ovich) will be easy to implement. Those that have irregularities might be harder to do. So maybe we'll see a generic form. And of course if we can change patronymics by event, it could be something that could be coded, for example, with Spanish patronymics, which have some irregularities (e.g., Perez is the patronymic for the son of Pedro).

Here's the latest Video Dev Diary with Game Designer Chris King. This one emphasizes the portrait system of the game. Enjoy!

Lovely!

But as for CK1 there is a sad lack of an overview of the families. I dream of a CK2 with family trees so I can view parents, grandparents, siblings, nephews, nieces, grand-nephews etc etc and easily discover how my character's great-grandfather's sister's son's only daugther's son happens to be the heir apparent... IMHO.

Lovely!

But as for CK1 there is a sad lack of an overview of the families. I dream of a CK2 with family trees so I can view parents, grandparents, siblings, nephews, nieces, grand-nephews etc etc and easily discover how my character's great-grandfather's sister's son's only daugther's son happens to be the heir apparent... IMHO.

You might want to check this vid dd out: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?545096-Video-Dev-Diary-2-Character-database

B-E-A-utiful!

I will have to quit my job because I will be plaing this game forever!

I on the other hand am scared that I, for some reason, happen to 'miss' my train to the army barracks as the game is released around when the duty calls...

I agree. The English, Swedish, and French dynasties look nice, but I hope that we will see a wider variety of portraits soon.

I agree - the more variables the better - such as moles, Habsburg jaws, unfavourable teeth (no dentists around at the time) etc. I also hope there will be battlescars, and when a person obtains the trait "blind" this will also be reflected in his the character's portrait.

I imagine skin colour will be a inheritable thing and they will have equivalent costumes etc.
I'd like to try turning my northern European dynasty gradually black by only taking brides from Ethiopia.

I agree - the more variables the better - such as moles, Habsburg jaws, unfavourable teeth (no dentists around at the time) etc. I also hope there will be battlescars, and when a person obtains the trait "blind" this will also be reflected in his the character's portrait.

..and more ease with inheriting haircolour would be great. I found it nigh-on impossible in CK1 to breed a family of fairhaired men. Even though it would not benefit my dynasty claim-wise, I only married my characters (male and female) to other blond/fairhaired characters for generations. I discovered that my court was easily flooded with blond young ladies, but hardly any men received the blond hair.

There are possibilities there, if you read the DD on character portraits and modding. You can add visual effects for any trait and many other things apparently. So blind, plague-ridden, severely wounded characters with severe jaw problems might be shown in their portraits.

There are possibilities there, if you read the DD on character portraits and modding. You can add visual effects for any trait and many other things apparently. So blind, plague-ridden, severely wounded characters with severe jaw problems might be shown in their portraits.

I've seen that one, but I'm not experienced enough with coding etc to mod my games :) Would be nice if some of these traits were included in the standard game - the more features the better...

I've seen that one, but I'm not experienced enough with coding etc to mod my games :) Would be nice if some of these traits were included in the standard game - the more features the better...

It will be fun to play around with, but I won't claim that the result from my own modding won't look like a three-year-old just defaced a fine portrait with crayons and finger paint. ;)

..and more ease with inheriting haircolour would be great. I found it nigh-on impossible in CK1 to breed a family of fairhaired men. Even though it would not benefit my dynasty claim-wise, I only married my characters (male and female) to other blond/fairhaired characters for generations. I discovered that my court was easily flooded with blond young ladies, but hardly any men received the blond hair.

well, blond hair is a recessive trait :D